Photo

First supercharged/forced induction motor bike?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 19:44

Slightly off at a tangent but there is a later motorbike thread already.....

Talking to the proprietor at a motor museum in France recently he showed me the engine of a motorbike which carried a compressor/supercharger. It was a one-off built and raced in 1920, with a reported speed of 240kph in a straight line. It was 4 cylinders, vertical in line, and seemed to be built into a low height chassis, or the rider was tall. The make was Ragot, as in Casimir Ragot Special, see other relevant thread, built by a Bordeaux based engineer, Monsieur Ragot, ten years before his racing car. Only the engine remains, less compressor, and I have photos of it now and a photo of a photo of the bike and rider in period. If any one wishes to post them, please email me

Do we know which was the first supercharged/forced induction motor bike? I am familiar with BMW's creation from 1937/38 from Goodwood.

Roger Lund.

BTW at the same museum there is an early, said to be the first, French Army flight simulator from WW2 in wonderful condition. Photos again available

RL

Advertisement

#2 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 19:53

The Bekamo seems to have been from 1922 ...

Posted Image

It is claimed to have been the first supercharged bike at http://zenhelios.com...910_to_1929.htm

"German made Bekamo caused a sensation. The 129cc Bekamo was the first supercharged motorcycle. The engine was a single cylinder two stroke with a second connecting rod driving the supercharger."

#3 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 20:01

Originally posted by GeoffE
The Bekamo seems to have been from 1922 ...

Posted Image

It is claimed to have been the first supercharged bike at http://zenhelios.com...910_to_1929.htm

"German made Bekamo caused a sensation. The 129cc Bekamo was the first supercharged motorcycle. The engine was a single cylinder two stroke with a second connecting rod driving the supercharger."

More of a split single, like DKW?