Photo

Elliott Shepard, racing driver (1876 - 1927)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 22:00

Less than a week ago it was not much that I did know about Elliott Shepard, racing driver.

AFAIK this is his record:
date			 event					 venue		 #  car			result

1906, Jun 26-27  Grand Prix de l’A.C.F.	Le Mans	  12C Hotchkiss HH   retired

1906, Oct 06	 W.K. Vanderbilt Cup	   Long Island   6  Hotchkiss HH   retired

1907, Jul 02	 Grand Prix de l’A.C.F.	Dieppe	   BC3 Clément-Bayard  9th

1907, Sep 02	 Coppa Velocita di Brescia Brescia	   4C Clément-Bayard retired

1908, Sep 06	 Coppa Florio			  Bologna	  16  Clément-Bayard retired
I read he was a rich amateur racer with connections to the famous Vanderbilt family.

After some intensive googling I found more than I expected (although I’m still not certain whether he was Elliot or Elliott).

Indeed he was a cousin to William Kissam Vanderbilt II (1878 – 1944) because his mother Margaret Louisa Vanderbilt (1845 – 1924) was a sister to Willie K.’s father (1849 – 1920) [and also to Cornelius Vanderbilt II (1843 – 1899), the father of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt (1877 – 1915)]. Margaret was a daughter of William Henry Vanderbilt (1821 – 1885) and a grand daughter of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt (1794 – 1877).

You can get an overview about the Vanderbilts here (including a famous portrait painting of Margaret).

In 1868 Margaret Vanderbilt married Elliott Fitch Shepard (1833 – 1893).
Posted Image(picture credits)
Apparently their first daughter, Florence, who was born in 1869 only lived briefly. But they had five more children:
Maria Louise (1870 – 1948), later married to William Jay Schieffelin,
Edith (1872 – 1954), later married to Ernesto Giuseppe Fabbri,
Alice (1874 – 1950), later married to David Hennen Morris (1872 – 1944, founder of the Aero Club of America and of the Automobile Club of America),
Elliott Fitch Shepard, Jr. (1876 – 1927),
& Marguerite (1880 – 1895).

From an „New York Times“ article (1902) we learn something about Elliott Jr.’s youth:

The heir of the Shepards was early inclined to be wild and wayward. While hardly in his teens, stories were told of his escapades. On one occasion, it is said, he disappeared from school and was found in another city, and the tradition is that his father, after giving him a severe lecture, led him to the top story of one of the Vanderbilt houses and administered corporal punishment with a shingle in the good, old-fashioned way. But this story has never been confirmed.

His father, Colonel E.F. Shepard Sr., was known as a lawyer and a newspaper publisher (source).

SHEPARD, Elliott Fitch, lawyer, born in Jamestown, Chautauqua County, New York, 25 July, 1833. He was educated at the University of the city of New York, admitted to the bar in 1858, and for many years in practice in New York. In 1861 and 1862 he was aide-de-camp on the staff of Governor Edwin D. Morgan, was in command of the depot of volunteers at Elmira, New York, and aided in organizing, equipping, and forwarding to the field nearly 50,000 troops. He was instrumental in raising the 51st New York regiment, which was named for him the Shepard rifles. He was the founder of the New York State Bar Association in 1876, which has formed the model for the organization of similar associations in other states. In March, 1888, he purchased the New York "Mail and Express."

But there's also a different assessment (source).

Elliott Fitch Shepard, whose primary success in life came as a recruiter for the Union Army during the Civil War. Retiring from the military, he failed impressively at both law and banking. He opened a bank at Fifth Avenue and Forty-Second Street which he called "The Bank of Banks." This hubris prompted his father-in-law, William Henry Vanderbilt, to anonymously compose a bit of doggerel for the New York Times referring to Shepard as "The Crank of Cranks."

William Henry Vanderbilt died in 1885, leaving his daughter Maggie $10 million--most of which her husband Elliott managed to run through by the time of his death in various business ventures, including the purchase of New York's Mail and Express newspaper. Another financially expensive undertaking was the purchase of a 600-acre Hudson River estate from Butler Wright. The New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White was hired to design "Woodlea," a new 70,000 sq. ft. manor house that today serves as the Sleepy Hollow clubhouse.

Shepard died in 1893 in a bizarre accident while being examined for kidney disease. Widow Margaret finished the manor house project, hiring the sons of famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of Central Park to design the grounds.

The following snippets of Elliott Shepard Jr.’s life have been composed from various New York Times articles which can be found on the internet.

At the time of his father’s death Elliott Jr. (like three of his four sisters) was a minor. According to his father’s will his mother and his uncle (Augustus D. Shepard) were nominated as his guardians. But at the same time he was, with his mother and his uncle, made trustee of the residuary estate for the benefit of the children and executor of his father’s will although he was not to assume his powers as trustee and executor until he passed his 21st birthday. A peculiar feature in this connection was that while acting as one of the trustees for his sisters he was not to have any control over his own fifth interest.

Elliott Jr. got into a scrape at Yale in 1894, and notwithstanding the influence of the Vanderbilt family, he found it wiser to withdraw from the college and finish his studies under a tutor at Harvard.

He was, however, one of the matrimonial catches of the town. Therefore in April 1897 society was surprised by the announcement of his marriage to a Mrs. Esther Wiggins Potter when he was still only 20 years of age. His wife, the daughter of a storekeeper in Greenport, Long Island, was five years his senior. She had been fifteen or sixteen years old when she married Alfred Potter of Philadelphia. They separated after a year or two, and she went back to her home. When her husband died she came to New York. In the summer or autumn of 1896 she was introduced to Elliott who had just returned from a trip to Europe.

