Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
976 replies to this topic

#901 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:11

What details would you like?

He was a gofer on the Geoff Smedley rebuild of the Miller Cooper when they prepared it for the LSR. Then he disappeared from Tasmania mysteriously and was next seen as head mechanic at the Geoghegans'. Old Tom got wise to him and he ingratiated himself with Greg Cusack and remained with Greg until the end of the Mustang runs.

From that point he set up a couple of big-name workshops for road cars, 'Burr & Daniel' (shared with Jimmy Daniel) being the best known.

Advertisement

#902 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,811 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 19:29

Bert Laakmann

Bert raced Porsches at Westwood and other local tracks in the late 60s and into the 70s.  He and his friend Charly Godecke won The Province 7-hour at Westwood in 1973 and 1974 in a 911S.  He was a fine, generous gentleman. 

Vince H.

It could be noted that Bert Laakmann was originally from Velbert, Germany.

Norbert-Laakmann-Traueranzeige-1aaaa83d-

https://trauer.lokal...orbert-laakmann

#903 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,458 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:36

Max Cohen-Olivar.  A Le Mans stalwart and the rarity of being a racing driver from Morocco.  Died this past May, aged 73.  Always seemed to be around in the WSC in the 1980s, albeit never picked out in reports.  He was still racing in 2016.

#904 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 510 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:03

Willi-Peter Pitz, co-driver of Rauno Aaltonen, among others, also died this October, I think.

#905 nikhil

nikhil

• 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:10

Leo Wybrott, Passed away 9 June 2018, here in Perth, WA after a long illness with brain cancer. Leo was from Hasting, NZ and one of many NZers to travel to the UK where he started his motor racing career with Lotus and was seen on the Tasman series as a mechanic to Jim Clark and the Lotus 49T. He had a long career that included Lotus, McLaren for 21 yrs and later Nicholson McLaren Engines and XTrac. One of Leo's passions was restoring old race cars, the last of which was a Mclaren M4a which he brought with him when he migrated from the UK to Perth. He ran this car frequently classic car regularity events at Barbagallo, Northam, Albany and Collie. I had the pleasure of working with Leo at McLaren's at Colnbrook in '77 and '78 including running Bruno Giacomelli in an M26 for five GPs. And then more recently as the gofer for him with the M4a. Good times, fond memories and a great guy to be around.

Chris Gray

Edited by nikhil, 03 January 2019 - 03:29.

#906 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:11

One I've picked up from the Roaring Season...

Robin Tanner

Raced a variety of cars in New Zealand, from '39 Ford coupes to Pontiac Firebirds.

#907 D28

D28

• 1,450 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:57

http://vintagemotors...ings-1940-2019/

Sad news on passing of Peter Giddings Sun Jan 6. He will be sorely missed in vintage racing circles.

#908 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,726 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:00

More on Peter Giddings here:

https://vintageracec...ings-1940-2019/

Of course, Peter was a great supporter of real vintage racing.  We fondly remember him racing his Talbot Lago and his Maserati 250F at the much missed Westwood track.  The last Westwood historic race poster and program featured a Kane Rogers rendering of Peter leaving turn 3 at Westwood in his Talbot.  Good times.  And a very approachable, easy guy to talk to.  

A favorite memory...Monterey, 1991.  I have a photo (somewhere) of Peter helping Froilan Gonzalez prepare for some laps in Peter's Talbot.  I asked Peter if this was as much fun as actually driving the car.  His response..."Almost."  Meanwhile, Fangio drove by in the Mercedes W196.  Fangio and Gonzalez exchanged smiles...a special moment.

Vince H.

#909 eldougo

eldougo

• 8,024 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 22:23

Found on NZ Facebook page.

Sad to say that John Edmonds passed on Sunday 6th Jan 19

John purchased Garrie Cooper's Elfin MR5-B (5723) in around 1975 and campained it in Aust and NZ i believe for about two years. Not sure who remembers him, but thought it should be mentioned here. John was a terrific bloke and always had a smile on his face. He told me once that he was down towards the back of the field on grid at Sandown and although he wasn't the fastest, he looked up at the packed grandstand and thought to himself that a many of those seated would have loved to have had his seat. RIP John.

