Photo

The BBC F1 Coverage Thread - 2010 Season (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7292 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 16:47

Thanks to Victor_RO for kindly closing the 2009 thread, which lasted 80 pages and nearly 8,000 posts (even ITV had it's own thread). 2010, and Year 2 on BBC. For those that want to know how BBC's F1 Coverage gets on ratings wise, click here. A quick summary of the things that we definitely know for 2010:

- all the TV team are returning for 2010, 1 year rolling contract for all except Martin Brundle who is on a 3 year contract.
- most of the radio team are returning, but Ian Phillips is definitely not returning, and there is a question mark for Maurice Hamilton.
- TV coverage is expected to stay the same, race airing from 12:10 to 15:00 for a typical European race and qualifying on from 12:10 to 14:15.
- practice expected to remain on Red Button, but extended in form (i.e. longer than 5 minutes discussion either side of the actual session)

The official BBC F1 2010 press launch is this Thursday (4th February), so expect to get more details then. A key page to keep an eye out on come Thursday is BBC Press Office. Although not confirmed, I suspect Classic F1 will remain for 2010 along with the other website bits and bobs (blogs etc..). No announcement on F1 Forum either, hopefully that isn't ditched.

Last but not least, BBC will NOT be broadcasting F1 in HD (or 3D!!) for 2010. I cannot emphasis this enough. This has been confirmed by both Jake Humphrey and Lee McKenzie on Twitter, so unless FOM have a late change of heart (unlikely), F1 won't be in HD. As far as I know, FOM do produce a HD feed, but are not releasing it to broadcasters because there isn't enough interest yet.

I think that's it... here's hoping for another great year of coverage of F1 on the Beeb! :)

Edited by D.M.N., 30 January 2010 - 20:05.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:03

Thanks for all your work on the BBC threads, DMN, much appreciated :up: .

I thought the BBC coverage last year was fantastic.

#3 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:11

Who's Maurice Brundle?

;)

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:19

:lol: Who? What? Where?

:)

Anyway, I wonder whether even longer periods of silence in the commentary box mean that JL is Twi(a)ttering something... :p

#5 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:21

Who's Maurice Brundle?

;)

Woops! :lol:

:lol: Who? What? Where?;)

Ta for the edit! :drunk: :up:

#6 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:31

No Ian Phillips, thank the lawd.

What I think the BBC should do is do full practice session reports in their programmes so we have more insight into how the teams/drivers are performing, like in the old BBC days.

It would also be good if they cut the amount of punditry and add more technical features and interviews before the quali/race. And please get rid of that tacky CGI opening!

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:35

b]BBC will NOT be broadcasting F1 in HD for 2010.[/b

Will it be in 3D?

I'll get my coat.

#8 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:39

Will it be in 3D?

I'll get my coat.

That's what I wanted to ask because I am sure the BBC are responsible for those F1 in 3D demo's?

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:43

That's what I wanted to ask because I am sure the BBC are responsible for those F1 in 3D demo's?

What demo's?

#10 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 17:51

Can't say I've heard anything about that before.

#11 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:32

Can't say I've heard anything about that before.

Yeah the BBC are going to start showing their sporting events live in 3DTV starting with the coverage of England's Six Nations Rugby match against Wales in cinemas in February. Sky are going straight to TV, albeit only in pubs initially, even earlier with 3DTV broadcasts of their premier league deal starting with Man U v Arsenal on January 31st. How long till the BBC air their F1 feeds as well? That's the question.

#12 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:34

Is Ian Philips out of F1 completely?

#13 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:36

urgh...

3d TV never works properly.. NEVER..

it's utterly pointless

#14 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:41

Yeah the BBC are going to start showing their sporting events live in 3DTV starting with the coverage of England's Six Nations Rugby match against Wales in cinemas in February. Sky are going straight to TV, albeit only in pubs initially, even earlier with 3DTV broadcasts of their premier league deal starting with Man U v Arsenal on January 31st. How long till the BBC air their F1 feeds as well? That's the question.

That'd be down to Formula One Management. BBC would have zero control over F1 in 3D. In the same light, BBC have zero control over F1 in HD. They can persuade Bernie to give the broadcasters the HD feed, but they couldn't just walk up to him one day and demand a feed.

You'd have to ask Vijay that, I'm afraid.

#15 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:50

all set at mclaren, but stunned by Maurice Hamilton not doing F1

Tweet from Legard at McLaren launch.
http://twitter.com/legardj

#16 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:55

More Legard ----the BBC management don't listen.

#17 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 18:58

More Legard ----the BBC management don't listen.

might just mean more Crofty for the practices..

always felt that Maurice Hamilton was pretty redundant last year to me anyway

#18 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:06

- most of the radio team are returning, but Ian Phillips is definitely not returning, and there is a question mark for Maurice Hamilton.

Thanks my God

#19 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:12

Whoo, I love the BBC coverage!

