Sauber: SUT / GUT / GUT /SUT

Williams: tba

Marussia: BIA / CHI / CHI / BIA

Caterham: FRI / KOB / ERI / KOB

Coverage:

http://live.autosport.com

Weather:

The 7 day weather forecast summary for Sakhir Circuit:

Over the next 7 days the Sakhir Circuit forecast suggests the average daytime maximum temperature will be around 23°C, with a high for the week of 25°C expected on the afternoon of Saturday 22nd. The mean minimum temperature will be 19°C, dipping to its lowest on the morning of Tuesday 18th at 18°C. Expect the coming week to remain predominantly dry. On the whole winds are likely to be fresh.

High Res Photograph sites:

http://www.formule1....brary/overview/

http://www.f1fanatic...egory/pictures/

Link to cluttered Jerez testing:  http://forums.autosp...r-testing-2014/

Edited by jrg19, 18 February 2014 - 13:28.

Advertisement

#2 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,086 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:58

Tomorrow can't come soon enough....  shame there is no decent TV coverage... unless I'm missing something?

#3 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,544 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:07

What are we all expecting from this test?

#4 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:07

Sadly not. 

#5 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:09

somewhat surprised to see Raikkonen will have the last two days. Probably reverse order for the Ferrari boys in the last test.

#6 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,086 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:13

To determine whether Renault have solved their problems, and get an idea of Renault performance (adjusting for the fact this is effectively their first test).

If they have solved their problems, then the next bit is have RBR fixed their side of the problems (i.e. will we see lotus, STR & Caterham doing loads of laps, but the RBR still be smoking)

Possibly some Aero updates (although these may be saved for final test)

Hopefully see the Ferrari and Merc engines turned up to full wick

We should also get a better idea of whether there will be tyre worries at a track with more representative temperatures.

#7 ste3900

ste3900

• 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:14

Does anyone know the times the teams usually have lunch?  Im heading down myself and don't want to get there just as they shut up shop for some hummous and a shawarma!

#8 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:18

Usually 1ish but at jerez there was no specific lunch break so it follows there wouldn't be one here.  The problem with that is the uncertainty of when they stop the benefit being there may not be a significant time of cars not being on track. Great lunch by the way! 

#9 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:25

For Mercedes and Ferrari powered cars.

Set up work in the morning, long runs in the afternoon.

Renault.

Hopefully some running.

#10 Mercedestorque1

Mercedestorque1

• 256 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:42

Purple sectors from Lewis :clap:

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,490 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:45

More race simulations from more than one team, getting times closer to actual laptimes at start of season, to learn how much of the Renault issues have been fixed, to learn how much of Red Bull issues were actually Renault issues.

To see Lotus on track.

:cool:

#12 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:46

Hope to see you guys on the Live chat :)

I will be there tomorrow!

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:53

A wind up of performance towards realistic pace; more long runs; reliability issues and a good idea of whether Renault have got a handle on their problems.

I'm expecting the 3rd test to bring out something of a representative pecking order.

#14 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:58

Pirelli confirms that for Bahrain it will have hard, medium and soft tyres, plus the 'winter' hard compound tried in Jerez

Teams will also get an extra set of medium 'prototypes' as part of preparations for 2015, when tyre warmers will be banned

#15 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:08

Hopefully lots of new bits and a some of the ugly noses gone!!

Testing new parts in the morning then sim runs in the afternoon and one team puts in a glory run for the sponsors.

#16 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:24

this much i can tell;all non Renault cars fans(like me) are secretly wishing them to fail again..  ;)

#17 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:32

Pirelli confirms that for Bahrain it will have hard, medium and soft tyres, plus the 'winter' hard compound tried in Jerez

Teams will also get an extra set of medium 'prototypes' as part of preparations for 2015, when tyre warmers will be banned

Interesting, looking forward to read what the drivers think.

#18 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:38

this much i can tell;all non Renault cars fans(like me) are secretly wishing them to fail again..  ;)

I ran out of things to cross, don't think I could stand another year watching finger boy running off in to the sunset..

#19 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:42

I ran out of things to cross, don't think I could stand another year watching finger boy running off in to the sunset..

is it sad though, wishing for a team to fail rather than wishing for the team you support to get better?

Advertisement

#20 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 13:28

is it sad though, wishing for a team to fail rather than wishing for the team you support to get better?

Not really....as long as it happens..

#21 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 13:31

Well if they fail then the team I support will be better than them. Unlike the last four seasons where they were pretty untouchable.

#22 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 13:49

RB pulling out of the garage 1 second after the track opens and running 120 laps for the day.

Merc and Ferrari turning up the wick only to find they have crankshaft problems.

This board subsequently imploding...

#23 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 14:42

Erm. Logging on to the forum and other "up-to-date" websites...... And subsequently doing feckall meaningful work. After the day is over - saying to ones self "WTF are you doing? It's only testing!".

Rinse and repeat........

#24 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 14:43

So it all comes down to this for Renault engine teams.

Mercedes and Ferrari teams will probably average 100+ laps every day....

#25 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 14:48

I thought I had posted my wishes ….

RB on fire, first lap.

That would make my day.

#26 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 14:54

Some good laps from all teams

New parts

More engine sounds/footage

A little less speculation by the motoring paparazzi

A little more interesting quotes/insights from team members

A little less hating from the non Renault fans/press towards Red Bull/Newey/Renault

Im getting excited for the new season to start. 

#27 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 17:21

Not really, I would be saying the same if the mighty McLaren was winning year after year and by a massive margin, I for one and I think I speak for a lot of people, is a little bit bored seeing Vettel 10s clear after the first 8 bends race after race. I like Redbull and I think Vettel is a wonderful driver but I LOVE F1 and still after 30 years of watching F1 racing I still get excited as the red lights go out. but the pass 3 years has became some what dull.

I like the new rules and engine as it makes its a more level playing field, well for half a season at least I hope. 

Edited by mclarennut, 18 February 2014 - 17:27.

#28 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 17:52

Does anyone know the times the teams usually have lunch?  Im heading down myself and don't want to get there just as they shut up shop for some hummous and a shawarma!

In Barcelona they had a mandatory lunch break from 13-14h. Because of noise laws or something like this... I don't think in Sakhir they will have a mandatory lunch break, but at lunch time it still could be a litlle quieter on the track because its lunch time and the drivers eat with their teams.

#29 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 19:55

Posts have been removed, let's keep it on topic and civil.

#30 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 20:00

I can't see that Red Bull are only here as long as they win. How many years have they had a team in F1? Ten? Then before that they sponsored Sauber, don't remember them winning thdoesn't much. But I agree, Red Bull aren't needed for the other teams to push as hard as they can.

Sponsoring a mid field team is a lot different to running one with the biggest budget. And you would imagine if they start dropping back they would either just drop out or throw more money at it until they get back to the top. And if they can't make it back to the top they would pull out too.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't know much about the owner of red bull but maybe he really loves f1 and will stay aslong as he can afford it. Or maybe f1 will become a more profitable championship for the teams and it wouldn't matter if he was winning or losing as the exposure alone would cover the teams budgets.

Does anyone know why Pirelli are they still bringing their special winter tyre to Bahrain? You would think the standard Pirellis would be fine, seeing as the teams were running them at jerez also.

Edited by Tapz63, 18 February 2014 - 20:04.

#31 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 20:12

Mustn't have much faith in their own teams - but then again, that's hardly surprising given how comprehensibly Red Bull has thrashed them in recent years.

#32 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 20:37

Mustn't have much faith in their own teams - but then again, that's hardly surprising given how comprehensibly Red Bull has thrashed them in recent years.

Who did you follow before you picked the recent winning team. Let me guess your a Londoner that supports Man Utd? 

Edited by mclarennut, 18 February 2014 - 20:40.

#33 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:11

So it all comes down to this for Renault engine teams.

Mercedes and Ferrari teams will probably average 100+ laps every day....

100 laps at Bahrian is a lot. After a quick look at Forix, that number was only reached three times by everyone who has ever tested there.

I'd say 65-70 laps a day this week will be reasonable and significant.

#34 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:28

I except to see a couple of very different noses tomorrow compared to what teams used in Jerez

#35 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:33

Who did you follow before you picked the recent winning team. Let me guess your a Londoner that supports Man Utd? 

Firstly, where did I say I like Red Bull? I just like the reaction they generate on here with people getting their knickers in a bunch every time they win because they're "just an energy drink", "don't have prestige", etc, etc. I'm a neutral, it's more fun to be that way. Life's too shot to be getting hung up about sports results.

Secondly, on the basis I have absolutely no interest in football whatsoever (and would rather watch paint dry), no. :p

#36 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:33

I except to see a couple of very different noses tomorrow compared to what teams used in Jerez

I hadn't thought of that, I hope you're right though! Mercedes nose, eleven times please! :)

#37 Tommay

Tommay

• 249 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:50

I'm interested to see what's going in with those wishbones!

#38 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:53

Given how revolutionary the news rules set was and given F1's propensity to change rules if they realise they have messed up (remember those silly winglets everyone ran on their side-pods for a while before they were suddenly banned) I imagine most teams will have developed a few different noses, particularly Lotus just waiting for theirs to be banned.

#39 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:59

Firstly, where did I say I like Red Bull? I just like the reaction they generate on here with people getting their knickers in a bunch every time they win because they're "just an energy drink", "don't have prestige", etc, etc. I'm a neutral, it's more fun to be that way. Life's too shot to be getting hung up about sports results.

Secondly, on the basis I have absolutely no interest in football whatsoever (and would rather watch paint dry), no. :p

JHSingo, people tend to judge by posting history, usually theres a pretty wide breadcrumb trail to follow......

For every argument that Redbull start there is an opposing one, like maybe FIA should not have allowed them to get through so many rule violations with nothing more then a slapped wrist.

Advertisement

#40 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:17

Not really, I would be saying the same if the mighty McLaren was winning year after year and by a massive margin, I for one and I think I speak for a lot of people, is a little bit bored seeing Vettel 10s clear after the first 8 bends race after race. I like Redbull and I think Vettel is a wonderful driver but I LOVE F1 and still after 30 years of watching F1 racing I still get excited as the red lights go out. but the pass 3 years has became some what dull.

I like the new rules and engine as it makes its a more level playing field, well for half a season at least I hope. 

I think I speak for a lot of people who would like to see Vettel continue to dominate and extend his already impressive records.  So any way it comes out, a lot of people will be happy.   Although I think most would be happy enough with the top cars all having a fair go.

As for testing, I don't have much in the way of expectations.  It is rarely an accurate predictor.  Remember how Macca 12 tests looked like it would perform like the Macca 13 car actually did?  You just never know.

On the bright side, since we are in Bahrain, testing starts at 10pm on the west coast, so I will be able to follow a bit more than usual.  Good Stuff.  :up:

Edited by bourbon, 18 February 2014 - 22:19.

#41 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:47

This week is all about lap count. To finish first, first you must finish

#42 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,345 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:57

Let's expect we can get any info about fuel consumptions.  Those that attempt to run full race simulations will show something i hope.

#43 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 23:21

This week is all about lap count. To finish first, first you must finish

Yes but in F1, usually you have to be fast. 

#44 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,345 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 00:23

Very interesting article by Omnicorse

http://www.omnicorse...quattro-secondi

Between other things this:

ERS can value from 2:68 to 3:59 seconds by Magneti Marelli calculations.

#45 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:09

Lots of dust and sand currently:

http://grandprix247....oom-in-bahrain/

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:23

They had best glue it down then.

Hope to see some of you on the LIVE chat.

Nice OP there btw
Jp

#47 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:19

Bingo.

We can't beat them, so lets hope they have problems. Then we can win with mediocrity.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

#48 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:13

Excellent OP. This week shall be mighty interesting.

#49 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:49

another 10 minutes...

#50 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:54

Lets see if any Renault teams will make it out for 9am - That alone would show an improvement from Jerez. Didn't hear them all fire up...