• Please log in to reply
1042 replies to this topic

#51 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 19:41

Originally posted by Wolf

Hey Twinny, could you pls show the pics of Grobnik and Preluk (bike tracks, hosted Adriatic GP a while back) for us poor sods? :)

I can only find Grobnik, and it's in low-res on the map...

Posted Image

And I can't take any credit for that; I downloaded a massive file created by TNFer Mark A which has 895 circuits on it - both past & present - plus other things like factories, overlays and the like! Amazing stuff by Mark... :clap:

Advertisement

#52 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 19:59

Complete fantasy - but Alexey has highlighted problem.
What Google Earth needs is a box where you can select the date.

#53 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 902 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 20:09

Being a cartographer, I know the history of space imaging... In 1960-72, American spy satellites Corona had Keyhole onboard monochrome cameras, which provided up to 2 m resolution, and 15-degree forward/backward deviation of optical axis was available. These images are unclassified now - so why not the source for 'Nostalgic Google Earth'?

Dreams, dreams... :rolleyes:

#54 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 20:29

Thanks, Stu. :) It seems the resolution is similar to that on Google Local, while Preluk goes a notch further than the resolution I posted (BTW, You probably missed Preluk because it's made of the public roads, so doesn't have 'racetrack surroundings'). Thanks. :)

#55 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 21:00

on google local i was able to have a fair image of mont tremblant . but i dont have a clue how to save the image , maybe i should get that google earth thing .is it a heavy program

#56 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 21:01

Any takers for this one :-

Posted Image

PS this has been updated very recently, it wasnt a sharp picture only a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

David

#57 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 21:02

Originally posted by Alexey Rogachev
I have Google Earth at my home PC, too. Great thing, but... there are only four circuits on the territory of former USSR covered by high-resolution imagery, namely: Luzhniki (Moscow), Bikernieki and Mežaparks (Riga), and Pirita-Kose-Kloostrimetsa (Tallinn). And the main disadvantage that Google Earth makes is the present-day imagery - IMO (from the point of view of a person who knows things about national racing that happened some 30...40 years ago much better than things happening now), it's worth making up another 'Nostalgic Google Earth', including images from the 70's :)

Hi, I built a google earth as complete as possible of all racing tracks (now and past) and i would like to have the russians one... as i surely have some miss over there... would you mind if i ask you some names you related and that i don't have ? I've to check for that tomorrow... I will let you know...

Of course... all my google earth (kmz) files are on disposal to any :wave:

..... And free to be corrected in case :blush:

#58 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,518 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 21:09

Originally posted by frogeye59
Any takers for this one :-

Posted Image

PS this has been updated very recently, it wasnt a sharp picture only a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

David

Roof of the Fiat Factory in Turin?

#59 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 21:16

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Roof of the Fiat Factory in Turin?

Hoped it might take a little longer than 8 minutes, well done Ross !! should have known better with TNF'rs

This area has been updated very recently as only a stones throw from Fiat Lingotto is the olympic stadium with the stage structure, from the opening night of the winter games, clearly shown.

Cheers

David

Advertisement

#60 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,350 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 22:02

Has anyone else noticed the 2 Ferrari transporters by the track at Fiorano?

Well, yes, of course you have!

#61 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 22:53

Can anyone identify the former [World Championship-winning] occupants of these premises?

Posted Image

(I used to live up the road)

#62 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 22:59

Check this out gentlemen.

You do not need modern day satellites to dig out what is left of the old circuits. Remember the cold war? Just about every inch of the planet was photographed at an altitude somewhat lower than the satellites.

I found this one while doing a search and it was taken in October 1963 and plainly shows the Augusta International Speedway seven track complex.

Drag strip at top. One half mile oval just below. The karting and micro-midgets tracks to the right of the oval. The motorcross in that same area. The three mile road circuit at bottom and the lakes that were to be used for hydro-plane racing.

Heck, you can even see the golf course in the infield of the road circuit.

Henry

Posted Image

#63 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 23:25

A long forgotten hillclimb.

The flat out blast from the startline with the heron lake to your left. At the top left of the photo, and obscured by trees, the tight hairpin right that would lead you upwards towards the finishing line.

http://img130.images...illclimb0sm.jpg

But where on Google earth are we ?

#64 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 23:26

Originally posted by Twin Window
Can anyone identify the former [World Championship-winning] occupants of these premises?

Posted Image

(I used to live up the road)

cooper maybe . its probably in england or the guy at the top of the photo is in the wrong lane

#65 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 23:32

Not Cooper, Philippe - but in the UK, yes...

#66 Paul Ranson

Paul Ranson

• 199 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 00:08

Brabham?

(The lat/long is a clue...)

