Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
8994 replies to this topic

#8951 PCC

PCC

• 844 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:15

I wasn’t crying outrage, but I hope I am entitled to say what I think.

Those 225 pounds to me look directed to those who can afford to buy his cars, rather than someone keen to study his ideas - if he has any, that is – or recollections.

On the latter point, that's entirely possible (apart from the gratuitous insinuation that Gordon Murray has no ideas). He, the writer and the publisher have every right to decide who their market is. We may think they made a poor decision, but they make the decision and they live with the consequences.

As for your being entitled to say what you want, obviously you are. Did anyone suggest otherwise? Or do you take any disagreement as an affront to that right? :confused:

Advertisement

#8952 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:40

£225 is way above what I would be prepared to pay - or any of my family would be prepared to pay for a Christmas or birthday gift.

#8953 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:50

This is a penetrating glimpse of the obvious, but we need to remember it.

Niche market books tend to be over-priced as a malign set of consequences applies. It's a small market, so you expect to sell rather few copies, so the unit price is high to cover production costs and that high price deters purchasers, so you sell fewer than expected and the price has to be even higher and so ad infinitum.

#8954 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,006 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:25

According to the listing on Amazon, Skeens is not the ghostwriter - he's the writer. It's a biography, not an autobiography. Publishers sign contacts with books' authors, not their subjects. If the publisher and author want to secure a subject's cooperation, then remuneration may be required, but as I said, it's not a given.

Yes, well I did say "for want of a better term" didn't I? I know that Nick Skeens wasn't a "ghostwriter" in the dictionary definition of the word, he has his name on the front of the book, but it's undeniable that without huge input and co-operation from John Barnard, the work wouldn't exist. I'll say again, Nick Skeens has done an excellent job, The Perfect Car is a commendable piece of work, well written and a very informative and enjoyable read, but the inescapable fact is that without massive input from John Barnard, it couldn't exist. I agree that "ghostwriter" isn't the correct term, but can you suggest a more appropriate one, maybe co-writer? In effect it's John Barnard's book, expertly compiled and written by Nick Skeels, who freely admits that he knew almost nothing about the subject before he approached John with his proposal. Given the magnitude of the task, as well as being a fine writer, he's clearly also very brave.

#8955 PCC

PCC

• 844 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:08

Yes, well I did say "for want of a better term" didn't I? I know that Nick Skeens wasn't a "ghostwriter" in the dictionary definition of the word, he has his name on the front of the book, but it's undeniable that without huge input and co-operation from John Barnard, the work wouldn't exist. I'll say again, Nick Skeens has done an excellent job, The Perfect Car is a commendable piece of work, well written and a very informative and enjoyable read, but the inescapable fact is that without massive input from John Barnard, it couldn't exist. I agree that "ghostwriter" isn't the correct term, but can you suggest a more appropriate one, maybe co-writer? In effect it's John Barnard's book, expertly compiled and written by Nick Skeels, who freely admits that he knew almost nothing about the subject before he approached John with his proposal. Given the magnitude of the task, as well as being a fine writer, he's clearly also very brave.

Thanks a lot - the last thing I need is yet another book that I no longer have shelf space for - and now you've made me want one!

Actually, from what you say, Skeens is fully deserving of being called the author, period (which is what he's called on the publisher's website). Lots of books couldn't be written without the subject's cooperation, but the guy who punches the keys and grinds out the words is the sole author. It's a tough and exacting craft, and apparently Mr. Skeens has nailed it.

#8956 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 100 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 23:18

It is an authorised biography.  Therefore Skeens is the author but the book was clearly written with the full co-operation of the subject (John Barnard).  Please don't use the term "ghostwriter" (notwithstanding your caveat) because that implies something entirely different (and something I hate) whereby you really don't know how much input the supposed writer has actually had into the thing at all.  For the same reason I used to detest the "driver" columns in Autosport and the like which almost never told you anything you couldn't have written yourself anyway.  I forget now which driver it was (Nelson Piquet?) who supposedly agreed to a column but then basically left his ghostwriter to make it all up.  Anyway, Skeens fully deserves to be titled the author because, as well as the considerable input from Barnard, there is a great deal from many others that Skeens interviewed and getting Barnard and Dennis together at the end of the book is surely very much down to Skeens too.

