Photo

MP4-23

• Please log in to reply
3792 replies to this topic

#1 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 15:47

The McLaren Mercedes racecar for the 2008 F1 season.

Ten years ago the Mp4-13 was unleashed onto the Formula 1 world as one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history. Mika Hakkinen drove it to the 1998 WDC and the team won the WCC.

Hopefully history will be repeated.

Advertisement

#2 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 15:49

the fia will ensure that it is a flop.

#3 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:00

Tim Goss is the Chief Engineer for the MP4-23. Unfortunately he was also the Chief engineer of the dead-slow MP4-21.

Predicted drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Pedro de la Rosa.

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:03

Originally posted by karlth

Ten years ago the Mp4-13 was unleashed onto the Formula 1 world as one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history. Mika Hakkinen drove it to the 1998 WDC and the team won the WCC.

I think it is unlikely that Mika Hakkinen will ever be an F1 world champion again ;)

Zoe

#5 fillern

fillern

• 3,113 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:12

...I'm not sure if I want history to repeat a season with a dominant car like that (Think both Mp4-23's lapping the entire field - how exiting is that?). I'm more in for 3 or 4 backmarker teams getting competitive with the elite.

#6 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:13

Tim Goss is the Chief Engineer for the MP4-23. Unfortunately he was also the Chief engineer of the dead-slow MP4-21.

Predicted drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Pedro de la Rosa.

Yes, Tim Goss hasn't had the success that Pat Fry has (2005 & 2007). Hopefully, he will deliver better results this time around. I'm pretty sure it is going to be an evolution of the MP4-22; they are not going to go down the MP4-18 revolutionary style. And I do believe that they have stepped up a gear on the reliability front. They just need to unlock a bit more pace from the car.
'karlth', nice of you to start the thread for the MP4-23 :up:

#7 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:14

Should Mclarens new car be called the F2008-23?

#8 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:15

Originally posted by Hacklerf

and 24.

#9 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:20

Considering the every-other-year trend McLaren has been following of lately (odd years - good car, even years - not so good car) the car ought to be a dog.

We'll see. :cat:

#10 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:22

That's one reason why I would like the FIA to complete the verification of the MP4-23 right fom its DNA. Hopefully that should be sooner than later and Mac can concentrate on the car rather than trying to defend every accusation that comes across their way.

#11 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:29

Well next year the F2008 will be running a McLaren component.

Hopefully they won't gain anything from it. :)

#12 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:32

Well next year the F2008 will be running a McLaren component.

Hopefully they won't gain anything from it. :)

The f2007 runs Mclaren components - MES supplies every team with something already....

#13 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:37

Originally posted by Lifew12

The f2007 runs Mclaren components - MES supplies every team with something already....

It does? I had no idea.

#14 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 16:40

It does? I had no idea.

According to MES's 2007 publicity blurb in, among other things, 'Who Works in F1' it does - they say they supply 'every F1 team'.

What with, naturally, is not specified! MES produces all manner of sensors, electronic control units and stuff such as alternators and ignition coils, as well as data analysis systems.

#15 Red ITC

Red ITC

• 462 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 17:01

The StepneyTronic® High Bandwidth Remote Data Acquisition Package.

Codenamed "Project Boomerang" this system is available to lease for just $100,000,000 per season.

Six Tenths Guaranteed.

Documentation also available in Spanish.

#16 DavidR

DavidR

• 310 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 17:06

[B]Ten years ago the Mp4-13 was unleashed onto the Formula 1 world as one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history. Mika Hakkinen drove it to the 1998 WDC and the team won the WCC.[B]

Despite having "one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history" he only just beat Michael Schumacher to the title. Michael Schumacher, phenomenal.

#17 Majarvis

Majarvis

• 111 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 17:07

Originally posted by Lifew12

Dead wrong.

Ferrari uses Magnetti Marelli engine management software, not McLaren Electronic Systems.

#18 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 18:00

Only next season with the MES be incorporated into all the cars.

BTW, regardless of what Pat Head has said, I still think Nico is going to Macca.

#19 longhornx

longhornx

• 102 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 18:03

Originally posted by Majarvis

Dead wrong.

Ferrari uses Magnetti Marelli engine management software, not McLaren Electronic Systems.

Every team will use MES from 2008

Advertisement

#20 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 18:28

Whatever happens, the money lost in spygate and the resources sapped by the MP4-23 FIA inspection will ultimately make McLaren less competetive in 2008.

