Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2896 replies to this topic

#2801 cantabriamadrid

cantabriamadrid

• 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 17:05

Hello to all.

I'm Juan Manuel, from Madrid. It took some time visiting some of the posts that appear here, there is an excellent collection of photos and data here.

I'm graphic designer and modeler, and  I have sometimes sought information here, especially the years 70 and 80.

I will continue visiting these pages and when I can, we have talked about the data that I know on any topic.

Greetings

Advertisement

#2802 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,366 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 15:36

Hello Juan Manuel,

Welcome to TNF. Thanks you for your message about photographs I have posted concerning Guy Edwards Brabham BT42/44. I guess you are creating a model of his Ultramar-sponsored car but I am sorry that I can't help with any more photos. Good luck with your research.

#2803 cantabriamadrid

cantabriamadrid

• 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:26

Thanks Alan

#2804 DuncanFlint

DuncanFlint

• 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 15:21

Hello,

My name is Bill, I'm from Columbus, Ohio, and my current interests are the small displacement sports racing cars of the 1950's and 60's.

My own background in motorsports is 12 years in SCCA starting in 1970, but my interest in the sport goes back to the 1950's.  The cars built by Lotus, Elva, Lola, and others were to me the most exciting cars around,  This is when hot rodding was the thing for any high school kid, and all I wanted was a sports car. Now that I'm retired I've started scratch building the cars that interest me.  The key word there is 'Started'.  There are more skills involved than I currently have available, but I'm making progress.

At the moment I'm drawing up plans for a Coventry Climax FWB. There isn't much data available online. Except for hundreds of photos all I have is a bore, stroke, a few miscellaneous dimensions, and a really good drawing of the oil pan, or is sump the correct word. Overall dimensions are just guess work on my part based only on that information.

My usual way of defining size is by buying a few gaskets, but I haven't had any luck in that so far.  It is my hope that some one will help me fill in some of the blanks.

Thank you.

#2805 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:40

Welcome to the forum, Bill...

A thread in this forum about the FWA/FWB engines is sure to get the attention of the owners of such engines and someone is bound to be able to measure up the dimensions you need.

What car are you building first?

#2806 DuncanFlint

DuncanFlint

• 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 23:49

Thanks Ray,

I've been reading a book 'Lotus the Early Years'.  I bought it to see if It has any Coventry information, but it doesn't.  It is however a great story on how Colin met the Allen boys and the rest as they say is history.  In any case I think the Mk 10.  Love those fins :lol:

https://www.flickr.c...ech/16779106384

I finished up my plans today.  Well I call them plans. They are really just shapes to make template which when assembled they will be an engine.  All the small details will be added after that.  It's an agonizingly slow process so any information I can get will be incorporated in to what I have. I started on the cam cover this morning, but am stuck ATM on how to make the 'Coventry Climax' lettering in 1/10 scale.  Photo etching is the common way, but I don't have the equipment to do that.

Edited by DuncanFlint, 10 August 2015 - 23:51.

#2807 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:39

From memory there was a book called Climax in Coventry...

I don't know how much detail it would contain, but once again, if you start a thread about your quest someone will come good.

If you e.mail me r@ybell.net I will put you in touch with someone who can measure up an FWB for you.

#2808 Fidini

Fidini

• 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:28

Hello, my name is Kym Ninnes. I am from South Australia and have been lurking on this forum off and on for some years

I am a clubman(7s) enthusiast and have been involved in the Adelaide group build (18 cars) of the Clemente Clubman, based on Mazda MX5  mechanicals.

In 2005  i drove my car around Australia (28,800Km) and wrote a book about my adventures, KymRoundOz    www.kymroundoz.com

After  that trip, along with a couple of mates I built the Fidini clubman as a supersprint and hillclimb car. I have campaigned this for the last six years and have gained great enjoyment from it.

I am now retired and as a retirement project am writing a book on "A History of Clubman Sportscars in South Australia. I am hoping to further my research by reaching out to this forum for information and photographs of interstate clubman cars that came to SA to race at Mallala and Adelaide International Raceway or hillclimb at Collingrove from 1960 onwards.

Shortly I will start a thread seeking this information.

As a starter I have come up with 107 different makes/brands/types so far. I have some information on about half of these. Others are just a name of car and driver in a race program. These, in particular are the ones I need information about.

regards

kym Ninnes

www.kymroundoz.com

kymclubman@gmail.com

#2809 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 14:57

I was just talking to Graeme Baird yesterday about the time he took his Hargal to AIR...

He wasn't alone that trip, either. They did a Wanneroo meeting as well as AIR, I'd suspect it was about '77 or '78.

Anyone who like Clubmans has my ear. Welcome Kym.

#2810 Fidini

Fidini

• 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:28

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'm going to find lots of information on the forum.
Graeme Baird came over for the AIR meeting on 24 October 1976 with the Hargal. The program says the car was black and of 1300cc capacity and that it was entered by David Medley. Photos of the car and driver at AIR would be beaut.
Thanks again for the welcome.

Regards
Kym

#2811 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 16:02

I think it was Graeme Baird and Jeoff Turner who made the transcontinental trip...

Kym, I think I might start a thread about Aussie Clubmans.

#2812 SprintCore

SprintCore

• 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 20:21

Hello I am Ken from Indiana and an old hardcore sprint car fan!

#2813 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 14:11

What part of Indiana, Ken?

There's plenty of racing history in that state!

#2814 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:09

Ray, sorry, I admit to having never viewed this great thread!

Ken from Indiana, do you go to Paragon Speedway? A good friend's Grandfather founded that place. And like my wife and I, he travels full-time in a VW Westfalia.

We hope to hit a race there sometime next year with him as our guide.

#2815 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:52

Maybe you need to introduce yourself then?

I'm sure Dennis would appreciate it...

Edited by Ray Bell, 09 September 2015 - 08:52.

#2816 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 16:26

Thanks Ray, up to my eyeballs and about to go remote for several months again... so that'll be a while!

Edited by E1pix, 09 September 2015 - 16:28.

#2817 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 7,436 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 21:27

Safe travels, Eric...it's been good to read your posts, of late. :wave:

#2818 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:56

Thanks, Dub Brother!

Can't tell Ya how many friends the tank brings us out there. :-)))

#2819 CarZoom

CarZoom

• 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:28

I'm new to the forum. great site. saying hello to all  :up:

Advertisement

#2820 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:35

Well... where are you from?

What are your special interests?

We all look forward to seeing what you can add to our collective knowledge and enthusiasm...

#2821 SimeonSasparella

SimeonSasparella

• 124 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 13:53

Hello to everyone

Thought I'd introduce myself, even if I'd already been here with different username (I've already contacted the moderators about this)

I'm a 35 year old race fan from Italy, my favourite racing series are 90's CART and IRL, different SuperTouring series from that era, old GT FIA,  and World Superbikes 

Favourite car: Cart Reynards, Chrysler Viper, Lister Storm, Panoz LMP1 Roadster S

Favourite drivers: Jean Alesi, Alex Zanardi, Gabriele Tarquini

:clap:

I marvel at the quality of the posts in this section

Edited by SimeonSasparella, 23 November 2015 - 13:54.

#2822 armey

armey

• 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:54

Hi,

My name is Durand, I have been an F1 fan since I was a little girl and would enjoy watching the Grand Prix of Monaco on ABC's Wide World of Sports. I never really fell in love with stock car racing, and instead spent my time and energy finding out all I could about F1. When I was about 11 a family friend gave me two items which sealed my addiction to the wonders of Grand Prix racing. A copy of Autosport and the program from the British Grand Prix that he had attended the previous year. I was hooked. I am indeed a fan of Mr. Surtees. coquegsm.com

Edited by armey, 27 November 2015 - 09:12.

#2823 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 15:08

Durand, any fan of Fearless John is a friend of mine!

You are in France? Will you be at the Monaco Historique next year?

That's a part of my grand plan, maybe we can meet up?

#2824 Rik1

Rik1

• 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 16:00

Hello to all

I own a Rickman kawasaki motorcycle and would like to find out a bit more about it.

#2825 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 14:05

Has anyone else noticed how most of the newbies who posted here in recent months do not even reach double figures in number of posts made?

What does that tell us? :well:

#2826 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,766 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:46

Has anyone else noticed how most of the newbies who posted here in recent months do not even reach double figures in number of posts made?

One that has broken double figures posted all 18 of 'em in a thread he started and has not appeared in this one.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 12 January 2016 - 09:47.