Separately, back on the subject of the Gordon Murray book, I'm sure he and his publishers have chosen the option they believe will best allow them to tell the story they want to tell and to do that (with the quantity of illustrations etc.) for a niche subject, as Allan quite rightly says above, necessitates an unfortunately high price.  Unfortunate, at least as far as potential purchasers are concerned.  Whether the quality of the result is deserving of it only time will tell.  

#8957 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:07

The ghostwritten racing driver column is  a tradition going back a long way - didn't Eoin Young do Bruce McLaren's,  then Denny Hulme's and Jody Scheckter's 'diaries' in Autosport ?

Raikkonen's would be an  easy enough gig - here's  Kimi's  apercu into Chinese GP -

Easy isn't it ?

#8958 Steve L

Steve L

• 366 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:55

Corks!

https://www.veloceto...ck-book-review/

Why are there so many great books coming out and I have so little money for them?!

Edited by Steve L, 16 April 2019 - 15:56.

#8959 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:35

I see Amazon are listing a new edition of Hugh Tours' biography of Parry Thomas, which includes a further chapter on the restoration of Babs. They claim it will be published by Pen & Sword at the end of July - it isn't at present listed on Pen & Sword's website, so presumably it's delayed ...

Advertisement

#8960 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,942 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:12

Amazon are currently offering Reid Railton - Man of Speed at well below half price. Still not 'cheap' at £62.32 - but definitely a bargain at that price.

Having just ordered this - as well as Alessandro Silva's magnum opus Back on Track - I reckon that's my reading for the next few months sorted!

#8961 Jhdrussell

Jhdrussell

• 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 14:14

For the (few?) people who are interested, the esteemed Formula One Register, lead nowadays by Richard Page, have recently published an updated "Black Book' covering the British Hillclimb Championship from 1947 to 2000.

The original edition was published back in the mid 1990s and this edition, which runs to over 400 pages, contains a wealth of new information.

Richard has been helped in this mammoth endeavour by Jerry Sturman, and acknowledgement is also given, amongst others, to Steve Wilkinson and Marcus Pye.

The volume is priced at £75 plus P&P.

There is also a companion volume covering 2001 to 2018, and the two volumes may be purchased together for £125 plus P&P.

See http://www.formulaon...illclimb-vol-1/ for more details.

#8962 VWV

VWV

• 290 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 00:56

A new Pete Lyons book on the Lotus 72  https://www.petelyons.com/p/lotus-72

#8963 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,419 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:48

I've had e.mails the past few days about some Australian books just released...

0519oranparkbook.jpg

Neville Beyer began as a minor official at Oran Park and went on to be intrinsically linked to the circuit and its organisation. He also raced at times, so he knew what was going on and had all the contacts to make doing this book viable.

Dave Clement phoned me this morning to tell me it's a fascinating book, about 290 pages and full of interesting information and photos.

Meanwhile, Terry Cornelius has decided it's time to tell his own story about his (mostly speedway) racing. I haven't seen this book either, but I know Terry tells a good yarn and he's been at it for many decades. This one is $30 and that includes postage within Australia.

0519terrycorneliusbook.jpg

#8964 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:33

Did anyone of you see or buy the Peter Nygaard book "Formel 1". A tome of 7 kg and 750 pages. Graham Gauld was very positive on this even if it in Danish.

A great addition for 58 euros?

#8965 LordAston

LordAston

• 167 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:08

A book I'd love to see but do not think it will ever see the light of day would be a book on Roland Ratzenberger in English -  I think Adam Cooper would be a good candidate to write it IMO as he did such a s good job on Piers Courage.

#8966 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,567 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:22

Just a heads up that Amazon (in the UK at least) are selling the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions of Autocourse at heavily discounted rates of between £5-7.

#8967 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,336 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:59

Back on the previous page of this thread I posted details (post 8917) of Vintage Bentleys in Australia.

