Photo

Moto Guzzi V8 500cc, 8 carburettors, two DOHC heads, 16 valve, 12,700 rp/m in 1955

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 22:07

Posted Image

Is this the first attempt at getting power via extreme rpm and I mean not high but overboard, in 1955? Details Marvellously mechanical.

Discovery

On Track

Posted Image

Wonderful.

:cool:

EDIT: Holy

Advertisement

#2 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,409 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:42

Well, while we're on the topic of unusual motorcycles...

Posted Image
How about a turbo-diesel with a twin-crank, twin-rod per cylinder arrangement?
Neander Motors

#3 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:57

I know it's utterly pointless, but that's why I like it so much.

Posted Image

#4 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:13

Originally posted by Powersteer
Is this the first attempt at getting power via extreme rpm and I mean not high but overboard, in 1955? Details Marvellously mechanical.

This is just me talking, I have no special info, but I have always been very skeptical of the official power claims made for the Guzzi V8. Despite the high complexity and component count for a motorcycle of that era, the engine itself is not terribly sophisticated in its design. And it was unreliable and inconsistent in its performance. (Eight 20mm Dellortos? Hoo boy.) The whole thing strongly suggests to me that the engine was probably eating itself up in FHP. Again, that is just my take looking from the outside in, and almost 50 years later to boot. I could be totally wrong.

#5 rjsa

rjsa

• 102 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:25

This is something that for sure has been around here, but on the subject of insane packing, a 100cc B12

#6 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:14

Originally posted by McGuire
Despite the high complexity and component count for a motorcycle of that era, the engine itself is not terribly sophisticated in its design.

I do agree that at that time DOHC's and individual intake was already around but the thing is, this engine has been specifically designed and engineered to rev, unlike most engines at that time where their targets to making power around a performance race bike were different. They did not use a vee eight configuration for anything else but to scream. As if those engineers in 1955 would be more surprised with the DFV than todays Formula 1 engines.

As radical as Honda launching the oval piston NR series.

:cool:

#7 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 19:40

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 21:06

Posted Image

Give it some wings (downforce) and you could ride it inverted. How beautifully pointless is that!