Photo
- - - - -

How will you react if Rosberg wins the title in a scenario enabled by double points?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
395 replies to this topic

Poll: How will you react if Rosberg wins the title in a scenario enabled by double points? (498 member(s) have cast votes)

How will you react if Rosberg wins the title in a scenario enabled by double points?

1. A deserved title (159 votes [31.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.93%

2. Rosberg is the double points champion, Hamilton is the Real World Champion (212 votes [42.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.57%

3. Lewis would've thrown it away anyway (23 votes [4.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

4. I don't care about who will win the title and how (61 votes [12.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.25%

5. I will be disgusted by the outcome and may never watch F1 again (43 votes [8.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.63%

Vote

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:31

My opinion will depend on what has happened in the race. If Lewis did everything right by things just didn't fall together for him, Lewis will be the champ in my books. But if it was an inevitable choke by Lewis, then I can safely say he would've thrown it away anyway.

Still, will probably be so disgusted with F1 that consider never watching it again.

Advertisement

#2 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,784 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:33

Deeply disappointed then move on.  Everyone knows who the deserved Champion is this year, if I were Rosberg I'd be embarrassed to accept it.  But he will.  And the record books will show him as WDC.  I think it'll be a massive blow to F1 and to Bernie, there will be a few months of never-ending chatter about the stupidity of it.  But the record books will stand.

#3 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:35

Laugh and then laugh some more.

#4 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:38

I voted real champion vs double points champion, would like to vote might never watch again too. But that depends on if they keep the idea for next year. I think it's unlikely that he'll win just because of it anyway.

#5 krod

krod

• 122 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:40

I will paint my bottom blue, and wear a hairshirt for at least a month!

To ensure that I make my point, I will prefix all sentences with the word "rabbit".

#6 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:47

I don't agree with the concept but they're the rules for this year, it's not like they were suddenly introduced 2 months ago. If the rational is that the WDC should go to the driver who's driven best this year neither would get it in my book... and so whoever wins should be too embarrassed to accept it and give it back   ;)

#7 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:49

Is this another useless threath of Hamilton fans that just want to whiny about double points bc they might be scared that their god might not be as good as they think he is, lets remember just one tiny rule, the driver that get the most points wins the WDC i bet you werent complaining on how Massa deserve more the championship in 2008, but think of this the other way around, i bet everyone would be loving Bernie for double points if it was Nico who was on the lead and Lewis needed the double points, im putting this simple, it doesnt matter if for you he is the champion, if he lost the battle in the last race he is not the champion he is the runner-up.

#8 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,506 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:49

If Nico wins, he is to be congratulated. The same goes for Lewis.

#9 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:57

I think the real doomsday scenario expired in Brazil.

Had Lewis won the 1-2 there, it would have been a 31 point gap and hence the WDC would have been won under "regular" scoring.

It's now 17 points, and Lewis can still win by coming in behind Nico. I struggle to imagine either Merc struggling to finish second assuming a 2-car finish. If Lewis retires and Nico wins, Nico would have won the WDC during single points too.

If by some miracle Lewis has a problem outside of his control and as a result can only come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th then I will be a little bit bitter.

#10 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:58

He would be worthy IMO. It's not his fault, the way the rules are written. I despise the rule though, but that's on FOM and the FIA, and they should be reciveng the venom if the mentioned scenario occurs.

Edited by ollebompa, 10 November 2014 - 19:59.

#11 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:59

Is this another useless threath of Hamilton fans that just want to whiny about double points bc they might be scared that their god might not be as good as they think he is, lets remember just one tiny rule, the driver that get the most points wins the WDC i bet you werent complaining on how Massa deserve more the championship in 2008, but think of this the other way around, i bet everyone would be loving Bernie for double points if it was Nico who was on the lead and Lewis needed the double points, im putting this simple, it doesnt matter if for you he is the champion, if he lost the battle in the last race he is not the champion he is the runner-up.

Why do Hamilton fans offend you so much?

Double points is clearly an artificial rule and trying to pass everyone who is against the rule as a biased, deluded Hamilton fan is a bit sad to be honest.

