Photo

'That' colour question again! BRM green...?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy M

Sandy M

• 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 22:59

Hi,
Bear with me here- this is my first post! I'm preparing to build a collection of 1/43 scale BRMs from the 1960s.I've been searching for the Holy Grail of all racing car colors, BRM Green, for quite sometime. My search so far has produced one excellent find- this Bullentin Board. The enthusiastic and knowledgeable members of this group have sent in some absolutely wonderful vintage photos, storys, and information. I'm really glad I found this site!
Also, I found Mr Boor's post from Nov "05. I took the info he provided, Maserati "Rifle Grey" #224643, to my local automotive paint supplier (DuPont/PPG, etc.) here in the USA. The person behind the counter looked at me for a few moments and replied "Whats a Mays-R-rati". Really. I live in the great American 'South' so to ask about anything other than Fords, Chevys or John Deer Tractors to some and you're not going to be on the same page. He said no reference came up in the computer for the number. Well, I knew that visit was going nowhere! So I went home and cross referenced the "Mays-R-rati" color on my computer on some 'independent' car paint supplier's site and went back with another number. This time there was another person in the shop. My newly found number came up a standard BMW silver. Huh? Okay, looks like we've just stepped on the Train To Nowhere again. This other person did find Maserati (and pronunced it correctly!), but couldn't get Mr Boor's number to cross reference to a US available color, meaning DuPont or PPG brands.
Can anyone recommend a car color match available in the US? Or even direct me to someone in England from whom I could obtain (buy-borrow-or beg) a sample. The paint shop said if I brought in a sample on about a 3 or 4 square inch piece of plastic or metal they could scan it and duplicate it.
Best wishes to all, Sandy.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,551 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 23:53

Hi Sandy. Sorry to hear of your problems regarding 'that' colour.

If you send me your address on a Private Message I will happily spray up some sample swatches for you so that you can get them matched.

BTW, check out my favourite driver on my profile. :)

#3 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 00:14

Be cautious of accepting the 'scanned' result as correct--scanners sometimes see things we don't!

I was not satisfied with a paint sample I had done for my Honda motorcycle and a friend took the front apron in from his 1934 Lagonda and what they supplied to match was metalic!

#4 Sandy M

Sandy M

• 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:02

Thanks David, I'll bear that in mind.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,551 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:48

Sample is in progress, Sandy. I will be posting in the next day or so.

#6 Sandy M

Sandy M

• 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 20:52

Many Thanks, Barry. I have a 1/43 '65 BRM P261 almost ready to paint. After that I'll probably start a '67 P261. So once I get the color and a steady supply of paint I' be on a roll! The local automotive paint supplier can mix it in pint cans for about $12. In 1/43 scale, once thinned out for airbrushing, that will last a life time.
Barry, Great collection of models also. Maybe more people (I will when I finish the BRM) can sent in photos of their models.
All the best, Sandy