Job done Max Mosley.

#21 DavidR

DavidR

• 310 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 18:46

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor
Whatever happens, the money lost in spygate and the resources sapped by the MP4-23 FIA inspection will ultimately make McLaren less competetive in 2008.

Job done Max Mosley.

Not at all, Ron Dennis has already said so. So quit trying to prepare your excuses so soon.

#22 Red Rocket

Red Rocket

• 206 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 19:10

Why have Mclaren received more Ferrari plans?

#23 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:44

Originally posted by Majarvis

Dead wrong.

If you read the posts properly, you'll see that nowhere has anyone specified what MES components the F2007 uses, hence to assume it is engine management software is not the case; MES supply something, be it sensors, or whatever, to every Formula One team. They have done for a number of years.

#24 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:53

Originally posted by vsubravet

That's one reason why I would like the FIA to complete the verification of the MP4-23 right fom its DNA. Hopefully that should be sooner than later and Mac can concentrate on the car rather than trying to defend every accusation that comes across their way.

Yes, let's get this IP issue sorted early on and get back to normal business (as well as confirming the driver situation soon). Next year is, in some ways, a rebuilding year for Mclaren. Rebuilding the integrity of the team and hopefully creating more stability after a year of unnecessary turmoil. I hope the sting of defeat has stirred yet more effort and commitment from the boys at Mclaren, good luck!!

#25 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 726 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:02

Have they fired Coughlan yet? Or are they waiting for him to finish reading the 780 pages?

#26 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:11

Spoke to a non F1 driver this weekend who's pretty close to Wurz and he quoted the former McLaren tester saying the McLaren simulator being leagues ahead of the competition.

Having watched the Williams simulator the McLaren one must be pretty impressive to top that one. It seems that one of the things which sets it apart is its ability to take external data(track work/engine testbenches/aerodynamic changes/suspension design/etc) and integrate it immediately into the simulated car.

#27 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:25

Ten years ago the Mp4-13 was unleashed onto the Formula 1 world as one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history.

Nice one Karlth, you're finally making some sense after all these years. Perhaps it's time to rethink your Hungary 1998-revisited thread?;)

#28 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:21

Originally posted by pUs
Nice one Karlth, you're finally making some sense after all these years. Perhaps it's time to rethink your Hungary 1998-revisited thread?;)

Hardly :)

The 13's dominance was during the start of the season, or until FIA banned the car's third pedal slashing its laptime by a second.

#29 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:41

I think most of it was down to Bstone really...

#30 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:53

Originally posted by HSJ
I think most of it was down to Bstone really...

Considering the next Bridgestone team qualified almost 2 seconds behind and finished a lap behind it was not mostly down to the tyres.

#31 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:00

Originally posted by DavidR

Despite having "one of the more dominant cars in modern F1 history" he only just beat Michael Schumacher to the title. Michael Schumacher, phenomenal.

Well, before Suzuka, in comparison with Hakkinen, MS was credited worth something like 40-50 points due to reliability and other problems McLaren had, so the MP4-13's "dominance" was in the end more than a bit iffy.

#32 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:09

I posted this several years ago about MP4-23's initial test:

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro, 16th february 1998:

- McLaren: don't be mistaken by the ras.f1 slogan "test times don't
mean anything". Hakkinen did his very good time, straight out of the box
(before McLaren fiddled with setups), and with a reasonable amount of
fuel in the car. Autosport says that Hakkinen beat the best time for
1998 cars on the 2nd flying lap he did at Barcelona. By the 8th lap he
had beaten everyone by more than 1.2 seconds.

After that, (some of) the other teams panicked and started making
qualifying attempts to check how far was McLaren. Benetton and Tyrrel
got reasonable results (Fisico was only 0.07 slower than Hakkinen),
but the other teams were not very happy at the end of the tests.

Alas McLaren's massive superiority only lasted two races into the season.

#33 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:24

Cut the crap will you. That in the remaining races it broke down left and right and in the end wasn't even fast enough for poles does not mean a thing. It was dominant all the way, Schumacher always was and is head and shoulders above the rest, period. Why can't all people clearly remember such a simple baseline and just fit the facts into it in a proper, well-sorted-out fashion?