Some just want sporting integrity to stand and for the better driver to win. A sixth/seventh (because of double points) terminal mechanical issue (versus two for Nico) would cast a huge cloud over the championship. I'd say the same whoever was involved.

#12 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:59

I'll be a little disappointed, rather like I was in 1994 and a probably a little less interested in the sport than I was before. To have a champion crowned on the basis of something so utterly contrived and cynical would cheapen the sport to the point that it would lose a great deal of credibility it's managed to cling on to. Whoever the beneficiary may be, is irrelevant.

However, I will then turn off the TV and go about my business. I doubt I will give it a great deal of thought either. It's just a sport and whilst it's entertaining, it's really not important.

Edited by superden, 10 November 2014 - 20:00.

#13 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,399 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:02

Same as superden really, except I won't just turn my TV off and get on with the day. I'll be irritated.

#14 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:04

realistically Mercedes will finish 1-2 (in which case Hamilton will it). For Rosberg to win it Lewis will basically need to retire, cause their car is that much faster than the opposition Lewis can coast to P2 while listening to music on headphones and playing chess over the radio with his engineers. I see pretty nill possibilities of Lewis finishing somewhere between 3rd and 7th which would be what's required to make double points decisive. So ... 

#15 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Hamilton and Rosberg were competing with the same rules all season, so whoever wins it will be deserving. It's not Rosberg's fault if the rules suck. If Hamilton loses, he'll probably be suicidal, though.

#16 zottzell

zottzell

• 133 posts

Don't really care that much, both are skilled drivers and proven winners being flattered by a totally outstanding car so whoever wins wins.

It's so far above the rest that the championship itself is tainted.

Edited by zottzell, 10 November 2014 - 20:06.

#17 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:05

Even for Nico himself, I hope he won't win the title because of the double points.

I rather see him winning the title because of Hamilton having an unlucky retirement than just being outpaced by somebody to finish only third.

#18 Donka

Donka

• 853 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:07

In the old 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system Hamilton would only be leading by 1 point and would have to win in AbuDouble.  Having to come in 2nd with a dominant car shouldn't be hard.

#19 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:12

I'll enjoy Rosberg's WDC as much as I have enjoyed any. He's put himself in a position to win according to the rules, and if he does .... so be it. 

Advertisement

#20 Junky

Junky

• 815 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:15

I think I might know better the forums' reaction than my own. All I know is that this is gonna implode and the server will break!

Edited by Junky, 10 November 2014 - 20:15.

#21 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:19

I actually planed to visit the movies that night. But not for one second I would swap any movie to the drama that would go on on this forum.

So I would sell my tickets, get some popcorn, plug in the computer to the 42-inch tv, press F5 some times and have a crack of a drama infront of my eyes.

'buhudhduuh so unfair!!' 'BURN IN HELL BERNIEEE :mad: ' etc.

loool, bring it on. :lol:

#22 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:21

I think the real doomsday scenario expired in Brazil.

Had Lewis won the 1-2 there, it would have been a 31 point gap and hence the WDC would have been won under "regular" scoring.

It's now 17 points, and Lewis can still win by coming in behind Nico. I struggle to imagine either Merc struggling to finish second assuming a 2-car finish. If Lewis retires and Nico wins, Nico would have won the WDC during single points too.

If by some miracle Lewis has a problem outside of his control and as a result can only come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th then I will be a little bit bitter.

I agree. At this stage double points could still have an influence on the outcome, but in any case in not as dramatic fashion as might have been expected by the craziest scenarios.

#23 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

It would be absolutely hilarious.  :lol: :up:

I've said at the start of the season that the drama this would create would be a fitting reward for this silly scheme.

As for which driver gets the title, I don't care. Hamilton has had the edge over Rosberg during the season. The points aren't as important to me.

#24 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

I won't particularly care, to be honest. In a way, I view the points gap between them to be small enough that it (hopefully) won't make too big a difference.

I mean, if Hamilton held a 49 point lead and retired in Abu Dhabi, with Rosberg winning, that'd be bad. But I wouldn't be too angry if Rosberg won with the situation we have now.

Frankly, it's all academic, because even if Hamilton has a 'mare, he's still very likely to finish second, especially with Merc seemingly having got their reliability problems under control as of late.

#25 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:22

The Rules, however stupid they may seem, are the same for everybody. Voted deserved champion.

#26 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:24

Even for Nico himself, I hope he won't win the title because of the double points.

I rather see him winning the title because of Hamilton having an unlucky retirement than just being outpaced by somebody to finish only third.

I think the chance for Lewis being outpaced by another that Nico will take something like a driver error by Lewis and then you an say about him he threw away the title.

but for the first line...

Why?

Senna has already proven in 1990 that "everything for the title" is a normal thing for drivers but he took it to the most extreme manner I ever have seen and it still makes my blood boil when I think about how he defended it and even worse, got away with it.

Same for Schumacher in 1994 and 1997 though one step below Senna's level of selfishness.

Nico isn't anywhere near that level in my point of view but since....

- Should Prost have let Senna pass at Suzuka down in 1989 and assist in Australia as well to make sure Senna got the title after all because he won the title primarily because of Senna's many retirements?

- Was Piquet willing to let the title go to Mansell because he never won nearly as many races as Mansell yet finished more often in 1987?

- Was Prost to park the car to avoid staling the title away form Mansell an/or Piquet in 1986 and a Williams driver diserved the title the most of all?

- Should Lauda have handed the title to Prost in 1984 since Prost was the better driver but less lucky

Do I need to go on and on and on....

???

I never liked the thoughts about the double points of the race. But I must live with it and frankly I don't care who wins it. Both men have done enough over the years to make no fan of either of them.

Henri

#27 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:25

realistically Mercedes will finish 1-2 (in which case Hamilton will it). For Rosberg to win it Lewis will basically need to retire, cause their car is that much faster than the opposition Lewis can coast to P2 while listening to music on headphones and playing chess over the radio with his engineers. I see pretty nill possibilities of Lewis finishing somewhere between 3rd and 7th which would be what's required to make double points decisive. So ... 

Well, Hamilton finished 3rd in Germany. There is a possibility for Hamilton to finish between 3rd and 7th, he just needs to have a lengthy delay during the race for something - either broken front wing on the first lap and an extra pitstop. And unlike Rosberg in Russia the tyres won't enable to go till the end. Or stall on the grid and start last. Or malfunctioning electronics for half a minute like in 2007. :p Or a pitstop delay, where a wheelnut is not fitted properly and Hamilton is wheeled back into the box (but doesn't get DQ since he doesn't reverse).

Puncture is also something, which costs you lots of time, but may not completely ruin your chances of getting points. Schumacher finished 4th in Brazil in 2006 on a day, when Ferrari may well have been even more superior than current Mercedes!

In 2007 Ferrari and McLaren were so far above others, that people could have said - no way is Hamilton going to finish below 5th in a "normal race". But look what happened.

Edited by sopa, 10 November 2014 - 20:28.

#28 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:26

There were seasons you dropped results this is no different really the driver with most points at the end of the season is the winner. It's the same for everyone.

#29 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:29

There were seasons you dropped results this is no different really

Well it kind of is. It's the worst system ever compared to the best system ever.

Edited by E.B., 10 November 2014 - 20:30.

#30 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:31

I dont know why but i have a feeling Nico will take it, just a hunch.

#31 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:32

I wonder if Hamilton has a delay during the race and fights for minor points, people will look for calculators to see, who would be the real WDC. "Okay, now Lewis is up to fifth position - this means under the correct system he would be WDC." :p

By the way, without Abu Double Hamilton would need P6 to secure the WDC.

#32 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:32

I'd be a bit disappointed, not because I'm a Hamilton fan (I'm not, I don't really mind who wins races/titles) but because bringing in double points was an answer to a question nobody asked. If Hamilton finishes 8th for example (for any reason) and Rosberg wins the race I'll think "well Rosberg would've won the title anyway so I don't mind" but if Hamilton finishes 4th and Rosberg wins I'll feel like he's been cheated out of it (ok maybe being cheated out of it is a little bit extreme).

