Photo

The works of Arthur Benjamins

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:09

I've been trying to persaude a friend of mine, the artist Arthur Benjamins, that he should be here on TNF, and he may be lurking somewhere! But I wondered on who here has any of his works, and the general feeling toward them?

Arthur in recent years has been trying many different styles, but is always being asked to "go back" to his original style. He was one of the first, if not the first of the modern generation to take to the land and water speed attempts for subject matter, and always seemed to try and paint from a position from where one could never have taken a photograph.

I have always loved the painting he did for me for Leap into Legend, which came from a simple suggestion by me, and which he "nailed" first try, and realise, art, like music has many many genres, but still, I'd like to see how others feel.

Advertisement

#2 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 162 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 13:20

I hope you can persuade Arthur to join the TNF fun! :)

At home I have two prints of his work hanging up - Prost and Senna side by side in their MP4/4's (which if memory serves is called "Dynamic Duel") and "Remembering Gilles".

Arthur was the first "motorsport" artist that grabbed my attention when I first became interested in the sport in the eighties, and I've enjoyed his work ever since.

#3 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 14:18

It would be nice to greet him on this forum (in Dutch as well!!). Years ago I had some prints hanging in my room. The one of Mansell in the 640 skidding on the curbs at speed was very good. His "No surrender" of the epic Arnoux-Villeneuve battle is possibly his best masterpiece.

I guess he can capture speed like a master and never fails with the proportion and depth of the cars.

Did he branch out of F1 altogether? Would be a pity.

#4 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 14:48

Little-known fact: I'm sure Arthur's face once adorned the front of Daddies Sauce bottles, after he was nominated as dad of the year or somesuch...

Nice guy, but I haven't seen him around for quite a while.

#5 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 15:45

I like Arthur Benjamins work. A little bit different to the other stuff around at the time (early 80's). His prints were also quite heavily marketed (by David Wynstanleys company?), which was also something new. I feel sure he inspired several others, including myself, to do something similar - although not necessarily with the same success. :)

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 16:00

Originally posted by Simon Arron
Little-known fact: I'm sure Arthur's face once adorned the front of Daddies Sauce bottles, after he was nominated as dad of the year or somesuch...

Nice guy, but I haven't seen him around for quite a while.

Your right Simon! He was"nominated" by his son as "the best dad", and won a trip to Florida I recall. I remember getting a postcard that said, "holidays? I hate them!" I bet he still has a bottle of sauce though!

I'll drop him another line, and try and encourage him!!

#7 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 16:52

Good old Arthur, spent many hours at exhibitions (Coys etc) on adjoining stands, both of us exhibiting our works.
Another Dutch artist, Rob Ijbema, was also sort of 'involved' with a non-painting award. His young son won the Goodwood FoS children's 'design a car' competition a few years ago. His design was built at the revival and the young Ijbema was driven around the circuit in his car, with Sir Stirling at the wheel. Rob and family followed in the course car.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 19:24

I believe Arthur is just awaiting his password................................

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 16:43

I have heard from Arthur, and he has subscribed, but as yet hasn't recieved his log on details, I wonder if Twinny might be able to look into that?

In the mean time AB has asked me to post the following on his behalf.