Bringing things up to date is that copies can now be found at Chaters and Hortons in the UK. In the USA they can be found at Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank, California and Australia they are at Pitstop in Sydney and MotorBookWorld in Melbourne.

You are also welcome to contact one of the authors direct at

treasurerATvintagebentley.org

The other great news for this collaborative effort from Clare Hay, Bob Watson, Phillip Schudmak & Tony Johns is that in the current (June 2019 issue 192) Octane magazine their book has received the Book of the month status. Airmail copies of the June Octane are available in Australian newsagents today.

2019-Vintage-Bentleys-Octane.jpg

Stephen

#8968 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,858 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:54

For the (few?) people who are interested, the esteemed Formula One Register, lead nowadays by Richard Page, have recently published an updated "Black Book' covering the British Hillclimb Championship from 1947 to 2000.
The original edition was published back in the mid 1990s and this edition, which runs to over 400 pages, contains a wealth of new information.
Richard has been helped in this mammoth endeavour by Jerry Sturman, and acknowledgement is also given, amongst others, to Steve Wilkinson and Marcus Pye.
The volume is priced at £75 plus P&P.

There is also a companion volume covering 2001 to 2018, and the two volumes may be purchased together for £125 plus P&P.

See http://www.formulaon...illclimb-vol-1/ for more details.

My copy arrived today and I endorse everything written above. Richard Page deserves huge credit for carrying on the tradition and quality started by Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati. The second editions of the various F1R books are an advance on the originals, incorporating much research done in recent years.

Edited by Roger Clark, 16 May 2019 - 05:55.

#8969 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,119 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:40

Has anyone heard when the Michael Lynch/Luigi Chinetti, Jr., book on Luigi, Sr., and NART will be published? I've heard conflicting reports on how close to completion it was when Lynch died.

#8970 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:48

It has arrived - by far the most expensive book I have ever, or will ever buy . Gordon Murray's huge two volume autobiography . It weighs about 15lbs and a flick through was difficult to stop - some very tempting  stuff there , including exquisite illustrations . More when I am done - but don't hold your breath , this one will be savoured .

Just finished Dal Monte's 950 page Ferrari  book - a wonderful piece of research , no stone unturned , quotes from everybody and anybody but crikey , it was a long slog... My review soon on speedreaders.info 

#8971 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,123 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 15:58

In recognition of the company’s 40th anniversary, McFarland is running a website promotion between 10 June and 30 June 2019 covering ALL books.
Website orders are discounted by 25%.

https://mcfarlandboo...ion/automotive/

#8972 karlcars

karlcars

• 630 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:26

Hi Gang,

Just to let you know that Bentley is now taking orders on its website for my new all-transformed Porsche - Excellence Was Expected.

To the end of the month they are offering a discount on orders with the use of code EXCELLENCE-53.

It's the end result of some 12 years of researching, analysing and writing about all aspects of Porsche since 1974.

My very best to all,

Karl L.

#8973 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,551 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 15:50

Apologies if Simon Taylor's terrific new HWM book has been previously mentioned here - but I have just received the two volumes in their slipcase, published by Evro and it is BRILLIANT!

From Michael Turner's wonderfully evocative colour covers to sometimes amusing, ultimately extremely poignant story of this wonderfully down-to-earth and human team itself, this is very highly recommended...

DCN

#8974 LordAston

LordAston

• 167 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:19

I'm not buying these but for those interested there are two books on Sportfahrer's website

One about the Ford 3L by Ed Heuvink the other about the Ford GT 101 by same author.

https://www.sportfah...-racing-f3l/p68

#8975 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:08

My Greatest Defeat - Will Buxton . I didn't want to like this book as I find the author's style rather too starry eyed and breathless - i prefer some grit in my oyster.

But actually , it is a fascinating read as drivers , and in their own words,  describe their personal lows . The good bit is that these aren't confined to last lap break downs but something often much more personal. Drivers come from F1 (natch ) , NASCAR , Rallying and Endurance racing - and include Damon Hill , Derek Bell, Bobby Unser and Sebastian Loeb . . Hill is his cerebral, self analytical self  and Loeb is actually rather dull , surprisingly . Some fascinating insights ,and don't let the cover put you off 

Paranoia, alcoholism , the Lauda Air tragedy , marital breakdown, betrayal  and catastrophic injury feature - it's all cheerful stuff ...

