Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
8967 replies to this topic

#8951 PCC

PCC

• 825 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:15

I wasn’t crying outrage, but I hope I am entitled to say what I think.

Those 225 pounds to me look directed to those who can afford to buy his cars, rather than someone keen to study his ideas - if he has any, that is – or recollections.

On the latter point, that's entirely possible (apart from the gratuitous insinuation that Gordon Murray has no ideas). He, the writer and the publisher have every right to decide who their market is. We may think they made a poor decision, but they make the decision and they live with the consequences.

As for your being entitled to say what you want, obviously you are. Did anyone suggest otherwise? Or do you take any disagreement as an affront to that right? :confused:

Advertisement

#8952 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,066 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:40

£225 is way above what I would be prepared to pay - or any of my family would be prepared to pay for a Christmas or birthday gift.

#8953 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:50

This is a penetrating glimpse of the obvious, but we need to remember it.

Niche market books tend to be over-priced as a malign set of consequences applies. It's a small market, so you expect to sell rather few copies, so the unit price is high to cover production costs and that high price deters purchasers, so you sell fewer than expected and the price has to be even higher and so ad infinitum.

#8954 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,938 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:25

According to the listing on Amazon, Skeens is not the ghostwriter - he's the writer. It's a biography, not an autobiography. Publishers sign contacts with books' authors, not their subjects. If the publisher and author want to secure a subject's cooperation, then remuneration may be required, but as I said, it's not a given.

Yes, well I did say "for want of a better term" didn't I? I know that Nick Skeens wasn't a "ghostwriter" in the dictionary definition of the word, he has his name on the front of the book, but it's undeniable that without huge input and co-operation from John Barnard, the work wouldn't exist. I'll say again, Nick Skeens has done an excellent job, The Perfect Car is a commendable piece of work, well written and a very informative and enjoyable read, but the inescapable fact is that without massive input from John Barnard, it couldn't exist. I agree that "ghostwriter" isn't the correct term, but can you suggest a more appropriate one, maybe co-writer? In effect it's John Barnard's book, expertly compiled and written by Nick Skeels, who freely admits that he knew almost nothing about the subject before he approached John with his proposal. Given the magnitude of the task, as well as being a fine writer, he's clearly also very brave.

#8955 PCC

PCC

• 825 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:08

Yes, well I did say "for want of a better term" didn't I? I know that Nick Skeens wasn't a "ghostwriter" in the dictionary definition of the word, he has his name on the front of the book, but it's undeniable that without huge input and co-operation from John Barnard, the work wouldn't exist. I'll say again, Nick Skeens has done an excellent job, The Perfect Car is a commendable piece of work, well written and a very informative and enjoyable read, but the inescapable fact is that without massive input from John Barnard, it couldn't exist. I agree that "ghostwriter" isn't the correct term, but can you suggest a more appropriate one, maybe co-writer? In effect it's John Barnard's book, expertly compiled and written by Nick Skeels, who freely admits that he knew almost nothing about the subject before he approached John with his proposal. Given the magnitude of the task, as well as being a fine writer, he's clearly also very brave.

Thanks a lot - the last thing I need is yet another book that I no longer have shelf space for - and now you've made me want one!

Actually, from what you say, Skeens is fully deserving of being called the author, period (which is what he's called on the publisher's website). Lots of books couldn't be written without the subject's cooperation, but the guy who punches the keys and grinds out the words is the sole author. It's a tough and exacting craft, and apparently Mr. Skeens has nailed it.

#8956 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 94 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 23:18

It is an authorised biography.  Therefore Skeens is the author but the book was clearly written with the full co-operation of the subject (John Barnard).  Please don't use the term "ghostwriter" (notwithstanding your caveat) because that implies something entirely different (and something I hate) whereby you really don't know how much input the supposed writer has actually had into the thing at all.  For the same reason I used to detest the "driver" columns in Autosport and the like which almost never told you anything you couldn't have written yourself anyway.  I forget now which driver it was (Nelson Piquet?) who supposedly agreed to a column but then basically left his ghostwriter to make it all up.  Anyway, Skeens fully deserves to be titled the author because, as well as the considerable input from Barnard, there is a great deal from many others that Skeens interviewed and getting Barnard and Dennis together at the end of the book is surely very much down to Skeens too.

Separately, back on the subject of the Gordon Murray book, I'm sure he and his publishers have chosen the option they believe will best allow them to tell the story they want to tell and to do that (with the quantity of illustrations etc.) for a niche subject, as Allan quite rightly says above, necessitates an unfortunately high price.  Unfortunate, at least as far as potential purchasers are concerned.  Whether the quality of the result is deserving of it only time will tell.  

#8957 john aston

john aston

• 1,658 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:07

The ghostwritten racing driver column is  a tradition going back a long way - didn't Eoin Young do Bruce McLaren's,  then Denny Hulme's and Jody Scheckter's 'diaries' in Autosport ?