I don't understand some of the comments made in that last thread about it being "amateurish" and "awful" or whatever. There's a LOT of content, Humphrey is a natural born presenter, and, sure, it took a few races for DC and EJ to take the sticks out of their asses and get comfortable but it works great. Martin Brundle is just ace... the only weakest link would be Legard who seems to have ups and downs. He was pretty awful at the start, really improved mid-season, but just dipped in form again in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

Whatever, though, with a year under their belts they're going to be (hopefully) A+ from the first race to the last. I'm kind of lucky that in Canada I get the BBC race feed with Brundle & Co. but none of the pre-qualifying, pre-race stuff (which I get later by other means).

Advertisement

#20 Archybald

Archybald

• 383 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:19

All this 2010 season talk ... coverage talk ... etc .... ARGH I CANT WAIT! I feel like im about to explode with anticipation for this new season. If the beeb is as good as it was last year ill be one happy camper. We just got our 42 inch tv .... need something good to watch on it. *twitch*

Im sure the bbc will do a great job! (well i hope)

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:30

Not until the FOM starting supplying a 3D feed.

#22 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:32

Not until the FOM starting supplying a 3D feed.

Which is very unlikely in the next 10-15 years.

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:34

Which is very unlikely in the next 10-15 years.

I'll admit that I havent seen any of the latest 3D stuff, but based on what I have seen in the past I'm not convinced by it. Who wants to watch everything wearing those glasses?

#24 The Jim Clark Five

The Jim Clark Five

• 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:36

he's still on the Force India website as director of business affairs

#25 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:39

I'll admit that I havent seen any of the latest 3D stuff, but based on what I have seen in the past I'm not convinced by it. Who wants to watch everything wearing those glasses?

Indeed. Just ask Mark Kermode:

#26 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:41

It isn't what you think. You don't wear glasses and there is no requirement for a 3D specific feed. It is merely converted. It is a computational thing. A lot of studios ae currently converting their back catalogue.

#27 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:44

So Maurice Hamilton is not doing any radio? If that's true then I'm glad. I thought he was dire (not on the level of Phillips) and there was really no need for him.

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:47

It isn't what you think. You don't wear glasses and there is no requirement for a 3D specific feed. It is merely converted. It is a computational thing. A lot of studios ae currently converting their back catalogue.

Glasses required according to Sky.

http://www.sky.com/s.../watching-3dtv/
From this Spring, Sky customers with a Sky+HD box, a new 3D TV and 3D glasses will be able to watch our Sky 3D preview channel showing clips and highlights from the kind of shows you can expect to see when our 3D channel is launched later this year.

#29 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 19:51

So Maurice Hamilton is not doing any radio? If that's true then I'm glad. I thought he was dire (not on the level of Phillips) and there was really no need for him.

As of December, he hadn't made up his 2010 plans yet. So presumably he's chosen to do something else for 2010.

#30 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 20:00

Great if true. Both Maurice Hamilton and Ian Phillips were very successful at making me sleepy.
Btw, Daytona right now is in HD... F1 and Europe are so 90's!

Edited by ivanalesi, 30 January 2010 - 20:00.

#31 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 20:06

I watched the entirety of the British GP in full 3D. How? By going there. :)

But the Phillips 3D WOWvx calculates in realtime what the left and right eye should see without the need for glasses, although there are a couple of blind spots. It can re-render footage in 3D on the fly or something similar.

#32 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 20:28

+1, I often got bored and wandered off in 2nd Practice, which never happened with Crofty and Ant. Will they be doing all 3 sessions then this year? I mean when there isnt a special guest like JYS (who I had mixed feelings over in his 2 appearances).

Legard gets on my nerves sometimes, but to be honest I don't think hes quite as bad as people make out. I didn't even notice half his catchphrases (On a charge, up the hill etc.) until I read the threads on them!

#33 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 21:29

Not enough interest in HDTV? Only because Bernie wants to overcharge for it.

#34 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 21:34

Sack Eddie "I used to be a team boss, you know" Jordan, and everything would be fine.

#35 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 21:37

Sack Eddie "I used to be a team boss, you know" Jordan, and everything would be fine.

come on..

eddie j's fun...

he literally dragged schumacher out of a garage and shoved him infront of the camera

#36 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 21:40

Eddie's going to be much worse. It will be 'I gave Schumacher a chance/launched his career/saw his potential/washed his balls once' all season.

Edited by reason42, 30 January 2010 - 21:40.

#37 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 21:40

come on..

eddie j's fun...

he literally dragged schumacher out of a garage and shoved him infront of the camera

shows just how much of a cock he is. totally ruined my F1 last year, guess I'm gonna have to mute it again this year :well: Especially now that he got a prediction right (Schumacher returning) there's no telling how bad he'll be this year

#38 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 22:01

come on..

eddie j's fun...

EJ is not "fun", unless, like Max Mosley, your idea of "fun" is being spanked with a whip whilst hearing nails scraping a chalk board.

Compared to the previous annoying F1 guy, James Allen, James is 8 out of 10 on the annoying scale, while Eddie is Chris Evans on the annoying scale.

What Eddie fails to mention every time he says "I used to be a team boss" is that he "used to be a team boss, but then sold out for millions to a faceless steel magnate that most people thought was a bank renamed HSBC".

Sack Eddie ASAP!!!

