Photo

Autosport TV on the news pages

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:54

Is there a way to disable Autosport TV on the news pages (the video that loads on each individual news story page)?

The reason i ask is because I have a limited amount of Internet usage allowance each month, and Autosport TV is chewing up my usage (I live in a first world country with third world internet (australia)).

I'm not complaining about the ads, i understand they have to be there. It's the automatic loading of the Autosport TV video that's my main concern. It would be good if you could set it up so that it doesn't start automatically with each new news story.

Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 WigF1

WigF1

• 69 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 21:17

Is there a way to disable Autosport TV on the news pages (the video that loads on each individual news story page)?

The reason i ask is because I have a limited amount of Internet usage allowance each month, and Autosport TV is chewing up my usage (I live in a first world country with third world internet (australia)).

I'm not complaining about the ads, i understand they have to be there. It's the automatic loading of the Autosport TV video that's my main concern. It would be good if you could set it up so that it doesn't start automatically with each new news story.

Thanks!

I heartily agree - I often open multiple tabs and having that bloody TV thing there kills the browser, not to mention the excess bandwidth...

Please allow us to disable it!

#3 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:55

One way of permanently disabling it would be to purchase a subscription. Not only would you not have this problem with the TV player, but you can browse the site without ANY ads, as well as having access to all the premium feature content :)

http://www.autosport.com/plus/

#4 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,978 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:01

So the answer is: "Thank you for browsing our site, and fuk you very much"?

#5 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:38

So the answer is: "Thank you for browsing our site, and fuk you very much"?

Not at all. I merely point out that it is one way around this problem.

#6 Costaz

Costaz

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:42

There was a similar thread/complain some time ago, when the TV thing first appeared at the home page. Autosport's response is to put it in all news items, so you get to see the same video (not only advertisement) again and again and again, at the expense of the bandwidth of the user. I personally don't see the point of the repetition, but if the powers to be think it's a good idea, what can we do...

Edit: And here is the old thread, it's good to feel that the voice of the users is heard (not).

Edited by Costaz, 01 November 2009 - 11:45.

#7 sidepodcast

sidepodcast

• 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 19:17

One way of permanently disabling it would be to purchase a subscription. Not only would you not have this problem with the TV player, but you can browse the site without ANY ads, as well as having access to all the premium feature content :)

this is an interesting one. i have an issue related to autosport logins, which doesn't rear it's head until it's coupled with the automatic video player problem.

at present autosport doesn't appear to employ the use of a secure certificate when managing user logons. e.g: no https/ssl encryption. this means user names and passwords are sent in plain text and thus visible over public networks, every time someone logs in.

this isn't a huge issue, because it isn't necessary to log in to the site just to catch up with the latest news stories... unless you suddenly find a video thieving all of your precious bandwidth.

yes, the video can be paused (except during an advertisement), but the full content appears to download regardless. so you don't achieve much beyond preventing the next video in the queue from loading.

it's not the end of the world by any means, but since a couple of people are having similar issues, it's probably worth highlighting.

spc

#8 ryanwood4

ryanwood4

• 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 21:24

this is an interesting one. i have an issue related to autosport logins, which doesn't rear it's head until it's coupled with the automatic video player problem.

at present autosport doesn't appear to employ the use of a secure certificate when managing user logons. e.g: no https/ssl encryption. this means user names and passwords are sent in plain text and thus visible over public networks, every time someone logs in.

this isn't a huge issue, because it isn't necessary to log in to the site just to catch up with the latest news stories... unless you suddenly find a video thieving all of your precious bandwidth.

yes, the video can be paused (except during an advertisement), but the full content appears to download regardless. so you don't achieve much beyond preventing the next video in the queue from loading.

it's not the end of the world by any means, but since a couple of people are having similar issues, it's probably worth highlighting.

spc

What about developing a low bandwidth site?

I know the F1 Times have one: http://www.f1times.c...nimal/index.php
as does the BBC, it's easier for people who have slow broadband, and or live in countries with undeveloped networks.

Not sure, maybe Autosport already have one?

#9 Kub

Kub

• 116 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 18:50

Not at all. I merely point out that it is one way around this problem.

Not very constructive. What is the other way then?
I'm using Firefox with AdBlock at home, so I can just filter off all the unnecessary garbage, but at work with IE7 I have to put up with this idiocy...

#10 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 19:07

Set yourself up with a http://my.autosport.com/ page, and just pick the headlines you want.