#910 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:59

I remember being in the pits at Sandown once...

Right down the low end, nearest to Peters Corner, and John was struggling with not too many cylinders operating on that Elfin. It sounded pretty bad.

Elwyn Bickley turned to me as we heard him go by, "Who's riding the Triumph?" he asked.

#911 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,296 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:38

RIP John Edmonds. The F5000 fields would have been very thin without the likes of John and all the others who just wanted to be a part of the most powerful openwheeler formula (and quickest outside of F1). Another scary F5000 Sandown moment

below. I can't recall if John was injured in that accident ...... anyone else know?5876-N-Edm-76-lo.jpg8415-Z-Edmon-77-lo.jpg

#912 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,774 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:56

I was discussing Elfins very recently with a bloke I know who hung around Elfin in that period. We both remembered the red and white car and could not remember the drivers name.

And now it turns out he has died. RIP.

And yes to make a decent field first you need cars and John and quite a few others filled those gaps and generally doing it on the cheap were never going to be at the front,, but still had dices down the pack.

That crash pic though, that ditch,,, and look at the crowd. I presume just over the crest down to Dandenong Rd

#913 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:03

That would be right, Lee...

A pretty high-speed lose even if you haven't got a quick car!

#914 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,811 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 19:22

I found a certain John Edward Edmonds from Victoria who was born in 1932. If that man was the racing driver it would mean that John Edmonds was already in his 40s when he raced in the 1970s. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

#915 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,443 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:27

I found a certain John Edward Edmonds from Victoria who was born in 1932. If that man was the racing driver it would mean that John Edmonds was already in his 40s when he raced in the 1970s. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

That would sound correct .

#916 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 421 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:47

Wikipedia (referencing a report on apnews.com) is recording the death yesterday of Glen Wood of Wood Brothers Racing.

#917 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:11

Wikipedia (referencing a report on apnews.com) is recording the death yesterday of Glen Wood of Wood Brothers Racing.

Condolences to family and friends.

https://racer.com/20...wood-1925-2019/

#918 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,811 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 16:58

That would sound correct .

Thanks for the confirmation.

#919 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 18:38

Sad news

Advertisement

#920 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:42

It's being reported on Facebook that Johnny Rutherford's wife Betty has passed away.

Such sad news.

#921 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,687 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:18

I met Betty when I saw Johnny at Goodwood which must have been about 2010. They seemed - and I'm sure they were - a very devoted couple. Condolences to Johnny and all the family.

#922 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:39

Can anyone tell me if there is a record somewhere here or on the Motorsport Memorial site of the death of someone named Tomkin, or Tonkin, or Tomkins or similar at Silverton Hillclimb in the early to mid fifties?

These threads are notoriously difficult to ply with 'search' because people keep running up to date lists of recent additions and names come up so often that it kills the search feature.

#923 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 13:04

Motorsport Memorial records the death of Brian Tonkin at Peak Hill, near Silverton, on an unknown date in 1953:

http://www.motorspor...p?db=ct&n=11186

One of the sources they cite was this post in the Speed’s ultimate price: the toll... thread:

This one should have been listed a long time ago...Brian Tonkin died at a hillclimb at Silverton in western New South Wales. The climb was known as Peak Hill (not to be confused with the town of the same name, between Parkes and Dubbo in Central NSW) and ran from the early fifties to about 1958.I have no idea when he was killed, what he was driving, only that he ran off the road at the hillclimb and died. If anyone can contact Don Mudie or possibly Neville Webb there might be more information available. Or has Brian Lear found anything in his newspaper research?The only mention I have of this incident is in a story I wrote for Motor Racing Australia back in 2000, I would assume it was from information I got while researching that story about the racing circuit that existed briefly in the same area.

#924 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 15:43

Thanks, Tim...

The point is that I met another competitor this weekend, he told me about Tonkin and his crash in his Austin Healey.

Tonkin's car was more powerful than this bloke's and thus arrived at the steep climb up a sort of 'wall' that was a part of the climb. He said to me, "I know what caused that crash because it nearly happened to me. My car was a bit slower so I was able to get out of it."

