Photo

Count Rudi van der Straten

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Prototype

Prototype

• 113 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:24

I was always fascinated by this man - Count Rudi van der Straten, patron of Racing Team VDS.

VDS competed in the Tasman Series (later the Rothman's Series) in '71 - '72, '74, '77 - '79 (from memory) with Teddy Pilette, Peter Gethin and later Warwick Brown.

Count Rudi van der Straten seemed very involved with the team (with his wife) and was a real enthusiast.

I remember him as tall, very thin, a cigarette never far from his mouth; his team were well funded for the time, he was titled, wealthy and apparently he owned / ran the Stella Artois Brewery.

Other than that, I know nothing of the man, can anyone fill in the very large gaps for me?

cheers, Andrew

Advertisement

#2 Gerard Gamand

Gerard Gamand

• 1,086 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:34

Andrew,

That's a great idea !

Rudy van der Straeten, who was Stella Artois beer owner, founded the Racing Team VDS in 1966.

He first ran Cooper S but, soon after go to Alfa Romeo and bought two Alfa GTA and one Alfa TZ for the 1967 season.

In 1968, he used two brand new Alfa 33/2. In 1969 he tried to obtain the 3 liters cars but with Carlos Chiti, all was always "special" and he could'nt and used still the 33/2 with 2,5 liters engines.

For the 1970 season he leaved Autodelta and the Alfa, and bought the ex-John Woolf Lola T70 MK3B (SL76/146). But, the coming of works Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 disgussed him.

In 1971 he tried a new challenge : The Tasman F5000, down under ! He bought an Mc Laren M10B and for the european Intersérie an Mc Laren M8C. In 1972 he changed the F5000 for a Mc Laren M22 and a very big Mc Laren M8F turbocharged (about 1200 bhp !).

In 1973, he concentrated the team on European F5000 and bought two new F5000 Chevron B24. For the 1974, and the oil crisis he helped Derek Bennett who was in great difficulties, and paid for two news F5000 Chevron B28...in advance !

For 1975, the Count changed for a F5000 Lola T400.

In 1976, he cross the atlantic for a new challenge : the american F5000 Championship with two news cars : a Lola T430 and a Chevron B37.

#3 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:03

Try the following threads for "pick ups" : Team VDS Alfa Romeo TZ2 minor appearances - The cars of the Pilettes - Max Stewart versus Team VDS - VDS Racing and perhaps some of the Tasman threads or F5000 or Lola threads .

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:26

The Count also founded VDS engines out of Midland , Texas. It was run by Franz Weis and besides F-5000 engines they built Indy type power plants for several teams in Indy car racing.

#5 Prototype

Prototype

• 113 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:36

I have some knowledge of his success as a team owner / patron, but I don't know anything about him as an individual - anecdotes anyone??

Andrew

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 13:14

No anecdotes - just dates & facts:

Comte Rodolphe van der Straten Ponthoz
b. 16 May 1913 in Bruxelles (= Brussels, Belgium)
d. 08 April 1992 (78 years old) in Palm Springs, California, USA

At least in America his nickname was spelled "Rudy", I think.

EDIT: Here is an overview of the history of Team VDS.

#7 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:20

Born 1913? By his looks I'd given him twenty years more, must've been the cigarettes... :(

#8 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 16:03

Rudy himself began racing in the early 1930s in Europe. Than escaping the Nazi invasion in WW II, he moved to Africa and run a plantation in the Belgian Congo (now Zaire) for 15 years. Began his association with famous engine builder Franz Weis in 1979, ran his own CART team in 83-84 (John Paul jr, Geoff Brabham). Paul won Michigan 500 in 1983. When the team was disbanded Weis and Van der Straten continued VDS Racing as an engine building business. Was a partner with Jim Hall, Franz Weis and Jim Hall II in the Pennzoil Hall/VDS Racing since 1991 until his death. The team ran cars for John Andretti, Didier Theys and Teo Fabi in 1991-1993 under the name of Hall/VDS. John Andretti won the 1991 season opener in Queensland, Australia.
Posted Image
With his wife Monette in 1983.
He also had 4 children from previous marriage.
Photo by Dan Bianchi

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 23:33

Originally posted by fines
Born 1913? By his looks I'd given him twenty years more, must've been the cigarettes...