Paul

#67 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 00:21

Smart-arse! I knew someone would work it out that way... (but I'm buggered if I know how) Well done, Paul. :up:

Yep, it's the old Brabham HQ in Chessington, which - when I lived a short distance away in 1991/2 - were occupied by Yamaha to facilitate their F1 engine operation. I saw Herbie Blash a couple of times last year, and from what he said about still being involved with them I got the impression that he's perhaps still based there.

BTW, can the co-ordinates tell you the name of any given town, or do you have to work that out seperately?

#68 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:37

I used ww2 to 1960s aerial photography extensively in chasing old circuits in Australia, and got some great photos. The RAAF had stored most of its old stuff with the National Library in Canberra, and I worked about 100 yards away. Marvellously convenient.

But, Twin Window - what's the address of that former Brabham building, for the proposed TNF Guided Tour? I'll want to include it in my June strolls through motor racing history.

#69 Paul Ranson

Paul Ranson

• 199 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:34

BTW, can the co-ordinates tell you the name of any given town, or do you have to work that out seperately?

I just used Google Earth as a map to look at the area, and I knew Brabham were thereabouts.

BTW if you go to www.streetmap.co.uk, enter N51:22:17,W00:17:18 in the search box and choose lat/long then you get a map of the area.

Paul

#70 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:42

Originally posted by bill moffat

The flat out blast from the startline with the heron lake to your left. At the top left of the photo, and obscured by trees, the tight hairpin right that would lead you upwards towards the finishing line.

http://img130.images...illclimb0sm.jpg

I think I saw a Marcus Pye piece about this place recently and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! It was a short hill in what's now National Trust land, and was last used in the mid-70s. That's going to annoy me now - can't think of the name at all...

Of course, if it's not that one, it'll all be for nothing anyway.

#71 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:59

Terry - it's on the junction of Cox Lane and Roebuck Road, Chessington, Surrey. Brabham were based there from 1962 to 1989 I believe and every time I drove past there (at least twice a day) my mind would inevitably wander to thinking of all the famous drivers who'd peeled off into their entrance...

Not much to look at when compared to Ketteringham Hall though!

Posted Image

#72 MCS

MCS

• 4,139 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:05

Originally posted by James Page

I think I saw a Marcus Pye piece about this place recently and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! It was a short hill in what's now National Trust land, and was last used in the mid-70s. That's going to annoy me now - can't think of the name at all...

Of course, if it's not that one, it'll all be for nothing anyway.

Is it Dyrham Park, near Chippenham?

Don't know if they still provide such a facility, but streetmap used to give aerial views of some areas. It was similar to Google Earth, but not with the zoom option and, in fairness somewhat limited in comparison. I can certainly remember using it for Crystal Palace and the images were very similar to those posted by Twinny earlier in the thread.

Did anybody else ever use it?

#73 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:08

Originally posted by MCS

Is it Dyrham Park, near Chippenham?

Don't think Dyrham Park had any water in such close proximity, and the top of the hill went (I think) 90-degree left followed by 90-degree right and then up almost on to the A46!

#74 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:15

James, National Trust land yes, so you are getting close.

I pre-empted Twinny's experience by blocking out the co-ordinates, so you are on your own !

#75 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:01

Living : lat=43.5698591173, lon=6.98657149836 (Lat : 43°34'11.49"N Lon : 6°59'11.66"E)
Working : lat=43.6107397829, lon=7.07388801142 (Lat : 43°36'38.66"N Lon : 7° 4'26.00"E)
Resting : lat=41.2153349163, lon=9.42676975364 (Lat : 41°12'55.21"N Lon: 9°25'36.37"E)

:wave:

#76 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:09

Do you use the E80 to commute to work, then?  ;)

#77 St.Hubbins

St.Hubbins

• 119 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:16

Here :wave:

Posted Image

#78 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:23

James, National Trust land yes, so you are getting close.

I pre-empted Twinny's experience by blocking out the co-ordinates, so you are on your own !

It's Penrice in south Wales! I think...

#79 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:36

Indeed it is ! 840 yards of private driveway used just 5 times between 1972 and 1974.

The Penrice estate was owned and run by the Methuen-Campbells who graciously allowed these unlikely events to take place. Perhaps not the most challenging of courses but it was (and remains) a gorgeous location. The Hill record was set at just over 29 seconds.

The surrounding area is very beautiful and I pay a couple of visits a year. The local beach at Oxwich is wonderful (although very crowded in the summer), whilst the finest beach in the UK (but don't tell anyone) is 5 miles down the Gower Road at Rhossili.

Advertisement

#80 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:45

Glad that came back to me - would have driven me mad all day! Marcus Pye spoke fondly of it, too.