"Good evening all.
My good friend Steve Holter recently contacted me again to come onto this forum and say my say. When I discovered a thread totally dedicated to lavish praise from many, on my work, I buckled.
Yes indeed, Steve is correct when he says that I have been trying to leave my old style behind but that several old and new customers lure me back into my ‘old ways’
Since the early 80s, Autosport has been in the foreground in giving me sterling publicity and I shall be in their debt for ever more. Some even began to call me the ‘Autosport Artist’ and indeed, it certainly looked that way when another monthly ‘Armchair Enthusiast’ featured another one of my creations.
When the revised Motor Sports Show arrived at the Cunard Hotel in 1983, nearly all the visitors were familiar with my work. At that time, I was sharing the stage but with a very few. Roy Nockolds and Dion Pears were long gone and the master himself, Michael Turner reigned supreme of course. As the years progressed, several other artists emerged like Tony Smith, Andrew Kitson and Alan Fearnley. The racing car Shows began to offer chances for more and more artists to launch their careers. Business was rosy indeed and all artists became busy in paying off their mortgages – until the recession began to bite at around the turn of the decade into the 90s.
Later, the company who were producing videos and prints of my paintings went under, due to mismanagement, owing myself quite a considerable sum of money and many others too. By the early and mid 90s, motor racing art in the UK was all but dead in the water. There were (and still are) highly talented participants galore but the hitherto eager buyers stayed away and the majority of new buyers seemed only interested in cheap deals. By the time the Coys and Goodwood exhibitions came about in the mid 90s and which showed a lot of wonderful talent, there was a brief upturn but that, too, rapidly faded away.
I had been ready for some years before that to move away from my trademark photo realism that had been featured on TV, advertising posters and had been the subject of many articles in Autosport, Motoring News, Motor, Classic & Sportscars and others.
Once I had established the path down which I wanted to travel, I embraced my new motor racing painting style with passion. Along with this I began to paint abstract and total abstract, which was a throwback to many years previous but of which the symptoms I never recognised. Like a divorce that had been in the making for some time, I said goodbye to my photo realism and concentrated on my new way of life. Although I would never voluntarily produce another painting in my old style, I am, from time to time, called upon to do just that.
All artists change styles. It’s a matter of natural progress of reformatting and re-discovery. If you look at the early works of Mondrian, Picasso, Newmann, Pollock and Kline, you will discover a completely different style that sometimes has no visible bearing on the final result. At this particular moment in time I am in the middle of a very exiting metamorphosis that sees me having become a very angry artist who, like protest singers before, is in no mood any more to accept the way of the world without fighting to speak up. This is the sole task of my abstract work which has its own unparalleled voice and which requires a brave gallery owner indeed to take me on. My new style motor racing paintings, however, is not so truculent. Once my website is up and running, I hope to have the chance to show my works in various shapes, from the very early beginnings, right up to the present.
I am mean, moody and ugly but I have a spring in my step again.

Arthur Benjamins."

#10 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 19:33

Well, it seems that many moons ago I was part of the forum but as time schlepped by and more and more versions of AOL dimmed my system and crashed everything out of existence (typical of AOL) I must have forgotten I had registered after all.
I will thank my old mucker F1SteveUK for carrying my heartfelt comments of last week.

Arthur Benjamins

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:27

Nice to see that you have "got through" at last, Arthur.

#12 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:53

Hello Bluebird,

Nice to meet you here at TNF.

Veel plezier,

Arjan

#13 rijdema

rijdema

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:19

hey Arthur !hey Andrew!
did i hear my name?

#14 rijdema

rijdema

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:28

the most fun i ever had with Arthur was at Coys or Goodwood art show
where he swapped round Graham and Michael Turners name tags ,that was above their painting booths,nobody noticed,people were looking at Grahams paintings thinking they were Michaels and vice-versa,shows how much they were a like :rotfl:

have fond memories of Andrew as well,bumping in to him,both of us stalking the racing paddocks all over England looking for commissions...that was hard work,with all those young prima-donna's racingdrivers...

#15 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 22:20

Arthur, your photo realistic paintings are exceptionally good. You ability to paint such accurate images from impossible positions is unrivaled and the way you convey speed is superb.
Arthur...PLEASE produce just one more modern day print in your "old" style. Give a big V sign up to all your doubters and make all other motor sport artists slump back in their chairs and wonder why the hell they are bothering because the king is back!
Come on Arthur...I know you have it in you to produce something awsome...rich in colour, dynamic and exciting.
No one comes close to your standard.
If I was one of the current F1 drivers (which sadly I'm not) and you did a painting of me, it would be one of the highlights of my career!
I think you'd be amazed at the response you'd get.
Go on Arthur....please.

