Photo

Lotus; the beginnings & the Hornsey museum

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#401 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:11

Prompted by this thread, I took advantage of yesterdays' sunshine & hopped on a train to Hornsey.

I'm happy to say that the former Lotus showroom/office is still intact and in good condition. The five-windowpane frontage is again visible - complete with a large Lotus Seven graphic. The Club Lotus plaque placed on the building in 1984 is still firmly in place.

The Railway Hotel, most recently a rather dodgy 'Funky Brownz', is currently empty and the internals are being stripped.

Anyhow, I spent an interesting half-hour matching up the photos from 'Simpatico's posting above.

Advertisement

#402 mariner

mariner

• 1,850 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 20:25

Not Hornsey but Cheshunt - the whole Delamare Road area is undergoing re-development into housing by a company called Inland Homes.

They have already knocked down a lot of the area and more clearance is due soon. The closure of the Tesco head office probably enabled all this as they owned a large number of the buildings in the road.

The Lotus factory and the Team Lotus/Components buildings are still intact and the current Team Lotus bulding occupant (Monster Gym) has a lease period remaining but it too will go eventually.

So if you want to see the Lotus Cheshunt site go quickly before it is housing.