Wheelbase and overhang dimensions in race car design

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TDIMeister

TDIMeister

• 318 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 23:57

Hi guys,

I'm actually reposting a good topic question that was brought up by someone in another forum I frequent. I figured you guys would have special expertise in this subject:

--------------------------------
I was just about to post this in the '07 Houston ALMS thread. But I think that it deserves it's own topic, as opposed to reviving a long dead one.

As we all know, the Audi R10 has a massive wheelbase compared to the R8(117.3in+/2980mm+ for the R10 vs 107.9in/2740mm for the R8), but what does that mean? Well, it implies that the R10's engine is long and heavy. It's estimated that the R10's engine is about 29-30 inches long, vs 20.5 for the R8. But the Ford Windsor SVO engine that Panoz and other teams used is as long, and those were used in cars with wheelbases slightly longer than the R8's. And the McLaren F1's BMW V12 is about as long and heavy, and it was used in a car that had a 107 inch wheelbase-shorter than the R8's.

This isn't really news, but this is. Guess the wheelbase of the Porsche RS Spyder. If you guessed 108-110 in., you'd be way off. The RS Spyder's wheelbase is over 114 inches! Not all that much shorter than the R10's! And the RS Spyder did just fine.

Read post #53 and 58 here: http://www.ten-tenth...t=100010&page=4

It basically says that the wheelbase lenghts of the R10 are dictated by the ACO's and IMSA's areo rules more than anything else. The R8 was 4640 mm long, with 900mm front overhang(from tip of front diffuser to front wheel center line), and 1010mm rear overhang(from end of tail/rear wing to rear wheel centerline). The R10 is estimated to have a 920mm front overhang, and a 750mm rear overhang(the ACO/IMSA maximums are 1000mm front and 750mm rear), and for comparison, the RS Spyder is supposidly running at the ACO/IMSA max for overhangs.

If the R8 had the R10's overhangs, it's length would shorten to 4480mm, which isn't good for aerodyamics. The results would be a lot of drag(due to running more downforce to improve stability), or a difficult to drive car.

Just though I'd make a comment as to why the R10 is so big demensionally, and that weight is the man factor in the LMP1 vs LMP2 debate.
-----------------------------------

My thought was that aerodynamics, insofar as drag was concerned, was not so much an issue, but rather one of static weight distribution (where the engine and CoG sits in relation between the two axles) and polar moment of inertia, as well as the dynamic counterparts of weight distribution and polar moment (where the downforce of front- and rear wings at the car's extremities come into play).

Can someone shed more light on this, where I've got my reasoning wrong or incomplete, etc.? My post in reply, below:

A couple of little things to add. The overall dimensions and overhangs of the LMP cars are, as already stated, governed by the ACO. Within this framework, the car manufacturer can select the wheelbase and other dimensions.

I believe the main reason for the extremely long wheelbase of the R10 has two main facets. One, as also already stated, is due to the length of the engine. But I believe this is secondary, because the vehicle designer has to some extents a choice of either moving the passenger compartment forward, or use a transaxle that allows the engine to be moved back relative to the rear wheel axis. The primary reason for the long wheelbase is because, if the engine is at a given location relative to the rear wheel axis, then changing the wheelbase affects both the weight distribution and the polar moment of inertia of the car. In this case, lengthening the wheelbase causes the weight distribution to bias more to the rear, and polar moment increases. This may seem counterintuitive; usually you want a balanced weight distribution and low polar moments. A high polar moment makes the car feel more stable but less manoeverable. However, vehicle dynamics is a far more complicated science than these oversimplications do justice. F1 cars have seemed to converge to a point where as of 2000 in Peter Wright's Ferrari F2000 book, he suggests an ideal static weight distribution of about 60 percent rear/40 front.

I fail to see how wheelbase affects aerodynamics, insofar as drag is concerned, but it certainly affects, again, force distribution and polar moment. Ideally, you'd put your front and rear wings at the extremities of the car length and have the max amount of overhang, since the distance is the lever arm length from which the downforce acts and is reacted by the normal force at the wheels. That's why maximum overall lengths and overhangs are limited, or else teams might go with short wheelbases and incredible overhangs to take advantage of this.