I just hope they ditch the rule for next year. Ironically the teams voted for the rule, then changed their minds when they realised all the fans thought they were a bunch of brainless idiots (to put it politely) for doing it and everyone hated it. They should just consider themselves lucky that Hamilton didn't win and Rosberg get 0 points in Brazil, as that'd give Hamilton a 49 point lead with Abu Double to go, and if he then lost the title by a point in that situation, well, all hell would well and truly break loose (I expect F1 to be ridiculed worldwide if Rosberg wins the title because of double points, but less so if he'd have won it under the old system)

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 10 November 2014 - 20:37.

#33 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:39

There were seasons you dropped results this is no different really the driver with most points at the end of the season is the winner. It's the same for everyone.

In theory yes, but practically only Nico can steal the title with double points now, so it does not apply to Lewis. I wonder how many here would have been singing a different tune and eating into Lewis if the roles were reversed :p

#34 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:41

So Rosberg would be a DPC and not a WDC if it comes to pass :p

#35 kamikaze1

kamikaze1

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:46

I wonder would there be this much drama going on in the board if the roles were reversed..... that it was Hamilton going into the last round with a 17 point deficit.  I can't imagine that scenario being this dramatic with people looking for positive reinforcement of their narrow-minded views.  

If Rosberg wins it any which way, he is WDC.  Same goes for Hamilton.  Build a bridge.... get over it.  Rules are rules.  

#36 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:47

I would be gutted. Currently, we're talking 10 wins to Hamilton, 5 to Rosberg. Then there's Rosberg's Monaco antics, his almost self entitlement cries in Hungary. His lingering bitterness of being beaten by his team mate at the same race who started in the pitlane. And the result  which played onto his mind and spilled through to Spa. The fact that Rosberg hasn't even won back to back races, let alone a consecutive sting of 4, then 5 victories on the trot. The times Hamilton has destroyed an x second advantage against Rosberg, who sat in by far the best car for a long, long time which pretty much guarantees him a podium, therein minimising the points difference, no matter what his team mate may do. Rosberg's comments in Italy regarding Hamilton being lucky. His comments last weekend where he said he would have beaten Hamilton without his spin, etc.

I'll post an analogy. Back in the days when BMX's were a new toy (early 80's), I worked my way hard to compete. One of my classmates was lucky enough to have the best of everything. Lightest frame, best rims, etc.... We turned up at a regional qualifier, both put in the same heats. He lost. Come Monday morning at school, I was a social pariah. I'd dared to beat the rich kid! And that's what Rosberg reminds me of, a spoiled rich kid. The sense of entitlement I found with a school mate at 14 years old reverberates around the entire persona of Nico Rosberg. Yeah, he may be a great driver, but he's not gracious, he's got no real social etiquette apart from that being bought by his luxurious upbringing, and a host of PR people to help him stutter his way through press interviews.

I'll take results on track combined with a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, calls it how it is and can drive the arse off any car and worrying opponents into making mistakes any day!

Edited by MrPodium, 14 November 2014 - 21:10.

#37 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:50

Without any reliability issues, Hamilton can come P2 at the least blindfolded in this rocketship so he will stroll to the title 

#38 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:52

None of they are deserving anyway because the car is so dominant this year. Oh wait...

If we had any integrity we'd say "because of the double point fiasco this year's championship should not count". But we should have said that at the beginning, not now when there is a chance that some people's favorite driver will not win it or other people's favorite driver may just. As f1 fans we should boycott Abu Dhabi by not going/watching.

Edited by RealRacing, 10 November 2014 - 20:53.

#39 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:54

If Rosberg wins it, I imagine there will be enough backlash that the FIA will have no choice but to repeal it for a very, very long time--last I heard they were still on the fence about whether or not to keep it. If that's still the case, I'm pulling for Rosberg and the veritable s#%t-storm of bad press to follow so the FIA will hopefully show that there are indeed more than two functioning brain cells in the whole of their organisation (even three would be welcome at this point) and respond to the fans.

