Bob Jane's cars - where are they?

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#51 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:51

Originally posted by cavvy
Bob still has the Mk2 Jag, the Camaro ZL1, the Brabham BT11a (NZGP winner on debut piloted by G.Hill), the Schnitzer BMW 635, the McLaren M6b & a collection of Repco engines .... that I've seen in the past 12 months.

The HQ was acquired by Des Wall & is currently being restored.

Understand the Elfin 400 is back in Melbourne.

The Trans Am Mustang (Bobs 3rd Mustang) is reputedly in a US museum, restored in the US after Bob Stevens sold it on.
The 2nd Mustang is in the Bowden hands, to be rebuilt ?

The L34 sold on to Ian Diffen is still in WA?

Claims are made on a regular basis of ownership of the A9X shared with Pete Geoghegan.

There is also a Penske & the Nascars.

Saw a Lagonda 1980s vintage in recent days, road going.

Maybe someone could persuade Bob to build a little museum before he moves on.... :up:

Talking about L34s etc....how about this one :)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#52 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 13:48

Bob still has the Mk2 Jag, the Camaro ZL1, the Brabham BT11a (NZGP winner on debut piloted by G.Hill), the Schnitzer BMW 635, the McLaren M6b & a collection of Repco engines .... that I've seen in the past 12 months.

The HQ was acquired by Des Wall & is currently being restored.

Understand the Elfin 400 is back in Melbourne.

The Trans Am Mustang (Bobs 3rd Mustang) is reputedly in a US museum, restored in the US after Bob Stevens sold it on.
The 2nd Mustang is in the Bowden hands, to be rebuilt ?

The L34 sold on to Ian Diffen is still in WA?

Claims are made on a regular basis of ownership of the A9X shared with Pete Geoghegan.

There is also a Penske & the Nascars.

Saw a Lagonda 1980s vintage in recent days, road going.

well at least Des Wall will race it.The 3rd Jane Stang has long gone out of the museum,some type of con job.The 2nd Jane Mustang ? being restored where did the shell appear from? Gut feel is the 1st red FHC E'TYPE is lying around and was not a total right off.

#53 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 20:03

Originally posted by Robert Bailey
.....The 2nd Jane Mustang ? being restored where did the shell appear from?

Good question... but simply because I don't know... I thought of this earlier, I don't ever recall anything being said about what Chris Brauer did with it after peeling back the fence at Lakeside.

A real shame, the whole thing, he was showing a lot of promise... his career ended just like Scotty's...

#54 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:55

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Good question... but simply because I don't know... I thought of this earlier, I don't ever recall anything being said about what Chris Brauer did with it after peeling back the fence at Lakeside.

A real shame, the whole thing, he was showing a lot of promise... his career ended just like Scotty's...

always enjoy your comments,I know also that Bob still has his Rice enclosed trailer.

#55 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,460 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:21

I was talking to my brother about the Mustangs and we think the third Jane stang went to Bob Stevens and then to Joe McGuinness in Lithgow. He thought that Joe had then sold it to Bowdens.

Now about the Chev Monza(s) What was the story with the Monza. Bob raced one for a while and then it had a big rebuild and Brock drove it. Or was the Brock car a complete new car? If it was a new car, what happened to the old car?

#56 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:22

I'm sure that was the same car...

In the lineage of the Mustang, you forgot Ron Marsden. I think it was Ron Marsden, anyway, Marsden Real Estate... I'm sure he owned it and had Bob Stevens (and another?) drive it. And then Joe McGuinness (sp?) I think, Garry would be able to tell you more on that. Duck out tomorrow and ask him.

#57 cavvy

cavvy

• 171 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 21:31

The original Jane Monza looked very much like the Moffat (DeKon) car, & was built up from a kit from Grant King.
As is being referred to as the Brock car, Miles Johnson still has the panels/moulds. This car went through ?hands before being modded as a Supra for Bryan Thomson & then/now with Des Wall.

Interesting re the Trans Am Mustang - a Gr2 Shelby car. I have never been able to trace it to the US. Dont believe the Bowdens have it.

#58 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 21:39

Someone should ask Bob Stevens...

He had it for a fair length of time, he would probably know. Though, with any luck, Catalina will drop in on Garry today and ask him.

#59 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:08

The original Jane Monza looked very much like the Moffat (DeKon) car, & was built up from a kit from Grant King.
As is being referred to as the Brock car, Miles Johnson still has the panels/moulds. This car went through ?hands before being modded as a Supra for Bryan Thomson & then/now with Des Wall.

Interesting re the Trans Am Mustang - a Gr2 Shelby car. I have never been able to trace it to the US. Dont believe the Bowdens have it.

The Group 2 car went to a USA Shelby Musuem and was nicked by the owner,never to be seen again(the whole thing wa a con)

Advertisement

#60 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:04

Someone should ask Joe McGuiness...I think he still runs the Autopro up in the mountains and runs the Silver XW/XY in Historics...nice fella :up:

#61 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:23

I gave Garry a call today, he was close to Joe the whole time he had that car and raced it on occasion...

He told me it was definitely sold to the US and put into a museum. Then it got stolen!

#62 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 19:55

I gave Garry a call today, he was close to Joe the whole time he had that car and raced it on occasion...

He told me it was definitely sold to the US and put into a museum. Then it got stolen!

gee some of those '67 Group 2 cars that came down under ended up with odd final tales,i often wondered weither the restored ex Neil Allen car was the correct shell or just a old speedway shell dudded up?It was funny how a well known Queensland collector never put his hand up for it,and his contacts ect and idea for detail a as good as it gets!

#63 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 20:26

That would be Niel Allen, Robert...

Was it purchased as a fully-built car? I don't recall, though I feel sure it's been mentioned recently.

Wouldn't it be nice to reunite Niel with that car for a few laps? Greg Cusack, too!

#64 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 23:58

Jane Repco, Jane Brabham, BT23 whatever.

I had a couple of private emails sent to me regarding this & after looking deeper into this cars history and speaking with even more people I believe I have a fairly definitive result as to this cars origins & direct line of history.
I won't post it until I get the OK from the owner & he accepts the details. (this does not state a change of opinion)
The car is without doubt an ex Bob Jane corp vehicle. The rest is just details
For those who thought I was trying to manipulate a vehicle history, I'm sorry that you interpreted my post in that matter. To those who contacted me, I thank you very much.
At no point was manipulation the intent, It was just a person asking questions & hoping for answers.
Here seams a pretty logical place to start considering some of the people's histories & backgrounds.
I hope some of you will be willing to help again in the future
Regards,
Giffo.

#65 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 00:04

I don't think anyone thought you were trying on any manipulation there...

Just trying to sort things out. Which I think the phone call to Britto basically concluded.

#66 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 00:55

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Bob's XU-1 sports sedan, and the later Torana sedan were bought by Ian Diffen and raced in WA for a few years. After that I don't know.

The Sports Sedan was on display at the Phillip Island historics in 2006 replete with the huge guard flairs and to me, looking a little sorry.

Can anyone add any detail as to who now owns this car and what the plans are for it?

It would be nice to see it return to its former glory as it was when BJ built it.

#67 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:20

Originally posted by fredeuce

The Sports Sedan was on display at the Phillip Island historics in 2006 replete with the huge guard flairs and to me, looking a little sorry.

Can anyone add any detail as to who now owns this car and what the plans are for it?

It would be nice to see it return to its former glory as it was when BJ built it.

Bob was busy this year as well.....

Posted Image

#68 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:59

There is a Lotus 26R for sale in this months Octane Magazine advertised as ex-Bob Jane

#69 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:11

Yes, he had one of them...

More famously it belonged to Niel Allen, who bought the yet-unraced car from Jane to replace his own after he crashed into the Warwick Farm pit counter.

#70 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:04

ok !!here is your mission should you wish to take it !!!?,In discussion with Bob Jane.'OFL' ("our fearless leader") re'what happened to the left overs of the 'Shell' Mustang when they got it back to the 'workshop/brunswick..???thinks for a moment,"well! we just gutted it out of any usable parts and pieces,then gave it to some young fellow that used to hang around the workshop who took it home,some where in Geelong" !!, that is from his masters voice, hisself,...... SO START DOOR KNOCKING,.. 'GAME IS ON' !!!!!!............................

#71 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:12

SO START DOOR KNOCKING,.. 'GAME IS ON' !!!!!!............................

So you find yourself an old body / shell & rebuild it.
Does that constitute as 'The Car' or just a discarded part?