Paul van Valkenburgh covers this subject in great detail in his book, Race Car Engineering and Mechanics. I need to give it a read again and get back to this thread if I should make any corrections to what I've said above or can shed any further light on this.
Since the R10 apparently interests you so much, have you already read this?

Advertisement

#2 AdamLarnachJr

AdamLarnachJr

• 525 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:37

I don't have the time at the moment to go into the specifics, and I'm sure I'd probably screw them up, but much of the packaging and differences in design has a lot to do with the aerodynamic regulations set forth by the ACO after the "R8" era. The approach of the R8 vs the R10 in terms of aerodynamics are wildly different. (mandatory planks, radius edges, front splitter requirements, etc. etc.) Most of which was in an effort to reduce the chances of cars taking flight.

The R10 is more than likely "longer" than the R8, though its hardly noticeable. As far as the RS Spyder, I seriously doubt they are running anywhere near the maximum front and rear overhangs. I do know firsthand that a certain P car will be running with revised front bodywork for Le Mans that is significantly longer than its standard "sprint" bodywork, and even that car is longer than the RS Spyder.

As for weight distribution and handling dynamics I feel the RS Spyder has the advantage, but those only come into play at the shorter tracks. Take it to Le Mans, Sebring, Atlanta, Road America etc. etc. and you will see the R10's advantages... low drag and power.

#3 shaun979

shaun979

• 417 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 14:55

Ideally, you'd put your front and rear wings at the extremities of the car length and have the max amount of overhang, since the distance is the lever arm length from which the downforce acts and is reacted by the normal force at the wheels.

I don't think this is so. Am I missing something? Total downforce should remain the same with similar wings. You gain leverage by putting rear wing further back (past rear axle). Rear wheel load for a given rear wing downforce goes up, but you also lose at the front through leverage.

Outside of rules I think that for a given height and width, there is a minimum vehicle length that allows you to diverge/converge the air smoothly around the it for efficient aero. At the other extreme is going long to the point of unnecessary drag, though other larger factors in other areas probably come into play well before this point.

#4 TDIMeister

TDIMeister

• 318 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 16:23

You're correct, it's a statically-determinate system. What I was getting at was the balance or distribution of the downforce of all the aero elements over both axles.

#5 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 22:56

I think you have it right.
But first, you study the rules - for instance aero on Lemans cars now is fraught with weird rules - ground clearance between the axels, overhangs, wing mounting, placement, chord etc. - the underbody must have spec tunnels.... use cfd tools and try lots of different layouts. Just copy the fastest guy's car.
Class 8 semis can move the load on each axle not by shifting the load, but by shifting the axles. Dragsters shift the load with ultra long wheel bases but the long lever arm is required for aero. This why a longer wheel base can actually make a car more nimble sometimes. Its better to have the ideal weight distribution determined at the initial design phase because you may not be able to fix it with your aero package if it is wrong.
Determine the most effective distribution of downforce at the part of the track that will give you the most gain. Remember, there is a shift of Cof P with speed and each element will change it's value in a different progression. Having a rear wing mounted too far back will lift the front at speed. This may be OK depending on the track. Designers tend to favor rear grip over front - you hardly ever see high speed oversteer any more.

If you want to look at a class of racing where you can do a lot, check out D sports racing - DSR , scca - aero, engine, fuels, all are relatively free.

An interesting study to me is the performance of a C6 Z06 and F430. The Corvette has a longer wheel base with two massive centroids 49/51 at the extremes and the Ferrari with its mechanicals concentrated at 43/57. They have almost the same mass and power to weight ratios. The Vette should have awful handling and poor yaw acceleration with its engine moved forward and a heavy trans-axle at the back but it gets virtually identical numbers in every region and at the high speed limit, they are both treacherous with their street aero.
A very complicated study is the difference between the C5R and the C6R aero package that changed when the length of the car shortened and the wheel base increased. It took a year to solve the problem. The same downforce came at higher drag. it would be fun to see a F430 added to this group. Why do these assholes hate us so. 230 years and they still can't get over it.

Audi takes 27 pages to say that they exploited a loophole in the rules for diesels - which has now been at least partially closed.

Originally posted by TDIMeister
Hi guys,

I'm actually reposting a good topic question that was brought up by someone in another forum I frequent. I figured you guys would have special expertise in this subject:

Can someone shed more light on this, where I've got my reasoning wrong or incomplete, etc.? My post in reply, below: