Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
9087 replies to this topic

#9051 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,182 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 13:52

Perhaps they might instead be tempted by some of the other magnificent works penned by Mr Tibballs:
https://www.watersto...f-tibballs/4627

He’s quite prolific!

Advertisement

#9052 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,141 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 20:05

On previous evidence, I think D-Type is probably seeking to direct well-meaning but ill-informed relatives on where to buy his Christmas present(s), in order to avoid the embarrassment of receiving yet another copy of Motor Racing's Strangest Races by Geoff Tibballs.  ;)

Spot on

#9053 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,169 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:26

Hi Colleagues,

As mentioned earlier I’ve totally updated and overhauled Porsche - Excellence Was Expected, bringing the Porsche story right up to the just-launched Taycan. Bentley Publishers are offering a $50.00 discount and free shipping in continental USA. If you order between now and Sept 17, you would get a free promo poster if you live in continental USA.

You just have to mention code EX-19-KEL.

Something to consider perhaps and all my very best,

Karl:

Your new edition is very favorably reviewed by yrs trly in the latest Automobilia magazine issue. It's also available at www.toadhallmotorbooks.com at a fair price. Incidentally, Toad Hall is down from its original 2009 inventory of 6,000 used and out-of-print books to a mere 800 or so, still including some very uncommon titles.

Frank

#9054 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:44

Karl:

Your new edition is very favorably reviewed by yrs trly in the latest Automobilia magazine issue. It's also available at www.toadhallmotorbooks.com at a fair price. Incidentally, Toad Hall is down from its original 2009 inventory of 6,000 used and out-of-print books to a mere 800 or so, still including some very uncommon titles.

Frank

I'm still recovering from Hernia surgery after receiving my 3 volume set a number of years ago...

Ron

#9055 rudi

rudi

• 279 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:45

00boll-e.jpg

A new book for the Maserati fans. And a long avaited one.

436 pages, a photo of each car raced in a Manufacturer Championship race, also the DNS, a lot of never before published images, 40 pages with tables showing results by years, races, car types, chassis, drivers...

As all the Michel Bollée books, this is the definitive book on the subject, all in English (there is a booklet in French) and with a high quality printing and photo reproduction, an art book.

#9056 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,182 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 00:18

What books did we receive (or give ourselves) for Christmas?

#9057 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,460 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:58

Niki Lauda : His Competition History by Jon Saltinstall   :wave:  :clap:  :wave:

The Perfect Car : The story of John Barnard by Nick Skeens & John Barnard

How to Build a Car : by Adrian Newey

...and of course Autocourse Annual

#9058 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 569 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:24

John, George and the HWMs by Simon Taylor

The Self Preservation Society by Matthew Field

Bugatti Type 50 by Mark Morris and Julius Kruta

The Life / Monaco Grand Prix by Stuart Codling

and for something different

Spitfire Mark I/II Aces by Dr Alfred Price

So - a really good Christmas !! :wave:

#9059 blackmme

blackmme

• 763 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 17:37

Niki Lauda : His Competition History by Jon Saltinstall :wave: :clap: :wave:

The Perfect Car : The story of John Barnard by Nick Skeens & John Barnard

How to Build a Car : by Adrian Newey

...and of course Autocourse Annual

Now that is some great reading!
The Barnard / Newey books make an excellent pairing.

As for Autocourse it is easy to take for granted, but even a cursory post dinner flick through allows the quality to just ooze out.
I do though take issue with their #4 in this years Top Ten certainly the drivers in #5 and #6 should be above him!

Regards Miike

Advertisement

#9060 nexfast

nexfast

• 605 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:12

Maserati in the World sports car & manufacturers championships from 1953 to 1966

Grands Prix du Roussillon

Ronde Cévenole 1967-1979

(still waiting delivery)

Plus the Niki Lauda book by Jon Saltinstall.

