Photo

Speed's ultimate price: the toll...

• Please log in to reply
3510 replies to this topic

#3301 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 15:11

Just saw the news, very sad.  Do we know whether the project is still ongoing?

That was one of the first things to cross my mind.

I really hope so, but they were shoestring so I doubt it.

Very sorry to read that, Brian.

Advertisement

#3302 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,782 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 17:12

Anthoine Hubert has died in a crash at Spa during the F2 support race for the Belgian GP:

https://www.bbc.co.u...rsport/49537761

#3303 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 17:55

Oh, No, what a terrible event.  :cry:

#3304 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 17:57

I stumbled into footage of that F2 accident a little earlier - not realising what I was going to be watching (I'm not sure the outcome was known at the time it was posted).

A shocking impact, that put me in mind of Zanardi's accident at Lauritzring...

A tragic end to a young life - and what appeared to be quite a promising career in the making.

Edited by 2F-001, 31 August 2019 - 17:57.

#3305 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 18:11

RIP Antoine, like the poster above I saw the footage on social media posted by someone I follow, could have been Felipe Massa and regretted it instantly. I hate the lack of editing and the rawness of social media.

#3306 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 18:15

I, too made the mistake of watching it.

It never gets easier, and days like this I almost hate racing.

Edit: … weeks like this...

Edited by E1pix, 31 August 2019 - 18:23.

#3307 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 18:35

Poor lad never stood a chance. It's quite astonishing that Correa is still alive. Godspeed to a super talent who surely would've been in Formula one in 2021 or 2022 considering his career prior to today's tragedy

#3308 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 21:56

I, too made the mistake of watching it.

It never gets easier, and days like this I almost hate racing.

Edit: … weeks like this...

I'm glad not to have seen it, and I never want to either.

#3309 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 22:45

RIP Anthoine

#3310 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 23:11

Please don't forget Chris Swallow who died a week ago during the IOM classic meeting. There's  nice picture to be found online of him and his dad Bill chatting with Maria Costello a day or so beforehand.  A little research shows him to have been a keen peaks runner in NZ amongst other things. As they say, a life well lived  :up:

Edited by LittleChris, 31 August 2019 - 23:13.

#3311 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 694 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:30

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned here and happened a couple of months ago, Irish rally driver Manus Kelly was killed in an accident on the Donegal Rally on 23 June 2019, which he had previously won in 2016, 2017 and 2018. He was driving a Hyundai i20 R5 and crashed through a stone wall.

Edited by GeoffR, 01 September 2019 - 08:46.

#3312 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:35

As has been said, a sad week.

#3313 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:43

From a "National Speed Sport News" clipping (issue unknown), one George A. Buell suffered a fatal accident at Readville, one-mile dirt oval located near Hyde Park in Boston, Massachusetts, presumably in 1926. No dates, no details.

Any information? :confused:  

#3314 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,782 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:56

1926 looks correct. Appears to be George Arthur Buell. born Natick, Mass Oct 9th 1893. Profession chauffeur according to his WW1 draft record, mechanic in Framingham, Mass according to a 1926 directory. Can't find an exact date of death, but he is listed in the Massachusetts Death Records Index.

Will look again later today ... things to do!

#3315 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 23:16

Motorcycle fatality on the Dakar - Paulo Goncalves crashed on the 12th January 2020. https://www.autospor...ies-after-crash

#3316 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:25

https://www.dakar.co...sed-away/167011

January 24 th 2020 - 12:10 [GMT + 3]

This morning, the Dakar Organisation were informed by his family that Dutch biker Edwin Straver, who crashed 124 km into the timed sector timed special of stage 11 (SHUBAYTAH–HARADH) on Thursday, 16th January 2020, has died as a result of his injuries. 

#3317 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:13

Another "controversial case" found by the Motorsport Memorial researchers. 