Elliott’s attentions to her had been most marked although unsuspected by his family. After the couple was married by a Justice of the Peace a religious ceremony was performed on April 10th. Mr. and Mrs. Shepard then went to the Plaza Hotel and sailed for Europe on April 15th. The New York Times wrote:

Though Mr. Shepard will have to depend on his mother’s generosity to live in anything approaching affluence, he already has sufficient income under the terms of his father’s will to support him in comfort. […] Heretofore Mrs. Shepard had shown great generosity to her only son, and people in a position to know say that she will continue to do so. When she learned that the young man was irrevocably committed by a civic marriage she insisted upon a religious ceremony, although she was too much prostrated by the news to attend it. The trip to Europe is said to be her suggestion

Mr. and Mrs. Shepard never figured in the fashionable world. Until the end of 1901 they were living in London and Paris. Elliott Shepard went into business in Paris, but was not successful. They were not in the least conspicuous in the gay capital. Stories of young Shepard’s financial embarrassment reached New York in 1901, and a sudden trip to Paris by his mother was said to be with the object of helping him.

When Elliott Shepard returned to the USA his wife followed him but visited relatives on Long Island. He was frequently with his mother, and, as his wife had never been received by the family, it was generally stated that a separation had taken place. In August 1902 his wife sued him for absolute divorce. After some time her case was dropped and although there were rumors of a reconciliation they eventually must have separated for good.

As always his mother was most generous to him. He again went to the French capital where he remained most of the time since. He made several business ventures in Paris, all of which resulted disastrously. He tried the liquor business, the banking business, and the manufacture of automobiles, and is said to have lost a fortune in each undertaking. His mother seems to have grown tired of providing capital for him, and at last succeeded in persuading him that he was not fitted for a business career.

On April 27th, 1905, he was driving a 17-hp Hotchkiss along the Avenue Michelet, St. Ouen, and ran over Madeline Marduel, a 12-year-old girl. In October 1905 he was tried in the Correctional Tribunal of the Seine. There was at the time a good deal of agitation against speeding, and Americans in particular were criticised. Maître Poincare, counsel for the prosecution, declared that it was time to stop wealthy Americans from racing about the country and killing peasants. The Judge, in giving sentence on October 26th, echoed the same sentiments and sentenced Shepard to three months' imprisonment, a fine ot $120, and also assessed him in $4,000 damages to the parents of the girl on the ground that the killed girl was a breadwinner.

Shepard appealed the decision. But only in January 1907 the case was settled. After the damages were paid the sentence was reduced to six weeks imprisonment. Shepard spent nine days in the model prison at Fresnes and subsequently the authorities agreed to pardon him on the payment of further $ 2.000.

Meanwhile, after the decision about his appeal had been suspended in March 1906, Elliott Shepard had taken part in no less race than the 1906 French Grand Prix. Maybe he thought if the authorities looked upon him as a racer he would prove it.

To be continued…

Sources: New York Times issues
12 Apr 1893, 13 Apr 1897, 13 Aug 1902, 27 Oct 1905, 13 Mar 1906, 7 Oct 1906, 18 Jan 1907

Advertisement

#2 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,311 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:14

Shepard and mechanic Charles "Baby" Lehman, Hotchkiss, 1906 GP de l'ACF/Le Mans:
http://img.prewarcar...tchkiss_500.jpg
and
http://www.artonline...C_1906_ACF_.jpg

Shepard was the fastest of the three Hotchkiss drivers, his teammates being Le Blon and Salleron.

Le Blon at the wheel of his Hotchkiss:
http://www.mediatheq...voiture-Hot.jpg
and his Hotchkiss during the scrutineering:
http://www.artonline...2A_1906_ACF.jpg

#3 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 20:03

Good stuff, Reinhard! :up:

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 20:00

Robert Dick has already posted links to pictures from the Grand Prix de l’A.C.F. 1906.
Here are links to the race itself: “firstsuperspeedway.com“, “mediatheque.ville-lemans.fr“.

From Edmond Cohin’s „L’Historique de la Course Automobile“ I can detract some statistics about Shepard’s efforts.
lap leader time		Shepard		 gap	  lap time

1  Baras	52.25,4   not among the top 11

2  Baras  1:45.00	 10th 1:58.45	13.45

3  Szisz  2:47.51	  5th 2:59.47,6  11.56,6  1:01.02,6

4  Szisz  3:44.04	  3rd 3:56.48,4  12.44,4	57.00,8

5  Szisz  4:41.25	  4th 5:16.43,4  35.18,4  1:19.55,0

6  Szisz  5:45.30,4	4th 6:30.45	45.14,6  1:14.01,6
At the end of the first day 17 cars were still in the race while 15 cars had retired. From William Court’s „Power and Glory“ (p. 9) is the following

After the race Shepard reckoned he had three tyre changes on the first day and that each one had taken him at least ten minutes longer than those with detachable rims ahead of him so that his was, on any account, a fine performance especially as he had had to stop and transfer some spokes to le Blon who had buckled a wheel.

On the second day of the great race Shepard’s car lasted only one lap until a wheel broke and he was out.

The New York Times didn’t mention Shepard’s participation in any special way (at least in those issues I have found online) but in preparation for the Vanderbilt Cup race they published the following article in the 9 September 1906 issue.

“I HAVE FASTEST CAR," SAYS E.F. SHEPARD
Young American Confident His French Machine Will Win Cup.
ADMITS DURAY IS FAVORITE
More Interest Abroad Than Ever in Vanderbilt Cup Race, Says Shepard on Arriving Here.

Elliott F. Shepard, who is to drive the 125 horse power Hotchkiss car in the Vanderbilt Cup race on the Long Island course on Oct. 6, arrived here early yesterday morning on the French Line steamship La Lorraine. He brought with him his mechanician, Charles Lehman, popularly known as the "Baby" in French automobile circles, and they will make their first tour of inspection over the cup course to-day.

"I have never been over the Long Island cup course," said Mr. Shepard, "and strange as it may seem I have never driven an automobile on Long Island. But I hope to do a lot of driving there before the big race." Mr. Shepard will be the only American driver on the French team, and the fact that he has been selected by the Hotchkiss car manufacturers to meet such sterling racing men as Duray, Lancia, Nazzaro, Collols, Clement, and other leaders in tests of skill abroad, is a tribute to his ability and judgment as a driver of a racing car. The young American's first appearance in a speed contest was last June in the Grand Prlx I contest, when he and his car furnished one of the surprises by finishing fourth the first day, but the wire wheels, breaking the second day, put the machine out of the race.

"What do I think of my chances for the Vanderbilt Cup?" exclaimed Shepard with a smile, when asked if he would speculate upon what his car might do. "Well, all I can say is that I have the fastest car. I have driven it on an average of 103 miles for 36 kilometres while in a flying sprint of three or four kilometres the car showed a speed of over 111 miles an hour. That expresses pretty well how I feel about it. Confident? Of course I am confident, or else I would not be here."

"The Hotchkiss car is regarded very favorably abroad, but I must confess that it is not the favorite among the foreign experts. Duray, with his De Dietrich, ruled as the favorite when I left, but there has practically been no betting on the outcome yet. Duray's recent victory in the Ardennes races has put him on top for the Vanderbilt Cup. He has a good car, and he knows how to handle it to perfection. So far as I know now, I shall fear him more than any of the other drivers. Nazzaro is picked for one of the first three positions in preference to Lancia. The latter is regarded as too reckless for a long-distance race. He drives to the limit and gets great speed out of his cars, but this very wild driving often puts him out before the race is ended. I expect to see Callois and Le Blon, who are to drive two of the American cars, make a good showing. I learn that their cars are modeled very closely after the Brasier type, which is but natural, as they have driven those cars and understand their characteristics thoroughly.“

Mr. Shepard is bringing two Hotchkiss with him. They were shipped on La Bretagne, which is due to-day. One is the same car that the young American used in the Grand Prix race. The wire wheels that were experimental and proved disastrous then have been removed and wooden wheels substituted with detachable tire rims. The new wheels weigh about 80 pounds more for each car than the lighter wire ones, said Mr. Shepard. As the car then was close to the weight limit of 2,204 pounds, it has been necessary to lighten the machine by taking off some weight from the frame, and this has been done during the past month at the factory.

"The two cars are so identical" said Mr. Shepard, "that with the same driver I do not believe there would be a fifth of a second difference between them. The second car has simply been brought over as a precaution in case an unforeseen accident should happen to one. Duplicate parts for every piece of mechanism have also been shipped."

Mr. Shepard was anxious to hear what the rules were for speeding the cars over the course, and was much gratified to learn that they would be allowed to try their speed from 5 to 7 o’clock in the morning, beginning on Wednesday.
"That suits me exactly," he added, "as nearly all of my fast driving in practice has been done before 6 in the morning."

Mr. Shepard hopes to get his cars unshipped and through the Custom House so as to give them a try out on Wednesday morning. He will probably make his permanent headquarters at the Garden City Hotel, close by the Hotchkiss training quarters in Garden City.

"There is more interest in this year’s Vanderbilt Cup race among French automobilists this season than ever before," said Mr. Shepard. "The great success of the past two races and the presence of the leading foreign drivers in the contest contribute to this feeling, but another cause is the fact that the Vanderbilt Cup race is practically the only out-and-out international automobile speed contest of the year. The abandonment of the Gordon Bennett Trophy robbed the Continental motor world of its real international competition. The Grand Prix did not fill the biIl. There is a great deal of doubt abroad as to what France will do for an automobile race next year. I do not believe the Gordon Bennett Cup will be revived, but there is sure to be a great change in the racing conditions."

Mr. Shepard said that the Panhard car which is to be driven by George Heath had not left the factory when he sailed. He also confirmed the rumor that there would probably be but two Mercedes cars in the contest, as the one entered by the Mercedes Company is likely to be withdrawn. That will leave Robert Graves's car, to be driven by Jenatzy, and Foxhall Keene's car, to be driven by himself, as the only German representatives.
Mr. Shepard will return to France immediately after the race, as his passage has been engaged on La Lorraine for Oct. 10.

Unfortunately in the race Shepard was involved in a fatal crash. Watch out: There are some graphic details in the race report in the 7 October 1906 issue of the New York Times:

E.F. SHEPARD’S AUTO KILLS A SPECTATOR
Strikes Him at Mineola -- The Racing Machine Keeps On.
SEVERAL OTHERS INJURED
Dr. Weilschott and His Mechanician Thrown When Their Machine Is Wrecked Near Manhasset.

One man was killed and several other spectators were hurt by the racing automobilists contending for the Vanderbilt Cup yesterday. The dead man was Kurt L. Gruner of Passaic, N.J., Superintendent of the starching department of former Mayor McLean's mosquito netting factory at Passaic. He was killed by Elliott F. Shepard, whose father married a daughter of Commodore Vanderbilt.

Mr. Shepard was driving a 130-horse-power Hotchkiss car at the rate of seventy miles an hour at the place where the cup race course crossed the Long Island Railroad track at Krug's Corner, near Mineola, when the accident happend. Mr. Gruner was in a crowd which had surged upon the road, and he was unable to get out of the way in time. He was knocked by the left forward corner of Mr. Shepard's car to one side and thrown against a woman with such force that she was whirled into a field ten yards away.

Mr. Gruner, who was probably killed instantly, was thrown against a telegraph pole with great force. His skull was crushed and he was almost torn to pieces. Mr. Shepard’s car bounded off, already having been thrown in the air by the Long Island Road's rails, and went on with a swoop, probably outdistancing the scream of the horrified crowd. Several women fainted.

The woman who was struck by Gruner was unhurt except for several bruises. She was made hysterical, however, by the accident and had to be led away by friends.

Shepard's Second Accident.
Mr. Shepard, who had the misfortune to kill a girl in one of the French races a year ago, kept on after the accident as if nothing had occurred. Indeed, everybody in the crowd realized that he had not seen what happened.. The great Hotchkiss racer in its run past the grand stand called out the hearty applause of the crowd.

Mr. Shepard was at the Garden City Hotel last night. He said he did not know that his machine had hurt anybody until he reached the garage at East Norwich. Then he found that there was something the matter with the crank of his machine, and stopped to see what the trouble was. It was found that the crank had been bent. His mechanician then told Mr. Shepard that his car had hit some one and that he believed it was a man. Mr. Shepard telephoned to Chairman Thompson of the Automobile Association's Racing Board, asking him to try to find cut whether any one had been hit. Learning what lad happened Mr. Shepard then withdrew from the race.
Mr. Shepard expressed great regret at the accident. No action of any kind been taken against him late last night. The committee got the names and addresses of severa! witnesses, who all said that the accident was entirely unavoidable as far as Mr. Shepard was concerned. The Automobile Association, under whose auspices the race was given, is absolved from any suits that might be brought for damages, as the entrants of competing cars are required to shoulder all responsibility for accidents.