You're on the pace there, Michael...

He looked very old. And he didn't always have that snarly look he's displaying in the photo above, either.

He was relatively approachable and really enjoyed his racing. I never knew he raced in the thirties, something more to come out of TNF, I guess.

Does anyone have more detail about that? And can we get Teddy to post on this thread?

#10 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 00:19

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And he didn't always have that snarly look he's displaying in the photo above, either.

No he didn't; unfortunately that photo paints an inaccurate picture IMO. He was a quiet, reserved man in my experience. Very pleasant in fact, but I agree that he looked older than he in really was.

I wasn't aware of his driving background either.

#11 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:24

I'd like to know more about him too. The only thing I do know, apart from what has already been said, is that despite his wealth and background he was a very down to earth man who enjoyed eating at the transport cafe accross the road, accompanied by Derek Bennett, when he visited the Chevron works. You can't really imagine some of the more precious team owners doing that kind of thing.

#12 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:06

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And he didn't always have that snarly look he's displaying in the photo above, either.

Agree, i add another photo of mr Van der Straten, taken in 1984 at Long Beach by Gary Gold.
Posted Image

Really, perhaps somebody knows more about his racing activities in 30s? This fact is just mentioned in his obituary.

#13 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:51

I recall his son, Benoit, doing some British F3 in the late 70s, though he didn't go very quickly I regret. Was he, or his family, responsible for inflicting the awful Stella on us all? Though I readily acknowledge in times past it may have been a quality drink.

#14 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:15

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
I recall his son, Benoit, doing some British F3 in the late 70s, though he didn't go very quickly I regret .....

I recall one Benoit (Morand), racing (not very quickly) in late '70s F.3, who's the son of Swiss engine builder Morand...

:confused:

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:21

The first Morand Chevs seen in F5000 cars in Australia were those in the Team VDS cars.

#16 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:31

Originally posted by fausto

I recall one Benoit (Morand), racing (not very quickly) in late '70s F.3, who's the son of Swiss engine builder Morand...

:confused:

I thought he was mid 80s F3000?

#17 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:34

The racing team VDS was created in 1964 and running Mini for the first two years also part winning Coupe du Roi in 1965.
First drivers and founders were Lionell Wallman and the french with belgian license Serge Trosch with the count van der Straeten Ponthoz.

Robert

#18 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:35

Originally posted by Twin Window
No he didn't; unfortunately......

A touch of class there TW, not often we see a semicolon on TNF.

#19 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 13:42

Originally posted by ghinzani

I thought he was mid 80s F3000?

Benoît Morand definitely started racing F3 in the seventies, although I don't recall ottomh which years he raced in Britain. I also don't think I have ever heard of a Benoit van der Straten! :confused: Dan, you weren't imbibing "Stella" those days which would excuse the haziness of your memory?;)

Advertisement

#20 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 14:51

This is the news of his death in the New York Times.

The date of his birth is given here.

Obviously on 12 January 1939 he married a certain Madeleine Rolin but was divorced not later than 1958. Maybe she was the mother of his four children from "a previous marriage" (NYT).

Although his age is given as 79 my maths tell me he was some weeks short of reaching that mark. Apparently some people deduct the age of a person from the years of birth and death: 1992 minus 1913 equals 79.
This is a reply to an e-mail I got from a fellow TNFer; hi, Jerry! :wave:

#21 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 15:15

Originally posted by fines

Benoît Morand definitely started racing F3 in the seventies, although I don't recall ottomh which years he raced in Britain. I also don't think I have ever heard of a Benoit van der Straten! :confused: Dan, you weren't imbibing "Stella" those days which would excuse the haziness of your memory?;)

Michael, certainly not!!! However, you're quite right, I got this one way off target didn't I! I do recall a connection though between VDS and Benoit, perhaps just a sticker on his B38, 1979 OTOH.

And no, I've never ever imbibed any of the brew, and none of its ilk either over here. When on the Continent though, well thats different, when in Rome...

#22 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 15:46

Rewind: I was going by what the local Palm Springs paper The Desert Sun had said at the time of the Counts passing. I believe you are right and he wasn't 79. He was a month short and 78.
The Count was as we say over here "The salt of the Earth." He was very good to his drivers and crew. He did everything first class and really enjoyed his racing. You couldn't ask for a better Team Owner.

#23 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 15:54

The following is what BabelFish produces when it tries to translate the history of Team VDS according to the link in post # 6:

The history of Racing TEAM VDS is unfortunately incomplete.

If you posédez information allowing of complèter the various periods of blur, thank you to contact me by email: vds28@skynet.be

Create in Brussels in November 1964 by the Count van der Straten Ponthoz, Serge Trosch and Lionel Wallman, Racing TEAM VDS will very quickly become one of most prestigious the Belgian private automobile stable.

Indeed, since 1965, at the time of their first participation in the 24 hours of Francorchamps, the Cooper Minis of TEAM VDS gain the Cut of the King.

In 1966, two Esparto Romeo AWG are acquired by VDS and are allotted to Serge Trosch and to Maurice Damseaux. while both remaining Cooper Minis continue to evolve/move with at their wheel Paul Gonthier and Hugues de Fierlant.

Both AWG are regularly committed in the tests of the Challenge European of Tourism and are an unquestionable success.

In 1967, program AWG is continued and will connaitra its joys and its tears with the victory of Serge Trosch to the championship of Belgium of the Drivers Tourism, first official dedication for the team after many victories both in Belgium and abroad, but also with the tragedy disappearance of Eric De Keyn at the time the 24 hours of Francorchamps.

Victim him also of an accident a few months earlier, at the time of the Cuts of Spa, Maurice Damseaux will have to yield his place to Teddy Pilette which becomes pilot then with whole share of TEAM VDS and will make a long career of a dixaine of years in its centre.

In addition, this same year, Count VDS will also make the acquisition of an Esparto Romeo TZ II in order to take part the championship proof of the World reserved for the Prototypes and WP.

1968 place TEAM VDS on a new level, that of the international competition for Sport-Prototypes. Two Esparto well decided Romeo 33 and four pilots compose the troops of the Count van der Straten. Serge Trosch will have as a team-member Teddy Pilette while Taf Gosselin will be shouldered by the Dutchman Rob Slotemaker.

The program is charged since the TEAM will less take part this year in step than 22 races of which all European sleeves of the Championship of the World of the Marks.

1968 will be also the year of the first participation of TEAM VDS in the 24 hours of Mans with its two cars.

At the end of 1969 and afterwards many problems of reliability, Count VDS puts an end to a three years collaboration with Autodelta and Lola T70 MkIII repurchased in John Woolfe will be selected to continue the adventure of the championship of the World of the Manufacturers.

Season 1970 occurs without much happiness, in spite of some enviable places at the time of the tests of Wunstorf, Keimola, of the 1000 km Spa as well as a victory with Montléry and to the 500 km of Vila Real.

TEAM VDS is present in the Sarthe at the time the 24 hours of Mans for the third consecutive year.

The season 1971 starts with a daring challenge: Racing TEAM VDS tackles the Championship of Tasmanie de Formule 5000 with first of all McLaren M10B which will be controlled by Teddy Pilette. This first adventure in Antipodes is concluded by superb 6 2nd place with the general classification from the championship.

The program of the championship of the World of the Manufacturers with Lola T70 is always on the way and there too the good results are concretized in spite of a new abandonment at the time the 24 hours of Mans.

Parallel to all that, TEAM VDS engages McLaren M8C in the championship Intersérie, the European equivalent of CanAm. The car, destroyed at the time of Kent 300 in Zolder is replaced by a M8E.

