Photo

Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
954 replies to this topic

#951 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,066 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 22:20

I've just had a quick count up.  In my motor racing library of about 200 titles I have 20 published by Haynes.  A significant proportion.

Advertisement

#952 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,756 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:56

My apologies for not posting this the other day when Max told me...

Doug Stewart, former rally driver, organiser, team manager, architect of Mitsubishi's many Southern Cross Rally wins and Australian Safari triumphs, Ralliart franchisee and CAMS National President, has died.

Here's the CAMS website's tribute, strangely enough capped by a picture dating back to the sixties as he presented a trophy to Chris Amon. This must surely be the day Amon won the Sandown Park round to seal his Tasman Cup series win.

Edited by Ray Bell, 23 February 2019 - 11:58.

#953 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,301 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 00:26

It has been announced that John Kennerley passed away last night here in Australia. John ran early TVR and Lotus in the late 50s/early 60s in UK motor sport.

TNF's robmk2a has been researching John's events and cars as part of his on-going TVR research.

John's wife is high profile Australian TV presenter, Kerri-Anne Kennerley.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Stephen

#954 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,756 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:29

Max Stahl phoned me today...

He'd just been advised that his old friend, Ken Britton, had died. Ken has been in a nursing home with dementia for about four years, he took a nosedive about four weeks ago and he was in a sorry state when Max visited last week.

They've been close friends since 1956, when they were in the Eastern Suburbs Sporting Car Club together. Ken and Max would alternate driving and navigating roles in trials and Ken was on hand to help Max when he was racing. He often accompanied Max to race meetings in later years and sometimes on trips.

His son, Rod, managed Perth Motorplex and other drag racing establishments, I think he also edited a magazine about drag racing. To Rod and his brother I offer my condolences.

#955 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,756 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:21

And further from Max:

It’s my sad duty to advise you of the passing of our long standing dear colleague,

Ken Britton, last Saturday, 9 March on the Queensland Gold Coast.

Ken had reached 86 years in a full and active life, but was unable to withstand the ravages

of Dementia despite the tender care of Nurses at the Bupa Tugun over the past five years,

after losing his beloved wife, Moira, the love of his life.

Together they enjoyed a long and loving life, which bore them two sons, Rod and Glen,

and a veritable army of dear friends.

A Memorial Service for Ken will be held tomorrow, Thursday 14 March at 2.30pm (NSW time)

at the Tweed Heads Memorial Gardens, 176 Kirkwood Road Tweed Heads, followed by

a gathering from 2.45pm (Qld time) at Tugun Bowls Club.

Kind Regards and best wishes

Max