Photo

Achille Varzi and Tripoli 1936

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:50

My understanding of the story of this race is very much based on what Chris Nixon wrote in Racing the Silver Arrows:

Next came Tripoli and his [Varzi’s] third victory in the event although, as in 1933, it was a contrived win . . . the race was largely a battle between the two Auto Union drivers, with Stuck gaining the upper hand towards the end. But then the new Team manager, Dr Karl Feuereissen, began giving him ‘slow down’ signals, at the same time telling Varzi to speed up. The result was that Varzi put in a last lap at a staggering 227 km/h (141 mph) and passed a very surprised Stuck almost on the finish line. Stuck was not only surprised, he was very angry and complained bitterly to Feuereissen, who then admitted his part in the proceedings. He was, he said, acting on orders from very high up – the Fascist governments of Germany and Italy were now very close and it had been decided that, where possible, Italian drivers should win Italian races. Libya was part of the Italian Empire, and so . . . Stuck was stunned and, when he heard how he had won the race, Varzi was furious.

His fury increased that night at the victory dinner given by the Governor of Libya and founder of the race, Marshal Italo Balbo, who proposed a toast to the winner, ‘the real winner’, and raised his glass to Hans Stuck! Varzi stormed from the room. Later, back at his hotel, he brooded about the day’s events long into the night and it was at this point, apparently, that Ilse offered him morphia for the first time.

Nixon goes on to describe Varzi’s decline, and Auto Union’s reaction to it. The whole account sounds worryingly similar to that given by Alfred Neubauer in his memoirs, and, as we know, Neubauer was not one to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I am aware of two things which challenge the above account. Firstly, the Sheldon ‘Black Book’ says that Varzi passed Stuck on lap 36 out of 40 (so not ‘almost on the finish line’) and finished the race 4.4 sec ahead. Of course it could still be that Varzi took Stuck by surprise, but Stuck then speeded up to match Varzi’s pace over the last four laps. Sheldon, however, expresses doubt that, in an efficiently-run team like AU, Stuck would have been unaware of any team orders.

Secondly, Aldo Zana, in this earlier thread, states that Ilse Pietsch did not attend the Tripoli race. If this is so, then the account of how Varzi first took morphia must be wrong.

So, is there any independent information available to answer these questions:

Did Auto Union apply team orders?

If so, were Varzi and Stuck unaware of them (before they were applied)?

Did Italo Balbo really toast Stuck as the ‘real’ race winner?

Was it really as a result of these events that Varzi turned to morphia?

(Apologies if this has ben covered previously, but I could find nothing doing a BB search.)

Advertisement

#2 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:44

Tim, how is your German?

In his new book "Hitlers Rennschlachten - Die Silberpfeile unterm Hakenkreuz" Eberhard Reuß deals with the Gran Premio di Tripoli on pages 238 - 244.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 16:38

Originally posted by ReWind
Tim, how is your German?

Fairly poor, I'm afraid, Reinhard. :blush: I've struggled through a couple of the other books in German on Auto Union, but it does take me a very long time.

This does sound to be an interesting book, though. Would you recommend it? Would there be any chance of a quick summary of what he has to say about Tripoli? :) :)

(Edit: I've just seen (in the 1939 European Championship thread) that this book is commended by Henk Visscher, Holger Merten and Hans Etzrodt, so I think I shall have to have it.)

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 13:50

I'm bumping this just in case anyone missed it first time round. It would be really nice to have some further comments or information. :)

#5 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 20:31

Sorry, Tim, for letting you wait so long.

In his book Reuß doesn’t make a clear statement. He points out that in his memoirs Stuck did not tell anything about what actually went on in the race. But like Neubauer Stuck mentioned Balbo’s toast during the prize giving.

On the other hand Neubauer’s version has its usual flaws. This time it is the mentioning of Ribbentrop in the alleged dialogue between Stuck and Feuereißen. In May 1936 Joachim von Ribbentrop was not Secretary of Foreign Affairs but Special Ambassador in London. So it cannot have been Ribbentrop who influenced the outcoming of the race.

But Reichsleiter Bouhler (who had the higher rank anyway) was there in Tripoli substituting for Korpsführer Hühnlein who was unavailable due to other commitments. NSKK-Sturmführer Leo von Bayer-Ehrenberg had ordered Feuereißen to arrange for Bouhler’s accommodation on May, 2nd. Reuß connects this with the assembling of the gran consiglio del fascismo on May, 9th.

Reuß cites a telegram by Feuereißen (taken from Kirchberg’s AU book) to the AU management from May 12th, 1936 (two days after the race) : „Suggest especially nice telegram to Stuck because Stuck led by big margin until lap 38 and drove carefully according to instructions.“

A new document seems to be the official report from the AU archive typed on May 11th, 1936 which Reuß cites as follows: „Varzi drove the major part of the race in 4th gear because right from the beginning 2nd and 3rd gear failed and he also did not engage 5th gear to avoid gear changing. After the pit stops he always drove in 4th gear. During the race there were no troubles on Stuck’s car. Governor Balbo who was present in company of Reichsleiter Bouhler for the whole race cordially gratulated our drivers. It was a splendid success with the audience.“ According to Reuß this report furthermore reveals that the two pitstops of Stuck (for refuelling and tyre change) were quicker than Varzi’s.

So Stuck had a car with no technical problems at all. Varzi however on a high speed track did not have he highest gear at his disposal. Yet the Italian won.

Reuß writes „Unglaublich, oder?“ which means „uncredible, huh?“

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 22:03

Many, many thanks Reinhard - this is fascinating stuff! So there definitely were team orders. Now if Varzi only had fourth gear available, and yet managed to pass Stuck four laps from the finish - and keep ahead of him to the end - it seems inconceivable to me that the drivers could have been unaware of these team orders.

In which case, I can't see why these events should have driven Varzi to morphine. If it was at around this time that he first started using it, I should have thought it far more likely to have been as a result of his terrifying accident at Tunis the following weekend.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:46

Originally posted by Tim Murray

In which case, I can't see why these events should have driven Varzi to morphine.

The fact that it was revealed?

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:55

Well, possibly. It still leaves the question of how Ilse could have induced him to start taking morphine if she herself was not in Tripoli.

#9 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 15:24

Simple question:
Where to find the Mellaha circuit on GOOGLE EARTH?

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 21:07

You won't find it, Paul. All traces have been obliterated by subsequent airport development.

The original Italian aerodrome became the USAF Wheelus Air Base in 1945. The Yanks left in 1970 and it became a joint Libyan/Soviet facility called Akba Ben Nafi Air Base during the Cold War. Since 1995 it has been a civilian facility called Mittiga International Airport.

#11 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 16:23

Thank you,
I found Tripoli International Airport, just south of Tripoli
Was that the place?
And I did not find the Mellaha Saltlake... at all.
What ever happened to that???
Paul

#12 Henk

Henk

• 227 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 20:53

The Mittiga Airport is located East of Tripoli.

The satellite images indicate that at least the eastern part of the Mellaha circuit has not been affected by the expanding airfield.

You may find the northeastern corner of the old track near the first roundabout that interrupts the coastal motorway.

Part of the salt lake still exists. You can see the square pans used to evaporate brine for the production of salt.