Photo

Tony Pond - IoM TT lap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 18:46

In 1988 rally driver Tony Pond raced a Rover Vitesse around the 37 mile TT course on the Isle of Man. I've read that he broke the 100mph barrier but a friend who was there says he narrowly failed. Did he or didn't he?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 18:51

He failed at his first attempt, but cracked it in 1990
It's all on video, and probably DVD by now as well
It's called TT Challenge and was produced by Duke Marketing

#3 MCS

MCS

• 4,730 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 19:16

I recently read in a magazine of a plan for a race over the TT course in 1967 between John Surtees in his F1 Honda and Mike Hailwood on his Honda motorbike :eek:

It did not, of course, take place. But does anybody have any background on this?

I believe the RACMSA stopped it.

#4 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,074 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 19:24

Now that you mention the Ilse TT, which I completely forgot, even though I knew there was some event I missing that I usually check on--here a note fromthe Senior event that shows bike racers still rank first when it comes to cajones (and yes some gents markers were called in):-----------

John McGuinness set the Isle of Man alight in Friday’s Senior TT sponsored by Pokerstars when he not only led the race from start to finish, but also became the first man to break the magical 130mph barrier.

A second lap speed of 130.354mph sent the HM Plant Honda rider into the record books once more and the win was his 13th victory in total. In a repeat of Monday’s Bennetts TT Superbike race Guy Martin and Ian Hutchinson again took second and third positions.

McGuinness made his usual fast start to break the outright lap record from a standing start, but Martin was pushing him hard and there was only seconds in it in the first 24 miles. However, John’s mastery of the Mountain section was again evident and by the time the riders had completed their first lap he was almost 10 seconds clear.

Martin matched him over the first part of the second lap and although he was also inside the old lap record with a speed of 129.816mph, John’s scintillating 130mph+ lap sent him clear. Martin had pulled clear of Hutchinson, while another pre-race favourite, Bruce Anstey, was out early on and Irish hopes were also dashed with Martin Finnegan and Ryan Farquhar both early retirements.

#5 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 19:37

Found it. Looks good!

-William

#6 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:40

Thank you for including that clip. I've ridden the Mountain circuit a few times (on a road bike) and I'm full of admiration for these fast, brave and skillful riders.