German driver Michael Rader lost his life in the early stages of the 12 Hours of the Nürburgring ("ADAC-12-Stunden-Rennen für Tourenwagen") held on the Nordschleife on Sunday, 14 July 1963, when the Alfa Romeo Giulietta TI which he shared with Hans Bergmann, crashed in the "Schwedenkreuz" area.

http://www.motorspor...hp?db=ct&n=1316

Another German driver by the same surname, Fritz Rader was competing in the 1963 12 Hours of the Nürburgring. It has not yet been clarified whether the two drivers were related.

Fritz Rader shared with Hans Bohlmeier an Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint which was involved in a horrific accident, overturning at the Pflanzgarten almost in the same place of Peter Collins' fatal accident in 1958. The driver miraculously escaped serious injuries. Although it is not confirmed who of them was at the wheel of the car, the most likely conclusion based on the available sources is that Hans Bohlmeier was driving at the moment of the accident.

Our Burkhard Koehr's website indicate that the Alfa 2600's accident occurred during the 6 Hours of the Nuerburgring, almost one month BEFORE the 12-hour race.

http://www.pro-steil...e_1955_1964.php

but the car was again in the 12-hour race

http://www.pro-steil...rennen_1963.php

Our Frank de Jong's website shows the two Raders competing in the 12 Hours race on 14/07/1963 (although both of them are named Michael):

http://touringcarrac...ring 12hrs.html

and shows that the Alfa Romeo 2600 of Hans Bohlmeier (partnered with the Italian Corrado Ferlaino, future President of Napoli football club in which played Diego Maradona, instead of Fritz Rader) raced in the Grosser Preis der Tourenwagen “ADAC 6 -Stunden-Rennen” on 16/06/1963, being involved in an accident:

http://touringcarrac...urburgring.html

If this information is correct, it is very strange that the Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint which was completely destroyed in the crash:

http://www.the-fastl...hp?editid1=1131

was rebuilt in time for the subsequent 12 Hours, less than one month later, in which Corrado Ferlaino was replaced by Fritz Rader.

Surely we need contemporary newspapers or eyewitnesses report to solve the mystery.

#3318 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 13:33

Just a short note to say how happy I am that Signor Ferlaino contracted Diego Maradano instead of Fritz Rader - not sure how much of a football player Herr Rader was, but he's unlikely to have given so much pleasure to Napoli fans as "God's right hand" attached to the most inventive feet of mankind!

Sorry, couldn't resist... :blush:

#3319 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:58

A tragedy in fragments.
On May 6th, 2017, Rocky Nash, 61, crashed in a Pro Stock race at Siskiyou Motor Speedway in Oregon.

The first segment ended with a bad crash off the back stretch. Rocky Nash’s throttle stuck and he drove off the edge of the track in Turn 3. He was transported to the hospital with back injuries.

On June 1st, 2017, his death was reported.

The Pro Stock drivers will be racing with heavy hearts following the news of the passing of Rocky Nash. Their fellow competitor and NASCAR West veteran died following complications resulting from injuries sustained in his crash in the Billy Geyer Memorial a few weeks ago in Yreka.

His daughter confirmed his passing but without giving an exact date.
Unfortunately I did not find an obituary. I have his full name as Rocky Lee Nash but maybe Rocky wasn’t his real name.

Another deadly drama occurred recently in Portugal. On March 8th, 2020, on the Rampa Porca de Murça near Vila Real a hill climb competitor left the road killing at least two bystanders and hurting four more. Sources 1, 2.

Edited by ReWind, 22 March 2020 - 08:59.

Advertisement

#3320 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:28

Sorry to hear this.

Siskiyou Motor Speedway is in Yreka in northern California.

Vince H.

#3321 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 21:59

A tragedy in fragments.
On May 6th, 2017, Rocky Nash, 61, crashed in a Pro Stock race at Siskiyou Motor Speedway in Oregon.

On June 1st, 2017, his death was reported.

His daughter confirmed his passing but without giving an exact date.
Unfortunately I did not find an obituary. I have his full name as Rocky Lee Nash but maybe Rocky wasn’t his real name.

As Vince mentioned, Siskiyou Motor Speedway is in Yreka, California, in the northern part of the state.

I found a local obituary notice giving May 27, 2017 as date of death. Definitely some question about whether his injuries directly led to his death or not, or whether he had other health issues while hospitalized from his injuries.

#3322 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:07

Swiss sportscar driver Peter Kaiser at the wheel of his Porsche 356 crashed on Saturday, 31 July 1954, while practicing for the Rheinland-Pfalz Preis on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. 
Peter Kaiser eventually survived the accident. Instead the next day, the first local newspaper reports indicated that Peter Kaiser had died. This incorrect information was spread to other contemporary newspapers and press agencies all over the world, and thereafter the mistake propagated to many other accounts.
It was reported to be the second death in practice runs that same day at the Nürburgring, after the fatal accident of the Argentine Formula 1 star Onofre Marimón, in sight of the German and Europe grand Prix of the next day. 
On Monday, 02 August 1954, the Swiss press denied the news of Peter Kaiser's death, showing that he was recovering in a private clinic in Breitscheid, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany, where he had been transferred for treatment. After his accident, Peter Kaiser never raced again. In 1953 he finished 41st overall in the Mille Miglia road race, sharing his Porsche 356 with Heinz Schulthess. 
Another driver by the same name of Peter Kaiser was active since the early 1960s, competing in the World Sportscar Championship in a Porsche. He was a West Germany citizen and has not to be confused with the subject of this message.

#3323 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 18:44

Another obscure case: a Virginia motorcycle rider was killed at Summit Point Raceway, WV, during a practice run. Only a detail: the accident happened in the mid- 1990s, possibly in 1994.

Any clue?

#3324 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 17:30

Another obscure case: a Virginia motorcycle rider was killed at Summit Point Raceway, WV, during a practice run. Only a detail: the accident happened in the mid- 1990s, possibly in 1994.

Any clue?

I found some info on this, I'll send it to you and Jim Michels for entering into Motorsport Memorial.

#3325 Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

• 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:19

http://www.motorspor...hp?db=ct&n=5473

Article for Sod Saunders - says that death date was the 29th, but the event was on the 27th. Saunders died 45 minutes after arrival at hospital, as quoted in the text, so the event date should be the 29th as well.

"Sod Saunders"?  Can we revive the "Worst Drivers' Names" thread? It's on here somewhere...

I'd add Buzz Buzaglo & Thornton Mustard [both in same race @ Oulton, 70s]. But Sod is definitely a podium cert!

#3326 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 19:45

Fellows,

The most recent update to Motorsport Memorial was uploaded yesterday.

Thanks to Alberto Velez-Grilo, Gianni Dietrich, Hans Etzrodt (for his help regarding the events run at the Buchower Dreieck), Leomar Teichmann, Guido De Carli, Buford, Richie Jenkins, Milan Fistonic, Barry Lake, Jim Thurman, Marc Ceulemans, Rick Kelly and Hans-Hugo Boecker for the information provided (this is a complete list of acknowledgements).

The sources are listed under the complete tables at the index of tables.

These are the Additions
Thomas Barrett
Riding mechanic to Kenelm Lee Guinness, killed in an accident at the Gran Premio de San Sebástian in 28 September 1924. Barrett was English and the car was a Sunbeam. The accident happened near Aldeamuro, Spain, in the Lasarte open road course.

F. H. Wells
A very obscure fatality. Killed in a car race in New Work in 1925. Wells was registred to compete in the 1925 Indy 500 but perished before that race.

Jean Matthys
This Belgian driver died “a few days” after an accident at the Coupe George Boillot, raced in 30 August 1925 at the Boulogne track, in France. Matthys was driving a Bignan and the accident happened during the race.

Piroli (first name unknown)
Riding mechanic to Luigi Platè, killed in July 1926 (day not yet known) during practice for the 1926 Großen Preis von Deutschland in Avus when their Chiribiri crashed.

Three track officials
Three timekeeping officials – two students and a board painter – were killed in an accident during the 1926 Großen Preis von Deutschland in Avus (11 July 1926) when the Mercedes driver by Adolf Rosenberger crashed against their hut.

Klaus Reisch
An Austrian driver, Klaus Reisch was killed at the wheel of an Alfa Romeo 33/3 Sport during the 500 km di Monza, a race valid for the Interserie championship. Date of accident and of death: 12 September 1971
This accident seems surrounded by controversy, including reports that it would have been triggered by a bottle of Coca-Cola thrown in the track by a spectator.

Lee Bible
This amateur driver perished in 13 March 1929 attempting a land speed record in Daytona Beach with the Triplex, a monstrosity equipped with three aircraft engines.

Gérard de Courcelles
Killed in a violent crash during the Formula Libre race that supported the 1927 Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club the France in Monthléry. De Courcelles was at the wheel of a Guyot Spéciale; date of accident and of death: 03 July 1927.

Paul Marsha
Killed in 30 May 1929 in a crash at the Dixie Speedway in Norfolk, Virginia, United States.

Sam Swank
Killed in 1927 in an event at the Akron-Cleveland Speedway (then located in Northampton Township, and area that has since been incorporated to Akron, OH, United States). Sam Swank was from Norfolk, Virginia, United States.

Arthur Cain
Killed in 1927 in an event at the Vincennes Speedway, in Vincennes, Indiana, United States. Arthur Cain was from Saint Louis, MO, United States.

Tony Scudalari
(other spellings also reported; Scudalari is the most commonly seen in contemporary sources)
Very little is known about Scudalari, a riding mechanic killed with his driver – the famous David Bruce-Brown – in the Wauwatosa open road course nearby Milwaukee in 01 October 1912.

Ulysses Aubry and Frank Lake
Ulysses Aubry and his riding mechanic Frank Lake were killed in a gruesome crash in an event at the Rose City Speedway in Portland, Oregon, United States, in 23 July 1916.

Gregor Kuhn
A little-known fatality, Gregor Kuhn – an Austrian driver – was killed during a practice session for the 1922 Grande Premio d’Italia. Kuhn was driving an Austro-Daimler, and the team withdrawn from the race after his accident, that took place in Monza in September of 1922 (day of crash and of death still unknown).

Walter Donnelly
Walter Donnelly perished in an accident during a race at the Milwaukee Mile, part of a meeting of the Milwaukee Auto Dealers Association. Donnelly was driving a Cino and he crashed and died on 21 June 1911.

Giuseppe Giacchino
Giuseppe Giacchino, riding mechanic, perished when Guido Meregalli crashed his Diatto GP/305 in the first lap of the 1922 Coppa Florio, in 19 November 1922.

Ernst-Günther von Wentzel (plus his riding mechanic and a spectator)
BaronErnst-Günther von Wentzel, his riding mechanic and a spectator (the two latter with names still unknown) were killed in accident after von Wentzel crossed the finish line of the Steudel hillclimb in 29 April 1929. Apparently a cyclist crossed the road and von Wentzel had to swerve to avoid hitting him, upon what he lost control of his Mercedes and crashed. The riding mechanic and a spectator were killed immediately, and von Wentzel succumbed the following day.

Frances Quinn
Killed in an accident at the obscure Golden Gate Highway, a race track located north of Fresno, in 13 December 1931. Quinn was born in 22 March 1903 in an unknown location.

J. Alex (first name unknown)
Killed in a crash during an IMCA-sanctioned event at the Calgary Stampede track in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in 1917.

?. Honel (first name unknown)
This driver was killed in an accident during the II Trofeo Armangué, held in Armangona (Spain) in 21 October 1922. Honel was driving Salmson.

Huldreich Heusser and Otto Feldman
Huldreich Heusser and his riding mechanic Otto Feldman were killed when their Bugatti T35B crashed during a race at the Buckower Dreieck, near Buckow, Germany, in 29 August 1928. Feldman passed away instantly; Heusser, a Swiss living in Germany, lingered until the following day, when he died in a hospital in Müncheberg.

? Gerli and ? Tedeschi (first names unknown)
Gerli and his riding mechanic Tedeschi were killed in a crash during the 1922 Grande Prémio del Automóvil Club Argentino, an open road race from Buenos Aires to Rosario and then back to Buenos Aires.

Alexander Konshin
Also known by his pseudonym "A. N. K.", Konshin crashed his Open during the "First Russian Automobile Club Moscow 100 km" (unofficial race name) in Chashnikovo, near Moscow, in 22 September 1912 and died instantly. The race was run on public roads from Elenino to Klin and back to Elenino.

? Dieny (first name unknown) and riding mechanic (name unknown)
Dieny and his riding mechanic shared a Peugeot and were killed on 24 May 1914 during a speed race on Volkhonskoe Road near St. Petersburg, Russia.

These are the Editions
Fabio Danti
race: Caprino-Spiazzi (Monte Baldo)
track, circuit or stage: Caprino-Spiazzi (Monte Baldo)
event: hillclimb - race
place of death: Bazzeca di Spiazzi, Spiazzi, Italy
vehicle: Osella PA20S-BMW

Dario Resta
subtype of vehicle: sportscar
event: speed record
circuit variant: banked, outer, 1907-1939
number of injuries: 1
brand/model of vehicle: Sunbeam

Otto Feldman
grouped in same accident as Huldreich Heusser (Otto Feldman was Heusser's riding mechanic)
subtype of vehicle: Bugatti T35B
category: sportscar - non-chammpionship
nationality: Swiss
brand/model of vehicle: Bugatti T35B

Huldreich Heusser
date of death: 20 August 1928
place of death: Müncheberg, Germany
subtype of vehicle: Bugatti T35B
category: sportscar - non-chammpionship
nationality: Swiss
brand/model of vehicle: Bugatti T35B

António de Borges Barreto
full name corrected: António Joaquim de Borges Barreto

Marcel Renault
date of accident: 24 May 1903

Ernst "Titch" von Delius
place of birth: Plessa, Germany

Giordano "Nando" Aldrighetti
date of birth: ?? ??? 1905
brand/model of vehicle: Alfa Romeo 158

Jean Woelmont
name: Jean de Woelmont
full name: Baron Jean de Woelmont
track, circuit or stage: Spa
brand/model of vehicle: Sava

Stanislaus Czaykowski
nationality: Polish

Karl von Waldthausen
full name: Karl Horst von Waldthausen
brand/model of vehicle: Alfa Romeo 8C 2300

Guy Bouriat
nationality: French
brand/model of vehicle: Bugatti T51

Nino Crespi
race: II Grande Prêmio da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro
nationality: Brazilian

Irineu Correa
race: III Grande Prêmio da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro

Rudolf Heydel
date of accident: 04 February 1936
race: (private test)
event: private test
track, event or stage: Monza
circuit variant: unknown
nationality: German
date of death: 04 February 1936
brand/model of vehicle: Auto Union
role: driver

Pat Fairfield
vehicle number: 28

René Kippeurth
name: René "Rekip" Kippeurt (nickname "Rekip" added)
full name: rené Kippeurth
brand/model of vehicle: Bugatti T44
vehicle number: 20

Aldo Marazza
category: voiturette - non-championship
date of birth: ?? ??? 1912
place of birth: Milan, Italy
nationality: Italian
place of death: unknown, Italy (Monza? Milano?)
vehicle number: 4

Emilio Villoresi
subtype of vehicle: single seater
race: (private test)
track, circuit or stage: Monza
circuit variant: 1938-1949
date of birth: ?? ??? 1914
date of death: 20 June 1939
brand/model of vehicle: Alfa Romeo 158
sources corrected

Attilio Caffaratti
name: Attilio Caffaratti
full name: Attilio Caffaratti
date of death: 10 September 1900

Wilhelm Bauer
nationality: Austrian
sources detailed (book "Das Jahrhundert des Motorsports", by Lothar Boschen, pages 20 and 42, cited by "ReWind").

Marius Pin
sources detailed (Paul Sheldon, volume 1, page 53, cited by "ReWind").

Albert Clément

Giosuè Giuppone
Maurice Fournier
category: Formula Libre - non-championship
brand/model of vehicle: Corre-La Licorne
sources detailed (book "L'Historique de la Course Automobile 1894-1978", by Edmond Cohin, page 82, cited by "ReWind")

Biagio Nazzaro
sources detailed (book "L'Historique de la Course Automobile 1894-1978", by Edmond Cohin, pages 125 and 126, cited by "ReWind")
Enrico Giaccone
date of death: 26 August 1923
track, circuit or stage: Monza
circuit variant: unknown
place of death: Monza, Italy
brand/model of car: Fiat
role: riding mechanic
sources detailed (magazine "Autosport", issue of 21 August 2003, section "Anniversaries", page 55, and book "The Chequered Flag", by Ivan Rendall, page 104, both cited by "ReWind").

Marius Mestivier
category: sportscar - non-championship
race: 24 Heures du Mans
event: race
track, circuit or stage: Le Mans
circuit variant: 1925
accident date: 20 Jun 1925
date of death: 20 Jun 1925
place of death: Le Mans, France
brand/model of vehicle: Amilcar CGSS Grand Sport
vehicle number: 51

André Guilbert
category: sportscar - non-championship
race: 24 Heures du Mans
event: practice
track, circuit or stage: Le Mans
circuit variant: 1925
accident date: 19 Jun 1925
date of death: 23 Jun 1925
place of death: unknown, France
brand/model of vehicle: Ravel 12 CV Sport
vehicle number: 19

Paul Torchy
date of death: 19 September 1925
place of death: unknown, Spain
car: Delage 2LCV

Henry Segrave
full name: Sir Henry O'Neal DeHane Segrave
subtype of vehicle: speed record
race: water speed record attempt
date of birth: 22 September 1896
place of birth: Baltimore, MD
role: pilot

Herman Schurch
date of birth: 07 Apr 1903

Bernie Katz
date of birth: 31 October 1902
nationality: American

Luigi "Gigione" Arcangeli
nickname "Gigione" added. Name: Luigi "Gigione" Arcangeli
date of birth: ?? March 1902
place of birth: Savigano sul Rubicone, Forlì, Italy

Henri Cissac

Giosuè Giuppone
name corrected: Giosuè Giuppone
full name corrected: Giosuè Giuppone

Percy Lambert
full name: Captain Percy E. Lambert
date of accident: 21 October 1913
race: speed record attempt
event: speed record
track, circuit or stage: Brooklands
circuit variant: banked, outer, 1907-1939
brand/model of vehicle: Talbot 25 hp 4.5-liter
date of death: 21 October 1913
place of death: Brooklands, United Kingdom

Baconin Borzacchini
full name corrected: Mario Umberto Borzacchini
added note "Born Baconino Francesco Domenico Borzacchini and named after the Russian polititian Mikhail Bakunin - an anarchist -, changed his name to Mario Umberto Borzacchini in 1930, when Italy was governed by the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini."

Harry Knight
name corrected: Harry Knight
full name corrected: Harry Knight

Max Hardegg
name: Max Hardegg
full name: Count Max Hardegg

David Bruce-Brown
number of fatalities: 2
full name: David Loney Bruce-Brown
track, circuit or stage: Wauwatosa (Milwaukee)
circuit variant: 1912, open road course

Willie Carlson
track, cricuit or stage: Pacific Coast S'way (Tacoma S'way)
circuit variant: 2.0-mile board oval, 1915-1922

Paul Franzer
track, cricuit or stage: Pacific Coast S'way (Tacoma S'way)
circuit variant: 2.0-mile board oval, 1915-1922

This will we will continue to focus on the period 1920-1929 (eventual corrections and additions in other decades will also be entered)

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Muzza

Paul Torchy was born on 21/2/1897 at Rouen.

#3327 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:57

For your information, the search function on the Motorsport Memorial on-line site now works correctly.

#3328 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:10

That’s great news - thanks Nanni. Motorsport Memorial is a tremendous resource and the working search engine will make it even better.

For anyone who hasn’t used this site before, here’s the link:

http://www.motorspor...index.php?db=ct

#3329 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 13:23

For your information, the search function on the Motorsport Memorial on-line site now works correctly.

Took long enough...me and Jesper sent you guys a fix for the search function 4 years ago.

#3330 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,782 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:31

Fatality at Elvington yesterday:

Land speed record bid: Maximuscle founder Zef Eisenberg killed

#3331 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 23:42

It seems it hasn't been recorded here in this thread...

Unknown date in 1967, Ken Haynes rolled his Alfa Romeo at the Las Ochas Millas circuit in the Bottomless Lakes National Park in Arizona. Another competitor stopped and helped with CPR and did a trachiotomy with his pocket knife. This was Doc Foerster who was driving a Datsun Fairlady.

Haynes died later that night in hospital.

#3332 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 00:57

That is quite a surprise Ray, we camped there last year and had absolutely no idea.

Sorry to clarify, but Bottomless Lakes is a state park in New Mexico. Regardless, what a surprise.

#3333 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:15

There is a brief record on Motorsport Memorial:

http://www.motorspor...b&Search=Submit

#3334 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:38

Thanks as always, Tim.

Thinking now, there was a totally out-of-place stretch of rotting pavement near our off-grid site at Bottomless Lakes. Its location made no sense at all in going nowhere and replacing nothing, and now I wonder if it was a former track section.

I would have kissed it had I known, and flossed the stones out afterwards.

RIP, Ken Haynes.

#3335 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:10

I don't remember how I came across the website...

https://hooniverse.c...kes-state-park/

#3336 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:35

Just been round Bottomless Lakes on Streetview  !

Like a very bumpy Francorchamps in a desert - at least there were no houses to hit ! 

#3337 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 20:54

Encouraged by the previous post to take to Streetview I am astonished.  That narrow course makes Snetterton or Nivelles look positively picturesque...

DCN

#3338 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 21:21

Just been round Bottomless Lakes on Streetview!

Were your lap times any good? ;-)

Thanks for the link, Ray. I was just telling the Missus more about this, and she remembers the out-of-place pavement as well. It’s all astonishing to us.

#3339 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 21:44

Were your lap times any good? ;-)

Not great but I was walking   ;)

Advertisement

#3340 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 21:31

https://twitter.com/...006702991835137

21-year-old rally co-driver, Laura Salvo, died following a crash at the Rally Vidreiro Centro de Portugal (10th October 2020).

Edited by Darren Galpin, 10 October 2020 - 21:32.

#3341 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 22:33

In the list above Klaus Reisch is mentioned as having crashed fatally at Monza.  I believe his fatal accident actually occurred at Imola.

DCN

#3342 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 18:21

During the 1970 London-Mexico World Cup Rally, a second fatal accident was reported by some British newspapers, on 24 May 1970 the same day of Ido Marang's death in Panama. All the newspaper articles were similar (possibly a press-agency text): 

"A British girl, identified only as Daphne Strange, who had been living in Chaclacayo, near Lima, Peru, was killed when a rally car in which she was passenger plunged 200 ft. into a canyon."

It is doubtless controversial.

The name Daphne Strange seems if not false at least unusual. Was the young girl a participant in the rally (a co-driver)? It seems also quite unusual finding a passenger in a rally car... 

Albeit not yet confirmed, it is most likely that the accident was a road crash, involving a non-competing car (a spectators' car?)

Any information?

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 11 October 2020 - 18:22.

#3343 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,782 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 21:47

During the 1970 London-Mexico World Cup Rally, a second fatal accident was reported by some British newspapers, on 24 May 1970 the same day of Ido Marang's death in Panama. All the newspaper articles were similar (possibly a press-agency text): 

"A British girl, identified only as Daphne Strange, who had been living in Chaclacayo, near Lima, Peru, was killed when a rally car in which she was passenger plunged 200 ft. into a canyon."

It is doubtless controversial.

The name Daphne Strange seems if not false at least unusual. Was the young girl a participant in the rally (a co-driver)? It seems also quite unusual finding a passenger in a rally car... 

Albeit not yet confirmed, it is most likely that the accident was a road crash, involving a non-competing car (a spectators' car?)

Any information?

The Times, May 25th 1970, page 1:

0-FFO-1970-MAY25-001-F.png

#3344 FLB

FLB

• 29,573 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:58

French GT driver Daniel Dechaumel was killed at Magny Cours this past Friday:

https://www.autohebd...urs-213710.html (en francais)

#3345 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:32

I've just re-read Clive James'  Unreliable Memoirs and he makes reference in Chapter 15 to a childhood friend called Gary Meldrum being killed whilst riding an AJS at Mt Druitt.  I've searched the web but can find no reference to this accident. 

Motorsport Memorial notes 3 riders having lost their lives at Mt Druitt but none of the accident descriptions match that in the book so I assume Gary Meldrum was not a pseudonym for one of those unfortunates though it might have been for someone else not shown on MM  ( or Mr James memory may have been unreliable concerning this event of course !)

Edited - As per extract Geoff has posted below, Gary was leading a pack of AJS's but not necessarily riding one

Edited by LittleChris, 16 November 2020 - 14:46.

#3346 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 13:28

I've just re-read Clive James'  Unreliable Memoirs and he makes reference in Chapter 15 to a childhood friend called Gary Meldrum being killed whilst riding an AJS at Mt Druitt.  I've searched the web but can find no reference to this accident.

For others to read-

https://books.google..." dieds&f=false

Edited by Geoff E, 16 November 2020 - 13:29.

#3347 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 15:09

Need help to solve another mystery. 

According to German magazine "Motorsport Informationsdienst", issue  of 16 May 1951, a fatal accident occurred during the the 1951 ADAC Deutschlandfahrt - Zuverläsigkeitsfahrt, when a young German motorcycle racer crashed and was killed in the Schwarzwald-Höhenstraße. He rode a Victoria motorcycle.

The deceased rider's name was reported to be Georg Goppert.

Another famous German racer by the same name of Georg Goppert was in activity since the late 1930s and until 1958 he competed with remarkable success in different categories, including road races, hillclimbs and the International Six-Day Enduro. He was a member of the works Victoria team.

We don't know whether the magazine indicated an incorrect given name of the victim, or the two Gopperts were relatives. Or, probably Georg Goppert crashed during the 1951 race but eventually recovered.

#3348 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 18:44

That little quote has reminded me that I must re-read "Unreliable Memoirs"

#3349 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:17

Help from Australian TNFers:

from a Motorsport Memorial contributor's message, a fatal accident happened at Baskerville Raceway in Hobart, Tasmania in the 1970s, resulting in the death of Garry Wilson. Presumably the year was 1974. No other information available.

#3350 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 12:46

I've gone through Racing Car News from January 1974 to June 1975... no mention of anything...

Perhaps Lindsay will know something?