A counterpart of Lola T70 appears in film "Mans" with Steve McQueen.

In 1972, VDS turns over in Tasmanie and is with the arrival of each eight test before still finishing the first three European tests in a very beautiful second place.

In middle of season, the TEAM takes delivery of very new McLaren M22 which is shown more disappointing.

In Intersérie, it is a monstrous M8F of more than 1000 CV which Teddy Pilette must overcome.

In 1973, the M8F will still dispute some rare tests before being resold.

For this springtide, Count VDS buys two frames Chevron B24 to concentrate on the European championship of Formula 5000.

Peter Gethin joined TEAM VDS and Teddy Pilette gains the championship of Europe of F5000.

1974: Gethin gains championship of Tasmanie de F5000 while Pilette finishes third. The B24 Rafter of TEAM VDS are replaced by of B28 for the European season and Pilette finishes in the third place of the Championship.

For 1975, the Rafter are replaced by two all news and very powerful Lola T400 with Chevrolet engine.

The end of the year is theatre of a new dedication for Racing TEAM VDS which sees Teddy Pilette gaining for the second time the championship of Europe of Formula 5000 and which is crowned Champion of Belgium of the Drivers. Peter Gethin, on the second car of the TEAM finishes in the second place.

1976 see the departure of TEAM VDS towards the United States where Lola T430 for Pilette and a B37 Rafter for Gethin will take part in the championship of Formula 5000.

The two cars will also take share with the championship of Tasmanie.

The championship of the United States de F5000 disappears in 1977 and it is logically towards the Tasman championship that the Belgian team with her Formulas 5000 will turn itself.

In the United States, VDS will be thus present only in the CanAm championship with Lola T333 CS.

The pilot Austalien Warwick Brown joined the TEAM at the beginning of season whereas Teddy Pilette returns to Europe.

Peter Gethin as for him, hangs up again definitively his helmet at at the end of 1977 whereas it is classified in the second place of the CanAm championship on the car of TEAM VDS.

In 1978, TEAM VDS is again crowned champion of Tasmanie F5000 whereas in the United States, in CanAm, Geoff Lees replaces Brown as of the last race of the season on Lola T333 CS.

VDS finishes once again in the second place of the championship

For 1979, after having hesitated between Rafter and Lola for CanAm, Count VDS decides to turn to Broadley and buys two Lola T530. Lees is released from its obligations and VDS engages Australian Geoffrey Brabham, the son of Jack.

VDS will be allocated for 1979 and 1980 the third walk of the final podium of the CanAm championship.

During this year 1980, TEAM VDS decides to build with 100% its own car (frame, body and engine).

Project "VDS 001" begins as of the last race from the season but the car will be aligned only in the middle of the season 1981 and gains its first race!

The VDS 001 and Geoff Brabham gain the championship Canam 1981.

In 1982 Patrick Tambay (champion CanAm 1980) sign at VDS but is released from his obligations after his first race to join the Ferrari stable Formulates 1 of them.

Al Holbert replaces it for the continuation of the season on the VDS 001.

At the end of 1982, the car is sold and Michael Roe will still gain the championship CanAm 1984 at her wheel.

In 1983, TEAM VDS turns to the rising discipline to the United States: championship CART. With this intention, the TEAM takes possession of two Penske with Cosworth engine.

Geoff Brabham finishes fourth of the 500 miles Indianapolis whereas John Paul Jr. Termine 3 2nd with Riverside, second in Las Vegas and winner in Michigan 500.

For 1984, VDS builds a new car VDS-Penske which will take part without success in four tests of championship CART.

The driving department of VDS, VDS Racing Engines Inc is taken again by Karl Weis.

1985... 1990???

In 1991, VDS reappears in CART under the denomination of Hall/VDS Racing with John Andretti who finishes inter alia the 500 miles of Indianapolis to the 5 2nd place and is classified in the eighth place of the championship with Lola with Chevrolet engine.

1992, see the arrival in the TEAM of the Belgian Didier Theys who unfortunately does not qualify himself for the departure of mythical the 500 Miles of Indianapolis.

Andretti as for him is classified 8 there 2nd and the final result with the championship is identical to the previous year: eighth.

In 1993, It is TĂ©o Fabi which will defend the colors of Hall/VDS Racing and will be always classified 9 2nd with championship CART with Lola with Chevrolet engine.

1994... 2005???

2006: VDS Racing Engines Inc is still active today and prepares engines of competition for cars taking part in historical races.

You get the picture? :drunk:

#24 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 21:52

Thanks Rewind , seen by me earlier last year , but I never dared to ask any , thinking I was :drunk: Now I know it ! :drunk:

#25 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:54

To confuse this issue, a very successful rally navigator in Western Australia in the 70s and 80s was the late Rod van der Straaten.

#26 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:58

The Western Australian Van der Straaten clan: (From cemetery records; Rod was no 2 on the list)

VAN DER STRAATEN AELIAN LORENSZ 77 years 1983 BAYSWATER
VAN DER STRAATEN AELIAN RODNEY 58 years 1997 BASSENDEAN
VAN DER STRAATEN EDGAR ALEXANDER 77 years 1977 LYNWOOD
VAN DER STRAATEN HENGELBURTUS VON WEITSTEEN 65 years 1979 CLOVERDALE
VAN DER STRAATEN MARCUS LESLIE NOEL 85 years 2004 DIANELLA
VAN DER STRAATEN NINETTE EUGENIE 92 years 1998 WARWICK
VAN DER STRAATEN RUBY VIOLET ELSIE 90 years 2004 GOSNELLS

#27 DJO

DJO

• 45 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 13:00

I can remember the count when he ran Peter Gethin and Teddy Pillette in British F5000. Always a very charming and polite man - a real gent!

#28 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 14:12

According to the website posted by ReWind, the mother of Rudy Van der Straten was Baronne Marthe de MĂ©vius.

Was she related with Belgian rallyman Grégoire De Mévius, two times winner of the World Rally Championship-Production Cars (1991 and 1992 if I remember well) ?

#29 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 14:55

Originally posted by Terry Walker
To confuse this issue, a very successful rally navigator in Western Australia in the 70s and 80s was the late Rod van der Straaten.

[B]VAN DER STRAATEN  AELIAN RODNEY  58 years  1997  BASSENDEAN
[/B]

I have found Rod van der Straaten's birthday (10 April 1939) but not the date of his passing. Does anyone know on which day in 1997 he died?

#30 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:38

Rod van der Straaten: died 23/09/1997

#31 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:21

Thanks, Terry.

#32 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:00

I heard that he got shipped off to Africa - Congo perhaps - and made his 'own' money in coffee. The 'beer baron' story was apparently a useful cover.

I know a VdS mechanic who talked off cash laden suitcases full of different denominations and very little evidence of any Stella Artois money.

#33 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:38

Does anyone know the origin of the VDS colour scheme - red with blue & white stripes?

#34 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:27

Posted Image
Peter Gethin with Count Rudi Van Der Straten
photo Rob Neuzel collection- www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#35 gerry1011

gerry1011

• 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 15:41

Some pictures can be seen here

Count Rodolf van der Straten Ponthoz had no son named "Benoit".
He had 3 sons and one daughter.
Only "Herve", his second son, was involved in the team.

Count Rodolf was indeed the owner of Stella Artois, which is now InBev, the biggest brewer in the world.

#36 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:15

In the bable fish translation it has the head of VDS engines listed wrong. It should read Franz Weis as taking over the VDS engine program. Franz Weis and Troy Rogers were formerly with Jim Hall's Chaparral and the Haas/Hall Formula-5000 effort.

#37 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,355 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:40

Were VDS rebuilding Ilmor Indy engines in Texas in 1994?

