Photo

Bob Webb Durlite Porsche 550A

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:36

Does anyone have information concerning the late Bob Webb, who raced a rebodied 550A Porsche Spyder
known as the Durlite Special, circa 1959-62? Webb is believed to have passed away in the mid 1980s. I'd like to learn where he lived, which SCCA region he competed in, his competition record in this car and any period racing photos that might be laying about. You can reach me directly at linsky911@comcast.net Thank you!

Advertisement

#2 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 15:01

Here is a little bit.

Cheers Rosey

=-7&tx_anam]http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/16600/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[pointer]=-7&tx_anam

#3 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 16:32

Thanks, Rosey! I appreciate the tip. I somehow landed on Jan's email list, so I also received that ad last week. Unfortunately, there isn't very much information out there on either Webb or the Durlite. I do have some minor references to the car in my library, but nothing that would lead me to Webb's family or friends. I hope this group can help me with that. See my introduction posting of 1-21-08 to explain my interest. :up:

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:11

Peter, unless it was not a one-off Porsche, it was probably the car that Bob Staples and Ed Walsh drove to 27th overall [6th in FM] in the 1959 Road America 500. It was called Porsche Durlite Mark 3 and raced under #77. Bob Staples started the race. I have not tracked down his domicile yet, but Walsh was from St. Louis
all research Willem Oosthoek.

#5 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:14

The same Bob Staples finished 4th overall in the 1958 RA 500, with a Porsche 550RS and Luke Stear co-driving. Same car but before the Webb modifications? The results list both men as Indianapolis residents. So Bob Webb, who does not show in any of the race results I have for that era, is likely to have been a Midwest-based fabricator.

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:09

The names Durlite and Duralite always intrigued me, so close but what the heck was the connection? Durlite was linked to a Porsche 550, while Duralite was the name that came with Roger Penske's 1962 Zerex-Duralite Special, the cheater car so successful in the West Coast series that year. The Zerex Spl [the Duralite part was soon dropped by Penske] was based on a former Cunningham Cooper Formula One chassis. Its sportscar body was built by....... Bob Webb of Indianapolis, with help from Harry Tidmarsh of Philadelphia.

#7 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 17:18

The February 2008 edition of 911 & Porsche World magazine has a 6-page full colour feature on the car. It is apparently for sale by classic car dealer Jan Luehn in Brussels after being totally restored by two Germans. Webb, who built the car from the scraps of his brand new 550 Spyder after totalling it in its first race, is said to have been 'obsessed with airflow, so had Durlite (who had previously built a car for him) create a cheese-wedge-shaped bodyshell with snipped off Kamm tail.'

Good article, well worth buying the mag just for this feature alone, let alone the Hans Hermann interview and a feature on Steve McQueen's Porsches.

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 18:37

Felix:
Whatever the article claims, it is very unlikely that Bob Webb owned and raced the Durlite Porsche. The write-up seems to be one of those fantasy efforts by someone in sales, not familiar with the U.S. racing scene and destined to make things up. Webb was a fabricator and builder of bodies, not a racer. He was more in tune with the Indy 500 crowd than with the sporty car owners, although he did work for them, as the Durlite Porsche and Zerex-Duralite Special indicate. Based on the Road America results already listed, it was Webb's fellow Indianapolis resident Bob Staples who owned and raced the car.

Another example: yesterday I talked to Dave Causey and asked him why his 1959 Birdcage Maserati had such an unusual tail. It was pointy, very unlike all other customer Tipo 61 cars. Causey asnwered he did not want to race a bathtub and that he designed a prettier tail for his Birdcage after it was delivered. When asked who did the work he said: Bob Webb.

#9 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 19:21

The author of the article happens to be Johnny Tippler, who is hardly a salesman... Certainly, he seems convinced that Webb raced in SCCA events between at least 1956 and 1958. This seems to tie in with the initial posting by this thread's originator:

late Bob Webb, who raced a rebodied 550A Porsche Spyder

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 19:44

Felix:
This seems to be a case of the blind leading the blind. Please share with us one case where Bob Webb raced a Porsche.

#11 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 20:07

Your haste to post obviously leads you to miscomprehend:

I wrote, clearly (and rather slowly), that Tippler is convinced, and the originator of the thread believes, that Webb raced in SCCA events between 1958 and 1958/9. So why on earth call on me to prove anything: I have not asserted anything in this regard.