#2827 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 22:12

They might not like the unfriendly nature of the place as it is today...

Anyone copping the flak I've got in the past couple of months would never stay.

#2828 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 7,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:00

:rolleyes:

#2829 CapitalKarts

CapitalKarts

• 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:40

Hey everyone, I'm new around here.

I've always had some interest in cars and racing though never really looked into it.

Recently, go karting in particular has really interested me, more so than anything else. I'm currently trying to convince a friend that we should build one (just for fun), wouldn't that be awesome? 

Is there anyone else here that enjoys karting or perhaps, has even built their own? Let me know!

Thanks,

Nick 

#2830 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 18:50

Hi, Nick:

First, Welcome!

The following about racing only applies if you've been driving a while, are responsible and have some spendable income to enjoy. So while I realize your question is about "fun karts," I've included info should you love it and want to race.

Regardless, first I would go and rent karts a few times to make sure you love it, can handle it, and are committed to going faster. Be forewarned, though, it can be very addictive and consume lots of money if you want to race and be competitive. Early purchases to never scrimp on are a proper helmet and maybe a used, proper driving suit.

There's a few of us karters here, but not many. "Eldougo" is one, "Bullhead" has been around them as well (and they're both good guys), and I raced off and on since 1977.

Once you've run lots of laps in a rental, if you wish to continue, then I would recommend buying a used racing kart, preferably a clutch kart as the shifter karts are much harder to learn on -- so much harder newbies often get frustrated and give up far too soon. I would not recommend building one, they are very specialized and building one that would work well would be difficult to impossible. How much money you have, and how fast you want to go, will determine the type of used kart to start with. If you just want to enjoy it as a hobby from time to time, you can pick up a well-used kart for a reasonable price, and put hard compound tires on it that will last a long time.

I would go to some local races and make new friends, and get onto some kart forums to see what's available and is of a reasonably low cost to operate. Four-stroke engines are far more durable than two-strokes, we last raced with a Biland SA250 in 2002 and that engine is very fast and nearly indestructible. It may be too fast for a newbie, but if you consider yourself an apt driver -- not prone to errors and crashes -- as long as you're careful to build up speed you should be okay. It is capable of going well over 100 mph on a long straightaway, but runs more like 80 on a normal sprint kart track.

There has been an influx of new four-stroke motors made this past decade or so, and some didn't make homologation or catch on as hoped, so might be really reasonable in cost for having nowhere else to go. But ask around to make sure parts are readily available. Of the two-strokes, Rotax has been around a long time, and are very good and well supported. That's what Eldougo raced.

Good Luck!

Edited by E1pix, 24 January 2016 - 19:15.

#2831 RebeccaS

RebeccaS

• 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 15:27

Hi Everyone I'm Rebecca, 

Amazing to see that this post dates all the way back to 1999 and it's still going strong!

I'm a big F1 fan and love keeping updated with all the news and updates for the upcoming season. :D

#2832 CapitalKarts

CapitalKarts

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:49

Hey E1pix, thanks for such an epic reply!

I've had a few runs around an indoor track and enjoy it. I've read around and do a little bit of research and as you say, it does seem to consume a lot of money to race and become competitive. So for now, I don't think I'm in the position to worry about competing; though I imagine I'll probably change my mind in the future. 

It's good to know there's some karters here. Pretty experienced to by the sounds of it. 

You've given me a lot to research and think about. 

Thanks again.

#2833 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 19:16

You're welcome. :-)

#2834 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 17:19

Paul Butler here. Rejoined this forum after being away for a long time! I got here by way of a search about a strange book about Dick Seaman being a spy and when I searched to see what the heck it was all about as it seemed somewhat bizarre to say the least the first hit brought me to TNF.

My particular area of interest is the pre-war Mercedes-Benz team. I fell in love with the W125 a very long time ago and , to me, that is the epitome of what a racing car should look like! I have over the years collected bits & pieces about them and pride of place on the wall behind me goes to signed photographs of Caracciola , Lang , von Brauchtisch and , of course, Dick Seaman.

The Lang photo I got by the simple expedient back in the 70's of writing a letter to Herr Neubauer care of Mercedes-Benz. He was at that time very ill but his assistant kindly replied to me with Hermann Lang's address and I then wrote to him! Back by return of post came a personally signed picture.

von Brauchitsch was almost similar. I saw an article where he'd done some promotional work for McClaren so I wrote to them asking for a signed picture from him and up it turned. 