#38 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 15:00

Can't verify the date, but Jim Hall, Franz Weis, and Rudi Van der Straten did set up a joint venture at the Chaparral works in Midland, Texas, building engines.
Tom

#39 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 21:09

It appears that Rudi's grandsons have resurrected the VDS team : http://www.chiangmai.../features.shtml
http://www.insiithai...s_full_size.htm

Edited by hatrat, 22 February 2011 - 21:22.

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 21:20

http://www.vds-racin...51417f7def23db8

The count's son. Herve....

http://themanofstyle...n-der-straeten/

http://translate.goo...l...1&prmd=ivns

Edited by Giraffe, 22 February 2011 - 23:00.

#41 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,355 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 22:05

Can't verify the date, but Jim Hall, Franz Weis, and Rudi Van der Straten did set up a joint venture at the Chaparral works in Midland, Texas, building engines.
Tom

I got shown through the engine assembly area there in Midland in '94, they were definitely assembling Ilmor Indy motors, I don't specifically recall, but I think it may have been before it all became Mercedes Benz (did it all become Benz and then later go back out to Penske??).........anyway, my recollection is that it was a Van der Straten operation, at least in part, at the time.

#42 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:41

[quote name='Giraffe' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:20' post='4863132']
He might have the same name ,however that chap is way to young to be The Counts son.

The count's son. Herve....

http://themanofstyle...n-der-straeten/

#43 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 17:36

The thought did cross my mind, Doug. However, I obtained Herve's Facebook page & e-mail address from Antoine Pilette recently for a third party (who knew him). There is no photo on the Facebook page and neither is there one on the VDS website, only a photo of Raphael. Now I know for sure that a "Herve" is the Count's son, and also that his son races. Oh and yes, I was informed that Herve had a gallery. Maybe there is a senior & a junior? I will seek Antoine's clarification. (Duly done).

Edited by Giraffe, 23 February 2011 - 17:42.

#44 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:00

The thought did cross my mind, Doug. However, I obtained Herve's Facebook page & e-mail address from Antoine Pilette recently for a third party (who knew him). There is no photo on the Facebook page and neither is there one on the VDS website, only a photo of Raphael. Now I know for sure that a "Herve" is the Count's son, and also that his son races. Oh and yes, I was informed that Herve had a gallery. Maybe there is a senior & a junior? I will seek Antoine's clarification. (Duly done).

Unrelated to the VDS racing family, Hervé is much older now

#45 YvensC

YvensC

• 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 20:15

Any idea of when the VDS Engines operation stopped?

I'm currently writing a book on the whole VDS operation (due to be published on Nov 20 in Belgium) on behalf of Raphael VDS, Rudy's grandson. Been in contact with Pilette, Brown, Gethin's widow, Brabham, Steve Horne and several mechanics, but that info has not come out yet...

#46 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 21:16

Another question regarding Team VDS: Nivelles 24.06.1973 "Championnat d'Europe GT de la F.I.A.", the entry list includes Mike Parkes / De Tomaso Pantera #35 / Rac.Team V.D.S.

It's not listed in post #6. As far as I know the two races (Imola,Nivelles) which Mike Parkes did in 1973 with the Pantera were for the De Tomaso factory. Any further information?

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:39

I know that Franz rented out the VDS engine shop to a company that was making engines for helicopters or light aircraft.

#48 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 22:47

We have had an email from the forum as a response to this message;

I heard that he got shipped off to Africa - Congo perhaps - and made his 'own' money in coffee. The 'beer baron' story was apparently a useful cover.

I know a VdS mechanic who talked off cash laden suitcases full of different denominations and very little evidence of any Stella Artois money.

It says the following;

I knew personnaly the count VDS, although not much. Last week, I asked my step-mother from where the fortune of count Rudy came. She is the daughter of Monette the second wife of the count. Did it come from Congo? She told me "no, from Stella Artois, very little from Congo." My step-mother was born in Kivu, in the Congo, were her mother, Monette, got to know the count.

Also I can't quite see how a VdS mechanic  could have know how the fortune of the count was made, since VdS started his racing team years after he returned to Belgium.

It was from Patrick Andries.  Not quite sure what you will do with that, but I agreed to post it anyway.