"There was an optical illusion as you came over the crest and approached the steep climb," he continued, "and it deceived you about the angle of the turn."

I mentioned this to Bob Britton later and he made the point that everything has a refraction index, just like when you have a stick that goes down into the water and appears to bend at an angle at the point of entry. And so it is where there is cool air meeting warm air, so Bob suggested this might have been the cause of the 'optical illusion' mentioned.

#925 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:05

I met Betty when I saw Johnny at Goodwood which must have been about 2010. They seemed - and I'm sure they were - a very devoted couple. Condolences to Johnny and all the family.

When the CART Series ran at Atlanta they used SCCA workers. I was a Tech Inspector at the time. I was assigned as Pit Observer for JR. They were just a pleasure to be around.

Edited by JacnGille, 25 January 2019 - 13:20.

#926 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 527 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:50

Jean Pierre van Rossem's obituary in the Times this morning.

I met him once at Spa after he was out of F1 -quite an experience.

#927 theotherharv

theotherharv

• 108 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:24

Mike McInnerney, a member of this forum passed away March 30th 2018 after a 3-month battle with cancer. Mike was involved in Adelaide's go-fast world in the 60's, working at times with Rowe, Wray and Norman on a variety of projects. Mike was also involved in the refurbishment of the Elfin used during the Bluebird land speed trials, which subsequently set a number of Australian land speed records in it's own right (with Mike behind the wheel for one of them). Mike was also instrumental in the nomination of Alex Rowe for the OAM.

RIP mate. Trust the racing is as good, or better, upstairs than here.

Cheers,

Harv

#928 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:09

I;m not sure if it's recorded on TNF yet, but I've read that 1950s British Hillclimber, David Roscoe passed away earlier in the month. Perhaps someone can tell us whether he was also the motor racing filmmaker please?

My condolences to David's family and friends.

Stephen

#929 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:59

Can anyone tell me if there is a record somewhere here or on the Motorsport Memorial site of the death of someone named Tomkin, or Tonkin, or Tomkins or similar at Silverton Hillclimb in the early to mid fifties?

These threads are notoriously difficult to ply with 'search' because people keep running up to date lists of recent additions and names come up so often that it kills the search feature.

Despite Tim s motorsport memorial reference, a quick glance through my AMS file has'a Broken Hill event on 28 July 1957 with a report in Sept 57 AMS with B Tonkin Austin Healey listed in the results page.  I haven't looked very hard, but can't see mention of a death there. The other Austin Healey mentioned is H Dini and around 3 seconds faster than Tonkin.

Next date I have is 14 Sept 1958. but I also have a date in 1953 and 1955 (there could be other events but the file is, as always a work in progress). Those with VSCCA access or a Neville Webb book might be of assistance.

One could also make an assumption of there being a connection with Ron Tonkin, MG TF, early Elfin racer from SA. The South Oz lads going to the Broken Hill events - McEwin, Jolly, G Cooper, etc.

Stephen

#930 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:18

Thanks, Stephen...

I actually found an AHOC of Victoria newsletter with a history article which game me a date of December, 1958 for the fatal crash by Brian Tonkin:

http://www.healeyvic.com.au/1302.pdf

And I just realised I haven't noted the passing of Citroen ID racer Les Clement in Canberra on October 2, 2018. Les was the father of Mini (etc) racer David Clement as well.

#931 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 510 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:43

Last Friday we lost Charly Lamm, long time Schnitzer boss, who had retired after Macao. After sudden illness, Lamm died on 25/1/2018 with just 65 years old. He was one of the greatest team leaders from the last 30/40 years and much responsible for BMW success, both on Touring Cars, Sport-Prototypes and GT's.

#932 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 00:24

Last Friday we lost Charly Lamm, long time Schnitzer boss, who had retired after Macao. After sudden illness, Lamm died on 25/1/2018 with just 65 years old. He was one of the greatest team leaders from the last 30/40 years and much responsible for BMW success, both on Touring Cars, Sport-Prototypes and GT's.

Sad news

#933 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:19

Bobby Rahal gave a tribute to Lamm during the Datona race today.