If you're anxious to have something (dis) proven, call upon on those who made the statements...

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 20:57

Felix: You are right. I should have only said according to all records of racing in the U.S. in the 50's I can't find any mention or result with Bob Webb's name in them. I can find plenty of people who knew him as a fabricator and body builder. You don't have to show me anything.
I would like to see the results for any race Mr. Tippler has Bob Webb racing a Porsche in.

#13 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 22:17

Sincere thanks to all you who have responded to my original query concerning Bob Webb and the Durlite Porsche. You are great examples of how this site can help researchers and writers such as myself.

I am aware of the new article by Mr. Tippler in 911/PW, but the February issue has not yet landed on my local Borders' shelf, so I haven't had a chance to read it.

Learning from you that Mr. Webb hailed from Indianapolis is a big step to uncovering more about his racing career and history of the car.

It appears that the car that Jan has for sale is the "Durlite II", based on a small entry in Vintage Motorsport's hardbound "Road Racing Specials" which includes photos of both cars.

Does the Tippler article mention the first car?

Cheers!

Peter Linsky

#14 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 22:25

Peter, about Durlite 1 Tippler writes:

'He'd previously had Durlite fabricate a special-bodied sports-racer known as the Durlite Mk1, which competed in SCCA events between 1956 and 1958, running a standard 1500 Porsche engine, so had a fair idea of what he wanted to achieve when he set about rebuilding the crashed 550 Spyder.'

That's it...

#15 Updraught

Updraught

• 55 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 22:33

Hi Jerry:

FYI, "Larry Tidmarch" of Philadelphia is "Harry Tidmarsh", a superior body builder/metal worker/fabricator in business to this day.

Regards

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 23:38

Updraft: It is corrected above. Thank you very much for straightening out my typo.
Gentlemen, in spite of all the convaluted statements in the article and Jan's advertisement, isn't it clear that Bob Webb and Durlite are one and the same? It was Webb's corporate identify. All this nonsense of Webb having Durlite make him a body is plain silly.

#17 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 00:27

I worked for Jaguar Midwest Distributors on North Meridian Street in Indianapolis, owned by Jack Ensley and Pat Murphy, on weekends when I was in high school in Indianapolis. This would be in 1955 or '56 -- I worked as a lot boy, washing cars, moving them around, etc.

The Porsche Durlite Special was kept in the back shop area, and I had a chance to look at it pretty carefully. I was very impressed, and still remember it, because frame tubes, pedals, and small tubes and such had all been drilled out for lightness.

I also remember Bob Webb, but only vaguely. He was definitely not the driver of the car. At the time it wasn't the "Mk I" -- it was simply the Durlite Special. I suppose when a second one was built the first one acquired the Mk I designation only retrospect.

#18 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:32

Thanks, Cynic2! While my immediate interest is in the second car, does anyone have a clue as to what became of the first Durlite-bodied chassis? Does anyone have a clue as to the driver of the first car?

#19 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 22:32

Car at Goodwood Revival
Posted Image
Posted Image
Photos copyright Roger Lund.
RL

Advertisement

#20 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 00:46

Thanks, BW! Kinda ungainly from the rear, isn't it?

If Roger Lund is out there, did you bring home a program and entry list that would detail the owner/driver?

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:05

[i]Originally posted by Peter Linsky If Roger Lund is out there, did you bring home a program and entry list that would detail the owner/driver? [/B]

Always do;
Revival 2003. Race; Madgwick Cup car 28
Entrant Heinz Kausen; Driver Albert Otten; car dated 1959; Porsche 550RS Durlite; 1588cc
No idea of the placing
RL

#22 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:35

Outstanding, RL - I appreciate the information.

PCL

#23 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:42

Originally posted by Peter Linsky
Does anyone have information concerning the late Bob Webb, who raced a rebodied 550A Porsche Spyder
known as the Durlite Special, circa 1959-62? Webb is believed to have passed away in the mid 1980s. I'd like to learn where he lived, which SCCA region he competed in, his competition record in this car and any period racing photos that might be laying about. You can reach me directly at linsky911@comcast.net Thank you!

There is a 3 and 2/3 page article, with 9 pics, on the Durlite (Mk.I) in the August 1959 of SCI. Mentioned, is its first race at the Lawrenceville, Illinois national.