:up:

#81 Macca

Macca

• 3,534 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 15:48

Posted Image

Syracuse now, with the old road circuit marked in red - the start/finish in the new autodrome is at the same point.

Paul M

#82 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 19:51

As it took just 8 minutes for Fiats Lingotto Factory to be recognised, how about this English venue. ???

Clocks ticking .......

Posted Image

Cheers

David

#83 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 19:58

Harewood?

#84 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:00

that'll be 7 minutes then.....I'll get me coat...!!!!

Harewood it is Tony.

Cheers

David

#85 MCS

MCS

• 4,139 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:05

I did wonder (honest!) - but I've noticed that it's difficult to decipher the direction of the road in the smaller ImageShack mode. If you look at the Harewood pic, it's only when you click on the enlarged version that the course is properly visible - or is that just my eyesight :rolleyes: ooh er...

#86 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:06

When I first saw the thumbnail, I just noticed the big looping 's' and thought of Fintray - but looking more closely (on the larger image) the road going through the farm buildings is the giveaway!

On the subject of Harewood - are there any other hills where the main paddock is at the top?
(That's not a 'quiz' - I can't think of any in the UK).

#87 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,350 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:22

Can someone give me co-ordinates for Winton, please? I'm blowed if I can find it! :(

#88 MCS

MCS

• 4,139 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:34

Originally posted by 2F-001
On the subject of Harewood - are there any other hills where the main paddock is at the top?
(That's not a 'quiz' - I can't think of any in the UK).

Scammonden Dam (if my memory is correct). Also (I think, no, I'm pretty sure) Bouley Bay.

Others here will know better I'm sure!

#89 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:55

now let's go for the Targa Florio "Piccolo Circuito delle Madonie"...

;)

#90 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,425 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:26

Are you guys using the free 'Google Earth' download?
Anyone having trouble using it with McAfee Firewall?

I have installed the free download, but can only get it to work when I completely disable my firewall :eek:

Rob

Yes, I have configured my firewall for the Google Earth .exe ;)

#91 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:29

Great thread twinny.

Here is one... Where isn the world???

Posted Image

Should be easy for this group.

Mo.

#92 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,863 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:39

Phoenix Park?

#93 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:42

Yes sir :up: . ten minutes...not bad. Have you ever been to the "Park", Tim?

#94 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,863 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:47

Yes, but not to see racing, unfortunately. I've only been to Dublin once, and didn't take a circuit map with me. I tried to work out where the circuit went (without much success) but recognised the roundabout in your pic.

#95 Don Speekingleesh

Don Speekingleesh

• 1,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:54

If you follow the main avenue past the roundabout towards the top left of the pic the track starts up there. It's not fully in the picture.
Here's a map.

Posted Image

#96 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 21:59

I don't think the current circuit is fully captured in my pic. From the roundabout, go up the road to your left and take the first left you can see. That is the current circuit. It goes out of frame to a hairpin and back into frame on the other road just above. It then returns down the main road towards the roundabout making (what is now) a right turn to complete the lap. Clear as mud I know. This might help.

Posted Image

:)

#97 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 22:06

I posted this on here a while back and got told off and was told to post it in Racing comments instead and the thread here locked.

This is a combination of info from here and other sites, but primarily myself searching for circuits using a number of well known circuit sites (and personal knowledge).

There are over 900 items in the file now.

I have tried to put the location icon as close as possible to the startline/pits. For race circuits it's easy to see the layout, however for road/street circuits it's not so obvious, as such have a look at the following sites.
http://www.racingcircuits.net/
http://www.gdecarli.it/.%5Cindex.htm
http://www.silhouet....cks/tracks.html

The key I've used is
Red Car = old Circuit
Yellow Car = Current circuit
Green Car = future development

With a ring round it it's a test track.

A building is a factory or similar.

If anyone has any corrections or additional circuits then let me know as I'll try and keep the file upto date.

File can be downloaded by right clicking HERE

#98 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 22:35

Originally posted by Mark A

I posted this on here a while back and got told off and was told to post it in Racing comments instead and the thread here locked.

Who said that?

That file of your is amazing, Mark! Barry B should do one for his footie grounds.

#99 VWV

VWV

• 291 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 22:56

:clap: Excellent file Mark! You saved me alot of time looking. I was curious where Ketteringham Hall was and other TNF related places.

As I have been to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum quite a few times I was curious to see how it looked and I didn't recognize it from the location in your file. I think it should be SW of your location on 1600 Wayne Road. See the location here http://maps.google.c...32,0.026951&t=k

Otherwise keep up the great work!

Advertisement

#100 bigears

bigears

• 911 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:01

Any chance of a high res photo image of the Birmingham Superprix track chaps? :)