#934 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,811 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:31

I;m not sure if it's recorded on TNF yet, but I've read that 1950s British Hillclimber, David Roscoe passed away earlier in the month. Perhaps someone can tell us whether he was also the motor racing filmmaker please?

My condolences to David's family and friends.

Stephen

In fact David Roscoe passed away as early as October 2018.
Obituary.
Can someone help to identify him on this photo?  ;)

1920_roscoe-219846.jpg?10000
Source
More here (scroll to page 3)

#935 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 510 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 17:02

Renowned Italian journalist and writer Beppe Donazzan died today, as it was noticed by his family on Facebook.

#936 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,458 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 19:38

jayski.com .

One of the first websites I ever discovered, 21 years ago, when looking for NASCAR info.  Got absorbed into ESPN and today is its last day. 

Another victim of Brian The Idiot France's bastardization of NASCAR?

#937 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,571 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:08

Former Indy Car entrant Sherman E. Armstrong, Sr. passed away on January 23rd.

https://www.legacy.c...x?pid=191362702

#938 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 286 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 13:58

Karl Foitek died on January 1st.

https://www.blick.ch...id15095024.html

#939 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 19:38

It has been recorded elsewhere that Australian motor racing photographer, Roderick Mackenzie passed away at the start of the month. Rod was a member here on TNF as 'launchpad'.

In the late 60s Rod saw his photos published in the likes of Sports Car World. A flick through the Australian Motor Racing annuals of that era will also reveal his work. In more recent times, his photos and brief writeup appear in the Loxley Tasman book.

Mark Bisset put together a tribute to Rod. https://primotipo.co...5/mildren-chev/

My condolences to his family and friends.

Stephen

Advertisement

#940 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 510 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:33

RIP Rod McKenzie. I think he was on Facebook and had a pretty good photo page.

#941 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:15

I didn't realise he was that sick...

He did tell me he was unwell while we were doing the Tasman Cup book, but even when I spoke to him a couple of months ago I had no idea.

A terrible loss, so enthusiastic and such good photos.

#942 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,607 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:42

I’m very sorry to hear this. I so enjoyed the photos that he posted here. RIP Rod.

#943 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 510 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 00:56

I'm afraid to bring mire bad news... Manuel Monteiro, gentleman-driver which drove in Le Mans in the nineties, alongside his French-born son Michel, dued today when a tree he was cutting fell over him.
As so many Portuguese, he left Portugal to France with 18 to flee from the Colonial War and the dictatorship, and established in France, managing to create a string business and then fulfilling hus dream to race at Le Mans.RIP

#944 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:34

It has been recorded elsewhere that Australian motor racing photographer, Roderick Mackenzie passed away at the start of the month. Rod was a member here on TNF as 'launchpad'.

In the late 60s Rod saw his photos published in the likes of Sports Car World. A flick through the Australian Motor Racing annuals of that era will also reveal his work. In more recent times, his photos and brief writeup appear in the Loxley Tasman book.

Sad news

#945 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,897 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:53

I, too am saddened to hear of Rod's passing.

Thanks to your contributions to our mutual passions. Hate to see you go.

#946 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:53

Don Shervey has passed away, age 97.

It mentions him doing 180 mph at Indianapolis at age 90.  I believe he was in his Vollstedt Indy car.  As for ballroom dancing, up until recent years, I believe Don and his wife loved to do that with Rolla Vollstedt and his wife.

More info here:

2013 Portland Historics:

IMG-0086.jpg

Don (centre) with former racers Bill Craine (left) and Dick Bech.

IMG-0077.jpg

Don (centre) with Larry Webb (left) and the late Peter Giddings

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 08 February 2019 - 07:14.

#947 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 13:15

Sad news

#948 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,684 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 20:14

I'd be very surprised if any of our UK members - or even many of our further-flung ones - don't own a book or two published by the various companies controlled by John H Haynes.

#949 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,989 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 00:14

Indeed, very well known...

Various workshop manuals abound, and in my family, my cousin's books on engine tuning were published by Haynes.

#950 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 596 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 18:23

I have a copy of the first Haynes booklet, Building a '750' Special.