#351 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 18:31

Originally posted by Nordic1
Holy smoke dolomite, that is spooky :eek:

Have you got any more?

btw, Was it you who jogged me?, that must be why mine is all blured :kiss:

Probably. Having looked at some of your other pictures, we seem to have been inadvertantly stalking each other all over the place. I think must have also been standing next to you at Brands in 1980, for instance :cool: :stoned:

Here's some more of mine from Silverstone '79

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#352 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:07

I think we must be in serious danger of overloading the Imageshack server with all this stuff....

Here's a few resurrected pictures that I've posted on other threads in the past:

Silverstone '81

Posted Image

Posted Image

Silverstone '83

Posted Image

Silverstone '85

Posted Image

Silverstone '90

Posted Image

#353 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 20:01

Some more from Silverstone '81

Posted Image
Alan Jones' car in the scrutineering bay (note 6cm ground clearance)

Posted Image
John Watson is excited to be interviewed by Anthony Marsh

Posted Image
Mclaren mechanics testing the naughty hydropneumatic suspension system on Wattie's car

Posted Image
As Renault seem to be having some brake trouble

Posted Image
Rene Arnoux is much shorter than me

Posted Image
Alain Prost is shorter than nearly everybody

Posted Image
Frank gets a lecture

Posted Image
Keke Rosberg and friend

#354 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 20:02

Pit stop practice at Silverstone 83

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#355 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 19:34

Team Lotus state of the art timing gear setup on the pit wall at Brands '80

Posted Image

#356 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 18:04

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
Bump...
No supply of photos is close to exshausted... but there must some others out there that can keep this thread running? New contributors?

Go on, make the effort and ceer up a cold winter :up:

I've been overly tied up with work, travelling and domestic stuff recently, but I'm hoping to have time to scan and post some more of mine shortly. :wave:

#357 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,049 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 23:55

Great stuff Pedro! :up:

#358 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 22:55

I've been meaning to do that for a very long time. I've been to two historics meetings in Virginia, and I'm pleased with some of the pics I've taken. I also have a ton of CART images from the nineties and ALMS pics from Mid-Ohio this year that I want to scan and post. I just have to find the time.

#359 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 23:39

Well spotted Ruairidh.. the Niki pic was the 1972 GP at Brands :up: (I didn't see Twinny :down: )

Thanks Twinny for resurrecting this long forgotten thread.. maybe a memory jogger for Jaxs, Udo K., Frank de Jong and Rob G?

As I said 3 years ago..Come on guys, where are all your hidden gems??

Yes, a memory jogger indeed! I have some pics on CD and will need to re-upload them to imageshack (thanks to a fried hard drive and loss of the page on which I had all the URLs).

Advertisement

#360 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 15:15

I thought I had more here at home, but it looks as though many are just on my computer at work. But here's one to start off with. This is a detail shot from VIR last year of a Surtees F5000 car circa 1969:
Posted Image

#361 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 16:12

Some not-so-old CART pics:

Posted Image
Dan Gurney at a late-'90s Cleveland CART race

And a few pics from the 2002 Mid-Ohio CART race:
Posted Image
Paul Tracy's Team Kool Green Lola taken from the balcony of the garage

Posted Image
Christian Fittipaldi's car subtly modified after the announcement that he would be a NASCAR driver in 2003

Posted Image
Jimmy Vasser's Lola from a different vantage point

#362 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:31

I guess since Adrian Fernandez is no longer a champ car driver I guess this counts as nostalgia:
Posted Image
That's him in the paddock at the 2003 St. Petersburg CART race.

From the same race, here's a case of art imitating life, I suppose:
Posted Image

Thanks to www.imageshack.us for hosting these and the ones in my previous post.

#363 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:01

Posted Image
Here's the front suspension from an Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 taken at VIR a couple years ago

Posted Image
Jeff Krosnoff at the Cleveland CART race, just a couple weeks before his tragic death at Toronto

Thanks again to www.imageshack.us.

#364 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 00:13

Hi there

Great pictures. I must say. :clap:

Pedro. Did you take any pictures at the Shadow or Copersucar pit garage back then in 1977?

If so I would like to se them very much.

Best regards

#365 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 15:37

Hi Guys.

I just talked to Alan Rees and he said that Shadow never tested the DN8 at Snetterton. But it could been Goodwood. I will mail him the picture because he has only seen it on the fax I send him. And faxed images is normaly no the best quality. But it is not Snetterton. I will be back with his reply.

Best regards

#366 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 13:50

A bluddy great hole being bored in the Professorial crash hat just moments before the start at Adelaide 1986. No idea why!!
Btw, sorry the picture has not been rotated level; it would have involved decapitating Barry Sheene!
Posted Image

And The Golden Boy being a racing fan during practice just upstream from the chicane at Adelaide 1986, demonstrating once more why he's such a hero.
Posted Image

#367 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 14:03

Originally posted by Twin Window
To accomodate a tube from his drinks bottle, I think you'll find.

No doubt, but the Woking Propaganda Department always had us believe that everything was minutely planned months ... years ahead ...

Whatever - there was a certain Keystone Kop quality about the moment and its franticness that made me chuckle.

#368 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 21:26

Rob, the Watson photo looks like Zolder to me (Might be wrong though...)

#369 RV_Canada

RV_Canada

• 3,490 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 20:36

I've got a great shot of Hunt dicing w/ Mario Andretti at Mosport '76 or '77. My dad took the picture and had it blown up for me.
OT - (I also got Jaques Laffite's autograph at the same race, and a piece of fibreglass from Gunnar Nilssen's car!)

#370 Ben

Ben

• 3,181 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 20:50

My my, haven't the standards in F1 pit garages changed since then :-)

Excellent shots guys

Ben

#371 bkalb

bkalb

• 139 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:49

Can anyone explain why some people can see posted photos and others can't? And what to do about it?

I've looked at this thread on two different machines today, and in both Barry Boor's and Twinny's posts, all I get are those annoying little boxes with Xs in the middle. I can see all the other shots posted so far.

Barry Kalb

#372 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 19:19

Some pictures I took in the paddock of the Dutch GP 1982. One of the last years a mere mortal was allowed in for just (a lot of) money. I have 21 pictures, and here are the first 7. The next show more detail, the last 7 show more general views of cars. If you want to see more, just ask, and I will post

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New! Improved! Now in Reduced quality! Downloads faster!

#373 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 22:55

Previous post now with smaller pictures. I hope that more people can now enjoy them. And I must admit that I don't really see much degradation in quality (maybe unless you view them side by side).

More coming up soon.

Regards,

Henk Vasmel

#374 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 23:00

2nd series, more car detail this time. Still the paddock of the 1982 Dutch Grand Prix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#375 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 23:04

Third and final series, still at the 1982 Dutch Grand Prix, in Zandvoort. Now some more general views

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#376 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:56

No need to be corrected. It Is Rob Walker. Does anybody recognise anymore faces?

Regards,

Henk Vasmel

#377 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 467 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 18:11

Yes Rob, I have indeed reduced the size of my pictures, to an average of about 100 kb each.

I agree with you that the number of pixels is not important for the speed, only the size of the picture in bytes, because that is what has to be transmitted over a sometimes slow connection.
translating the .jpg to a picture of however many pixels is done locally in your computer and therefore almost instant. Compression will indeed mean that detail will be lost, so a picture will get more vague, but not smaller in number of pixels. Reducing the number of pixels will make the picture sharper, but details smaller, and since they are not analogue, but digital, you cannot increase the sharpness by increasing the size then.

Anyway, I apologise to all people on dial-up connections for the temporary existence of too large picture files in this thread. It has been reduced by a factor of 4, but now there are 3 times as many pictures, so you win some, lose some. I should know how bad some threads can be on dial-up, because I had such a connection until last November. Remarkable how quickly you get used to better performance. I also agree that broadband is still relatively expensive, so it is just no option for people on a tighter budget, and we have to take care of them as well.
On the other hand, this thread is known as a "photo" thread, so if you have trouble with large sized posts, you are warned in advance that this one will probably be very slow, so take a look only when phonecalls are cheap, and you have enough time to spare to be patient.

Kind Regards,

Henk Vasmel

#378 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 00:31

Originally posted by P 4 Staff
Here is Niki Lauda waiting to take a testdrive in the Matra...dont think many people know this...but I happened to be there...and beleieve me...when they started up that engine...WOW...never heard anything like that since.

Posted Image

Staff.

P 4,
Please let me know what year that was.
I remember the Matra from '77s at Mosport.
As lovely as they were, flat 12 Ferraris sounded like diesels compared to the Ligier...

#379 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 00:47

Twinny,
As you are now in charge of the TNFers, I have a request...
Please ask the powers that be to make this an open channel, just like "racing comments, etc...", where all of us fans can post pics from the races we have been fortunate to attend.
Personally, I think this would be a really good way for all of us arm chair race car drivers to share what we have seen and, on occasion, comment on stuff.
By the way, this is the best thread I have ever seen on Atlas.
For all of you who have posted pics, I would really like to thank you. :kiss:

Richard

Advertisement

#380 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 00:16

People,
Please give us more! :up: :up: :up:
To the powers that be, please make this a permanent bookmark for Atlas F1.

#381 Farzad

Farzad

• 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:21

Here are a few pictures I took in the mid 80's in Montreal.

Senna being interviewed by Heinz Prüller. Coincidentally I'm dying to find a way to send this picture to Heinz Prüller and better yet get a copy autographed for myself. Anyone have any idea how I can do this?
Posted Image

A couple of mechanics working on the race winning car. No idea who they are.
Posted Image

My favourite picture. I can recognize Peter Warr in the background but I have no idea who the others are. I wonder if the person on the far right with their back to us is Mario Andretti?
Posted Image

Keke!
Posted Image

#382 Farzad

Farzad

• 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:41

[B]Good to see 3 new contributors to the Paddock Club, and two with photos from outside of the UK. A warm welcome and thank you to uffen, Playlife & Farzad.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I can't believe I've missed this thread over the years. I have a few more pictures from 85 and 86 in Montreal which I'll post in this thread.

#383 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 11:24

Thanks Barry for the photo of John in his TS7 at its first race.
I was a Surtees fan all my "motor racing life" and I well remember how sorry I was when the German GP 1970 was moved to Hockenheim, depriving me of the opportunity of seeing the TS7 at the Ring! Instead I had to be content with what we called "Kleiner Preis von Deutschland", a F2 race which was hastily organized by the AvD instead...

I could add many many photos here, but how does it work? Can anybody help me? I think I did not check the rules properly...

Thanks
Udo

#384 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 22:07

Nürburgring 1969:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#385 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:52

I did not give the drivers names, because I thought, it's so easy...

Courage / Attwood / Ickx, of course, is correct for the b/w shot.

The gentleman next to Pescarolo is Francois Cevert.

I took the picture on the start and finish straight, just opposite the grandstand.

More to come, if you like...

#386 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:02

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pedro 917
[B]Here are two pictures from Walt Monaco's collection. Although I didn't take them, I thought they could be of some interest. They were taken at the Nürburgring (most probably a 1000 km event) in the mid-fifties I guess. Is there anybody who can tell me what year? Walt told my brother that in the second picture, Moss is trying to repair a small transistor radio. [/b[QUOTE]

If the shots are taken at a 1000K race, then it was either in 1958 or 1959. In both years, Moss drove for Aston Martin. Only thing that makes me uncertain, is that its obviously quite cold.. In both years the weather at the 1000K was fine, in 1959 even hot.
Another possibility:1960 (cold weather), and Moss visited the British camp, although he was driving for Maserati (Camoradi).

#387 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:49

Emerson's only (I think) appearance in the European Touring Car Championship:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#388 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:46

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell

If the shots are taken at a 1000K race, then it was either in 1958 or 1959. In both years, Moss drove for Aston Martin. Only thing that makes me uncertain, is that its obviously quite cold.. In both years the weather at the 1000K was fine, in 1959 even hot.
Another possibility:1960 (cold weather), and Moss visited the British camp, although he was driving for Maserati (Camoradi).
[/QUOTE]

So you don't think it's a BRM wheel? [/B][/QUOTE]

If it is one, the pictures are not taken at a 1000k race. Then it would be the Grand Prix.
Monaco was quite often at the 1000ks, even took part in some. That makes the 1000ks more likely.
Maybe Pedro 917 can help with more hints.

#389 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 17:30

Le lièvre et la Tortue

:wave:

#390 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:04

The last one is Spa

#391 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,002 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 21:54

Maybe even shots from other catagories? I would LOVE to see some personal photos from the 1976 & 77 Shellsport series or the 1978-79 AFX or F5000!

Great call! lets see 'em!! Id love to see the Maguire, Dywa etc

#392 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,002 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 22:25

Originally posted by RTH
Already this thread would make a great photo book - any publishers out there ? I have no doubt with a bit of encouragement a great many more yet could be found ?

Dont let Haymarket near it then for gawds sake!

#393 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:44

I wondered about Goodwood for the Shadow picture - but I can't think of anywhere there that has has that much unbroken outfield on the left hand side.

#394 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:54

Originally posted by Alan Cox
... the guy in the doubtful yellow shirt, next to him on the finish line, has had second thoughts about his fashion sense thirty years on!

Looks a bit like Robert Plant, but I can't think why it should be.

#395 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 16:31

I have no special reason for posting these, other than having just happened upon the prints whilst having a tidy-up.
I'm sure everyone knows what the car is... but the locations may be unfamiliar.

The pics were taken in September '98 (on a battered second-hand sixties half-frame camera - hence a little coarse); from memory, the first one (the 'upright' pic) is at Circuit Grand Sambuc and the second at Circuit du Var at Le Luc (latterly the AGS test track).
They were taken on a mainly (very) memorable trip, but I'll have to dig out the negatives and check their sequence to be absolutely sure which venue is which - ( I recall the paddock at Le Luc being a little more-obviously Mediterranean than this ).
We did six tracks in eight days (driving trackdays, not competing) and I forget who did which days and who didn't. Some of the 'big boys' (such as Mr Pugh's entourage) were heading on from here, to Monza I think, for HGP or TGP or whatever its proper title was back then.

There was other 'interesting' stuff on that trip - I must find the rest of the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#396 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 17:42

They work fine here, Barry -
two thumnails as links to pics at Imageshack.
What do you see?
Or do you have a problem with the content?!
:confused:

#397 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 18:07

Hmm... thanks. I'll investigate.
What systems and browsers are you on?

I've edited those, but now I see underscored urls rather than thumbnails.

Do they work for you?
They are each around 600 or 700 KB - a famous early 70s Grand prix car.

#398 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 19:16

Thanks Stuart -

I've deleted them from above; although not massive, they'd be too big for some folk and slow the thread down.
I've had trouble getting the thumbnails up in the past and settled for the hyperlinks.
The annoying thing is that here in "OSX-Safariland" it all works perfectly!

I'll do as you suggest... and hope to God someone thinks they were worth the effort!
:)

#399 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 20:26

Finally, my two troublesome Brabham pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#400 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,734 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:25

From memory Andrew, the car looked authentically as it did in '71 - so no, the onscreen colours seen here are not right.
(But then, they've been scanned from cheap enprints, converted to cmyk on a previous system and monitor, tweaked for separated out-put, resaved as jpegs, hue contrast and sharpness tweaked again, converted back to rgb...