The sad thing is, neither of the drivers really 'win' in this scenario. Rosberg, if he wins the title through the gimmick, will likely get derided by many for being a 'fake' champion and Hamilton will have to deal with this abomination potentially keeping his name out of a rightful second entry in the record books. Unfortunately, this is the only outcome that I feel would guarantee the FIA's stupidity gets them the worldwide outrage it deserves--so ideally, I'd like to see Rosberg win it via double points. You thought the criticism at the start of the season was bad? Wait until you see a title decided by it.

Edited by Afterburner, 10 November 2014 - 20:58.

Advertisement

#40 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:57

As f1 fans we should boycott Abu Dhabi by not going/watching.

And then to imagine that the double points were introduced to enhance the chance that Abu Dhabi still would be the title deciding race and thus enhancing the chance that people would come to the track to see the race.....

Henri

#41 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 25,040 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:57

Picture this: In the last corner of the last lap, Hamilton gets all out of shape and slips from second to third, while Rosberg wins the race, AND in the post-race scrutineering the secret NO² cylinder is finally found, resulting of both Mercs losing all 2014 points.

Now, that would be entertaining. Any other outcome would be 'meh'

#42 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:05

I couldn't care less, though if I was a Hamilton fan I'd be mighty pi*sed off and with good reason. All I want is some drama at that race. What I expect is for Rosberg to cruise to the win and Hamilton to cruise to 2nd and the title to sum up a generally dull year at the front.

Edited by topical, 10 November 2014 - 21:06.

#43 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:06

think id remember spa and monaco, and lewises reliability

#44 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:16

None of they are deserving anyway because the car is so dominant this year. Oh wait...

If we had any integrity we'd say "because of the double point fiasco this year's championship should not count". But we should have said that at the beginning, not now when there is a chance that some people's favorite driver will not win it or other people's favorite driver may just. As f1 fans we should boycott Abu Dhabi by not going/watching.

Where have you been living all this time??  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

http://forums.autosp...-season-merged/

Edited by Otaku, 10 November 2014 - 21:21.

#45 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:16

I wonder would there be this much drama going on in the board if the roles were reversed..... that it was Hamilton going into the last round with a 17 point deficit. I can't imagine that scenario being this dramatic with people looking for positive reinforcement of their narrow-minded views.

If Rosberg wins it any which way, he is WDC. Same goes for Hamilton. Build a bridge.... get over it. Rules are rules.

But the inherent unfairness of this absurd rule was detested virtually universally right from the start.

Having looked at the potential scenarios, I actually think double points are unlikely to affect the outcome so I will keep my toys in my pram about it for now. It's the potential for injustice that's the worry, not whether or not a driver I like or dislike is set to gain or lose from it.

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:18

Hamilton has clearly outperformed Rosberg this year. Any outcome that does not reflect that is up for question.

#47 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:21

I will be happy that Nico 'my guy' won a WDC, I will be downcast that F1 have made such a poor display and endgame of a brilliant season by a Lewis.

:cool:

#48 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,106 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:27

I would come on here and post how the sport is ruined, F1 will not exist in 10 years, how greedy Bernie and CVC are, and tell the world how I will stop watching F1.  Then 3 days later I'll continue posting here during the offseason and be up to watch P1 in Melbourne next spring.

#49 fque

fque

• 217 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:29

What about the old rule in 1988 where Prost scored more points but only counting the best 11 results so Senna won.

In 89 Prost won with less wins too, due to a number of Senna's retirements.

Hate the game don't hate the players.
whoever wins without team orders deserve to win.

Edited by fque, 10 November 2014 - 21:32.

#50 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:30

None of the above, but the rather straight shrug of the shoulders attitude of 'rules are rules' and 'most points win' mantra seems to wilfully and blindly miss the point that it's a horrendously artificial rule (and also quite different to the views expressed when the rule was first announced!). Even if it has no effect on the outcome it still needs to be removed. A race which is the same as any other but awards double points for the sake of it cannot be justified, ever. And while the focus may be on positions 1 & 2 this rule also has the potential to throw a spanner into the other championship positions too.

Just to add, thankfully Rosberg doesn't need to solely rely on the artificiality of double points.

Edited by P123, 10 November 2014 - 21:31.