#72 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 307 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:52

I just bought a new scanner; it has a slide-scanning attachment!

Serendipitously, one of the slides I picked at random to try it out was this;

Posted Image

Bathurst, Easter 1964.

#73 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:13

It would have taken a major miracle to resurrect the Chris Brauer Mustang after the Lakeside crash .

There is a series of photos of the accident on the web. Do a search on the term: "Chris Brauer" and include the words "Mustang" and "Lakeside". (The photos are not on my web site).

It's interesting that the car went back to the Bob Jane workshop afterwards. Was Chris leasing the car or simply driving it for Bob?

#74 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:05

the discussion with Bob was in relation to the 'shell'/katomba,1965/6 Mustang the Bob tossed along the top of the fence,with the arm out the window, waving to the crowd, 'Norm Beechey' style....have just seen one of six or seven sequence shots,taken by a young,at the time 'amature' photographer,will share with forum if they 'surface' as promised

#75 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:31

I'd be fairly sure that shell finished up worse than its successor in office, frankly...

It rolled along the fence, jumped over the fence, all at a very high speed. Brauer's crash was just off the line, probably in second gear, though he did have other cars hit him.

#76 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:40

I think that the Chris Brauer crash may have been worse than Bob Janes Catalina crash. It looked like it took a very big hit in the side.
This is one of my late fathers photos of Bobs car parked at the rear of the Carrington Hotel Katoomba.
Posted Image

#77 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:04

catalina park,(I'm guessing by that 'GREAT' photo by your late father, that perhaps we should give him the title 'katomba park') thats the car that I was discussing with Bob,not much that wasn't bent according to that great reality shot !!I'm sure Chris Brauer,by my recollection was pretty physcally hurt by his accident as the car was 'left hand drive' and thats the way it went in,......cars you can repair,....MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS, so is swimming,thats why we still do it !!

#78 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 14:43

No pic in RCN of the crashed Brauer car, but I wouldn't have thought side-on damage was so great... Jane was travelling parallel to him when he launched across...

I never heard of any injuries to Brauer, either, though I know he never raced again.

#79 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 21:42

In the Graham Howard/Stewart Wilson book Australian Touring Car Championship - 25 Fabulous Years , it mentions:

"Chris Brauer ended the day with internal injuries and a Mustang bent beyond his capacity to repair, and he never raced again."

It also shows a photo from the right side, and it can be seen that the left (driver's) side roof has been pushed up over a foot as would happen if landing on the armco on that door.

Advertisement

#80 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 21:53

He didn't land on the Armco... he went into it and lifted it up...

That's how Glynn Scott died in a later (the next?) race.

#81 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:10

Here is the photo that I mentioned, with the large amount of 'tenting' to the driver's side of the roof.

Posted Image

On a different tangent, while researching the 1970 Tasman Series today, I came across some information on the BT23E and the replica frame that Britto made from it. Apparently the original frame was only lightly damaged so it was repaired and the car rebuilt, and it appears that the 'Jane' chassis as it became known was debuted at the Sandown Gold Star round on September 13. There was an article on it in 'The Age' on Saturday September 12, and how it was running the Repco 830 series engine (with external exhausts as seen later on Brabham's BT31 and on Cooper's Elfin 600D) in place of the 740 engine in the BT23E.

Apparently the 'Jane' chassis was going to run the Jane designed four valve four cylinder engine, which was itself testing the design before a Jane V8 was developed to tackle Indy.

#82 Team Result

Team Result

• 234 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:51

He didn't land on the Armco... he went into it and lifted it up...

That's how Glynn Scott died in a later (the next?) race.

Ray, I think we've discussed this once before.
The race programme was delayed because of Glynn's crash and the ATCC was the next race run after they had
removed the twisted armco and placed a strawbale in front of the exposed post.
Brauer impacted almost head on into that post.
And the resulting legal action brought the Queensland Motor Sporting Club to its knees and saw Lakeside close for most of 1968? until a (very one-sided!) deal was struck with Surefers Paradise International Raceway P/L.

#83 Team Result

Team Result

• 234 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:54

Err, that should have read most of 1971.
It was the 1970 ATCC race, of course.

#84 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 20:04

I believe you're right there, Ross...

It was one of those meetings I never attended, so what we were told initially has stuck with me. Brauer's car sure looks a mess in that photo!

#85 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:01

Here is the article on the new Jane car and engines:
Posted Image

#86 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:11

Excellent David!
Do you have any more like that?
Also the details on the Jane Car have been updated
http://www.warm.org....rabham-BT23.htm
Thanks to the help of Allen, Andrew, Denis & Bryan
I still can't get hold of any of those articles mentioned tho

#87 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:43

This one should help you along... the others, except for the classified ad, are in the Gold Star thread...

Posted Image

#88 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:51

Just when things seem a little less confused, I'm not sure that the Sandown Gold Star round was the car's debut. I received a copy of an article today from Australian Motoring News which was a review of the Warwick Farm Gold Star round, and it mentions in the text
"Then came John Harvey in the new chassied (sic) Jane Repco (built by Bob Brittan [sic])..."
I was a bit puzzled even last night as photos from Warwick Farm showed the supposed BT23E looking very similar to the Jane Repco that appeared at Sandown, especially around the roll hoop supports, which was mentioned in the article from The Age. Of the few photos I have seen of the Oran Park round, this also looks similar to the Jane. A photo from Round 1 at Symmons Plains shows a very different car, no front supports for the roll hoop and the rear ones were mounted lower. No big side tanks either.
I'm inclined to think that it debuted at round 2 at Lakeside, or round 3 at Oran Park.

#89 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 746 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:13

Here is a colour Photo, Warwick Farm, September 6th 1970
http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

#90 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:22

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes
Here is a colour Photo, Warwick Farm, September 6th 1970
http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

Andrew, that is a real car , Regards PN.

#91 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:23

That was one of the photos that convinced me that the Jane was at Warwick Farm, not the Brabham. The forward supports to the roll hoop are visible.

#92 giffo

giffo

• 281 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:36

While I'm in no position to accurately comment, this article from Warwick Farm says Harvey was driving 'an old heavy car'
Posted Image

Andrew, that is a real car , Regards PN.

What is the definition of real?

#93 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:02

Actually, it says "Harvey had his hands full of what now looks an old heavy car."

Could it be that he was driving it with a greater degree of care because it was a new car with great hopes riding on it? It certainly didn't look an old heavy car in Round 1 at the start of the year.

#94 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 746 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:14

Originally posted by David Shaw
That was one of the photos that convinced me that the Jane was at Warwick Farm, not the Brabham. The forward supports to the roll hoop are visible.

By mid 1970 did BT23E-1 have any forward supports or outside water rail? Fuel tank would give it away but I can't see it in any of the photos.
This is 1968 http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

#95 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:26

Andrew, that photo is actually of the BT11A when it briefly had the Repco V8 installed.

#96 jcurran

jcurran

• 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:37

G'day All, I can confirm that Bt23-e was in pieces in Melbourne waiting to be re-assembled in very early 1970, by late 1970 it was sitting in a shed in Hobart waiting for a twin cam engine install ready for F2. in Tas. It was purchased from Bob Jane by my father (Bob Curran).

James.

#97 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:04

Thanks for that input James. I am sure that Harvey drove the BT23E at round 1 of the 1970 Gold Star at Symmons Plains on March 2. Sometime between then and September 13 at Sandown, the 'Jane' chassis made its Gold Star debut. It is widely reported by the motor racing press that Sandown was the 'Jane' debut, but photos indicate to me that it actually debuted early and I am trying to determine exactly when.

#98 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 746 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:23

Originally posted by David Shaw
Andrew, that photo is actually of the BT11A when it briefly had the Repco V8 installed.

oops! :blush:

#99 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:54

If you compare the bracing on the roll hoop in the photo that Andrew posted a link to in post #89, with the car that appears here http://www.oldracephotos.com/orp.html (do a search for image #1548), it is evident to me that these are 2 different chassis. It would have been a lot of work to modify the BT23E like that for just the Warwick Farm round if they were debuting the Jane chassis at Sandown a week later.

Advertisement

#100 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,401 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:55

Great work David. I thought the lid had finally been rammed closed on this particular can of worms. The article in RCN seemed to have sorted it all out but now we're back to the drawing board.

James - delighted to have you here too. Do you or your father have any pictures of the BT23E as you received it or shortly afterwards?