#16 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:40

Originally posted by rijdema
the most fun i ever had with Arthur was at Coys or Goodwood art show
where he swapped round Graham and Michael Turners name tags ,that was above their painting booths,nobody noticed,people were looking at Grahams paintings thinking they were Michaels and vice-versa,shows how much they were a like :rotfl:

have fond memories of Andrew as well,bumping in to him,both of us stalking the racing paddocks all over England looking for commissions...that was hard work,with all those young prima-donna's racingdrivers...

Hi Rob, good to see you here too. Yes, our paths often crossed...I first met you I think at some race team HQ when I was delivering a picture and you were delivering one of your fantastic hand built scale models which every F3 & F3000 team out there seemed to have, before you started on the artwork/painting route. Hope it's going well.

#17 rijdema

rijdema

• 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:25

yes everything is fine here Andrew,painting is good!
not going to races much anymore,think i've done my fair share,you?

i hope you all realise inviting Arthur in here is like inviting a heap of trouble :rotfl:

#18 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:44

Arthur, are any of your prints still available?

#19 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 21:08

Shifty, thank you very much for your kind comments. Much appreciated indeed. I had expected that I'd be automatically informed by email if anyone had written to me via the forum, but this did not happen - hence the delay in answering.
Yes, I do have a good quantity of old prints left if you are interested but the ones like 'First Time Out' no more I'm afraid. Please drop me a line for a listing.

Indeed, Rob is correct in stating that I'm a heap of trouble as the final years at the large Silverstone and Goodwood exhibitions, I became so damned tired of all the pseudo-buyers, rubber neckers and tyre kickers that I actually had an extendable baton sticking out from my back pocket to 'massage' a few gums with. My fellow artist and friend, Simon Taylor became so exceptionally worried about this that he remained in very close proximity to prevent a bloodbath from ocurring. Poor Simon did turn a horrible colour white when I lied (straight-faced) that I had an UZI submachine gun in my holdall for when I got extremely p*ssed off.
Could you imagine the newspaper headlines: "Dutch Dealer of Death!" :lol:
Rob also reminded me of the nameplate swapping of Michael and Graham Turner at a Coys meet one year, I had forgotten about that one. Yes, I do miss those days dreadfully and I think we should organise another show somewhere and just misbehave terribly. :stoned:

I have always admired the painters who made a direct approach to drivers at the racing events as I never had the courage for that - and I still don't. With the demise of the Coys and Goodwood meets, all admirably organised by Andrew Marriott, I have remained quite distant from the racing painting scene, unless approached for commissions. The days of randomly painting motor racing for the hell of it has long gone I'm afraid. :

Arthur

Advertisement

#20 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 18:28

Originally posted by bluebird
The days of randomly painting motor racing for the hell of it has long gone I'm afraid. :

Arthur

Why is that Arthur? Your not enjoying the racing as much or just the scene in general?
Did you originally do it for fun, which then became a living or was it something you planned?

#21 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 18:08

Originally posted by ShiftyDriver

Why is that Arthur? Your not enjoying the racing as much or just the scene in general?
Did you originally do it for fun, which then became a living or was it something you planned?

Shifty,

About 8 years ago I was in the middle of a commission (old style) when I realised that it was proceeding quite slowly and painfully and it was then that I felt a painting style divorce was imminent. I threw myself on my new style wondering why I had not done this sooner. This new style allowed me to reduce the spotlight on PURE motor racing but opened the scope for viewers who appreciated more the colour, shape and composition then just cars snaking around bends.
Touching on racing frrom the 50s and 60s allowed me to paint scenes that did not date, unlike modern F1 paintings that are immediately past it.
My storage unit is full of paintings that remained unsold. This is not uncommon amongst painters but it is still damn annoying when you've been spitting blood over some masterpiece, only for it to be ignored by the punters. Painting all that stupid advertising is also very labourious and we are all very mindfull how some years ago artists had their stock of prints and/or paintings seized because a driver's eyes were visible or that the advertising was too prominent.
For Chrissake, which painter enjoys the hours of sweat over logos? Prints and paintings are sold DESPITE the advertising, not because of it!
I stopped going to the Goodwood shows becasue I refused to paint anything new and who could blame me?
There was a time in the 80s that I contemplated going full time but a good friend of mine warned me against it and I'm glad he did. So to that effect I remained being a designer - which I still am.
My old style is not 100% dead as occasionally I am asked to paint in it and it isn't as deadening as it was before but as long as I'm concentrating on my abstract, painting motorracing for the hell of it hoping that someone might buy it, isn't in my plans.