Even after Mr. Gruner had been killed the crowd at Krug's Corner kept pressing upon the course, which at the particular point where Mr. Gruner was struck was not guarded by any wire fence, and the constables and deputies had almost as much trouble as before.

What might be expected front the speeding cars at this corner was made evident right at the start. Harding came swooping around the dreaded curve only to slew around across the track on the far side as his brakes bound and would not release. Close upon him was Christie, pushing his fifty horse power car to its limit. The frantic wavings of the flag men and the cries of the crowd warned him, but he was unable to check the speed of his car until he had swept around the turn and was headed straight for the stalled Harding.

Then those near enough to see what was happening witnessed a brave and coolheaded piece of steering on.the part of Christie which not only saved him from accident, but also probably saved a score of lives. Christie's car just grazed the wire netting behind which the crowd was so densely packed that it could not escape. He turned the car almost at right angles after touching the netting, and brought his car to a stop directly across the rear of Harding's car, with only inches separating them. It was a hard test, and the crowd cheered Christie again and again as he got his car straightened out swiftly and shot ahead without loss of time.

No. 13 Figures.
Harding was driving the car that was virtually the number 13 of the list, although that numeral had been omitted because regarded as of ill-omen. Curiously enough Harding was the thirteenth man to make the turn which was the thirteenth angle of the course. From that time on the mysterious number held supreme sway over the list of unfortunate happenings at this point. The Frenchman, Le Blon, in the Thomas flier, burst his tires as he rounded the turn in the second lap in thirteenth place, and he was obliged to come almost to a standstill. Harding’s tires burst also as he made the turn on his sixth lap in thirteenth place. He was laid up for five minutes, but with a display of bravado that amused the spectators he started again with a freshly lighted cigarette between his lips.

The place which had won the name of being the most dangerous spot on the course,during the elimination trials of two weeks ago was the attraction again for those who gathered early to view the racers. The arrangements about the little cross roads hotel, from which the curve takes its name were much improved by the supervision of Theodore K. Hastings, of the staff of official couriers. Courier Hastings kept his post at the turn all through the race, and he worked valiantly with the police and Sheriffs. It as in keeping the crowd from closing in at the ends of the wire-netting alley, especially that end toward the grand stand, and which led to the speeding stretch, that the guards proved nearly powerless. As Lancia made the turn for the first time, and with his mechanician, Fagnany, beheld the dense mass of people in front of him, the two Italians rose up in their seats and shook their fists in the faces of the crowd and cursed.

All of the other foreigners wildly gesticulated at the crowd as they sped by, but the crowd only laughed and thought it a part of the show. Le Blon, Jenatzy, and Nazzaro dared not take the risk of cutting into the mass of people, and as they made the turn they shut off power and neared the crowd with brakes grinding until a lane had been opened for them to pass through.

On th second round three of the foreigners attempted to give the crowd a scare which would keep them back. Lancia was the first to essay the trial. He kept his motor going at full speed, and as he entered the crowded path he swung his ponderous car from side to side in a zigzag, which sent men, women, and boys running and tumbling into the ditches at the side of the road. It was a dare-devil piece of work, and it was a miracle that no lives were lost in its performance. Wagner, the victorious driver, was the next to teach a lesson. He let go his steering wheel and sought to push and strike spectators out of the way. After him came Duray, who was destined for third place, and the French driver purposely made a wide swing around the curve, so that he cut a wide angle through the crowd, causing it to scatter and clear the track for the moment. But it was as if a trail had been made through water, for soon the daring crowd was back on the track.

Crowd Still Careless.
Toward the close of the contest the police did nothing to safeguard the crowd, and after Lancia and Wagner had passed on their last lap there was a general overrunning of the course, so that Jenatzy and Duray, the last two to finish, had to make their way thorugh as best they could.

The wet surface of the track and the crowd caused nearly all of the drivers to make the dangerous turn at slow speed. The most thrilling of the turns was that at the beginning of the second lap, when Jenatzy, Heath, Cagno, Nazzaro, Lancia, Le Blon, and Luytgen all passed within yards of one another. Tracy, in his locomobile, came close after this bunch, but he never caught up with them. Every time he passed he was cheered, and the crowd was with him in his plucky effort, although they hampered him more than they did the foreigners. The spectators gave an exhibition of daring recklessness at this point of the course that almost equaled the cool-headed work of the racing men. That more were not killed was certainly a wonder.

Mr. Shepard's accident at Krug's Corner was nearly duplicated by Tracy on the round following his record-breaking performance. He was bent on equaling his great figures and was going at a fine pace over the first six miles. His wonderful speed made his arrival at the various points a trifle ahead of what was expected, and he approached the curve into the North Hempstead Turnpike at East Norwich when the crowd was not prepared for him.

The curve is a wide one and can be taken at speed, but it was lessened by the usual crowding of foolhardy persons on the outer rim of the turn. Tracy's approach was signaled, and the crowd cheered as he swung into view around the bend. But the cheer was quickly hushed as it was seen that the wheels failed to hold on the loose dirt banked up to prevent excessive skidding. The car swayed violently to the right and swung along at an oblique angle toward the 200 or more persons gathered there watching it.

There was a wild rush to safety, but all were not quick enough, and three men and a thirteen-year-old boy were struck a broadside blow by the sliding car. All four went down. The men picked themselves up; two walked and one ran away. The boy, Ralph Baldwin of Norwalk, Conn., however lay still unconscious. He was picked up and carried into the East Norwich Hotel, that stands beside the road. and his uncle, Dr. W. H. Baldwin, a dentist of Norwalk, who was one of those knocked down, attended him. He was soon brought back to consciousness. Both his ankles were broken, and one leg was broken in three places. It is also feared that he sustained internal injuries. He was made as comfortable as possible and taken to Oyster Bay. There he was carried aboard a yacht in which the party came over to see the races, and taken to his home, attended by Dr. James Hall of Oyster Bay.

