Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
8874 replies to this topic

#8851 opplock

opplock

• 555 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 19:15

I wrote a review for Speedreaders.info on the Redman book.To summarise - dreadful cover, awful title , brilliant book .

I agree about it being a brilliant book, despite ignoring the only time I saw him race in a single seater. Fair enough as it was in 76. The title is a bit tabloid for my liking. I thought the cover was rather 70s in style and the messy layout is a small price to pay for having that superb Targa Florio scene on the front cover. 

Edited by opplock, 19 October 2018 - 19:25.

Advertisement

#8852 group7

group7

• 466 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:07

Are we likely to see this in English, or were previous editions (in which I've been given to believe there were errors ?) available in English ?

https://www.abebooks..._-srp1-_-image1

#8853 chrisj

chrisj

• 760 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:44

I've gotten some great recommendations from this thread in the past (everything from a history of stock car racing to Formula 2), so I'm asking for help again. I recently read a wonderful interview with Giulio Ramponi which got me inspired to read more about racing in the 1920's. Could anyone recommend a good book, preferably in English or Italian (or French)? I'm most interested the Alfa Romeo team personalities and stories of the races. Thank you in advance for any advice.

#8854 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 32,638 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:16

Some of the recommendations here will probably help:

https://forums.autos...eference-books/

#8855 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 850 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:18

Luca Dal Monte's recent book on Enzo Ferrari 'Power. Politics And The Making Of An Automotive Empire' contains a lot about his time with Alfa Romeo in the 1920's and thirties with Ascari, Campari, Nuvolari, Varzi and Ramponi etc.

#8856 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 346 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 16:31

I've gotten some great recommendations from this thread in the past (everything from a history of stock car racing to Formula 2), so I'm asking for help again. I recently read a wonderful interview with Giulio Ramponi which got me inspired to read more about racing in the 1920's. Could anyone recommend a good book, preferably in English or Italian (or French)? I'm most interested the Alfa Romeo team personalities and stories of the races. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi Chris

Can you tell me where you saw the wonderful Ramponi interview?

Thanks

Paul

#8857 chrisj

chrisj

• 760 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 16:48

Hi Chris

Can you tell me where you saw the wonderful Ramponi interview?

Thanks

Paul

Paul -- here you go: 

http://grandprixrati...iniscences.html

#8858 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 346 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 17:31

Paul -- here you go: 

http://grandprixrati...iniscences.html

Many thanks, Chris - very helpful.

#8859 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 850 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:21

That's  a wonderful interview. Thank you for the link.

Advertisement

#8860 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 32,638 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:34

Many thanks, Chris - very helpful.

That's  a wonderful interview. Thank you for the link.

Indeed. Although I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have 'elected to be interned'. Just about every Italian citizen in Britain was rounded up in 1940 and almost all were interned long term - but not by choice. The 'protestations of his of his many and influential English friends' would only have come into play if he had appealed against internment - which a lot did, mostly unsuccessfully. So it's probably more correct to say that he declined to appeal. Even after the fall of Mussolini, those considered to be dedicated Fascisti were not released and others (considered less of a security risk) were directed into war work - Ramponi presumably fell into the latter group.

See the book Collar the Lot! by Peter & Leni Gillman (Quartet 1980).

Ramponi is mentioned here in the memories of a former Wales & Edwards employee:

https://web.archive....ales_and_edward

#8861 blackmme

blackmme

• 712 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:43

I was surprised to see the newly released Haynes ‘Workshop’ Manual for the McLaren MP4/4 in my local Works shop (and online) for £6.
It is absolutely excellent (especially for a modeler) although it is with the Nicholls not Murray camp when it comes to the cars conception and design.

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 22 October 2018 - 12:52.

#8862 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 32,638 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 17:09

And in similar vein, once more donning my charity selling titfer, a mint, first edition, copy of the Haynes Lotus 72 manual - eBay item 253948136421. Yours for a tenner!

And SOLD! Again to a TNFer :wave:

#8863 chrisj

chrisj

• 760 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 21:16

Luca Dal Monte's recent book on Enzo Ferrari 'Power. Politics And The Making Of An Automotive Empire' contains a lot about his time with Alfa Romeo in the 1920's and thirties with Ascari, Campari, Nuvolari, Varzi and Ramponi etc.

Thank you. A local library has this, so I've placed a hold.

Some of the recommendations here will probably help:

https://forums.autos...eference-books/

Thank you, I missed this thread when it was more active.

#8864 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 97 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 16:38

I just thought I'd mention a couple of new books that have recently come out and in my opinion would be well worth adding to any collection for they are good reads.

First up I would just like to say what an absolutely marvelous book 'Donington Park: The Pioneers' by John Bailie is.  I purchased a copy earlier this week and it is a fantastic read.  I have only ever been to Donington a couple of times, back in the 90s, and so this book has given that connection to the circuit that I totally missed before.  The pictures and maps are a delight, how they show the old course compared to the current, how and why the changes were made, and the best part, the reports on the races in the 30s.  For me, the book is worth every penny of the £85 cover price.

My second book, which I have read since the weekend, is 'Driven: The Men Who Made Formula One' by Kevin Eason (of The Times).  I have to say, in my opinion, the book is a cracking little read.  It has been crafted with that paddock knowledge gained over 20 years, couple to some superb and honest interviews with the likes of BCE, di Montezemelo, Mosley and Ron Dennis.  I have found some of the book most interesting, such as the section where Bernie says he engineered Lewis Hamilton's move to Mercedes for $32 million, when Dennis thought he had Lewis at $20 million.  At 385 pages there is a lot of information covering some background from the 50s to current day 2018 paddock.  At Amazon it is selling for £15.99, and again I would say well worth the price.

Colin

#8865 john aston

john aston

• 1,559 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:53

News on my book , which will be published next year by Veloce. The final title is DRIVEN : an Elegy to Cars , Roads & Motorsport . 

It is partly motoring/motor sport biography ( covering everything from 60s hillclimbs to Nascar to F1 (ancient and  modern) and Ferrari ) and partly a detailed account of my 2017 season in UK motorsport . But it's not about runners and riders, results ,  fastest laps etc but it is about people , places and machinery. I cover everything from drag racing and Autograss , via VSCC trials and RAC speed hillclimbs to circuit stuff  (BTCC to HSCC - and even the weird world of Time Attack).   Foreword by Simon Arron of this parish .

More  on Veloce.co.uk and also now listed on Amazon     

#8866 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 13:02

Sounds good John, when its available?

#8867 john aston

john aston

• 1,559 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:40

It will be out late Spring I think- but no firm date yet. Will keep you posted.

#8868 MCS

MCS

• 4,085 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 18:28

Look forward to seeing this!  Good fun by the look of it and a shame it's not ready for Christmas, but even so.

Which reminds me, did you make it to the VSCC Lake District trial the other week?  Just curious, as when you mentioned it I thought back to a few decades ago when I fell across it whilst admiring the wonders of Buttermere and elsewhere - a glorious afternoon that I've never quite forgotten in one of the world's most beautiful places...

#8869 john aston

john aston

• 1,559 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:44

I did  indeed , and it was just splendid. The 2017 event was actually one of the highlights of my motorsport year , and gets about 3000 words in the book. A few too many Austin Sevens and not enough Brescia Bugattis perhaps , but still  a lovely event contested by marvellously eccentric people  in stunning surroundings. Wonder what a typical armchair effone fan would make of it all? 

#8870 MCS

MCS

• 4,085 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 13:22

Ha ha.  Excellent post, John!  Looking forward to seeing the book. :up:

#8871 Steve L

Steve L

• 341 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 16:14

There seem to be lots of (hopefully) good books coming out at the moment about the smaller pre war manufacturers. This one will be on my to buy list

https://www.fonthill...-the-aeroplanes

#8872 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 621 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 23:02

There's a new book, the life of Oliver Speight. He was the Competitions Manager of Dunlop in the early / mid 60s, supplying tyres to the works teams of the time....later on he ran the UK branch of Jolly Club, running Lancias in British and European rallies for the likes of Pat Moss-Carlsson....invented / created rallypoint at Ragley Hall, ......in more recent times he led[?] a group trying to buy Silverstone from the BRDC when the latter put it up for sale.  

Book is "Speight of The Heart" - proceeds go to the Mark Speight Foundation, a charity Oliver set up following the death of his son Mark.

#8873 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,993 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 20:03

Veloce are holding an 80% off sale on certain titles.  For phone orders only quoting code EIGHTY18.  I get their email newsletter and it is probably necessary to sign up to get the offer.

Edited by D-Type, 07 December 2018 - 21:44.

#8874 Steve L

Steve L

• 341 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 13:26

I received an offer to get 40% off the Marendaz book so took the plunge. Ordered Thursday and arrived today (good service!).

I've only had chance for a quick look so far, but it looks to be a most comprehensive and very well illustrated work. It is roughly A5 size and softback and excellent value for the £17 including P&P I spent.

I can also recommend "Archie Frazer Nash - Engineer".

#8875 DCapps

DCapps

• 395 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 19:36

My second book, which I have read since the weekend, is 'Driven: The Men Who Made Formula One' by Kevin Eason (of The Times).  I have to say, in my opinion, the book is a cracking little read.  It has been crafted with that paddock knowledge gained over 20 years, couple to some superb and honest interviews with the likes of BCE, di Montezemelo, Mosley and Ron Dennis.  I have found some of the book most interesting, such as the section where Bernie says he engineered Lewis Hamilton's move to Mercedes for $32 million, when Dennis thought he had Lewis at $20 million.  At 385 pages there is a lot of information covering some background from the 50s to current day 2018 paddock.  At Amazon it is selling for £15.99, and again I would say well worth the price.

Colin

Out of curiosity, I bought this book and was very surprised how interesting it actually was. While scarcely much of a fan of the current F1 era (which I date back to around the FIASCO War period), it was actually enlightening for once, providing far more about the politics and so forth that takes place behind the scenes than is usually given any real coverage -- than again, may I just wasn't paying much in the way of attention, of course. Far better than the usual tripe on F1 that seems to be the standard fare.