#22 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 18:35

Good to hear from you Arthur.

I purchased 'Relentless Pursuit' depicting Berger in his F1-87-88C and I always wanted the Johansson/Alboreto painting but never got around to it. Never knew you were Dutch!

Look forward to seeing your website.

#23 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:27

Hi man,

I remember the Relentless Pursuit painting very well. A Japanese collector bought it and he still sends me Xmas cards with pics of him rubbing shoulders with the likes of Luca de Montzomolo or taking delivery of yet another new model Ferrari. He has more Ferraris than you can shake a stick at and he has promised on SOOOO many occasions to commission me or launch my work in Japan but so far has failed to make happen any of them.
This is why it is so easy to go off people Big Time.
Alboreto vs Johansson print. That was my very first print in the UK and I still have some if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Arthur

#24 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:26

Still waiting for that PM Arthur! ;)
I already have several of you prints:
Gilles,
Farewell Victory
Passing Strangers,
Heir Apparent
Fire Storm
Determinator
Scene 27 take 2
Stewart Supremacy

I forget the names of the others, but:

Prost in the 85 Mclaren
Mansell in the 1990 Ferrari (from above)
2 Jaguar sports car rints
Rindt in the Lotus
Mansell in the 1993? Lola Cart.

Did you do many more Arthur?

#25 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 13:41

Shifty,

About 8 years ago I was in the middle of a commission (old style) when I realised that it was proceeding quite slowly and painfully and it was then that I felt a painting style divorce was imminent. I threw myself on my new style wondering why I had not done this sooner. This new style allowed me to reduce the spotlight on PURE motor racing but opened the scope for viewers who appreciated more the colour, shape and composition then just cars snaking around bends.
Touching on racing frrom the 50s and 60s allowed me to paint scenes that did not date, unlike modern F1 paintings that are immediately past it.
My storage unit is full of paintings that remained unsold. This is not uncommon amongst painters but it is still damn annoying when you've been spitting blood over some masterpiece, only for it to be ignored by the punters. Painting all that stupid advertising is also very labourious and we are all very mindfull how some years ago artists had their stock of prints and/or paintings seized because a driver's eyes were visible or that the advertising was too prominent.
For Chrissake, which painter enjoys the hours of sweat over logos? Prints and paintings are sold DESPITE the advertising, not because of it!
I stopped going to the Goodwood shows becasue I refused to paint anything new and who could blame me?
There was a time in the 80s that I contemplated going full time but a good friend of mine warned me against it and I'm glad he did. So to that effect I remained being a designer - which I still am.
My old style is not 100% dead as occasionally I am asked to paint in it and it isn't as deadening as it was before but as long as I'm concentrating on my abstract, painting motorracing for the hell of it hoping that someone might buy it, isn't in my plans.

Interesting comments. I spent many years providing watercolour/gouache paintings as a sideline to my freelance illustration business. I was encouraged by several customers to go into the poster market and gave it a go. Having dipped my toe in the water, I found it a bit chilly and promptly pulled it out again! Trying to do my normal work and having very little budget for marketing proved to me it was never going to work, despite reasonable feedback on the product. Having 2 kids, a house and a Formula Ford to run didn't help either.

I totally agree that modern pictures have a very limited sell by date but 50's, 60's and even the 70's have a market. Modern cars don't really seem to have the same appeal and the advertising :eek: My style was quite 'tight' so getting the lettering and logos correct was a total pain in the backside! I began to hate it and when I got out of racing for a while I got out of painting as well.

