Photo

Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2889 replies to this topic

#2851 NCB619

NCB619

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:40

Hi there, just realised Autosport had a forum, so decided to join up.
I'm in Australia, have been following Motorsport since I was 4 years old in 1995-6, mainly Formula 1. When I was younger I wanted to be Murray Walker, so eventually (after changing my mind a million times before I got to uni) did a Sports Journalism degree, but we all know how good that is as a career choice these days here, so I'm working in a completely different field, still enjoying it though.

Advertisement

#2852 HairyScalextrix

HairyScalextrix

• 493 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 16:04

Hello, although I'm unlikely to do more than lurk on this forum (as I doubt I have much to contribute compared to most here) and having seen some responses enough to frighten me off, I'm still more interested in historical racing than current stuff and I'll be happy to learn as much as possible from the posts here.

#2853 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 22:07

While this forum used to be friendlier than it is now, please don't be afraid to contribute... or ask questions...

New blood is always welcomed by the less aggressive types.

#2854 HairyScalextrix

HairyScalextrix

• 493 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 22:31

Thank you Ray, hopefully that proves to be the case, although I am somewhat loath to test the issue.

#2855 Kelly63

Kelly63

• 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:34

Hi

Always found this place interesting so thought I should finally get around to joining.

My main interest is in Formula One and sports car racing from the early 60s to roughly mid 70s. I love going to historic race meetings such as the HSCC and Masters weekends at Brands Hatch, and Goodwood of course.

I collect books from that period too, driver biographies and the like.

Looking forward to contributing, and in fact have already made my first post.

Cheers

#2856 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 141 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:20

I've been on this board for a few years, posting occasionally.  First, a little about myself:

Damon Hynes, Springfield Nebraska.  55 y/o, been following F1 intensely since 1973.  Other interests are volcanology and tornado-chasing.  I've been in the stock market industry in various capacities and for various companies for almost twenty years,

My handle here is 'eibyyz', indicating my interest and appreciation for RUSH the band and Rush, the conservative radio entertainer.

Second:  This part of the forum seems like the right place to present my first novel, Balance, set in let's say sometime around 1988 but I'm not beholden to a calendar.  I started it before my first kid arrived, and it gathered binary dust while I raised kids.  Empty nest meant I had time to revisit it, edit the living hell out of it, and find a place to present it.  I decided that I wanted it out in the public for scrutiny and enjoyment more than I wanted to make a buck off it, so the download is free.  (But if someone wants to make a movie out of it... :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, here 'tis:  https://damonhynes.w...in-one-document .

Thanks, and I hope you like it!

#2857 Alexander M

Alexander M

• 112 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 16:05

Hello!

After some years of reading this forum and occassional posting I thought it would be nice to formally introduce myself to the community.

My name is Alexander, I live in Moscow, and I was interested in motor racing since my childhood.

For the last years my major point of interest has switched to the history of our local motorsports, primarily circuit racing, and I find a great pleasure in going through all that information.

My second hobby is motorsport photography, and I use any opportunity to be present at a motor racing event with a camera in my hands. 

Sometimes it happens that I can combine the two lines, as in a recent couple of years historic racing started to appear in Russia, which I personally admire very much.

Still, I am not only the 'local man' and I am always interested in a worldwide racing scene, even though not digging as deep as in case of the Soviet one, but it is always amazing to read about some obscure cars or series that happened to be built or to take place somewhere on the globe.

I sincerely hope (in fact, I certainly know) that some people at TNF share my interests and I would always welcome any discussions. Hope to pay more attention to this place, as long as my time permits.

:wave:

#2858 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 434 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 17:25

Welcome here Alexander!!! Hope you can show the community more and more about the Easteen racing scene. I have enjoyed your previous works, so I hope you fulfill your dreams to become a professional motoring journalist

#2859 pierrre

pierrre

• 61 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 00:13

hello, name is as used but with an extra  r for that added panache(two r already taken actually). a car motorcycle or speed aficionado

Advertisement

#2860 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 14:36

One day that extra 'r' might give us an extra 'ahhh!...

Where are you from, what are your special interests?

#2861 bruznic

bruznic

• 53 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:46

Hi, I'm bruznic.
I'm a thirty-one year old Belgian who is currently in his 20th full season f1. By that I mean hardcore addicted to f1. Before that it was on and off again thru various reasons.
I live near the zolder track where G. Villeneuve lost his live. And Spa francorchamps is a little over an hour drive. Needless to say I've spend many hours on both tracks for all kinds of racing classes.

However, I always feel this week right now is the best week of the year because it's Le Mans week. Which, to me, is the most exhilarating race there is. I wanted to write it's the hardest task for man and machine but then I'd be lying. Nevertheless, it certainly is in the top 5. Haha.