August 1960's SCI has 3 and 1/3 pages (6 pics) on the Mk.III....again built by Webb, but this time financed by Dean and Dave Causey and sold to Chuck Rickert of Indianapolis.

#24 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:59

Many thanks, Gerr! I think I have access to those issues.

#25 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:57

Some of Martin Krejci's results for Chuck Rickert:

7.9.1958, 500 mile Road America, 3rd, Porsche RS Spyder, Dean Causey/Chuck Rickert
13.9.1959, 500 mile Road America, 14th, Porsche 718 RSK, Dave Causey/Chuck Rickert
11.9.1960, 500 mile Road America, 5th, Porsche 718 RSK, Dean Causey/Chuck Rickert
8.9.1963, 500 mile Road America, 14th, Porsche 718 RSK, Chuck Rickert/Sam Eller

Vince H.

#26 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 15:50

Except that in 1959 Rickert co-drove with Dean Causey as well. Dean was the entrant in 1958, 1959 and 1960, and from the descriptions of the cars they were standard 550RS [1958] and RSK models [1959 and 1960]. No sign of Rickert in the 1961 RA 500, where Dean shared his RSK with twin brother Dave.

#27 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 15:58

Posted Image
Parked between the M.B. Scarab and the Mecom GTO, the red #10 Fubar Porsche Special entered by Rickert in the 1963 RA 500. He ran the same car in the 1962 edition.
However, in 1962 Rickert reappears for the first time with a customized Porsche, called the Fubar Special and shared with Bill Kirtley. A photo of the red car taken during the 1963 RA 500 shows a rather different front treatment from the Durlite Special, with two nose openings a la the Elva Mk 6.
all research Willem Oosthoek.- photo Willem Oosthoek collection.

#28 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 18:13

This forum is a gold mine!

#29 Peter Linsky

Peter Linsky

• 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:04

Since Rickert's FUBAR Porsche has entered into the discussion, does anyone know if that particular car still exists?

#30 LLP

LLP

• 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 23:32

Hello everyone,

I've read this thread with avid interest - since I am Bob Webb's daughter. I originaly responded to Peter to let him know I do have information regarding the Duralite along with a slew of other info regarding my dad.

I've had a box of water and time damaged photos and newspaper articles tucked away for years. Immediately after responding to Peter I went and drug the box out of a closet. To my surprise, the items are in fairly good shape. There are pictures of the duralite in various stages from frame only, body fabrication and completed car taken in our garage in Indianapolis, Indiana.

I also have race programs 1956 and on, newspaper articles, small trade publications and several interesting letters. One is from an Australian gentleman requesting that my father build two versions of the Duralite for him - one based on the 1498cc Porsche engine, and one on the 'new' 1500 cc engine.

I'm only halfway thru this box. There appear to be more pictures and newspaper articles.

I could also use some information please. My dad built a car he called the Excalibur. I remember seeing slides of it at a car show, possibly New York? It was a beautiful deep bright red. If anyone has info on this car, please pass along to me.

Also, I believe I have in progress pictures of some of the Causey brothers' cars my father was experimenting with. These cars have fins on the rear fenders and have a rounded shape directly behind the drivers head If either of them are still around, or their children I'd like to pass these along to them if they have an interest.

Regards,
Linda

#31 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:41

Posted Image
Dave Causey in his youth
Hi Linda: Welcome to the forum. What is it Durlite or Duralite, and what did it stand for? Dave Causey was at the CanAm reunion in 2006 at Elkhart Lake and is doing fine.
photo Rob Neuzel- www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#32 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:22

Jerry,

In going through my notes, I have Don Sesslar connected with the Duralite (this is how my notes have it, not Durlite) Special stored at Jaguar Midwest. Could this be the car in which he won the F/Modified National Championship in 1959?

I've also been wondering if the Causeys were the two brothers I met about the same time who lived up near Carmel -- I had relatives who owned land on 116th St, which was almost all farmland then. These brothers had installed a modified Ford flathead in a Ferguson tractor. The bolt pattern from the bell housing was the same. (We did a lot of that sort of stuff as kids then -- a Chevy in a Jaguar 120, Chevy in an Austin Healy 100, and a 1957 Olds W-2 engine in an absolutely stock-looking 1950 Olds Club Coupe, as street-racing bait.) Days -- and cars -- which will never come again.