Since then my business has had to go the Apple MAC route, but I occasionally get the brushes out and I've even had the odd commission again. Much as I'm happy to do the odd picture for a local racer and his modern car I'd rather find a moment in time and recreate that scene in a style I'm happier with. Not that I know what it yet! Now the kids are at Uni I'm supposed to have a bit more time on my hands ;) so perhaps I can develop something. Unfortunately my wife hates it as she thinks I should be doing something that earns money!

I admire the budding artist who can carve a career out of Motorsport Art. It ain't easy!

#26 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 162 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 13:59

Did you do many more Arthur?

I hope that Arthur won't mind me partially answering the question.

If you're a Schumi fan then there's Young Giant, or if you're a fan of Alesi then there's Deliverance as well.

(I'm not connected in any way to the website I've linked to, by the way!)

#27 Julian Pratt

Julian Pratt

• 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 17:04

I was interested to read all this stuff about Arthur Benjamins. I first saw some of his work at the Racing Car Show in London (not sure of the year!). I was so impressed I bought a painting. Never done it before or since. It was a painting of Prost (Mclaren) and Senna (Lotus) neck and neck, from the rear, at speed, possibly at Monza.

Arthur explained that he took some photos of the cars in the pits at Brands hatch (I think) and then just made the rest up. It really is a super painting!

We agreed a price and I thought I would just take it away, but Arthur was very nervous. He explained that it was a large painting and it had to go in a big room. I said I wanted in for my office at work as I wanted to look at it every day! Arthur said he would have to check the room out to see if it was suitable! He did and it was!

I think I should perhaps get it insured as Arthur's work is now sort after. I hate to mention money, but has anyone any idea what it is worth today? I do not plan to sell it, because it is too good, but I would be interested in a rough value.

#28 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 18:38

I saw a couple of Arthurs paintings on an art auction site (not Ebay) and I think they were expecting £5-6K, it might have been more. Worth every penny if you have that kind of money to spend on art. If I did, I would and I'd certainly be hammering on Arthurs door commisioning pictures left right and centre!

#29 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 23:12

Hi Julian,

It was good to hear from you via the Forum and I'm glad you still enjoy my work. I do recall my wife and I dropping the painting off at your company that specialised in bearings. That was several months before "Top Gear" featured my works in a 6 minute slot. Aaaah, halcyon days!
It was the 1986 Ally Pally show where you saw me and bought the original. The image was loosely based on Monza but in any case, it was the spectacle that I wanted to convey and not just a specific time and place that I always tried to avoid unless specifically requested.
Anyway, as the painting formed centre stage of my exhibition, you very kindly allowed me to retain it for the rest of the show where some visitors vainly tried to offer me a higher price for it. I don't think I ever told you that.

The real thing that I miss by not exhibiting is the interaction with the visitors, past, present and future clients as almost every single painting that I sold has a story attached to it.
One such case was when a client who had put a deposit on a large original, wheeled a friend around to show his new acquisition. Upon seeing the painting, the friend uttered, "F***ing Hell", to which the client calmly turned around and said, "I certainly hope so, because that's where I'm going!"
Such shows were brilliant for re-connecting with past clients and several of those became good friends.

#30 rijdema

rijdema

• 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 23:48

Arthur,i remember when i just started painting cars and came round your place,you politely adviced me not to bother...i now understand why...it can be a snotty business.
but i'm glad i was stubborn and ignored your pessimism,went ahead and things are ok,found my own niche and it is getting better...ok no 20 grand paintings,but then i'm no slave to detail,it has to move and i paint fast!

#31 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:32

Originally posted by rijdema
Arthur,i remember when i just started painting cars and came round your place,you politely advised me not to bother...i now understand why...it can be a snotty business.
but i'm glad i was stubborn and ignored your pessimism,went ahead and things are ok,found my own niche and it is getting better...ok no 20 grand paintings,but then i'm no slave to detail,it has to move and i paint fast!

Hi Rob,

I don't think I would ever have been so rude and unthinking to tell you to forget it. One of the things I did was merely passing on the pitfalls of people who promise and deliver nothing. By that time you were already becoming quite established in your own right and I certainly would never have passed on any negative advice.