Grazed by Tracy's Auto.
Tracy’s machine came near creating more trouble by grazing the automobile owned by M. Sexton of Northport, L. I., which stood beyond the group on the side of the road. There was a large party in the tonneau of the touring car, and all were thrown down from the seats on which they were standing and badly frightened by the shock.

The locomobile righted itself quickly and was again under control and sped on up the track.

The accident that put Dr. Weilschott out of the race on his first round of the course might easily have been much worse. Four boys were slightly hurt, as it came out. Two of the boys remained to watch the rest of the race. The others, Robert Ten Eyck of Jamaica and John Brooks of Port Washington, were taken to their homes. The machine was wrecked.

Dr. Weilschott, who is a wealthy Italian automobile enthusiast, was driving his car down the steep grade of Spinney Hill, near Lower Manhasset, when his steering gear became clogged and the car ran wild. After narrowly grazing a grandstand filled with sightseers and running into a group of boys in front of the stand, it turned and headed into a telegraph pole, demolishing itself and throwing driver and mechanician into a flower bed thirty feet ahead. In an instant there was wild confusion, as it was thought both men were killed, but each picked himself up quickly and appeared more concerned over the fate of the machine than over their own injuries.

The grade was the same that brought Mongini to a similar end in the elimination race two weeks ago. It had come to be known to the drivers as "the Dip of Death." It occurs just after the cars leave the North Hempstead Turnpike and swing into the stretch from Manhasset to Lakeville. The Manhasset Hill approaches it and the Spinney Hill is the descent. To make it more fearsome there is a spiral curve at the end of the chute that requires a steady nerve and a practiced hand.

Dr. Weilschott was driving his car at high speed and was doing splendidly. He was eleventh in order, although fourteenth at the start, when the cars reached the Hairpin. Here he did a daring bit of steering and passed Cagno's car that preceded him. Ascending the hill to Manbasset and Colombo, his mechanician was driving the car for all there was in it, and their descent was begun at a fair speed. It was then that in spite of brakes the car gained great impetus. At the end of the chute the gear locked.

Dr. Weilschott Stopped.
On one side of the sharp curve at the botom is a high bank, and on the other a more gradual slope. The Rockert cottage, used as the Manhasset jail, is on this side, and a grand stand was erected on the ground. It was not until this was approached that the difficulty with the gear was discovered. It was then too late to utter a warning cry. Dr. Weilschott threw all his weight on the wheel and succeeded in swerving it a trifle and managed to miss the flagman stationed at the point. As it was, the red flag that signaled "Car coming!" was torn out of his hand and the car ran on to the stand. There was a tearing sound as it scraped along the guarding fence and a deep cut where its axle cut into the boards.

The four boys were standing at the end of the stand. They tried to rush back, but two bicycles stacked up against the stand were struck and smashed and hurled into the group. It was these that really hurt the boys. The car then turned violently on the other side, the axle striking a telegraph pole in passing and hurling both occupants out. The swerve sent it over the embankment, where it turned turtle as it struck the ground below. Dr. Weilschott telephoned in to the grand stand that his car was out of it. He then went back to the wrecked car, tears of vexation and bitter disappointment filling his eyes as he said: "I had set every store on this race, hoping to win even against the high-class competitors entered. And this the result - out of it without making one round."

At Hairpin Curve.
The much-talked-of dangers of the Hairpin Turn, in Old Westbury, and the expectation of some accident there, attracted a large crowd to that point. While the crowd was gathering in the hours preceding the race there was a steady string of automobiles turning off the Jericho Turnpike into the roads leading to the famous curve. In its expectation of an accident the crowd was fortunately disappointed, but the position offered a rare vantage point from which to view the racers. All the drivers, however, had acquainted themselves with the dangerous stretch, and they took it with ex-treme caution.

The "hairpin" is formed by two roads lying nearly parallel and joined by a semicircle less than twenty yards in diameter. The approach to it was straight enough to enable the crowd to see the cars approach and slow down, to watch them skid around the sharp curves, and start away on the excellent straight course that leads from it to Mineola Avenue. In the peninsula formed within the diverging roads a parking space was offered that was completely filled by automobiles, and for a quarter mile on either side of the apex the crowd lined the track.
The only machine that came to grief there at any time was the locomobile. Tracy blew out a plug immediately after making his fifth turn and was held up for two minutes while a new one was inserted. He was fortunately away before any of his followers were upon him.

There was great excitement at each reappearance of Wagner, Lancia, and Jenatzy after the fifth lap. They were never separated by more than two minutes at the turn up to this point, and there was keen interest in watching for the leader. Jenatzy held the lead until the sixth lap, when he was passed by both Lancia and Wagner, then Wagner passed Lancia on one lap, but the Italian again assumed the lead on the eighth lap and led to the end.

On the ninth turn, when the result of the race hung in the balance, the three came around the curve so close together that a car could scarcely have been placed between two of the racers. Each was striving his uttermost to gain the advantage at the curve all the way down from Bull's Head, and Wagner and Jenatzy all but overhauled Lancia. Once in the straight the Fiat drew ahead, and it was here that Wagner let out a tremendous burst of speed and made up a good part of the three minutes that he gained on the final lap.

To be continued

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 19:52

This is for Reinhard, who kindly sent me a PM about Shepard.

I had presumed, when reading this fascinating story, that he had all the details regards our hero already but I'm happy to fill in the following gaps:

ELLIOTT FITCH SHEPARD (spelt as so, two t's)
was born on the 13th October 1876, in New York City, New York, USA.
For those that are subscribers to Ancestry - his passport application is below:
http://content.ances...rc=&pid=1425030

It was issued as he was going to London (47 Duke Street as it happens), and for those without ancestry, his height was 6ft 2 & a half inches (quite tall for a racer!), eyes were bluish-grey, nose is "regular", mouth is "small", chin is "square" and hair is dark brown!!!! All important details, I'm sure :lol:

This passport was issued in 1897, and he had already married his wife Esther by then. Note - he was married twice - firstly to Esther Wiggins Porter, then Eleanor Terradell that has been mentioned previously.