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 13:23

Sorry if this has been posted before:
http://www.janluehn....k/17/stock.html

#34 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 13:35

Posted Image
Carl Haas in his younger days racing the 1958 version of Brooks Stevens Excalibur.
Hal Ullrich and Carl Haas took it to 13th overall in the 1958 Road America 500.

Linda: It looks as though the 50s race programs and reports used the phonetic version of the name Duralite, hence the ongoing existence of the word Durlite.
Excalibur was an early 50s design by Brooks Stevens. In fact, I just read that in 1952 there were three of them: a white, a red and a blue Excalibur. The later versions were all white. Periodic upgrades were introduced in 1958 and 1963. I always understood they were built at Brooks Stevens's design studio, but the talents of your dad would have been just what the designer needed.
A bit of trivia on Brooks Stevens is that in 1936 he invented the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

Cynic: Dave Causey still runs his dairy farm in Carmel, Indiana.
all research Willem Oosthoek
photo Willem Oosthoek collection - scanned for site Laurie Williamson.

#35 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:12

Posted Image
This interesting coupe was Brooks Stevens's 1963 Excalibur Hawk.
Luke Stear and Neil Payton ran it in the 1963 Road America 500 but retired.
photo Willem Oosthoek collection-scanned for site Laurie Williamson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 20 August 2009 - 20:29.

#36 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:08

Originally posted by Cynic2
In going through my notes, I have Don Sesslar connected with the Duralite (this is how my notes have it, not Durlite) Special stored at Jaguar Midwest. Could this be the car in which he won the F/Modified National Championship in 1959?

I've also been wondering if the Causeys were the two brothers I met about the same time who lived up near Carmel --

No, Sesslar won the 1959 FM National Championship in a Porsche 718 RSK. Yes, the Causeys were twin brothers from Carmel, Indiana.
Tom

#37 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:13

Posted Image
Bob McKee and Dave Causey at the 2006 CanAm Reunion.
photo Tom Schultz.

#38 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:49

Originally posted by RA Historian
No, Sesslar won the 1959 FM National Championship in a Porsche 718 RSK. Yes, the Causeys were twin brothers from Carmel, Indiana.
Tom

Thanks -- I wasn't sure on Sesslar's car.

I know the Causeys were twins who lived near Carmel; I grew up in Broad Ripple, not all that far away. I'm just wondering if they were the same brothers I met in 1957 or '58.

#39 Racer95

Racer95

• 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 19:31

Hi guys, I am very interested in this discussion especially the reference to the Causey twins.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who knows them or could tell me about their specials, which they built in the 1960s fitted with Ford twin cam motors.

I understand four were built but cannot fuind out any other information other than the Porsche powered version being run by Mike Kaske.

Advertisement

#40 LLP

LLP

• 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 18:51

My gosh this forum truly is a goldmine!

Jerry, thanks for the great photos! The Excalibur Hawk is the car from my far distant memory .. nice to see it again. In 1963 I would have been 6 years old. I seem to recall living in a small trailer on Brooke Stevens design compound and seeing this car. I think my father did some of the fabrication, but I can't swear to it.

In the mish mash of photos I mentioned in my first post, I found a cover of the 1958 issue of Clutch Chatter. Evidently the car on the cover is my fathers' Durlite with him driving. Gotta love the artistic picture - can't see much of the car. I do see what look more like fins on the back then the rounded rear fenders we see in other pictures. Perhaps another version of it?

Durlite wasn't an airplane company as is being thrown about on the sites currently advertising the restored version of the 550 Durlite Spyder. It was a term my father coined to describe his method of lightening up the car, frame up to make it faster and more responsive. It also allowed more flexability in frame design, allowing better aerodynamics when it came time to fabricate the body. Funny how some things always stick in your head - I can hear him saying this. :) I also repeatedly hear "brake before the turn not in it! Accelerate out!" He was darn adamant about that one. LOL

Anyway, below is the cover of Clutch Chatter. I'm also starting a new thread (Bob Webb - Fabricator) with a few other photos I've been able to salvage. Interesting stuff! Seems he even built his own racing bike using his 'Durlite' method.

Posted Image

#41 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 20:15

I must have missed this thread :rolleyes:
This Porsche 550A Durlite MkIII was on display at the Antwerp Classic Salon in 2005.
I was able to take "some" pictures :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Copyright Luc Ghys