I write (mostly) f1 related articles myself, past, present and future.

I'm a huge Jacky Ickx fan. Same goes for Villeneuve (Sr) and currently Vettel. But most of all I just love f1. Watched the sport for years without having an active favorite driver.

As for Ickx, I've written a few articles about him, up until now covering some of his Le Mans adventures and all of his Dakar trips. I felt there were to little articles about him, and his versatile race craft, on the Internet.
I don't know if it's permitted here, on the forum, otherwise I'd be happy to share them.

Oh and,
I hate Abba with a fierce passion!

My favorite f1 cars are the Tyrrell p34, the Ferrari 312t4(which I have tattooed on my arm) and the Maserati 250f.

I have worked a while for a Belgian race team called Selleslagh racing team, which sadly no longer exists. They were the first(and a long time the only) customer team to drive with the corvette c5r. And later on the c6r. I was never the biggest fan of American cars, but those two vettes (and the current c7r) literally rumbled their way in to my heart.

Anyway, to wrap things up, I will be reading and discussing a lot more in the coming time.
Cheers

#2862 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:10

Hi bruznic, your country contains one of the most fabulous circuits we've ever seen...

I had the pleasure of driving around the now-unused sections of Spa last year, fabulous stuff. I only wish I could have been there for some of those GPs of the fifties, sixties and seventies.

I thoroughly enjoyed the little museum at Malmedy too, while some of the scenery in the Ardennes was the best I saw in Europe.

Welcome to the forum.

#2863 bruznic

bruznic

• 53 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:43

I remember back when the current circuit was (partly) open roads too. Unfortunately back then I didn't have a driver license.
And I agree. Would've loved to be there for those races. Unfortunately, however beautiful the track is, I feel they're butchering it one bit at a time. Run off areas are for girls 😂

#2864 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:55

Glad to see you've found a rather more enlightened forum to join as I used to enjoy reading your thoughts and pieces.

I say used to as I gave up on that misguided clown and his rabble a long way back.....

#2865 bruznic

bruznic

• 53 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:08

Oh is that so? Well, you can always go to my WordPress site (https://bruznic.wordpress.com/) or my drivetribe page. (https://drivetribe.com/t/bruznics-f1-cjJ8JjQaQZy1iSlxDigrtw?iid=CKWNWF2qTCSMm08qW_JaTg)

It's sad but true. His site imploded a long time ago. That's why I was so happy to find this forum. I've been lurking here and the level of conversation between members here is top notch. Like it used to be over at the judge.

#2866 Alejandro900

Alejandro900

• 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:52

Good morning .. I present myself from Buenos Aires.
For many years I have read the forum until today realised I could add interesting information from this part of the planet.
I hope to be able integrate me although my  knowledge of English language is quite limited. From I already ask for excuses and hope the online translator will help me.
Many Thanks

#2867 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:38

Welcome here, Alejandro...

Please tell us things about racing in your part of the world we don't know!

#2868 Alejandro900

Alejandro900

• 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 16:40

Ray: thank you..and tell me what you want to know and I`ll try find the answeu for your curiosity if possible to me

#2869 Heviurpo

Heviurpo

• 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 14:40

I'm new member.

#2870 KevinG

KevinG

• 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:37

Hi. I have registered again here after not posting for a long time. I have always been a lurker though!

My name is Kevin, from Scotland. I enjoy most forms of racing and live near Knockhill with my partner and two children (my son is named after Dan Gurney). I have a music education business which takes me all over the country. Currently I am working on a local history book. My first book has just been printed and is a biography of local driver Jim Crawford.

#2871 john winfield

john winfield

• 2,634 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 20:01

Hi. I have registered again here after not posting for a long time. I have always been a lurker though!

My name is Kevin, from Scotland. I enjoy most forms of racing and live near Knockhill with my partner and two children (my son is named after Dan Gurney). I have a music education business which takes me all over the country. Currently I am working on a local history book. My first book has just been printed and is a biography of local driver Jim Crawford.

Hello Kevin, a belated (re)welcome to TNF.  The Jim Crawford book sounds interesting. I have happy memories of watching him drive, usually pretty quickly, in Formula Atlantic. So is your son named Daniel? Sexton? Eagle? Or perhaps he has the initials AAR..... 

#2872 KevinG

KevinG

• 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:43

Hi John, thanks. My son is called Daniel (Dan) Guthrie, so not too far away!

It was a pleasure researching Jim because he was such a well liked guy. Absolutely no-one had a bad word to say. Such a shame he isn't around anymore.