As to EFS' demise, again, some of you may be able to read this link - an obituaries page from The New York Times:
http://content.ances...src=&pid=736196
http://content.ances...src=&pid=736218

For those that can't - the basics are that EFS died, in Miami, Florida, on 10 April 1927.

A later passport was issued in 1925, where his place of residence was New York City still.

Hope that helps, Rewind and happy to help. :wave:

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 20:50

Just what I had hoped for! :clap:

Many thanks, Richie! :up:

#7 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 22:00

Hotchkiss, a French ammunition factory at St. Denis, 6 km north of Paris, had been founded in 1870 by an American called Benjamin Hotchkiss (1826 – 1885). Since May 1900 it filled in the slack period of peace by making motor components for Panhard et Levassor, then de Dietrich, de Dion-Bouton, Charron, C.G.V. and finally Girardot. On 31 July 1902 it was decided to take up car production. Curiously the new department was entrusted to American engineer Laurence Vincent Benet (1863 – 1948) who had come to France nearly 20 years ago but objected to the project. Nevertheless his rigour and competence enabled him to manhandle his new task and to set the origin of the prosperity of the automobile branch.

Under his guidance the production started at the beginning of 1904 with a first range including types C, D, and A, with respectively 18, 35 and 70 HP followed by the type E, an imposing racing car of 80 HP developed by former Mors designer Georges Terrasse and built with three specimens.

The competition was indeed one of the major objectives of the very young marque which intended to establish itself on this difficult terrain. Indeed in 1903 Hotchkiss already had registered three cars at the Paris – Madrid race but the cars (which were to approach 100 HP) weren’t ready in time.

The type E and also the following types H and HH which appeared in 1905 and 1906 were not as successful as the Hotchkiss management had hoped. In the French elimination race for the Gordon Bennett Cup in May 1904 none of three type E cars reached the finish. One year later Hubert Le Blon who in July 1904 at least had been fifth in the Circuit des Ardennes (behind three Panhards and one Clément-Bayard) could only manage 7th place in the French elimination race which meant that Hotchkiss would not take part in the Gordon Bennett Cup race which in 1905 was held in the Auvergne.

In the 1906 Grand Prix de l’A.C.F. all three Hotchkiss cars retired. And after Shepard’s crash in the Vanderbilt Cup race it had to be realized that the sporting prize list didn’t have anything glorious. So, at the end of 1906 L.V. Benet decided in all logic to suspend any participation of the marque in competition. (source, see also here)

The withdrawal of Hotchkiss obviously meant that Shepard was out of a drive for the following year.

But it seems he capitalized on a tragedy that happened during the preparations for the 1907 Grand Prix de l’A.C.F. when Albert Clément crashed fatally. Since Albert was the son of the founder of Clément-Bayard, Adolphe Clément, it comes as no surprise that the firm withdrew from the race. At least this is what the New York Times reported just days before the race in the 30 June 1907 issue:

GRAND PRIX AUTOS RACE THIS WEEK
Christie Will Be Only American Representative in Big French Contest.
CARS FROM SIX NATIONS
Fastest Machines and Best Drivers in World to Compete - Circuit Guarded by Army of Soldiers.

American autoists have a deep personal interest this year in the big speed contest of the Automobile Club of France known as the Grand Prix, which will be run on Tuesday over the Dieppe course. Among the thirty-one racing cars especially built for the event will be Walter Christie's front drive racer, the only motor car of its kind ever seen in Europe. This will be America's only representative among the best cars from the Continental factories. Christie understands his car perfectly. He tried it out thoroughly on Long Island roads before sailing for Europe, and he intends to drive it himself in the 500-mile contest, meeting such famous racing chauffeurs as Lancia, Nazzaro, the winner of both the Florio and the German Emperor's cup races this season; Wagner, last year’s Vanderbilt cup winner; George Heath, Duray, Jenatzy, Szisz, the Grand Prix winner last year; Le Blon, Gabriel, Hanriot, and Rougier. With Mr. Christie will be Louis Strang, as mechanic, who rode with Christie in the Vanderbilt cup race last year.

This is the first time in three years that an American has entered one of the big speed contests of Europe, and if Christie gets a place among the first half dozen it will be a big triumph for Christie's radical methods of construction. His new car is a vast improvement over his racing machine last year, which was smashed by running into a telegraph pole while practicing on the Vanderbilt Cup course. Its four cylinders develop 130 horse power, and yet it will be the lightest machine in the contest, weighing but 1,800 pounds. The old weight restriction has been eliminated in the conditions this year, the main requirement being one of fuel consumption, an average of 6.6 gallons per 62.1 miles being allowed, or about 52 gallons for the entire distance. The Dieppe course, which is triangular in shape, measures about 49 ½ miles and it will be circled ten times, thus making the total race five miles short of 500 miles. Lancia, with his Fiat, will be the first to start, leaving at 6 o’clock in the morning, and Christie drew number 12, but as the three Clement-Bayard cars have been withdrawn, owing to the recent death of young Albert Clement while practicing for the contest, Christie will be the eleventh man to leave.

To police the course, the French Government has given the use of 5,000 soldiers. In the open portions a soldier will be on guard on each side of the course at intervals of every 100 yards, while in the villages this force will be more than doubled. This is the way the French Government takes care of its big motor contest, and the drivers will be relieved of the harrowing necessity of looking out for overflowing crowds of spectators upon the course, as was the case here last year in the running of the Vanderbilt Cup race.

While the entries are by no means as large as in the German Emperor's Cup race, faster time will undoubtedly be made, as no restriction is placed upon cylinder capacity. Jenatzy is quoted as predicting an average of from 62 to 63 miles an hour. Szisz averaged over 62 miles in last year’s Grand Prix with his winning Renault, while in the Ardennes race Duray, who will drive a Dietrich car, averaged over 66 miles. Wagner's average in the Vanderbilt Cup race was over 61 miles.

Six nations will be represented in the Grand Prix, France having 21 cars. Germany 3 – all Mercedes cars - Belgium 3, England 2, Italy 5 - three being Fiats - America 1. Four cars will be of the eight-cylinder type, one -- the French Porthos car - to be driven by an American chauffeur, Emil Stricker. There will be one six-cylinder machine, and the others will be of the orthodox four-cylinder type.