I also have a signed photo from Raymond Mays as well as correspondence from him back in the 70's when as a keen young motor racing fan I wrote to him and got invited to Bourne for afternoon tea. 

I do go across all areas of Motor Sport however and still follow F1 out of some misguided loyalty after over 50 years of watching it ....

Glad I found this forum again and will make sure I keep up to speed with it once more

#2835 MikeJ

MikeJ

• 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:08

Hi , I’m Mike and live in Brisbane, Australia.

Long time reader and very infrequent poster (sorry) but it’s time to correct that.

Originally from Sydney, my first memories on motor sport and hence the start of my passion was from my uncle taking myself and brothers to either the Sydney Showground Speedway or Warwick Farm in the mid-sixties on what seemed a very regular basis. That with Amaroo and Oran Park throughout the 70’s and I was hooked. Therefore the 60-70’s to me was the best of motor racing and one I always find myself going back to view/research.

Vivid memories as a 9yo watching Rindt at WF in 1969 Tasman Race since it was so wet ! I was standing on the second step of the bridge at the esses.

First car was a Mini (1976) and have had several Cooper S’s  since and the love of the great car continues. Currently restoring a 997 Cooper and I have a Mk2 as a daily drive. Love to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon in the garage.

Have been involved in the sport as a crew member (20 years) and was lucky enough to see all of the old and current tracks in Oz.  Regular attendance at the races at Bathurst for 40 years and the AGP for 35 years. Indy 500 and the Canadian GP in 1995 on a road trip still was the trip of all trips.

A F1 GP ‘tragic’ however also follow NASCAR and the V8’s(to a degree).

Have a nice collection of memorabilia from the years that I add to now and then (just to annoy the missus!)

#2836 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:15

Hi to the two Mikes...

You say, MikeJ, that you've seen 'all the old and current tracks,' just how extensive is your experience with the older circuits?

Did you go exploring for circuits of yesteryear, as I did back in the sixties and seventies? That was a fascinating adventure and I believe I'm the only person who's seen every circuit on which the AGP has been held.

But even minor circuits. Mt Druitt, for instance, Parramatta Park, bigger ones like Gnoo Blas and Wirlinga-Thurgoona, have you been looking for them?

#2837 MikeJ

MikeJ

• 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 21:08

Hi to the two Mikes...

You say, MikeJ, that you've seen 'all the old and current tracks,' just how extensive is your experience with the older circuits?

Did you go exploring for circuits of yesteryear, as I did back in the sixties and seventies? That was a fascinating adventure and I believe I'm the only person who's seen every circuit on which the AGP has been held.

But even minor circuits. Mt Druitt, for instance, Parramatta Park, bigger ones like Gnoo Blas and Wirlinga-Thurgoona, have you been looking for them?

Hi Ray

Thanks for the welcome.

Haha....My 'all the old and current tracks' may have been pushing the facts a little however i have done plenty of exploring but mainly through the 90's and to now. Even as late as last month i traveled out to Lowood and visited what i believe was the old area where the circuit once was. Did the same with Caversham when i was over in WA and Longford when i was in TAS. Was at the Gnoo-Blas event a few months back however the Wirlinga-Thurgoona area is still to be explored. 

My relatives lived not far from Parramatta Park so that was always visited back in the 60's.

You made me think so i refreshed my list of old tracks and yes, still a 'few' to tick off !!!!

#2838 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 50,200 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:27

Born of humility, a tentative and werra tardy self-intro:

Je suis Zmeej, du Canada, a long-standing lurker hereabouts, and a presence in the Paddock Club whose annoying qualities I'll endeavour to keep to a minimum here. :blush:  :p

Edited by Zmeej, 25 April 2016 - 01:28.

#2839 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:46

Great to see you here'bouts, Zmeej!!!

(I still await a race report from Capital Karts) :-)

Advertisement

#2840 Deichenb

Deichenb

• 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 14:47

Hello,

My name is David and I am most interested in historic endurance race cars.  I enjoy all kinds of disparate sporting cars, unusual cars, and cars with unusual histories.  I found this site as I am currently researching a 1928 Chrysler 72 documented to have raced in the 1928 MM, and I was amazed to find an old thread about the car on this site as part of a Google search.  I am active on other boards, including BaT, Fchat, and rennlist.