Raikkonen's would be an  easy enough gig - here's  Kimi's  apercu into Chinese GP -

Easy isn't it ?

#8958 Steve L

Steve L

• 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:55

Corks!

https://www.veloceto...ck-book-review/

Why are there so many great books coming out and I have so little money for them?!

Edited by Steve L, 16 April 2019 - 15:56.

#8959 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,411 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:35

I see Amazon are listing a new edition of Hugh Tours' biography of Parry Thomas, which includes a further chapter on the restoration of Babs. They claim it will be published by Pen & Sword at the end of July - it isn't at present listed on Pen & Sword's website, so presumably it's delayed ...

Advertisement

#8960 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,411 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:12

Amazon are currently offering Reid Railton - Man of Speed at well below half price. Still not 'cheap' at £62.32 - but definitely a bargain at that price.

Having just ordered this - as well as Alessandro Silva's magnum opus Back on Track - I reckon that's my reading for the next few months sorted!

#8961 Jhdrussell

Jhdrussell

• 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 14:14

For the (few?) people who are interested, the esteemed Formula One Register, lead nowadays by Richard Page, have recently published an updated "Black Book' covering the British Hillclimb Championship from 1947 to 2000.

The original edition was published back in the mid 1990s and this edition, which runs to over 400 pages, contains a wealth of new information.

Richard has been helped in this mammoth endeavour by Jerry Sturman, and acknowledgement is also given, amongst others, to Steve Wilkinson and Marcus Pye.

The volume is priced at £75 plus P&P.

There is also a companion volume covering 2001 to 2018, and the two volumes may be purchased together for £125 plus P&P.

See http://www.formulaon...illclimb-vol-1/ for more details.

#8962 VWV

VWV

• 290 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 00:56

A new Pete Lyons book on the Lotus 72  https://www.petelyons.com/p/lotus-72

#8963 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,760 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:48

I've had e.mails the past few days about some Australian books just released...

0519oranparkbook.jpg

Neville Beyer began as a minor official at Oran Park and went on to be intrinsically linked to the circuit and its organisation. He also raced at times, so he knew what was going on and had all the contacts to make doing this book viable.

Dave Clement phoned me this morning to tell me it's a fascinating book, about 290 pages and full of interesting information and photos.

Meanwhile, Terry Cornelius has decided it's time to tell his own story about his (mostly speedway) racing. I haven't seen this book either, but I know Terry tells a good yarn and he's been at it for many decades. This one is $30 and that includes postage within Australia.

0519terrycorneliusbook.jpg

#8964 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:33

Did anyone of you see or buy the Peter Nygaard book "Formel 1". A tome of 7 kg and 750 pages. Graham Gauld was very positive on this even if it in Danish.

A great addition for 58 euros?

#8965 LordAston

LordAston

• 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:08

A book I'd love to see but do not think it will ever see the light of day would be a book on Roland Ratzenberger in English -  I think Adam Cooper would be a good candidate to write it IMO as he did such a s good job on Piers Courage.

#8966 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:22

Just a heads up that Amazon (in the UK at least) are selling the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions of Autocourse at heavily discounted rates of between £5-7.

#8967 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:59

Back on the previous page of this thread I posted details (post 8917) of Vintage Bentleys in Australia.

Bringing things up to date is that copies can now be found at Chaters and Hortons in the UK. In the USA they can be found at Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank, California and Australia they are at Pitstop in Sydney and MotorBookWorld in Melbourne.

You are also welcome to contact one of the authors direct at

treasurerATvintagebentley.org

The other great news for this collaborative effort from Clare Hay, Bob Watson, Phillip Schudmak & Tony Johns is that in the current (June 2019 issue 192) Octane magazine their book has received the Book of the month status. Airmail copies of the June Octane are available in Australian newsagents today.

2019-Vintage-Bentleys-Octane.jpg

Stephen

#8968 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,815 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:54

For the (few?) people who are interested, the esteemed Formula One Register, lead nowadays by Richard Page, have recently published an updated "Black Book' covering the British Hillclimb Championship from 1947 to 2000.
The original edition was published back in the mid 1990s and this edition, which runs to over 400 pages, contains a wealth of new information.
Richard has been helped in this mammoth endeavour by Jerry Sturman, and acknowledgement is also given, amongst others, to Steve Wilkinson and Marcus Pye.
The volume is priced at £75 plus P&P.

There is also a companion volume covering 2001 to 2018, and the two volumes may be purchased together for £125 plus P&P.

See http://www.formulaon...illclimb-vol-1/ for more details.

My copy arrived today and I endorse everything written above. Richard Page deserves huge credit for carrying on the tradition and quality started by Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati. The second editions of the various F1R books are an advance on the originals, incorporating much research done in recent years.

Edited by Roger Clark, 16 May 2019 - 05:55.