Either this was a mis-information or grieving Adolphe changed his mind at the last moment because in the race his cars participated, and Shepard was one of his drivers! Furthermore for the only time in his short career – as far as I know – Shepard reached the finish line of an auto race. The New York Times wrote in the 03 July 1907 issue:

NAZARRO WINS THE GRAND PRIX RACE
Record-Breaking Pace of 70 ½ Miles an Hour Made by the Italian Car.
CHRISTIE LASTS ONE LAP
Elliott F. Shepard One of Nine Competitors to Finish - Disappointing Accident to Duray.

DIEPPE, July 2. -- With a magnificent display of coolness, nerve, and endurance, Nazarro, the Italian champion, driving his Fiat car, captured the automobile Grand Prix race to-day at an average speed of about 70 ½ miles an hour, breaking the world’s record for motor road racing contests, Duray's record of 66 miles an hour in the Ardennes circuit last year having hitherto been the best. The pace was killing from the start, leaving a score of cars hopelessly beaten before the second round was ended.

The race was full of surprises. Nazarro was not prominent early in the contest. Lancia led for the first three laps, but when he broke down at the third, and surrendered the lead to Duray in a De Dietrich, the latter, as he reeled off lap after lap under 40 minutes, looked an easy winner, but on entering the ninth round a broken bearing put his car out of action, and he was forced to retire amid the plaudits of the crowds.

In the meantime, Nazarro, riding like a demon, but cool and steady, overhauled Lancia, and when Duray dropped out he continued on unheaded to the finish. Szisz, last year’s victor, who had been pressing the leaders hotly, made a gallant during the last two laps to overtake Nazarro. but had to be content with second place, 6 ½ minutes behind the winner.

Lancia's gasoline gave out in the final round, permitting Baras (Brazier) to finish third.

Nazarro’s brilliant victory was acknowledged by all, but the heart had been taken out of the crowd by Duray's accident, and the thousands of French spectators received the news coldly.

The times of the three leaders were:
Nazarro (Fiat) 6 hours 46 minutes 33 seconds.
Szisz (Renault) 6 hours 53 minutes 10 seconds.
Baras (Brazier) 7 hours 5 minutes 5 3-5 seconds.

Rougier (De Dietrich) was fourth, Callois (Darracq) fifth, Rigal (Darracq) sixth, Barillier (Brazier) seventh, Garcet (Clement-Bayard) eighth, Elliott F. Shepard (Clement-Bayard) ninth. These were the only ones of the thirty-eight starters to finish the race. Walter Christie, the only American entrant, had trouble with his front-drive car at the end of the first lap and dropped out. Shepard, an American, was substituted at the eleventh hour as one of the drivers of the French Clement-Bayard team. The English, Belgian, and German racers made almost as poor a showing as Christie.

Nazarro’s marvelous driving was evidenced by the fact that his speed steadily increased as the race progressed. His tenth and final lap was his fastest, 38 minutes 35 seconds. Duray made the fastest lap, 37 minutes 54 seconds. The racing circuit was a trifle over 47 ½ miles in length, and was traversed ten times, giving a total distance of 477 miles.

A woman was seriously injured by the explosion of a tire on Jenatzy's Mercedes car. Bablot (Brazier) collided with Richez (Renault) while descending the Ancourt slope. Both cars were ditched, but the drivers were not seriously injured.

Glorious sunshine graced the start of the race, 50,000 persons massed in and around the tribune saw the machines start, while 150,000 others were concentrated in the villages along the route

Lancia set a fast pace in the first round, but Dursy soon overhauled him. Wagner (Fiat) however, passed both before the first round was completed, finishing the lap in 39 minutes 53 seconds, and steadily maintained his place in the front, leading Duray by 1 minute and 20 seconds at the end of the third round.

By this time accidents had already begun. Eight contestants were reported as having been crippled and dropped out of the race. Duray, while taking on gasoline, overtipped his receptacle and lost a quantity of the fuel.

Wagner was in difficulties in the fourth round, and was compelled to surrender the lead, which was taken by Duray, and Lancia obtained second place. The race at this stage seemed, barring accidents, to have narrowed down to Duray and Lancia. At the end of the fifth round Duray was going at a killing pace, and as he passed the tribune his time was 3 hours 24 minutes 55 seconds, 2 minutes 14 seconds ahead of Lancia. In the sixth round Duray increased his lead over Lancia by 33 seconds, and Nazzaro, closed up a strong third, 38 seconds behind Lancia. Szisz was fourth.

Nazarro, driving furiously, covered the seventh round in 38 minutes 40 seconds, taking second place from Lancia.

Duray's machine broke a bearing in the eighth round, leaving Nazarro in the lead by 4 minutes, with Szisz second, 4 minutes ahead of Lancia. The crowds groaned in sympathy as they saw Duray trudging back on foot, but they gave him a cheer as he passed, and the hopes of France were then transferred to Szisz, who was a good second.

On entering the last lap Nazarro looked to be an easy winner, barring the exhaustion of his fuel. Szisz was then 2 minutes behind Nazarro, with Lancia third, 10 minutes behind Szisz.

Felice Nazarro, the winner of the race, is an Italian. He finished third in the International Automobile Cup race in France July 5, 1905, and competed in the Vanderbilt Cup race of Oct. 14, 1905, and Oct. 6, 1906, failing to finish on both occasions. He won the Florio Cup at Palermo April 14 of the present year, and June 14 last he won the German Emperor's Cup over the Taunus circuit, thus winning all three of the big international road races this year, a remarkable achievement.

Francois Szisz, who took second place, was born in France. He drove a Renault car and did not finish in the Vanderbilt Cup contest of Oct. 14, 1905. On June 27, 1906, Szisz won the Grand Prlx, averaging over 62 miles an hour for the two days' contest of 766 miles.