All the best,

David

#2841 enrico_melli

enrico_melli

• 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:53

Hi everyone

As TNF has been my reference point for the last few years whenever I want to get deeper in some historical matter, it's about time I introduce myself...

Italian from Ferrara, I started following F1 in 1980 at the age of 8. 

From the Argentinian GP 1981 my brother and I started buying AutoSprint with our pocket money (I cannot remember the amount of times we fought over whose turn it was to read it first...). 

In 1987 I spent hours and days in a bookshop to furtively read and copy the results of Grand Prix of the '30s (internet still had to arrive, the book was "Le leggendarie Auto Union" (Cancellieri-De Agostini), I bought it two years later). 

In 1994, like every year since '81, I was in Imola at Tosa when what happened happened. 

Nowadays I love browsing my Autocourse ebooks collection, where I get lost studying the lap charts.

I follow the actual F1 like many people go to a Mass: I feel I have to do it, but I look forward to what to do next...

Cheers, 

Enrico

PS

These the books I read, in chronological order, over the years (I made the list yesterday)

33 anni di gran premi iridati (Cancellieri-De Agostini)

La formula più lunga (Pignacca-Belingardi)

Le leggendarie Auto Union (Cancellieri-De Agostini)

Grand Prix Story (Cimarosti)

Piloti, che gente (Ferrari)

Gilles vivo (De Agostini)

Nuvolari (Santini)

Tazio vivo (De Agostini)

Una curva cieca. Vita di Achille Varzi (Terruzzi)

Speed was my life (Neubauer)

Rosemeyer! (Rosemeyer Beinhorn - Nixon)

Stirling Moss my cars my career (Moss-Nye)

Ferrari (Biagi)

Champion Year (Hawthorn)

La Ferrari in tuta (Borsari)

È questione di cuore (Regazzoni)

My years with Ferrari (Lauda)

Faster! (Stewart-Manso)

Cevert: la mort dans mon contract (Halle)

Graham (Hill-Ewart)

Winning is not enough (Stewart)

The technique of motor racing (Taruffi)

The racing driver (Jenkinson)

Kings of the Nurburgring (Nixon)

And the ones that I own, but I haven't read yet (and probably those in German will never be read...)

Jochen Rindt (Tremayne)

The unfair advantage (Donohue)

It was fun (Rudd)

James Hunt (Donaldson)

Stirling Moss (Edwards)

Bernie (Watkins)

Kampf um Meter und Sekunden (Von Brauchitsch)

Mein Mann der Rennfahrer (Rosemeyer Beinhorn)

Mein Leben als Rennfahrer (Caracciola)

Männer Frauen und Motoren (Neubauer) (German extended version of "Speed was my life")

Edited by enrico_melli, 05 September 2016 - 11:00.

#2842 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:46

A very nice list, Enrico...

If you have the opportunity to add The Design and Behavior of the Racing Car by Moss and Pomeroy you won't be disappointed, while Peter Helck's book, Great Auto Races, is a different era and type of racing altogether. All of this illustrated and written about by an eyewitness.

And a welcome to you, and to David, I hope you both can do a lot of learning and contributing to TNF.

#2843 enrico_melli

enrico_melli

• 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 20:58

Thank you, Ray.
I'll add those titles in my list. Just back from the weekend in England at the Goodwood Revival...standing on the Lavant bank, seeing the drivers negotiating the way out of Lavant turn...what a glorious experience

#2844 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:24

Sounds like the kind of fun I had discovering Cadwell Park in June, Enrico...

Such things come to us so rarely these days.

By the way, if you ever stumble across a gentleman named Vincenzo Basile, who would now be in his late sixties, please let me know and please make sure he gets in touch with me.

It was he who introduced me to AutoSprint back in the seventies when he briefly lived in Australia.

#2845 enrico_melli

enrico_melli

• 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 23:04

Sounds like the kind of fun I had discovering Cadwell Park in June, Enrico...

Such things come to us so rarely these days.

... I will post some of the photos I took, in the dedicated thread (I have been lucky capturing some of those slides)

I certainly will tell him to contact you, if I'll meet mr Basile in some Italian forum.