#2873 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 23:34

William Edgar here. I'm new to this Forum, thanks to the heeded guidance of fellow Forum member and colleague Doug Nye. Doug and I met in 2010 during the Revs Institute’s Miles Collier Symposium at Naples, Florida. As an invited guest, I was there to narrate my PowerPoint showing of Edgar Motorsport Archive photographs from American sports car racing in the 1950s.

When I later wrote an article about the Symposium experience for Vintage Motorsport magazine, I observed, “Nye, with the Collier Museum’s GP cars, was in his very best form, so familiar he is with esoteric tales attached to each. For the 1902 Type Z Mors, a 9.2-liter French brute of a machine, he told how these ancient GP cars would build up a bounding motion on the rutted race roads, and heaved his body to illustrate. ‘And then,’ he chuckled, adding a sway, ‘they would start wandering side to side!’”

Also in the Symposium’s attendance were fellow faculty members such as Michael Argetsinger, Simon Kidston, Paul Russell, Fred Simeone and Janos Wimpffen. It was all a grand exploration and bonding of minds and purpose, plus superb recitals of car stories and factual procedure—in essence what I sense this Autosport Forum means to its membership, how it serves them, and they it.

I’m glad to be here, and look forward to reading the Forum’s posts and sometimes posting from my own brain and decades-long motorsport doings what may be of interest to others. Thanks, Doug, and best regards to all. - WilliamEdgar

#2874 DCapps

DCapps

• 395 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:02

I should mention that Will Edgar is a fellow member of the Council of Historians of the International Motor Racing Research Center located in Watkins Glen.

#2875 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:15

Thanks, Donald, for your note about my place with the IMRRC. And for an opportunity to post my first reply to my first post here. And asking a favor ... can you tell me in simple terms how to post a JPEG image attachment to one of these posts? I'm stumped after trying. - Thanks, Will

Edited by WilliamEdgar, 18 November 2017 - 00:16.

#2876 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 20,568 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:45

Welcome, Will. To post photos here they need to be on a website, either your own if you have one or one of the image-hosting sites such as Postimage. Instructions on uploading photos to Postimage and then posting them here may be found in the How to post your pictures thread. Good luck!

#2877 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:01

Thanks, Cap'in Tim and your jolly Parrot, too, for the heads-up on how to post photos here. Never thought they had to come from a website or such. So I can just paste to my own website - www.edgarmotorsport.com - and take it from there. I'll give it a go tomorrow. With much appreciation. - Will

Edited by WilliamEdgar, 18 November 2017 - 07:02.

#2878 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:34

Hello, Kevin from Scotland. William here from California. Made of non-combative genes from Scotland, England and Germany. Excellent that you have written a biography of Jim Crawford, and all best wishes for that and its publication. I have known another Scot, John Young Stewart, for many years and have made documentary films with Jackie and written articles about him, notably "Sir Jackie Stewart - Speaking Out of the Box" for Sports Car Digest ( http://www.sportscar...out-of-the-box/ ). Such a fine lad he is. His book "Faster" is a favorite. In a personality leap, I am presently writing a book on Carroll Shelby, based on my many interviews with him over the years. We should talk when there's time. I can be reached through my website www.edgarmotorsport.com . Dan, too, is a decades-long friend. Cheers and all best, William

#2879 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,365 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:55

[Also in the Symposium’s attendance were fellow faculty members such as Michael Argetsinger, Simon Kidston, Paul Russell, Fred Simeone and Janos Wimpffen. It was all a grand exploration and bonding of minds and purpose, plus superb recitals of car stories and factual procedure—in essence what I sense this Autosport Forum means to its membership, how it serves them, and they it.

Michael was a dear friend and I remember him heading to Naples for the Symposium which he thoroughly enjoyed. Always nice to see his name and the remembrances it brings. Welcome.

Advertisement

#2880 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:30

Michael was a dear friend and I remember him heading to Naples for the Symposium which he thoroughly enjoyed. Always nice to see his name and the remembrances it brings. Welcome.

Michael Argetsinger was tops.A brilliant writer and a colleague, he was also a great friend who gave added value to life. Losing him, his brother Sam and their Mother Jean was a compounded sadness for so many. One of my finest days in motorsport was when MIchael drove me around the old course at Watkins Glen and told stories of his father Cameron and past racing history there along the way. Never to be forgotten. Always missed.

