Photo

Does anybody miss DSJ?

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#401 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,721 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 22:11

Thanks for mentioning it Fitz...so good to see you here.

DCN

Advertisement

#402 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,928 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:59

I strongly recommend A Passion for Motor Sport to anyone. The style of the 50 articles from the BRDC Bulletin will be familiar to anyone who knows his writings, especially the various Letters to the Editor, yet there is no repetition as far as I know. We also get the Motor Sport With Moss in the Mille Miglia articles from 1955 and 56 and Continental Notes from April 1955 which dealt with practice for the race. There is a forward from Stirling Moss and The Jenks I Knew articles from Doug Nye, Bill Boddy, Nigel Roebuck, Alan Henry, Eoin Young, Jesse Alexander and Maurice Hamilton.

Copies are advertised on Abebooks for what I consider a very reasonable price. An ideal Christmas present to yourself!

#403 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,766 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:07

A superb post, Roger, and much appreciated in a thread essentially raised and maintained as a tribute to the little man, but sadly often used as a vehicle to denigrate his name and his skills. We all know he was not perfect, apart from being our pal who recounted in depth and in detail his various visits and activities in what was the current period when we read him, but now seems to to be viewed the object of latter day wisdom. Different times, different mores, different strokes, different folks.

I always find reading Maurice Hamilton's letter to his Dad, the last article in the book, a beautiful thing to read, particularly I as I was an attendee at DSJ's funeral.

Unable to claim Usual Disclaimers.
Roger Lund

As an aside, people who wish to learn about the history of our sport, a minority these days sadly, would do a lot worse than to consult the Motor Sport archives from its heyday in some depth. It was a wonderful gesture by the then new Proprietor to the readership and posterity, a facility barely considered by others.

#404 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,721 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:38

SECONDED...

DCN

#405 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:23

1000 km Race Spa-Francorchamps 09.05.1971:

Ferrari 512M #32 / Scuderia Filipinetti

driven by: Corrado Manfredini (I)/Giancarlo Gagliardi (I), DNS: Mike Parkes (GB)

Grid: 6th (3:24:400), DNF (engine)

Wimppfen says: Mike Parkes practice/qualifying only.

Motor Sport June 1971 D.S.J. wrote: "the Filipinetti Ferrari 512M did a lap in 3 min. 24,4 sec.

and no-one noticed that the driver looked like Parkes, though whether it was Manfredini or Gagliardi

who went so fast no-one seemed to know!"

I spoke to Corrado Manfredini (86) last October in Milano and he told me HE did the qualifying time

and because Parkes was not registered as a driver (only reserve) he was not allowed to qualify the 512.

Who is right: the one & only D.S.J. or the Italian gentleman driver Manfredini?

Somebody in TNF able to shed light on this mystery? Feedback is much appreciated, Andreas 

#406 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,340 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:00

From Paddy McNally’s race report in Autosport:

Alongside the works Ferrari on the third row were Manfredini/Gagliardi in the fastest of the Ferrari 512s. In fact Michael Parks (sic) had set up the car and recorded 3 m 24.4 s, which gave them their position on the grid, but neither of the Italian drivers could hope to equal this time. The car stopped out on the circuit with an electrical trouble which was never pinpointed, but before the race they found time to fit special fast refuelling valves which Parkes flew over to collect in England.

So we have two contemporary race reports saying that Parkes qualified the car, against an old man’s possibly failing memory. I think I’d go with the contemporary reports.  ;)

#407 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,159 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:07

An old man with a vested eg... sorry, interest...

What else would he say?

#408 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,928 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:23

Mike Cotton in Motoring News also said that Parkes set the practice time.

#409 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 15:02

"The older we get, the faster we were"

Or is " ~ because Parkes was not registered as a driver (only reserve) he was not allowed to qualify the 512." an echo of Ed Hugus at Le Mans in 1965?

#410 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 125 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 21:53

It looks like there are 2 questions with this qualifying time: who actually drive the car for the time, and who was credited with it by the race organizers. Not necessarily one and the same person, psrticularly if the fast driver was not allowed to qualify the car. Not that anyone would try and get around an inconvenient rule.

#411 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 76 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:33

Dear friends of TNF, thank you for adding more detail Information to my request regarding Mike Parkes and the 1000 km race/Spa - Francorchamps in 1971.
For me the question was of major interest because if MP did the time it was his first appearance on the track after his Formula 1 career-ending crash in 1967.
Maybe to prove to himself that he still had what it takes to lap Spa in a competitive way? Spa Ferrari F1 (3litre) 1967: 3.36,6 & Ferrari 512 (5litre) 1971: 3.24,4

#412 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,766 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:01

Another year goes by marking the passing of DSJ. In a year's time we will be able to mark the centenary of the little fella's arrival on this earth.
Since last year I think the past two pages make very interesting reading, worth re reading in the sprit of Jenks and his various and varying views. Not a man to be forgotten, no matter how much some would seem to want to try.......

As I have said before, I am amused at the length of time which some contributors have read the works of Jenks and The Bod, seemingly content to do so, only to see them now taking every opportunity to denigrate them and their works. Whilst they were confident in their own skills and knowledge, they made no claims to be the best. They just did the job as they chose to do it, and enjoyed doing it, and some of us are of the view that we were and are all the better for it. They knew or perceived their marketplace demographic, and their circulation figures seemed to have vindicated that in period.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 29 November 2019 - 07:22.

#413 68targa

68targa

• 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:02

DSJ certainly won't be forgotten, they just don't make them like that any more. He had strong views but that is what is needed to stimulate the reader.  I periodically re-read several of his books (Porsche Past & Present is  an example) and still get enjoyment from them.

#414 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 17:04

No denigration from me.

I used to avidly read 'Jenks' writing when I was a schoolboy and even then, disagreed with some of his views. But I'm wading through my collection of bound 'Motor Sport' from the 60s/70s and I'm especially enjoying the Continental Notes/Letters. He loved cars, engineering, motor sport and fast driving and his writing can be wonderfully evocative. Somewhere he described favourite route to Spa ; I still use those roads today.

So I miss him. He was very much of his time - not sure how he'd have liked things as they are now. ......

#415 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 926 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 18:04

I treasure the letter that the great man wrote to me in August 1971 after I had sent my support for his views on Jackie Stewarts safety campaign which was very controversial at the time. He said how much he appreciated the support of chaps like me. Best of all was his comment that I reminded him of the young D.S.J. That'll do for me!.

#416 john aston

john aston

• 1,816 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 18:30

At the risk of upsetting Bradbury West (and that would never do ) I greatly enjoyed reading DSJ despite often disagreeing with him - especially on (sorry Eric ) his (anti) safety campaign. But enjoyment of prose is infinitely more nuanced than simply  agreeing with views expressed in it. I read The Spectator , for example , because it has some brilliant journalism  and the fact its politics certainly aren't mine doesn't matter at all - we shouldn't live in echo chambers .

But The Bod - I had  huge respect  for his longevity , enthusiasm and achievement but I read his writing more out of duty than anything . I found it terribly stuffy and dull .   Sorry :(

Edited by john aston, 04 January 2020 - 08:01.

#417 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,721 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 21:27

I thought some might enjoy these... 

Jenks by inclination would never do anything the easy way... I think - without checking - this was at Nivelles, Belgian GP...

GPL-DSJ-01.jpg

And here he is pictured by our mutual friend Pete Coltrin, in Modena - DSJ taking off Leonard Setright...

GPL-COL-TRIN-1964-DSJ-JENKS-ON-BIKE-MODE

DCN

#418 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:35

Yes - the Jenks-running-on-the-tyres pic was taken at Nivelles ; there's a pic taken from another angle on p.92 of Geoff Goddard's 'Track Pass'.

( Which I've just noticed was co-authored by Doug Nye... :blush: )

#419 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,158 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 19:33

Yes - the Jenks-running-on-the-tyres pic was taken at Nivelles ; there's a pic taken from another angle on p.92 of Geoff Goddard's 'Track Pass'.

( Which I've just noticed was co-authored by Doug Nye... :blush: )

Is that the same one as on p.210 of  'Jenks - A passion for motor sport' ?