Talking about AutoSprint, as said I started reading it from Argentinian GP '81 and, by chance, that was the first number of the new director, Gianni Cancellieri, who started a new editorial line that I would define milder than the one of his predecessor, Marcello Sabbatini.

I discovered later the way Autosprint was in the '70s and honestly I'm not fond of it...i found it polemic, sensationalist, biased (eg: Sabbatini always hated Lauda, i'd like to show you the magazine cover after Fuji '76) and often stirring the lowest gut instincts of its public...but that's just my point of view and perhaps not many Italians frequenting this forum will agree with me

Edited by enrico_melli, 16 September 2016 - 23:06.

#2846 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 531 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 23:46

Hello to all!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cat:

I am a long-time member of this forum, and I feel it's time to do a proper presentation.

I am Guilherme Ribeiro and I have 27 years old, and was born and live since then in Porto, Portugal.

I grew up passionate for knowledge, mainly history, and with motor racing and cycling (the first being the dominant) as the biggest sport interests, so it was quite easy to intermix both areas :drunk:

With 13 years old I discovered this forum and soon I became amazed with how much it was possible to discover here, it really widened my horizons in such a way I became eager to discover more and more.... I confess I was rather clumsy when I started and was too young to understand some rules and moderate my immense curiosity, and I changed my nick some times.... teenage things, you know....

Now I am finishing my studies in history, I am starting the Master Degree by now, and I'd really like to professionalize my works and, who knows, write a book and work for magazines. And contact directly or via web with people related to the sport to write more about the unknown, as I think doing deeper works on the "mainstream" can be counterproductive.

I am planning a website, my Wanderings of Motorsport Historian Blog was just a sample and is deactivated while I wait for the website, but I'll put here the presentation I wrote there..... hope you don't fall asleep with the length :yawnface:

http://www.motorracingpast.com/

Hello to all!!!!!

Ahhh one more motorsport blog is definitively born…. It survived its experimental phase and was very useful for me to build the momentum any bigger project needs. Yet, before further considerations, let’s present myself.

My name is Guilherme Ribeiro, I was born in Porto, Portugal in 18/1/1989; where I still live. I use to say that my predilection for history and motorsport were born with me, and it was question of a very short time to join both… I dimly remember seeing a white and red Footwork racing (which means it was before 1994), but the first season I have vivid memories was 1994 – it was a terrible year to become a motorsport passionate with the terrible memories of Senna and Ratzenberger; nevertheless it was the first of 21 complete seasons (and counting) I followed. On the other side, I was also quite young when I started wandering over some big encyclopedias that came to my house, looking for the bios of the kings and princes, the history of the unknown countries, and so on. Growing up that way it may hardly surprise anyone that both areas mixed themselves and I developed the (bad) habit of looking for old motoring magazines…. No comments……

As I grew up (and cable TV appeared) the range of my interest in this sport broadened, and slowly I proceeded to follow CART, WRC and Le Mans… Reading the weekly Autosport (the Portuguese one), I discovered the names of McRae, Sainz, Doohan, Schneider, Cecotto, Biaggi, Wollek, Dalmas & Co.; but also received minor insight to an apparently distant past. Soon the interest on old Portuguese magazines turned into a small collection! And then the World Wide Web made his entry…. It was a brave new world to a boy that had barely reached its teens, but soon the history bug came again and by chance I found The Atlas Nostalgia Forum! Do you know a better place to start? I don’t think so….

My teen years passed by and I went into University, having chosen sciences on middle school. You may think it was a strange decision for a history-hooked guy, but it’s true I always enjoyed biology and chemistry at school, and it also represented a far better chance to get a job. I wrote representED because, after the financial crisis that exploded in 2008, here in Portugal it seems almost everything has almost no future, unless we think about going abroad, but I don’t want to discuss politics….

But it was yet 2006, and I chose Biochemistry, and was enjoying the degree; so naturally (studying under the damned Bologna Process) I proceeded to the Master’s degree, now in Applied Microbiology, even if it in fact the thesis was more on biochemistry than pure microbiology, but both areas are deeply connected. It was a phenomenal career opportunity, and you may wonder why I decided to quit. The fact was I was amidst a huge vocational crisis, and absolutely strained of all the tension and pressure a young researcher is submitted. It was taking a heavy toll on me, and the so promising job chances were slowly disappearing amidst one of the biggest crisis Portugal and the World have met. It all reached a point of no-return; and after discussing my options with parents, friends and the closer teachers on the University, I’d decided to finish the thesis and say a definitive goodbye to the area.  I had a good farewell; and applied to the Faculty of Arts for a degree in… guess what? History!!!! By the way, my biggest area of interest is History of Central Asia, in particular Mongolia and other empires of the Steppe!!

Back to motorsport, I kept following avidly many disciplines, but the increasingly sanitized circuits – speaking of lack of character, not safety issues – and all the regulations that destroyed part of the essence of the sport – DRS overtaking, SuperRally, every kind of creative restrictions, failures to attack the bigger problems, the sale of F1 rights to CVC – turned me more and more into the past. It has a different charm for a history passionate as me. Not that everything is bad. WEC is in his best phase ever, IndyCar is slowly being more and more competitive (sadly there’s too many things yet to solve), new rules promising a lot for rallying, etc. But with so many magazines and DVD’s it is difficult not to look for those relics in the past, so the historian in me won over the possible motoring journalist, straight flush. I keep watching the sport, reading bout it; but I prefer to research and write about the past. And in matter of fact history gives us lessons and tools to progress and build what it really matters – the future!

The web is almost boundless in its resources, but the flip side is that it’s sooo easy to be lost among so much material!!!! That’s why the most prized items for me are the old documents and magazines; and above them all, the books!! I’m quite old school, as you see; but in spite of that the web provided another (hugely) important ground: it allowed me (and many others) to contact with enthusiasts and researchers from every part of the world. Even more, with the people WHO WERE THERE. The drivers. Mechanics. Photographers. Managers. Journalists…. That’s a never-ending list. And history is that. The whole of that. Of course one can barely reach all, but the fact is all of us were part of it. And that’s great to be part of that process.

Also it’s now quite easy to show our work on the web. Forums, Facebook, Blogs; all those tools allow a newcomer to easily show his work to everybody! And why have I waited so long after so many years researching? Even if I have such an enthusiasm, I never thought seriously on my skills. Then, there was the University, and personal life and studies didn't allow me much time to organize my mind. And on the latter stages of my Master degree I was so tired that I wanted nothing but rest, writing being not properly a restful hobby. All those years were essentials to develop my skills, improve my self-assurance, and organize the huge diversity of ideas I have. Knowledge and research are beautiful, but we have to keep our mind organized and peaceful. From the teen that started writing small pieces under alias to the young man writing this words right now some years had passed, and I lived through many experiences. And it was immensely important. Also what I learnt on the University for History in general applies to sports’ history. Method, quality, reliability… and all of it is written not only for me, but for readers. History is made for you, the readers, the enthusiasts, and the passionate!!

To finish this lengthy presentation, I want to thank you all, everyone that gave me ideas, the ones who pushed me forward, that gave me confidence, the contacts that kindly agreed to help me and answer my questions…. It would be another endless list that turned this dream possible, so THANK YOU ALL, BE WELCOME, I WISH YOU ENJOY! GOOD READING!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by GMiranda, 05 October 2016 - 23:20.

#2847 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 23:26

You're the Real Deal, Guilherme, and we are most fortunate to have you here.

Keep it goin' on! :-)

#2848 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 531 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 23:41

Many many thanks!!!!!!!
It's a great pleasure to me to be part of this community,and for 13 years I have discovered true treasures around,as well as lots of great people. I hope one day to be present in some meeting.

By the way,I hope you enjoy my website. It's still in a development phase,and I won't do inedit things for some time because I want to prepare everything very well. And some topics are nice inspirations for a chronicle or an article.

Edited by GMiranda, 15 October 2016 - 11:13.

#2849 BMWTeamBigazzi

BMWTeamBigazzi

• 221 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:25

Hello everyone!!

Great to be here, even tho i've been subscriber to Autosport for years!! My real name is Myles or Mylo if you prefer!! (The Tweenies have a lot to answer for lol) I love all motorsport but Tin Tops and anything Touring Cars reign supreme!! forget F1!!! Touring Cars are where its at!!! :)

#2850 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,144 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 23:27

Current day F1 does tend to turn one away...

But it's still where the technology is at. That creates its own interest, along with the tradition.

Where are you from, Myles?