The information I gave you in your quest to seek out London galleries, was to brace yourself for a hard ride as many London gallery owners have a penchant for disappearing up their own behinds. Yes indeed, these sort of experiences would make anyone wish they had never bothered in the first place.

Last year I had an interesting email exchange with an artist who's star began to shine brightly in the 1990s. Some days later he erroneously sent me the email destined for an existing American client in which he outlined his usual price of a commissioned piece for around $30.000!
I was quite embarrassed to re-direct this email back to him but it shows that there is till some out there who respect and appreciate motoring art.

I assume you still have my tel number (I sadly lost yours). Gimme a call any time you want. I need to practice my 'Hurdy-Gurdy' again :lol:

Arthur

#32 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:49

Last year I had an interesting email exchange with an artist who's star began to shine brightly in the 1990s. Some days later he erroneously sent me the email destined for an existing American client in which he outlined his usual price of a commissioned piece for around $30.000!
I was quite embarrassed to re-direct this email back to him but it shows that there is till some out there who respect and appreciate motoring art.

Hi Arthur...wonder who that is then? Does his surname start with a W by chance.. :lol: :lol:

#33 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:51

Just some pics of the old style then:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:52

This has just reminded me of something. I had a rogue e-mail enter my inbox about 5 years or so ago too.
It was from a PA for a retired well known British F1 driver who shall remain nameless!

The discussion was Christmas cards and it said something like 'Don't bother sending any this year because they don't appreciate them, just send one to Mr.E'

It went out to their entire contact address book as I could see all of the recipients! Ooops...

#35 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 13:01

Arthur, my favourite of yours was the one of Senna in the JPS Lotus on the limit at the apex. Was it Spa or Monza? Very brave of you to paint in enamels I always thought and I knew (thought) I had made it having space alongside you in the old 'Racing for Britain' magazine all those years ago showing my pictures too! I still have that Top Gear clip on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember watching them film you with William Wollard..the Ally Pally show in '87?

#36 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 16:32

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Hi Arthur...wonder who that is then? Does his surname start with a W by chance.. :lol: :lol:

Andy.....I was wracking my feeble brain which painter's name with a "W" you are referring to, this shows just how long I've been out of circulation for me to start forgetting names of fellow artists. :confused:

#37 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 16:51

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
[B]Just some pics of the old style then:

Arjan,

Thanks for those. Every single one has a story attached to them. The top one of Prost was a commission from a shadowy figure who later sold it to Jacques Vaucher in the USA and who has it now on his website.
Jean Alesi...ah yes. Now that is a chap for whom I have the utmost respect - along with Professor Sid Watkins.
Jean was driving for Benetton I believe at the time and I had obtained a Paddock Pass. I sneaked in the pits and Jean was standing near the front, cleaning and fussing over his visor.
When he saw me in the ready with my camera, he stopped and stood to attention for my shot. That was a gesture I shall always remember.

When at Ferrari, he also autographed a commissioned painting and instead of sprawling it across in some spidery signature look-alike, he signed it in deference underneath my own.
After that kind of consideration, the guy was tops in my eyes.

Arthur

#38 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 16:55

Andy.....I was wracking my feeble brain which painter's name with a "W" you are referring to, this shows just how long I've been out of circulation for me to start forgetting names of fellow artists. :confused:

Can't be the artist I thought it might be then Arthur. Yep, Jean's a real star...he offered to sign my edition of the Phoenix GP one for free, until his manager Eddie Jordan overheard! An easy deal turned into an expensive one!

#39 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 16:59

Arthur, my favourite of yours was the one of Senna in the JPS Lotus on the limit at the apex. Was it Spa or Monza? Very brave of you to paint in enamels I always thought and I knew (thought) I had made it having space alongside you in the old 'Racing for Britain' magazine all those years ago showing my pictures too! I still have that Top Gear clip on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember watching them film you with William Wollard..the Ally Pally show in '87?

Andy,

YESSS, the Ally Pally, William Woollard Top Gear slot. It was good old Frank Page who did all the interviewing and I still have the B&W pics of the whole film team in action. was it really 1987? In that case, my earlier reply to Julian Pratt is somewhat flawed as I thought it was 1986. I shall check my facts as time has ravaged my brain I fear :lol:
If you remind me one day, I shall give you the story behind that Senna pic you are referring to.