#9061 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 18:19

If you put X-mas, Easter & your birthday all together you can buy: Sharknose //V6 by Födisch/Rossbach from McKlein Publishing / 125€.

My book of the year, almost all pics are from the archive of Bernard Cahier, 432 pages, 4 kg.

A treasure if you are interested in the early sixties and the neverending myth of the Scuderia Ferrari. 

And a visual completion to Ed McDonough/ Ferrari 156 Sharknose / Sutton Publishing Limited 2001 

Andreas

#9062 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 314 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 15:59

"Jim Clark: The Best of the Best" by David Tremayne. Stunning work.

#9063 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,804 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 21:45

"Jim Clark: The Best of the Best" by David Tremayne. Stunning work.

I'm reading an earlier David Tremayne book about Donald Campbell, courtesy of Santa.

#9064 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 314 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:07

I'm reading an earlier David Tremayne book about Donald Campbell, courtesy of Santa.

I would also strongly recommend David's superb biography of Jochen Rindt, and also the outstanding "The Lost Generation" - his triple biography of Roger Williamson Tom Pryce and Tony Brise that has been discussed earlier in this thread - which is one of the most moving and thought-provoking motorsport books I've ever read.

#9065 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,632 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 17:13

My present to myself predated Christmas, as I'm an atheist and voted for Herod. It was, of course, 'Niki Lauda: His Competition History.'

Next Christmas I should like a good book on Maserati's racing history. Not looking for a lavish tome aimed at the super-rich, but a decently priced, well written book which gives insight and has been properly researched. I don't think such a book exists. I have Anthony Pritchard's 'Maserati: A History' which is rather lacklustre, a bit of a pot-boiler. Does anyone know of such a book?

If not, as so many of you are authors and historians, please could you write one.

#9066 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,537 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 17:25

My present to myself predated Christmas, as I'm an atheist and voted for Herod. It was, of course, 'Niki Lauda: His Competition History.'

Next Christmas I should like a good book on Maserati's racing history. Not looking for a lavish tome aimed at the super-rich, but a decently priced, well written book which gives insight and has been properly researched. I don't think such a book exists. I have Anthony Pritchard's 'Maserati: A History' which is rather lacklustre, a bit of a pot-boiler. Does anyone know of such a book?

If not, as so many of you are authors and historians, please could you write one.

Pritchard's later 'Maserati: A Racing History' (Haynes 2003, ISBN 9781859608715) is better than his first effort. Out of print, but second-hand copies are available for about £50.

#9067 pilota

pilota

• 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 18:09

Just received Tony  Adriaensens's new tome - Weekend Heroes 2.

More than 1500pgs in 3 volumes.  I've only had time to browse each book.

What a tour de force! Magnificent!  I love the fact that nearly all the photos are full-page size. They are incredible. It's so nice to see something different than the usual European/World Championship photos, especially from the 1950s. They really do capture a different world than we know today. I look forward to many many hours of enjoyment.
Nathan

#9068 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 223 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 18:35

I don't think such a book exists. I have Anthony Pritchard's 'Maserati: A History' which is rather lacklustre, a bit of a pot-boiler. Does anyone know of such a book?

It does not indeed. All that there is tends to be quite pricey. I've never read that Pritchard book but there's Orsini and Zagari's classic two-tome history of Maserati, essentially a racing and racing cars history. In Italian it's a must have and the basis of it all after the first Severo Boschi effort, and predating the Bollée books. After a two year search I've just completed the set after finally finding the first volume on the pre-war times at an affordable price. The two books were published in English, in a single volume, but from what I remember with a dodgy (as in literal and hence incomprehensible) translation.

Then there's the recent Maserati The Family Silver by Nigel Trow, which I've not read (the wallet is still recovering from the Orsini's and some other self-gifts and will be for a long time). It purports to cover the whole history of the marque but I seem to remember from the reviews and maybe some comments at Fchat that it's primary focus is racing and Maser's 'heroic' times.

http://maseratifamil...com/reviews.php

Finally, a merely introductory alternative would be the Cancelleri and Dal Monte book on the Maserati Centennary; Cancelleri wrote the chapter on racing. 

Edited by guiporsche, 31 December 2019 - 18:38.

#9069 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,380 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:43

In my short dash to Italy last week, I bought Luca Dal Monte's last book, "La congiura degli innocenti", about the fraught collaboration between Alfa Romeo and Brabham in F1 in the late Seventies. Based on interviews with the main people - Ecclestone in particular, Murray etc -  and documentation from the archivio storico of Alfa Romeo. Left it in Italy as I don't have the time to read it now, I will eventually, as a summer reading.

Got several books from Milan's Libreria dell'Automobile. About Elio De Angelis, Bernard Boyer, Mauro Pregliasco, Ignazio Giunti, Sandro Munari (copy signed by il Drago...), Argetsinger's Donohue Technical Excellence, a thick Italian biography of Caracciola, Tino Brambilla, an engrossing book of rally stories by former Autosprint editor Carlo Cavicchi ("Destra 3 lunga chiude: when rallies had a soul"), a little book on Nuvolari's famous win at the Ring in 1935, a couple of books with portraits of drivers written by an Italian poster on TNF, and a book on motorcycle design.

#9070 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 14:38

a thick Italian biography of Caracciola

Title please.

Thanks,

Ron

#9071 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,380 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:32

https://www.libreria...ta-per-le-corse

#9072 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 223 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:56

In my short dash to Italy last week, I bought Luca Dal Monte's last book, "La congiura degli innocenti", about the fraught collaboration between Alfa Romeo and Brabham in F1 in the late Seventies. Based on interviews with the main people - Ecclestone in particular, Murray etc -  and documentation from the archivio storico of Alfa Romeo. Left it in Italy as I don't have the time to read it now, I will eventually, as a summer reading.

Bought it as well for Christmas, about 50 pages read so far and have given a quick look at other chapters as well. My first impressions are good, mainly thanks indeed to the use of the juicy Arese archives. The only disappointment so far, even if it was not Dal Monte's object of study, was the single page on the, pre-Eurobrun Euroracing, Alfa F1 effort. One would think that the less positive aspects related to Chiti's leadership would affect Alfa's performance as well in ensuing years. Which leads to my question: have you read Autodelta l'Ala Veloce and if yes would you recommend it? I postponed buying it as I could never get a glimpse of at least a few pages of one of the chapters (buying books sight unseen is usually a no go for me).

Is it a 'and then they went to Monza' kind of book or does it actually tries to offer an analytical perspective, particularly on the later Autodelta years? Thanks in advance.

Edited by guiporsche, 02 January 2020 - 20:01.

#9073 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,380 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 19:45

Yes, I do have Autodelta l'Ala Veloce written by the Colombo brothers (I presume they are), brought it from the shelf now. I haven't read it yet, so can't give a detailed opinion. It is written with the collaboration of Chiti's children Olga and Arturo, plus the help of drivers (De Adamich, Giacomelli, Merzario, Nanni Galli etc), Forghieri, Marelli, Manfredini and many others. It's a thick book, more than 600 pages, and I like Fucina editions' books, they are well made. There is a year-by-year sort of narrative which in places seems a bit tired, and I am not sure whether it offers a serious critical perspective, but it is so thick and packed of info that surely there are worst ways to throw away 33 euros. It will make a good back-to-back reading with Dal Monte's.

On the industrial side, Italo Rosa's Alfa Romeo La Tela di Penelope, Fucina editions too, although quite heavy going to read and not impartial as the author was an Alfa Romeo manager, gives an insight into Alfa's industrial story until the sale to Fiat, which mirrors the fate of many other industrial and economic sectors in Italy.

#9074 nexfast

nexfast

• 605 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 13:50

00boll-e.jpg

A new book for the Maserati fans. And a long avaited one.

436 pages, a photo of each car raced in a Manufacturer Championship race, also the DNS, a lot of never before published images, 40 pages with tables showing results by years, races, car types, chassis, drivers...

As all the Michel Bollée books, this is the definitive book on the subject, all in English (there is a booklet in French) and with a high quality printing and photo reproduction, an art 

Just finished reading it. It is an extraordinary photo catalogue of every Maserati entered for the endurance championships between 53 and 66. It is a must for those who are concerned about chassis numbers and would like to see photos  (many in colour) of different iterations of  each car. Some of the photos I believe were never shown before and I must confess some of the Maserati drivers were total strangers to me (the likes of Bellini, Maccarini, Causey or Pisano, for instance). Captions are informative, in particular about the more obscure italian and french drivers but in my view not as entertaining as the ones in the books by Paul Parker. A few typos also saw their way in (Guttierez instead of Gutierrez, Piris instead of Pires) but all in all not very significant and they do not harm the quality of the book.  I don't think that is the definitive opus about Maserati, very little is actually said about the company and those who were working there, but it is a book I undoubtedly enjoyed and can commend. Having in mind the quality of the pictures (and useful tables at the end) is a reference book with a claim to a permanent place in any enthusiast's shelf. At 175 € (less than 150 pounds) is not expensive when you consider all the images and the high production values.

Edited by nexfast, 02 January 2020 - 14:00.

#9075 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,141 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 13:49

Santa's sack was almost empty and all I got was Formula 1 Circuits from above (I think found in a discount bookstore) - Google maps plus a brief write up on the circuit and significant events by Bruce Jones.  OK as far as it goes and, being written by Bruce Jones, there are no absolute howlers..  At least I didn't get another copy of Motor Racing's Strangest Races
As Santa also provided some Christmas money, can anyone suggest any affordable books I can spend it on?

#9076 blackmme

blackmme

• 763 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 14:05

As Santa also provided some Christmas money, can anyone suggest any affordable books I can spend it on?

I’m not sure how well regarded they are by my far more learned fellow forum members but the Works (discount bookstore) has a good line of the Haynes Enthusiast Manuals for either £5 or £7 including the books covering the Brabham BT52, Ford GT40, Williams FW14B and Lotus 49.
I think they are absolutely terrific books (the series does vary in quality but I have all of the above and I think they are excellent).

The Works has a Click and Collect service as well.

Regards Mike

#9077 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,804 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 14:35

Santa's sack was almost empty and all I got was Formula 1 Circuits from above (I think found in a discount bookstore) - Google maps plus a brief write up on the circuit and significant events by Bruce Jones.  OK as far as it goes and, being written by Bruce Jones, there are no absolute howlers.

I think it may have been a discount book for a while -- my copy was received in 2018. It is a useful and interesting book to have around. I learned how the maligned contemporary F1 track at Hungaroring can cheaply be improved by widening the track before the apex to two corners. In my edition, there are a couple of occasions when the layup artist loses the end of 

the sentence.

Books for less than £50: Newey, Redman, Barnard for readable biogs. Peter Higham's words and photo books about F1 cars from Evro? The Works offer the Haynes "manual" for the Maserati 250F at less than a tenner. If you don't own a book about the 250F, it's a surprisingly good starting point.

#9078 68targa

68targa

• 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 16:15

Santa's sack was almost empty and all I got was Formula 1 Circuits from above (I think found in a discount bookstore) - Google maps plus a brief write up on the circuit and significant events by Bruce Jones. OK as far as it goes and, being written by Bruce Jones, there are no absolute howlers.. At least I didn't get another copy of Motor Racing's Strangest Races

Try Tales from the Toolbox by Michael OIiver. Not a new title, first published in 2009 and reprinted in 2013 but a cracking read for not much money. Behind the scenes stories of racing mechanics. Some very funny and scary trips abroad (Karlskoga to Enna in 6 days before any autoroutes in an old Commer van). Several secondhand copies are around for about £15 or less.

#9079 karlcars

karlcars

• 636 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 17:57

Hello Gang,

Looks like Santa didn't have Reid Railton -- Man of Speed on his list for fans of epic racing and record breaking.

I'm obliged to mention that in February this book will receive its SIXTH major award for excellence. There must be something good going on there!

Advertisement

#9080 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 314 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 13:42

Hello Gang,

Looks like Santa didn't have Reid Railton -- Man of Speed on his list for fans of epic racing and record breaking.

I'm obliged to mention that in February this book will receive its SIXTH major award for excellence. There must be something good going on there!

I think two volumes was just a little too heavy for Santa to lug around, Karl - otherwise I'm certain he would have delivered many copies of your masterful work. At least, that's the conclusion I've reached  :drunk: .

#9081 karlcars

karlcars

• 636 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 16:32

Interesting theory, Jon.

However it hasn't kept Santa from lugging four volumes of my new Porsche history to lots of happy recipients.

#9082 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 16:58

Since Santa (or the German equivalent, the Christkind) is quite good to me bookwise I already got the Railton book(s) Christmas 2018 ! :clap:

#9083 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 314 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 17:00

Hopefully his elves, who work for the many other retailers (both online and otherwise!) will be busy transporting copies of both the Railton and Porsche books to their eagerly-awaiting recipients for many a month to come, Karl.

Clearly none of my relatives read my Christmas list, as neither has arrived with me yet! Ah well....

#9084 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,526 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 21:26

I am indeed doing the speedreaders review of Gordon Murray's book. I just need a spare week  to read it and to do it justice.

Delighted with the speedreaders review of my own effort  which was posted today

Just finished your book John, it having been on my Xmas list. Thoroughly enjoyed it though not sure I agree with your views on Glam Rock ( a lot of rubbish granted but Slade & Sweet were great bands ) and football ( mind you soon as I saw mention of Millwall …….. )   

#9085 john aston

john aston

• 1,801 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:40

Karl Ludvigsen's Fast Friends  - a bargain price gem . Profiles of some of the good and great by the car guy's car guy. Not confined to the sport - and I think all the better for it. My full review is  on speedreaders. info  

#9086 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,178 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 17:17

I think it may have been a discount book for a while -- my copy was received in 2018. It is a useful and interesting book to have around. I learned how the maligned contemporary F1 track at Hungaroring can cheaply be improved by widening the track before the apex to two corners. In my edition, there are a couple of occasions when the layup artist loses the end of 

the sentence.

Books for less than £50: Newey, Redman, Barnard for readable biogs. Peter Higham's words and photo books about F1 cars from Evro? The Works offer the Haynes "manual" for the Maserati 250F at less than a tenner. If you don't own a book about the 250F, it's a surprisingly good starting point.

The best Maserati 250F book is surely the late David McKinney's tome from 2003 which featured just about everything and anything apertaining to 250Fs with contributions from Barrie Hobkirk, Ted Walker, Jim Barclay and Doug Nye, a masterpiece.

It was published by Crowood Press in 2003 and cost £19.95 but David told me in period that it did not sell enough, a crying shame, I wonder what it would fetch now?

#9087 Tom V

Tom V

• 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 19:11

The best Maserati 250F book is surely the late David McKinney's tome from 2003 which featured just about everything and anything apertaining to 250Fs with contributions from Barrie Hobkirk, Ted Walker, Jim Barclay and Doug Nye, a masterpiece.

It was published by Crowood Press in 2003 and cost £19.95 but David told me in period that it did not sell enough, a crying shame, I wonder what it would fetch now?

I bought a copy at a Classic car show last year for 40 euros.

#9088 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,537 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 20:19

I bought a copy at a Classic car show last year for 40 euros.

About the going rate. Cheapest on ABE at the moment is £29.95 including UK postage. But very few available, mostly outside the UK.