• Please log in to reply
8913 replies to this topic

#8901 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 20,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:18

The winners and other top contenders in the Montagu Trophy since 2000 are here:

https://www.gomw.co.uk/awards/montagu

although the Montagu Trophy award has been running for a lot longer than that.

Advertisement

#8902 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 32,899 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:18

According to the Guild's website, the list of all Montagu Award winners can be found in their Who's Who in the Motor Industry yearbook.

All the Guild's 2016, 2017 and 2018 winners are linked here: https://www.gomw.co.uk/awards There are also links to the 2012 and 2013 awards in the sidebar, but presumably nobody remembered to update the page to include 2014 and 2015 when they were dropped off the main text!

#8903 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 116 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:21

According to the Guild's website, the list of all Montagu Award winners can be found in their Who's Who in the Motor Industry yearbook.

All the Guild's 2016, 2017 and 2018 winners are linked here: https://www.gomw.co.uk/awards There are also links to the 2012 and 2013 awards in the sidebar, but presumably nobody remembered to update the page to include 2014 and 2015 when they were dropped off the main text!

Thank you for pointing out this omission, I will let the relevant person know and get the problem fixed.

#8904 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 116 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 13:01

All done!

#8905 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,040 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:48

It looks as if the Montagu Award is given to an individual and is not necessarily related to a particular book.  Is that correct?

#8906 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 116 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:19

It looks as if the Montagu Award is given to an individual and is not necessarily related to a particular book.  Is that correct?

A very good point...........I will get clarification and report back.

#8907 karlcars

karlcars

• 627 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:26

As this year's recipient I can say that it's awarded to a particular book -- and its author!

I'm proud to be the first recipient. I said at the time that the award's merit would only be decided by the winning books that followed. I think it has been a good index of merit since.

#8908 karlcars

karlcars

• 627 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:33

Just caught up with the post by Steve L suggesting a book about George Eyston. I agree that this could be very interesting indeed. 

He of course figures in various parts of the Railton saga, including the Goldie Gardner chapter. In fact I provide an appendix describing the design and creation of his Thunderbolt. He also has a role in The Supercharging Story which I hope to wrap up later this year.

Any more votes for Eyston?

#8909 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 32,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:53

Just caught up with the post by Steve L suggesting a book about George Eyston. I agree that this could be very interesting indeed. 

He of course figures in various parts of the Railton saga, including the Goldie Gardner chapter. In fact I provide an appendix describing the design and creation of his Thunderbolt. He also has a role in The Supercharging Story which I hope to wrap up later this year.

Absolutely!

I believe he holds the distinction of being the only LSR holder to attempt to qualify as an Olympic yachtsman ... and I'm also pretty sure there's much to be discovered about his various flirtations with powerboating. :)

#8910 Steve L

Steve L

• 350 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 14:13

Hi Karl.

I thought my suggestion was a cheeky one in a way, but then again I also thought it to be a very good and interesting one too!

GET seems to have lived a hugely full and varied life and I would love to learn and see more about him and his projects.  As well as the things I mentioned before, I'd like to know about his early life including service record, his involvement through the 1920's with Aston Martin (both on track and on the water), racing with Bugatti cars, his professional and personal relationship with Ernest Eldridge (another fascinating character in his own right for both the right and wrong reasons! - aero engined Brooklands monsters, specials raced at the Indy 500, Miller record attempts, bigamy...), all of the super record breaking cars (MG's, Black Magic, Speed of the Wind, Thunderbolt...).

I think you would have a ready market for such a book including everyone interested in the marques with which George Eyston was associated, as well as the record breaking enthusiasts.

Edited by Steve L, 10 February 2019 - 14:14.

#8911 ensign14

ensign14

• 47,420 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 16:29

I would vote for an Eyston book too, he's something of an overlooked figure.  Land Speed Record holder in an era in which the world's fastest cars were built in the Black Country.  And a Military Cross holder.

I'd also vote for a Nigel Beresford book.  :wave:

#8912 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,040 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 00:27

As this year's recipient I can say that it's awarded to a particular book -- and its author!

I'm proud to be the first recipient. I said at the time that the award's merit would only be decided by the winning books that followed. I think it has been a good index of merit since.

But the Guild of Motoring Writers lists the author and not the book.  As a potential book buyer I was hoping the Guild could advise me which books to buy.  But sadly it appears not to be so.

Edited by D-Type, 15 February 2019 - 00:34.

#8913 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 116 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:11

But the Guild of Motoring Writers lists the author and not the book.  As a potential book buyer I was hoping the Guild could advise me which books to buy.  But sadly it appears not to be so.

D-Type - your point is a very valid one, the books that the awards are based on should also be listed as well as their authors.

I have alerted the relevant persons responsible for putting this information on the Guild website, I am told it is in hand. I will chase.......

jb

#8914 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,040 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:10

D-Type - your point is a very valid one, the books that the awards are based on should also be listed as well as their authors.

I have alerted the relevant persons responsible for putting this information on the Guild website, I am told it is in hand. I will chase.......

jb

Thanks,  I asked the question because I felt award-winning books are worthy of serious consideration.