Advertisement

#420 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 21:43

In his Reflections on the 1964 British Grand Prix, DSJ wrote of using a Moulton bicycle (borrowed from the editor!) to get around Brands Hatch. He had a collapsible version and said it folded into a surprisingly small space. He found it easy to ride on roads but less satisfactory on steep and bumpy descents out in the country. He had taken at least one “header” over the handlebars. 

#421 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 22:12

In his Reflections on the 1964 British Grand Prix, DSJ wrote of using a Moulton bicycle (borrowed from the editor!) to get around Brands Hatch. He had a collapsible version and said it folded into a surprisingly small space. He found it easy to ride on roads but less satisfactory on steep and bumpy descents out in the country. He had taken at least one “header” over the handlebars. 

Thank you. I have always thought the Moulton design, frankly, to be utter ****.

It is important to think about new technology, our perceptions of old tech, and identify new tech which is rubbish.

DSJ had a bad experience on his borrowed bike and almost everyone who rode a Moulton had a bad day.

#422 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,721 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 22:31

For many years Jenks ran a motor-cycle trial for his friends through the woods which screened his little lodge house from the main Odiham-Farnham road. I remember him trying out a route on 'The Bod's Moulton bike, as one might...  

All went well, his little legs a blur, until he reached a switchback hump over  the exposed roots of a chubby tree. Clang! Expletive (or three)!  Straight over the handlebars. Perfect somersault.  The Moulton just tripped over. I suspect with bigger wheels he would have made it.  

His annual Boxing Day Trial became quite a fixture.  He would run it in the morning for 'The Crondall Cup' - since Crondall was his nearest village, a mile away across the fields.  Then after lunch-break he'd run a second leg, for 'The Crondall Saucer'.

McLaren designer Gordon Coppuck was a truly ace trials rider - and he won several of those DSJ Christmas events.  One time as I recall he so dominated the Cup Trial that Jenks made him ride a monkey bike in the afternoon Saucer competition.  Gordon was so good he promptly won that as well...

DCN

#423 john aston

john aston

• 1,816 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:54

My only encounter with DSJ was when he was on his Moulton,,  half way down the Craner Curves at Donington. It was the (dry ) Saturday of the 93 European GP and free practice had started . Obviously I recognised him instantly . even if no one else seemed to. 'Sod it ' I thought , I have been reading this man for 25 years so the least I can do is thank him for entertaining me . He was happy to chat for a few minutes and in trademark curmudgeon style (and within yards of Senna doing 170 + mph through the downhill sweep) pronounced Donington as a Mickey Mouse track , unsuited for Grand Prix cars. It wasn't  Spa , but it wasn't Nivelles or Dallas either  so a tad unfair , if true to type .

It was at a GT race a few years later at Donington, Macleans this time , that I saw the unmistakable ( so very tall !) figure of Russell Bulgin and it is to my great regret that  I didn't at least thank him for his brilliant prose . 

#424 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,796 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:02

As I wrote here some years ago, my last encounter with Jenks was in the paddock at a VSCC Silverstone by which time he was on a tricycle so that he "could still sit down when he stopped to talk to people".

#425 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 17:47

Apologies, Charlieman, but I enjoyed the Moulton, especially in Stowaway form. Because the frame split into two separate pieces for stowage in a car boot (clamped together with a big Allen key), there was no scope for a cable to operate the rear brake, so instead it featured a pre-war style back-pedal brake - effective but quite difficult to modulate, so I got through an awful lot of rear tyres.The Mark 2 version took this a stage further, also incorporating a two-speed rear hub - flicking the pedal backwards changed to the other ratio, up or down, while full back pedal as before operated the rear brake. More complicated to explain than use! However, it was still a bit low-geared, so I found a pair of knobbly tyres that happened to be the right diameter and fitted those, which made it much better over muddy terrain though sounded rather like a junior version of my old Land Rover on tarmac.

Sorry, back to DSJ.

#426 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 13,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:43

I will always remember Jenks like this ...

Shelsley-Walsh-1990-August-BHC-M1-Denis-

1990 Shelsley Walsh - Jenks on his Tribsa sweeping into Bottom S