#2881 KevinG

KevinG

• 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:24

Hello, Kevin from Scotland. William here from California. Made of non-combative genes from Scotland, England and Germany. Excellent that you have written a biography of Jim Crawford, and all best wishes for that and its publication. I have known another Scot, John Young Stewart, for many years and have made documentary films with Jackie and written articles about him, notably "Sir Jackie Stewart - Speaking Out of the Box" for Sports Car Digest ( http://www.sportscar...out-of-the-box/ ). Such a fine lad he is. His book "Faster" is a favorite. In a personality leap, I am presently writing a book on Carroll Shelby, based on my many interviews with him over the years. We should talk when there's time. I can be reached through my website www.edgarmotorsport.com . Dan, too, is a decades-long friend. Cheers and all best, William

Hi William and thanks for your kind message. I will contact you later today.

#2882 WilliamEdgar

WilliamEdgar

• 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:55

Hi William and thanks for your kind message. I will contact you later today.

Hi Kevin. Thanks for your note. If you did contact me, my "newness" to this forum doesn't allow me to find it. I need to learn more about posting and receiving messages. At any rate, thanks for the follow and I hope your Jim Crawford book is going well for you. - William 

#2883 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:41

Originally posted by WilliamEdgar
Michael Argetsinger was tops.A brilliant writer and a colleague, he was also a great friend who gave added value to life. Losing him, his brother Sam and their Mother Jean was a compounded sadness for so many. One of my finest days in motorsport was when Michael drove me around the old course at Watkins Glen and told stories of his father Cameron and past racing history there along the way. Never to be forgotten. Always missed.

Yes, I know that feeling too...

And I was glad to meet both Sam and Jean before their demise. Sam took me out and showed me around the farm, Jean was a very welcoming hostess.

And if you go to the top of this page and click on where your name is you get the drop-down box with the private message link in it... like this:

1117messenger.jpg

Alternatively, you can click on the avatar of the person you want to message and do it through their profile page.

Oh yeah... welcome to the forum.

Edited by Ray Bell, 03 December 2017 - 12:44.

#2884 DutchAutosportFan

DutchAutosportFan

• 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 23:14

A few years ago i registered myself here under this name, forgot it and recently found my account back... time to do a little introduction.

I'm Jasper 27 years old living in a village near Eindhoven. I probably own one of the biggest autosport collections in Holland, i think i have for now 34 season(1970s and so on ) all stored on the attic since it became my office and my archive. Which i all use for the research i do regarding Formula One teams, cars etc that never made it, it became really my purest passion (Not sure if i can my site here). I use the Autosport Mags and the Forum most of the time as my main source to start an article, the amount of information is incredible. Besides living my passion i also work in daily life, love to take randomly a plane to a random place, and i like to party every now and then. And i'm a true Minardi Fan since the first race i saw probably around 1994.

Oh just to give an idea of the attic :)

https://s5.postimg.o...BNXo_AA_Dd2.jpg
https://s5.postimg.o...267398661_o.jpg

Edited by DutchAutosportFan, 17 December 2017 - 20:16.

#2885 R Peck

R Peck

• 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:46

Hello, my name is Richard.

I'm 53 years old and live in Hertfordshire.

I have been following motor racing since about the age of 8. I don't quite know how it started but it may have been because of the fact that when I was on holiday in the south of France in the summer of 1972, we stayed in a hotel in Bandol, the Ile Rousse, where Jackie Stewart and his family were staying and I played with his sons on the beach and my mother chatted to Helen Stewart. Other motor racing people may have been there at the time, but I just don't know.

Years later, I found out that when I was a baby, my uncle and aunt had lived next door to Colin Chapman in Hadley Wood. One of my cousins was continually being told off by Chunky for throwing things at Clive Chapman's pram and they recalled helping Jim Clark getting his car off the drive in the snow!

The first race meeting I ever went to was the 1975 International Trophy, one of the last races that Graham Hill drove in. The race was dominated by James Hunt in the Hesketh until his engine failed. One of the support races also saw a fantastic performance by Tony Brise, who was promptly signed by Graham Hill and surely would have been a world champion at some point but for tragic events of 29 November.

I was a James Hunt fan and went to his world championship victory meeting at Brands Hatch in 1976 and actually got to ask him a question over the public address system. However, I did not get to meet him until about 1990.

Due to a family friend, I went to the launch of the Arrows team in 1978 and from the pictures I took, I found that I was sitting at the dinner table with Jenks and Alan Henry!

I had privilige of seeing Senna at Spa in 1989 in the wet from a vantage point near Eau Rouge.

In 2000, I went to Monaco and met Jenson and have been a fan of him ever since.

When I went to the 2006 Britsh Grand Prix, although that race was a yawn, the GP2 support race saw an incredible performance by Lewis Hamilton, where he overtook 2 cars in one go on the way to victory.

My heroes are :-

Formula 1

Stirling Moss
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
John Surtees
Chris Amon
Jackie Stewart
Francois Cevert
James Hunt
Niki Lauda
Gilles Villeneuve
John Watson
Jean Alesi
Damon Hill
Jenson Button
Lewis Hamilton
Daniel Ricciardo
Max Verstappen
Ken Tyrrell
Frank Williams

In other areas (sports car racing, journalism,broadcasting, photography' and personality)

Stirling Moss ( the greatest)
Derek Bell
Vic Elford
Howden Ganley
Brian Redman
Martin Brundle
Jenks
Nigel Roebuck
Doug Nye
Alan Henry
Maurice Hamilton
Eoin Young
Michael Argetsinger
Joel Finn
Murray Walker
Martin Brundle
Michael Turner
Dexter Brown
Peter Helck
Louis Klemantaski
Jesse Alexander
Dave Brodie
Lord March (for reviving Goodwood)

For giving me great entertainment at Goodwood

Bobby Verdon-Roe (Ferrari 330LMB)
Grant Williams (Jaguar Mark 2)
Julian Mazjub (Sadler)
John Surtees (Ford GT40)
Anyone else who makes their car slide!

I was never a Senna or Schumacher fan. They were not good sports.

Although I do not work in the automotive field, have no mechanical knowledge, I am very interested in motor sport history and have at least 500 books on the subject.

Since 2015 I have been attending the TNF Herts Film Show. I always feel a fraud there because of above facts.. However, I did win their quiz once!

I often go to Goodwood and this year, drove some of the Targo Florio course, while on holiday in Sicily.

I have been a sim racer for many years. It is a great privilige to be able to drive a circuit which no longer exists such as Montjuich Park or Solitude or to drive a classic car like a Maserati 250F or a Ferrari GTO. I owe all those modders who make these items a debt of gratitude. My current go to sim is Assetto Corsa but have enjoyed Grand Prix Legends, GTR2, GT Legends, Grand Prix 2, 3 and 4, Rfactor, Rfactor 2 and Project Cars in the past.

I have had 2 Alfa Romeos and I have been lucky enough to drive the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio both in real life and on Assetto Corsa!

Edited by R Peck, 26 December 2017 - 23:32.

#2886 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,678 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 15:22

Hello Richard and welcome from another Hertfordshire resident! We may have met at one of the film shows, but who can say?

#2887 R Peck

R Peck

• 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 23:22

Many thanks. I'll look out for you at next meeting.

#2888 LigierGitanes

LigierGitanes

• 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 14:22

Hello all, my name is Robert, and I am from Vienna, Austria.

I was born in 1973 and remember watching my first F1 GP on TV in 1978 at the age of four: the Swedish GP that Lauda won with the famous Brabham fan car.
In 1980 at the age of six I became a total F1 lunatic, triggered by the Panini Formula One album from that year (unfortunately, to my knowledge Panini did not make any more F1 albums in later years).
To me (that's of course personal taste) the cars from that time are the most beautiful F1 cars ever made, especially the Ligier JS11 shown in my avatar. BTW, I don't speak French and I don't smoke. :)

I still follow current Formula One and other racing formulae, but my main interest is on F1 from the 1970s and early 1980s. A few years ago I started collecting GP telecasts on DVD from the 1970s and 1980s and often prefer watching these races rather than current F1 GPs...

Being a professional software developer, I decided to create my own SQL results database by importing data from excel sheets that I had produced since 1994, giving me absolute freedom in querying the data. By now the results in my database go back to 1985 and I hope to reach the year 1950 one day. If anyone is interested, contact me and I can send you a backup file of my database (for Microsoft SQL Server).

Edited by LigierGitanes, 09 January 2018 - 19:26.

#2889 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,359 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 16:52

Austria was a good place to be if you wanted to go see an occasional Grand Prix in those years!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find questions here you can answer from your database.

#2890 F127

F127

• 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:17

Hi all,

I first discovered F1 in 1992 when my best friend and I chose our favourite young drivers to support, he chose Schumacher and I chose Alesi. I never regretted it and became engrossed with the sport through his rollercoaster Ferrari years; watching his amazing driving skills and trying to telepathically send him some luck, when inevitabley, his beautiful Ferrari broke down whenever he was leading. Sigh.

I also became an F1 history buff as early as 12 and I couldn't get enough of books and clips from the past. However, I can only dream of what attending a grand prix in the 60s or 70s must have been like, and I am eternally jealous of the many of you here that got the chance. I find reading all the messages here being one of the closest ways of getting that experience, but hopefully I will also be able to provide something back from finally signing up here.

Cheers!

Dan

Edited by F127, 06 November 2018 - 21:20.