#39 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 22:02

Doesn't every commentator team need someone who you can dislike, though? :lol:

I know I have at least two people in the Finnish team who I can't take seriously. I think at least one of them is trying to be serious but it's just not working :cat:

I have also seen BBC F1 broadcasts (was in England) and I think they were great. Better than the Finnish ones I would say, even if comparing to the Finnish broadcasts on the pay channel of MTV3. I think you Brits have it fine with the BBC.

Advertisement

#40 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 22:03

That's my only (albeit slight) concern with the Beeb for the first few rounds is that it doesn't turn into the 'Schumacher Show' in that it becomes a prediction fest in what he'll do. I think the fact that there are several other interesting things in the background (Hamilton/Button, Massa/Alonso) means that they'll be other things to talk about, as well as other teams. Bahrain is going to full of stories leading up to the race... I'd hate to be the one that's got to decide how they'll fit everything in!

I'm not sure how it's feasibly possible to have a bit of each of the 13 teams in a 50 minute pre-show in Bahrain, I suspect there will be a preview show this year the week before the race at some point on BBC ONE.

#41 jb26

jb26

• 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 22:46

Great if true. Both Maurice Hamilton and Ian Phillips were very successful at making me sleepy.

3 hours of Croft / Davidson will as well. Croft (especially) just ended up repeating himself when he did both friday sessions last season. :well:

I hope Jason Swales has managed to get some decent replacements for Hamilton/Phillips, they will be sorely missed.

Legard gets on my nerves sometimes, but to be honest I don't think hes quite as bad as people make out. I didn't even notice half his catchphrases (On a charge, up the hill etc.) until I read the threads on them!

I agree, all this talk about Legard is a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by jb26, 30 January 2010 - 22:48.

#42 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:01

I agree, all this talk about Legard is a mountain out of a molehill.

No the talk about Legard was not enough. It didn't get him replaced. He is an incredibly bad choice, impossible to understand given the quality of the rest of the show.

#43 jb26

jb26

• 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:19

No the talk about Legard was not enough. It didn't get him replaced. He is an incredibly bad choice, impossible to understand given the quality of the rest of the show.

Do you really think a few people on an internet forum (out of the millions watching - who are very happy with the service offered) is really going to make that much of a difference?

There's nothing wrong with Legard, he's not in the Ben Edwards league, but neither is he down at the James Allen level either.

#44 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:24

Do you really think a few people on an internet forum (out of the millions watching - who are very happy with the service offered) is really going to make that much of a difference?

There's nothing wrong with Legard, he's not in the Ben Edwards league, but neither is he down at the James Allen level either.

So do you have some data for the millions watching?

#45 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:34

So do you have some data for the millions watching?

You could ask either camp the same question.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 30 January 2010 - 23:34.

#46 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:40

You could ask either camp the same question.

Well I'm asking the camp that's making the claim.

#47 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:46

Give me James Allen any day.

#48 jb26

jb26

• 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 23:50

Firstly, the audience appreciation figures rate the BBC's F1 coverage consistently high. It doesn't rate as highly as MotoGP (which rates higher than even the Olympic Games, yes even with Charlie Cox and Steve Parish) but it's not far away.

Secondly, there are what - a few hundred, possibly a few thousand people (at most) complaining on Internet forums? Also, we know how much the British like complaining and very rarely praise.

Thirdly, if he's as bad as what the likes of you make out, why has he been retained for a second season?

Fourthly, yes I do work for the BBC and am biased, but JL is unfairly criticised and deserves to be given a reasonable chance to prove himself. Just because he had a shaky start, doesn't mean he didn't improve vastly over the course of the season. A lot of rubbish is spouted about Jonathan, such as James Allen was better, etc. and it is just total and utter drivel.

#49 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 00:00

Firstly, the audience appreciation figures rate the BBC's F1 coverage consistently high. It doesn't rate as highly as MotoGP (which rates higher than even the Olympic Games, yes even with Charlie Cox and Steve Parish) but it's not far away.

Secondly, there are what - a few hundred, possibly a few thousand people (at most) complaining on Internet forums? Also, we know how much the British like complaining and very rarely praise.

Thirdly, if he's as bad as what the likes of you make out, why has he been retained for a second season?

Fourthly, yes I do work for the BBC and am biased, but JL is unfairly criticised and deserves to be given a reasonable chance to prove himself. Just because he had a shaky start, doesn't mean he didn't improve vastly over the course of the season. A lot of rubbish is spouted about Jonathan, such as James Allen was better, etc. and it is just total and utter drivel.

So we have the poll here showing 2/3 of us wanted him replaced, at the end of last year, and you have no specific data at all? Legard was criticised from the start, you had a whole year to do something about it, research it, and did nothing but dig in.

The fact that he's been retained is a disgrace, an abject failure of the process within the BBC.

Lead commentator who is not even a fan :rolleyes: .

#50 Cotchin

Cotchin

• 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 00:00

A lot of rubbish is spouted about Jonathan, such as James Allen was better, etc. and it is just total and utter drivel.

:drunk: :rotfl: :lol:

I guess the BBC needs someone to clean the toilets, hey.