Arthur

Advertisement

#40 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 20:13

Hello Arthur, Andrew and Rob
Fancy meeting you all here. I was privileged to meet you all in the late '80s/early '90s. I sold Rob's models, and exhibited Arthur and Andrew's art in my Art Exhibitions held in Nathan's Studio. I'm please to know that you are all still around and wish you well. Might get to meet you again some day soon.
Best wishes
Nathan

#41 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 23:14

Originally posted by pilota
Fancy meeting you all here. I was privileged to meet you all in the late '80s/early '90s. I sold Rob's models, and exhibited Arthur and Andrew's art in my Art Exhibitions held in Nathan's Studio. I'm please to know that you are all still around and wish you well. Might get to meet you again some day soon.
Best wishes
Nathan

Nathan,

Welcome to the forum my friend. I've already proved myself as a grumpy old man, so please don't try and steal that bit of thunder from me :rotfl:

Arthur

#42 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 23:28

The Prost painting in the 1990 641 is for sale!

See here: http://www.arteauto....ROD&ProdID=1641

#43 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 23:33

Just done a little digging around at it would appear that the original of Spa 1983 - Piquet in the Brabham was sold by Bonhams for the princely sum of £50!!! in December 2003. How could the owner let it go for so little??

#44 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:05

Originally posted by pilota
Best wishes
Nathan

Hi Nathan! Well I never. I've seen you post here quite often, never knew it was you. Are you still in the South Beds area? You'll have to come to our next TNF meet at Baldock and would like to see you again.

#45 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:27

Nathan,
Welcome to the forum my friend. I've already proved myself as a grumpy old man, so please don't try and steal that bit of thunder from me :rotfl:
Arthur

Hi Arthur
Nice to make contact again after so long. Really enjoyed our phone chat, and I don't think there's much chance of stealing your grumpy old thunder :lol:
Nathan

#46 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:30

Hi Nathan! Well I never. I've seen you post here quite often, never knew it was you. Are you still in the South Beds area? You'll have to come to our next TNF meet at Baldock and would like to see you again.

Hello Andrew
Yes I'm still in south Beds area, and I have tried to make the last two Baldock meets but have failed. It is my intention to make the next one, as long as I spot the posts for it. Look forward to seeing you again. Best wishes - Nathan

#47 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 23:14

Just done a little digging around at it would appear that the original of Spa 1983 - Piquet in the Brabham was sold by Bonhams for the princely sum of £50!!! in December 2003. How could the owner let it go for so little??

That particular painting was sold to a client who hung it on the wall in one of his busy clubs. After about ten years he informed me that the constant smoke had made the picture very dirty. I did offer my services free of charge to clean it but he never took me up on it. Upon visiting him one day, I was horrified to note that it had also sustained wilful damage, i.e, cigarette burns and cuts. Despite my further offers to restore it, he took no further action.
Unless he specified a reserve - which I doubt - Bonhams will have wanted to turn its back on it as swiftly as possible, hence the price it allegedly went for.
Had I been able to clean and restore the painting to its original beauty, he would have had an excellent return - as had another client of mine who had his painting of Senna autographed and recently valued in excess of £12.000!

#48 Woody

Woody

• 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 18:48

I have a 'Dynamic Duel' limited print 157/350 signed by Arthur Benjamins, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. Does anyone have any idea as to how much this may be worth? It has been part of the family for 19 years, when both my wife and I worked at McLaren, but selling it is something we may have to consider at the moment :( . I have emailed Arthur who very kindly responded, and among other suggestions, suggested I ask everyone on the forums advice. If anyone can offer any guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

#49 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 19:07

I'd go with whatever Art said, and if it didn't get near it, send him around in full combats. he'd like that!

#50 bluebird

bluebird

• 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:43

I've given up dressing as Che Guevara, it's more like Norman Schwarrtzkopf now :lol: