Photo

Does anybody miss DSJ?

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#401 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,470 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 22:11

Thanks for mentioning it Fitz...so good to see you here.

DCN

Advertisement

#402 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,815 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:59

I strongly recommend A Passion for Motor Sport to anyone. The style of the 50 articles from the BRDC Bulletin will be familiar to anyone who knows his writings, especially the various Letters to the Editor, yet there is no repetition as far as I know. We also get the Motor Sport With Moss in the Mille Miglia articles from 1955 and 56 and Continental Notes from April 1955 which dealt with practice for the race. There is a forward from Stirling Moss and The Jenks I Knew articles from Doug Nye, Bill Boddy, Nigel Roebuck, Alan Henry, Eoin Young, Jesse Alexander and Maurice Hamilton.

Copies are advertised on Abebooks for what I consider a very reasonable price. An ideal Christmas present to yourself!

#403 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,650 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:07

A superb post, Roger, and much appreciated in a thread essentially raised and maintained as a tribute to the little man, but sadly often used as a vehicle to denigrate his name and his skills. We all know he was not perfect, apart from being our pal who recounted in depth and in detail his various visits and activities in what was the current period when we read him, but now seems to to be viewed the object of latter day wisdom. Different times, different mores, different strokes, different folks.

I always find reading Maurice Hamilton's letter to his Dad, the last article in the book, a beautiful thing to read, particularly I as I was an attendee at DSJ's funeral.

Unable to claim Usual Disclaimers.
Roger Lund

As an aside, people who wish to learn about the history of our sport, a minority these days sadly, would do a lot worse than to consult the Motor Sport archives from its heyday in some depth. It was a wonderful gesture by the then new Proprietor to the readership and posterity, a facility barely considered by others.

#404 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,470 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:38

SECONDED...

DCN

#405 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:23

1000 km Race Spa-Francorchamps 09.05.1971:

Ferrari 512M #32 / Scuderia Filipinetti

driven by: Corrado Manfredini (I)/Giancarlo Gagliardi (I), DNS: Mike Parkes (GB)

Grid: 6th (3:24:400), DNF (engine)

Wimppfen says: Mike Parkes practice/qualifying only.

Motor Sport June 1971 D.S.J. wrote: "the Filipinetti Ferrari 512M did a lap in 3 min. 24,4 sec.

and no-one noticed that the driver looked like Parkes, though whether it was Manfredini or Gagliardi

who went so fast no-one seemed to know!"

I spoke to Corrado Manfredini (86) last October in Milano and he told me HE did the qualifying time

and because Parkes was not registered as a driver (only reserve) he was not allowed to qualify the 512.

Who is right: the one & only D.S.J. or the Italian gentleman driver Manfredini?

Somebody in TNF able to shed light on this mystery? Feedback is much appreciated, Andreas 

#406 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,419 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:00

From Paddy McNally’s race report in Autosport:

Alongside the works Ferrari on the third row were Manfredini/Gagliardi in the fastest of the Ferrari 512s. In fact Michael Parks (sic) had set up the car and recorded 3 m 24.4 s, which gave them their position on the grid, but neither of the Italian drivers could hope to equal this time. The car stopped out on the circuit with an electrical trouble which was never pinpointed, but before the race they found time to fit special fast refuelling valves which Parkes flew over to collect in England.

So we have two contemporary race reports saying that Parkes qualified the car, against an old man’s possibly failing memory. I think I’d go with the contemporary reports.  ;)

#407 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,723 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:07

An old man with a vested eg... sorry, interest...

What else would he say?

#408 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,815 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:23

Mike Cotton in Motoring News also said that Parkes set the practice time.

#409 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 15:02

"The older we get, the faster we were"

Or is  " ~ because Parkes was not registered as a driver (only reserve) he was not allowed to qualify the 512."  an echo of Ed Hugus at Le Mans in 1965?

#410 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 65 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 21:53

It looks like there are 2 questions with this qualifying time: who actually drive the car for the time, and who was credited with it by the race organizers. Not necessarily one and the same person, psrticularly if the fast driver was not allowed to qualify the car. Not that anyone would try and get around an inconvenient rule.

#411 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:33

Dear friends of TNF, thank you for adding more detail Information to my request regarding Mike Parkes and the 1000 km race/Spa - Francorchamps in 1971.
For me the question was of major interest because if MP did the time it was his first appearance on the track after his Formula 1 career-ending crash in 1967.
Maybe to prove to himself that he still had what it takes to lap Spa in a competitive way? Spa Ferrari F1 (3litre) 1967: 3.36,6 & Ferrari 512 (5litre) 1971: 3.24,4