Worth a read - my full review is now  on speedreaders.info

#8976 PRD

PRD

• 388 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 16:47

£225 is way above what I would be prepared to pay -

I had a look at the books today at Goodwood and I agree, it’s not worth £225 to me, so I won’t be buying them

Edited by PRD, 06 July 2019 - 16:47.

#8977 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,336 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 00:19

Quite often Australia's national broadcaster, ABC runs author interviews on their early morning TV show 'News Breakfast' - yesterday there was a surprise. They ran a 4-5 minute interview with co- author, Akos Armont relating to a new book he and Tony Davis have put together about Aussie motor racing great, Jack Brabham.

It came out on Monday and given it's a large publisher, suspect copies will be available in many bookshops and quite possibly big discount stores across this wide brown land.

https://www.harperco...of-formula-one/

Stephen

#8978 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,817 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:59

“In this first ever book-length biography of Jack Brabham ... ”

:confused: :confused:

#8979 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,119 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 16:19

Has anyone heard when the Michael Lynch/Luigi Chinetti, Jr., book on Luigi, Sr., and NART will be published? I've heard conflicting reports on how close to completion it was when Lynch died.

Anybody?:wave:

Advertisement

#8980 group7

group7

• 490 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 17:26

Tim, I have a copy of "When The Flag Drops, The Life Of A Three Time Grand Prix Winner"  first American edition, 1972, autobiography, by Jack Brabham with Elizabeth Hayward, runs 240 pages. I managed to have it signed by Brabham  :up:  at an event in America a number of years ago.

The new book sounds promising.

Michael, in Canada

Edited by group7, 24 July 2019 - 17:35.

#8981 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,817 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 17:46

Yes indeed Michael. Like quite a few others here, I believe, I have this excellent work:

9781862056510-uk.jpg

which runs to 253 large-format pages. I’m not sure who the publishers of this latest biography think they’re kidding.  ;) :lol:

#8982 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 18:15

Well, in the surreal, hair-splitting and specious world of publishing blurb writing it's just about correct. When the Flag Drops and The Jack Brabham Story are (technically) autobiographies, whereas this is billed as the 'first ever book-length biography'.

#8983 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,817 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 18:31

But shirley all autobiographies count as biographies, don’t they?  ;)

#8984 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,336 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:59

Just procured today. It isn't chock full of photos or glossy paper like the DCN tome from 15 or 16 years ago. All photos are on just 8 pages.

Here's an explanation from it. plus mention of a couple of TNF members.

RRP is just under Aus$40, however large discount store Big W stock is $25

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stephen

#8985 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,740 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 17:34

But shirley all autobiographies count as biographies, don’t they?  ;)

Yes, but don't call me Shirley!

#8986 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,867 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:51

Keep 'em peeled.  Peter Grimsdale's High Performance, which got some nice reviews recently, is available in some The Workses for an ill cephalopod.

#8987 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,942 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:15

Keep 'em peeled.  Peter Grimsdale's High Performance, which got some nice reviews recently, is available in some The Workses for an ill cephalopod.

'Tis also available at that price on Amazon.

The Works' website has it too - they even now have click and collect so you can check stock and reserve at your local store.

#8988 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:21

News on my book , which will be published next year by Veloce. The final title is DRIVEN : an Elegy to Cars , Roads & Motorsport . 

It is partly motoring/motor sport biography ( covering everything from 60s hillclimbs to Nascar to F1 (ancient and  modern) and Ferrari ) and partly a detailed account of my 2017 season in UK motorsport . But it's not about runners and riders, results ,  fastest laps etc but it is about people , places and machinery. I cover everything from drag racing and Autograss , via VSCC trials and RAC speed hillclimbs to circuit stuff  (BTCC to HSCC - and even the weird world of Time Attack).   Foreword by Simon Arron of this parish .

More  on Veloce.co.uk and also now listed on Amazon     

Right - the day draws nigh. The publication date is 2 August, and details are on Amazon; Kindle edition also available. Pleasingly , there are some healthy pre orders as (bizzarely )it is the 7th best selling book on NASCAR this morning , despite only one chapter even being about NASCAR .

Excited  :clap:         

#8989 Steve L

Steve L

• 366 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:46

Does anyone have the book about Salmson designer Emile Petit please?

A bit niche but I am tempted and would like to know if it is any good?

#8990 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,006 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:44

Right - the day draws nigh. The publication date is 2 August, and details are on Amazon; Kindle edition also available. Pleasingly , there are some healthy pre orders as (bizzarely )it is the 7th best selling book on NASCAR this morning , despite only one chapter even being about NASCAR .

Excited  :clap:         

Let us hope that advance orders for John's book aren't all from buyers who were expecting to get Kevin Eason's fairly recently published and enthusiastically reviewed book of the same name, though returned copies from disappointed buyers shouldn't affect JA's royalties.

More seriously John, well done and I'll look forward to reading it (I've already got the Kevin Eason original).

#8991 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:47

The title was actually Refuge of the Roads at first - and I stole it from the the Joni Mitchell song . I still use it for my website I set up to promote the book but Veloce required a change to something more SEO friendly (search engine optimisation , if you were wondering ) , hence Driven . That title has been used on many other books but if it helps to sell mine, then fine . I preferred the smartarse original , but you wouldn't necessarliy expect the title RoR to cover what it does.     

This means that unless your name is S King or JK Rowling you may be disadvantaging  yourself if you give the book an obscure title  - because almost nobody buys books from bookshops any more .

#8992 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,357 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:28

Gilles Villeneuve, His Untold Life from Berthierville to Zolder

Now this book (published in 2018) is a really nice read. I could not find anything about it at TNF, even when some members contributed in pictures. The concept is simple but brilliant at the same time: interview as many people (48) around Gilles and compile it to a proper book. And did he get a line up: many drivers who were in F1 at the time, mechanics, team managers, journalists and of course friends and his family. Few no longer with us.

Well it does shed new lights on many subjects of the man and his career. For instance how he reacted in the motor home after the Imola race. And also new light on what happened in the week between Imola and Zolder. It also gives more insight of what people really thought of him and brings him back to the man he was. Some very candid revelations and also some contradictions when reading the interviews. But a MUST for the fans of #27.

Also many unseen pictures, some from amateur photographers who just stood in the paddock/pit at the time. Some high quality, some less. But in all a book with a certain purity, made by an obvious fan of Gilles, today but also then. Károly (Carl) Méhes is a motor sport journalist today 

On the site of the publisher you can also find a preview

https://www.pitchpub...lles-villeneuve

This is the second edition. The first stems from 2014 with 44 interviews. 

#8993 stankoprowski

stankoprowski

• 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 23:27

For everybody that got choked up over the Gordon Murray book here's a coming book from editions-palmier.

Ultimate Works Porsche 956 - The Definitive History Porsche

Parution Septembre 2019

Ref. produit : PPI036

Code ISBN : 9781907085901

570.00€

Edited by stankoprowski, 21 August 2019 - 23:32.

#8994 proviz

proviz

• 539 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:43

It's a shame the specialist book business seems to be going this way. I can think of buying maybe three or for tomes for this kind of price - and, yes, I'm prepared to fork out whatever it takes for BRM Vol.4 - but they would have to deal with really outstanding subjects and be written by guaranteed authorities. Basically they would have to cover previously uncharted ground. It is impossible to think of yet another Porsche 917 work, for example, which would tempt me to order, if the price hikes above €100.

#8995 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:30

For everybody that got choked up over the Gordon Murray book here's a coming book from editions-palmier.

Ultimate Works Porsche 956 - The Definitive History Porsche

Parution Septembre 2019

Ref. produit : PPI036

Code ISBN : 9781907085901

570.00€

Well, being sold by Palmier, but actually published by Porter Press. Limited edition of 956 copies.

https://porterpress....orsche-956-book

Pre-publication price direct from Porter is still a substantial £450, but that's quite a lot less than Palmier are asking, which works out at a little over £520.