And in an separate paragraph:

NAZARRO’S WORLD’S RECORD.
The feat of NAZARRO, the Italian motorist, in driving his car yesterday on the Dieppe course in France at an average speed of 70.6 miles an hour for something less than seven hours seems greater than EDGE’S achievement in the twenty-four hour run at Weybridge, England, last Saturday, until all the circumstances are considered. NAZARRO established a new speed record, on a course about forty-seven miles in length, over which he drove ten times. The course is probably the best in the world, much better than the short track at Weybridge, with its gravel foundation, which suffered severely from the pounding it received from EDGE’S car. It is better, too, than our Long Island course, and much longer. The ten laps in the run for the Vanderbilt Cup aggregate something less than 300 miles.

More than thirty motor cars started yesterday, but only six remained on the course to the finish. The failure of the others was partly due to the limited amount of gasoline allotted to each machine under the rules of the contest. The car NAZARRO drove is one which requires less fuel than some of the other racers.

Seventy miles an hour is a terrific speed under any conditions, but S.F. EDGE’S feat at Weybridge remains the most remarkable achievement in automobile racing. The driver kept to his post twenty-four consecutive hours, and received nourishment in the shape of tabloids, often taken when the car was going at full speed. The torn-up roadway frequently pierced a tire and short stops had to be made for repairs. A fresh mechanical assistant was taken on now and then, and this caused some delay. Yet an average speed of more than sixty-five miles an hour was maintained for twenty-four hours, a splendid test of the endurance of both the man and the motor car.

If you read carefully you may have been surprised at the following sentence: „Shepard … was substituted at the eleventh hour as one of the drivers of the … Clement-Bayard team.“ That doesn’t make sense, does it? I think what was meant was that Shepard himself was an eleventh-hour substitute (for poor Albert Clément) which should mean that he was drafted into the diminished team at short notice. If that really was what happened it has to be admitted that Shepard’s performance was pretty respectable.

Obviously Adolphe Clément thought the same because two months later he entered Shepard in the Coppa Velocita di Brescia in Italy where the American crashed once more, this time hurting himself (and his mechanician) as was reported by the New York Times in the 03 September 1907 issue:

E.F. SHEPARD HURT IN AUTO CUP RACE
His Collarbone Broken - Tire Slips and Machine Goes Into the River.
HE LED IN FIRST CIRCUIT
Cagno Wins Race at Brescia After Being Among the Last of the Contestants in the Early Stages.

BRESCIA, Sept. 2. -- Elliott F. Shepard of New York, while speeding over the fifth circuit in the automobile speed race for the Grand Prize here to-day, plunged into the river at Monte Chiari. His collarbone was broken and other parts of his body were slightly injured.

Mr. Shepard's chauffeur, Ledmann, had his face cut and bruised.

While Mr. Shepard was driving rapidly over the bridge spanning the Chiari River a tire of his machine slipped, the car lurched, bounded into the air, jumped over the bridge railing, and shot down five yards into the river. Shepard and Ledmann were rescued by persons in the vicinity and were taken to the hospital at Monte Chiari. Their condition is not considered serious. It was announced this evening that Mr. Shepard's condition was satisfactory.

Mr. Shepard, who was the only American participant in the contest, was the first to complete the first circuit of the course, his time being 33 minutes 30 seconds for 60 4-5 kilometres, a rate of 108 kilometres an hour. He was second on the completion of the second circuit and third at the end of the third circuit, after which, passing Fabry, the Italian driver, Shepard regained second position. On the fourth circuit Shepard was struggling along in fifth place, when the accident occurred.

The race was won by Cagno, driving an Itala car. The prize is a gold cup valued at $ 5,000. The distance was 486 kilometers, and Cagno's time was 4 hours 37 minutes 36 seconds.

Cagno averaged over 105 kilometers per hour. He was among the last of the contestants in the early stages of the race, but put on a burst of terrific speed in the fifth circuit, took the lead in the sixth, and held it until the finish. Fourteen cars took part in the race. Victor Demogeot, France, was second in 4 hours 40 minutes 59 seconds. Rougier, France, was third in 4 hours 45 minutes 31 seconds.

Elliott F. Shepard is a son of' the late Col. Elliott F. Shepard of New York and a grandson of. the late William H. Vanderbilt. He is well known in automobile circles, having competed in a number of important events. He had the misfortune to run over and kill a girl at St. Ouen, France, in 1905, for which he was sentenced to three months' imprisonment, to pay a fine, and to pay $ 4,000 damages on the ground that the girl was a breadwinner. He was pardoned after serving nine days in a French prison.

On Oct. 6, 1906, while Mr. Shepard was competing in the third annual Vanderlbilt Cup race over the Nassau County circuit, Long Island, he ran down and killed a spectator who had wandered out on the course near Krug’s corner.

Mr. Shepard finished ninth last July in the race for the French Grand Prix.

Unfortunately I didn’t find any details about Shepard’s presumably final motor race, the Coppa Florio one year later where the reason for his retirement is given as „axle“.

Also I don’t know what Shepard did in the following years and during the Great War until in 1917 – meanwhile he was married to Eleanor Leigh Terradell (1882 – 1962) – he turned his home in Chantilly, France, into a convalescence hospital for soldiers of World War I (source).

In 1921 he was made a Knight of the Legion of Honor for his relief work during the war (source).

And I did not find anything about the circumstances of his passing at the early age of 50 years.

Maybe Richie or someone with access to Shepard's obituary can tell us whether there is more to learn about him.

My résumé: It seems in his early years he was a spoilt kid who turned to motor racing just for fun but used his wealth to become a benefactor in his later years.

The end (as far as my knowledge is concerned).

#8 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,240 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 00:25

Originally posted by ReWind
And I did not find anything about the circumstances of his passing at the early age of 50 years.

Maybe Richie or someone with access to Shepard's obituary can tell us whether there is more to learn about him.

All I can say (or rather the obituary says) is that he was on vacation when he died, so probably (though this is an educated guess) a sudden (natural) death.

He is buried in the Vanderbilt Mausoleum on Staten Island.

He also had a Guard of Honour by the American Legion for his funeral at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church.

#9 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:44

To give you an idea what Shepard's Clément-Bayard looked like, this is his teammate's car in the French GP 1907.

#10 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:04

Silly me!

It's all on the net already. Obviously that piece has nothing to do with this thread. (Otherwise there surely would have been credits, wouldn't they?) Why didn't I look earlier?