#34 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:25

I posted this several years ago about MP4-23's initial test:

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro, 16th february 1998:

- McLaren: don't be mistaken by the ras.f1 slogan "test times don't
mean anything". Hakkinen did his very good time, straight out of the box
(before McLaren fiddled with setups), and with a reasonable amount of
fuel in the car. Autosport says that Hakkinen beat the best time for
1998 cars on the 2nd flying lap he did at Barcelona. By the 8th lap he
had beaten everyone by more than 1.2 seconds.

After that, (some of) the other teams panicked and started making
qualifying attempts to check how far was McLaren. Benetton and Tyrrel
got reasonable results (Fisico was only 0.07 slower than Hakkinen),
but the other teams were not very happy at the end of the tests.

Didn't certain things got banned by Ferrari/FIA demand?

#35 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:26

Originally posted by Enkei

Yes.

#36 genespleen

genespleen

• 408 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:04

Hmmm...McLaren's M23 of 1973 took pole in its first race, and gave Hulme and Revson three wins that season. Next year, Emmo took it to the Driver's Championship. Twenty-threes are good for McLaren.

#37 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:04

Like spying, copying and redistributing stolen Ferrari IP? I can live with such a ban.

#38 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:10

Originally posted by Johny Bravo

Like spying, copying and redistributing stolen Ferrari IP? I can live with such a ban.

Why on earth are you bringing this up?
It has completely no relevance with the banning of McLaren's third pedal in 1998.

#39 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:12

Some extra information on the banning of the third pedal, which was officially declared legal by the FIA at the beginning of the season:

"Of the dozens of technologies banned by F1’s governing body through the years, McLaren’s rear brake pedal stands out as one of the most unjust bannings.

It was banned early in 1998 as McLaren made a stunningly dominant start to the year. Following a protest by Ferrari the system, that had previously been declared legal, was outlawed.

Many at the time suggested political motives were at work - and a desire to keep McLaren from getting too far ahead."

http://www.f1fanatic...ar-brake-pedal/

Advertisement

#40 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:18

Originally posted by Big Block 8

Cut the crap will you. That in the remaining races it broke down left and right and in the end wasn't even fast enough for poles does not mean a thing. It was dominant all the way, Schumacher always was and is head and shoulders above the rest, period. Why can't all people clearly remember such a simple baseline and just fit the facts into it in a proper, well-sorted-out fashion?

Naa, it's just that McLaren sucks. Since quite a few years they don't mange to build a championship winning car ;)

And for all the irony of the myth, it was Ron Dennis who said that they have to build a better car for their drivers than Ferrari does to be able to beat MS.

#41 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:22

Some extra information on the banning of the third pedal, which was officially declared legal by the FIA at the beginning of the season:

"Of the dozens of technologies banned by F1’s governing body through the years, McLaren’s rear brake pedal stands out as one of the most unjust bannings.

It was banned early in 1998 as McLaren made a stunningly dominant start to the year. Following a protest by Ferrari the system, that had previously been declared legal, was outlawed.

Many at the time suggested political motives were at work - and a desire to keep McLaren from getting too far ahead."

http://www.f1fanatic...ar-brake-pedal/

Since when does Charlie Whiting approving a new development on a race car mean anything? He certainly doesn't have the last the word on this when a team protests. And as was pointed out above, without reliability problems, it should never have mattered at all.

#42 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:38

Back to the topic: Excerpt from interview with Lewis:

Asked if he can clinch the title in 2008, Hamilton replied: "I believe I can, obviously, otherwise there's no point going into 2008.
"I think we're going to have a great car; we're pushing very, very hard. I'm going to be more experienced, I'm going to be pushing harder, making sure I'm fitter and even more determined than this year."

#43 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:46

Originally posted by Owen
Back to the topic: Excerpt from interview with Lewis:

Asked if he can clinch the title in 2008, Hamilton replied: "I believe I can, obviously, otherwise there's no point going into 2008.
"I think we're going to have a great car; we're pushing very, very hard. I'm going to be more experienced, I'm going to be pushing harder, making sure I'm fitter and even more determined than this year."

Hopefully Lewis won't be pushing very, very hard the wrong buttons.;)

#44 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:48

Originally posted by Johny Bravo

Hopefully Lewis won't be pushing very, very hard the wrong buttons.;)

Hilarious (not).

#45 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:55

Originally posted by HP
Since when does Charlie Whiting approving a new development on a race car mean anything? He certainly doesn't have the last the word on this when a team protests. And as was pointed out above, without reliability problems, it should never have mattered at all.

Well he is head of the FIA technical department isn't he? How can something which was declared fully legal be deemed illegal only 2 months later? Apparently Charlie Whiting approving developments doesn't mean anything indeed, but it should...

The reliability of the car wasn't all that good indeed, but if you loose speed you sacrifice some reliability in order to overcome the deficit.

#46 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:06

Well he is head of the FIA technical department isn't he? How can something which was declared fully legal be deemed illegal only 2 months later? Apparently Charlie Whiting approving developments doesn't mean anything indeed, but it should...

It's seems his judgments are not fully binding. Which IMO can only be good. You don't want one person making all interpretations on new developments, when the rule books are not clear or even non existent on the matter.

And then it's good that rival teams can only appeal once they learn of a new development. If McLaren would have needed the FiA's and all teams approval to race that 3rd brake, then it would either have come down to nobody racing it at all, or rival teams would have stalled approval for so long until they were ready themselves.

I think we have to accept that new controversial developments might give an advantage for a few races only. Enjoy while it lasts!

#47 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:14

I remember Newey saying that the 3rd pedal only worked in the hands (feet) of Hakkinen. His driving style complimented the extra pedal perfectly and was worth almost a second per lap.

#48 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:23

Originally posted by HP

And for all the irony of the myth, it was Ron Dennis who said that they have to build a better car for their drivers than Ferrari does to be able to beat MS.

Although good old Ron is known to be very adept in handling personal relationships with his drivers, IIRC for his credit he never said that - the essence of what he said was that (in a hypothetical situation) he would rather spend MS's salary into car development in order to achieve the same results of MS+car even with a lesser driver than MS (= MS's superiority, if any, was worth only a few million $ of extra development per year). Frank Williams often went along the same lines, although later on Frank openly joined the MS bandwagon, accompanied with also Damon Hill.

But Ron never said that he believed that MS in reality was a superior driver, although his statement could also be interpreted the way as you say, and was eagerly labelled as such by the press at the time. This or that, it was BS anyway, as soon after (or during, or before) that he was willing to hire MS regardless. :)

#49 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:33

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 car development will be well underway now. McLaren have several things to their advantage:

Firstly; The MES ECU, this is a reasonably simple system however 1 or 2 teams have had a few integration problems. McLaren is familiar with the coding involved with the ECU as they have been using a version of it for a while now. This means it will take them minimum time to introduce and thus they can concentrate on Mechanical and aero Development.

Secondly; The loss of TC will require the cars to put more of their efforts into mechanical grip, this is an area where McLaren has excelled at in the last few years. Loosing TC also means the centre of pressure of the car will have to move rearwards which plays to another of the teams strengths, their aero department. The McLaren Technology centre houses a undisclosed power of super computer similar to the BMW Sauber and AT&T Williams systems. This can run hugely complex CFD simulations and allows designers to hone there ideas before committing to wind tunnel testing.

Thirdly; Last year the former Michelin teams were behind in vital tyre knowledge in comparison to the Pre 2007 Bridgestone teams. It was decided that BS would not be obliged to provide setup data to the Michelin teams therefore they had to make sever premises and assumptions in their individual car designs. Some teams such as McLaren did very well at this where as others such as Renault did not do so well. This year however all of the ex Michelin teams have gained a significant working knowledge of the tyres. This give them more room to gain time compared to their pre 2007 Bridgestone team rivals.

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 car development is being headed by Tim Goss, Tim has been working in Motorsport since 1986 after completing his post graduate studies at Imperial College, London. His first role within the sport was in the Motorsport section of Cosworth Engineering. In 1990 Tim, who was born 28th February 1963, joined McLaren Racing as a design engineer responsible for engine installation. During his time at McLaren Tim has taken on many roles including Project Leader for Systems, responsible for engine installation, Assistant Race Engineer to Mika Hakkinen, Chief Test Team Engineer; he was head of Vehicle Dynamics from 1998-2001 and became Chief Engineer – Powertrain in 2001. Tim's current role is Chief Engineer MP4-23 following on from his role these past two years as Chief Engineer MP4-21. He will now take on responsibility for the specification and development of the 2008 race car.

#50 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:56

Nice list Andy but don't forget the simulator as another advantage.