* * * * * 2 votes

F1 silly season 2016 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4002 replies to this topic

#3001 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 17:26

Should McLaren hire a rookie in their current situation?

I think it's actually the ideal time to hire one - there'd be very little pressure on him, and there would be no risk of him throwing away big results, because realistically Honda won't be competitive until 2017. So he could have a learning year with little pressure and little loss to the team before hopefully a better engine in '17.

Advertisement

#3002 Mian30

Mian30

• 119 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 17:45

There's one reason why Vandoorne should be chosen.
He won the first race in FR3.5 he participated
He won the first race in GP2 he participated

As rookie he was impressive and won lot's of races in both feeders.

There is no other young driver who has the same stats.

Following that logic Kevins father, Jan Magnussen, would have been five times WDC at least  :cool:

#3003 Fedcup

Fedcup

• 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 18:21

Following that logic Kevins father, Jan Magnussen, would have been five times WDC at least :cool:

You've got a point. But it remains impressive. Just look at the race at moscow raceway where Vandoorne demolished the opposition (including magnussen) with two poles, two fastest laps and two wins.
Those are all signs of something extra, something special

#3004 Boutsen

Boutsen

• 102 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 18:55

Should McLaren hire a rookie in their current situation?

Why not?

An experienced driver could maybe provide slightly more accurate feedback and will be able to perform at the very best of his capabilities when he has to. He might even read into racing situations better, think more strategically and benefit from it, thus scoring a couple more points over the course of a season. But I would not underestimate the knowledge and racing experience of the current flock of young drivers.  Magnussen and Vandoorne have both been part of the McLaren team for about three years now and have both spent quite a few years racing at the front of all kinds of spec series.  They actually spend way more time in Woking and in the simulator than the main drivers do.  These guys are getting properly trained on every single level. Granted, true experience does come with actual racing, but it's not as if they would step into the complete unknown should either of them get the seat. For the sake of clarity, I still consider Magnussen a sort of a rookie. He's had no racing experience whatsoever this season and Macca is now in bed with Honda i/o Merc and there's been some other restructuring on top of that. He would be facing a semi new team.

A rookie is also very eager and very motivated and is an investment for the future. Not sure Button still is. Obviously he's an absolute top class guy, very professional and still very fast. But he's also a former WDC and wants to fight for wins. That's currently simply not possible. Furthermore, he has only got a few more years to go in F1. He probably won't see the day anymore when McHonda becomes competitive again, even if he signs for another season or two... 

A rookie is also an awful lot cheaper. Given the financial outlook for next year, the team might have second thoughts about signing up two expensive drivers. Big sponsors might not be too happy with that at first, but if the rookie performs well, the story can change quite rapidly. It's a risk in that sense, but not necessarily doomed. Cf. Verstappen at Red Bull.  I don't think they have regretted signing him from a marketing perspective. But if he would have pulled off a couple of Pastors instead of Alonsos, that story could have turned out quite differently...

Also, we're not talking about the next Inoue or some average joe paydriver. Both Magnussen and Vandoorne are properly talented guys.  I do rate Vandoorne more and, provided the Button rumour is true, I would prefer him to get the seat over Magnussen. Magnussen does deserve another shot, but Vandoorne is better and faster. The results speak for themselves. One actually has to go back to the Hamilton/Hulkenberg days to find a driver that can put forward such statistics in the junior series. He also had to do it all by himself.  He does not have a rich daddy/sponsor or a professional racing driver daddy with connections who paid or nursed him along the way. The only way for him to enter and progress in single seater racing was simply to win, full stop. No wins = no support from the RACB and no prize money, hence no fundings to progress. That's how he got into F4, then FR2.0 and eventually WSR. After that, McLaren took over part of the finances.  Not bad to make it that far purely on talent and merit, methinks.

If he could get into F1 like that (no major sponsors, just talent and some 'operational' support), my faith in F1 would be somewhat restored  :)

P.S. I'm a fan. I know, I know.

Edited by Boutsen, 23 September 2015 - 19:10.

#3005 Mian30

Mian30

• 119 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 19:22

Why not?

An experienced driver could maybe provide slightly more accurate feedback and will be able to perform at the very best of his capabilities when he has to. He might even read into racing situations better, think more strategically and benefit from it, thus scoring a couple more points over the course of a season. But I would not underestimate the knowledge and racing experience of the current flock of young drivers.  Magnussen and Vandoorne have both been part of the McLaren team for about three years now and have both spent quite a few years racing at the front of all kinds of spec series.  They actually spend way more time in Woking and in the simulator than the main drivers do.  These guys are getting properly trained on every single level. Granted, true experience does come with actual racing, but it's not as if they would step into the complete unknown should either of them get the seat. For the sake of clarity, I still consider Magnussen a sort of a rookie. He's had no racing experience whatsoever this season and Macca is now in bed with Honda i/o Merc and there's been some other restructuring on top of that. He would be facing a semi new team.

A rookie is also very eager and very motivated and is an investment for the future. Not sure Button still is. Obviously he's an absolute top class guy, very professional and still very fast. But he's also a former WDC and wants to fight for wins. That's currently simply not possible. Furthermore, he has only got a few more years to go in F1. He probably won't see the day anymore when McHonda becomes competitive again, even if he signs for another season or two... 

A rookie is also an awful lot cheaper. Given the financial outlook for next year, the team might have second thoughts about signing up two expensive drivers. Big sponsors might not be too happy with that at first, but if the rookie performs well, the story can change quite rapidly. It's a risk in that sense, but not necessarily doomed. Cf. Verstappen at Red Bull.  I don't think they have regretted signing him from a marketing perspective. But if he would have pulled off a couple of Pastors instead of Alonsos, that story could have turned out quite differently...

Also, we're not talking about the next Inoue or some average joe paydriver. Both Magnussen and Vandoorne are properly talented guys.  I do rate Vandoorne more and, provided the Button rumour is true, I would prefer him to get the seat over Magnussen. Magnussen does deserve another shot, but Vandoorne is better and faster. The results speak for themselves. One actually has to go back to the Hamilton/Hulkenberg days to find a driver that can put forward such statistics in the junior series. He also had to do it all by himself.  He does not have a rich daddy/sponsor or a professional racing driver daddy with connections who paid or nursed him along the way. The only way for him to enter and progress in single seater racing was simply to win, full stop. No wins = no support from the RACB and no prize money, hence no fundings to progress. That's how he got into F4, then FR2.0 and eventually WSR. After that, McLaren took over part of the finances.  Not bad to make it that far purely on talent and merit, methinks.

If he could get into F1 like that (no major sponsors, just talent and some 'operational' support), my faith in F1 would be somewhat restored  :)

P.S. I'm a fan. I know, I know.

Rich daddy/sponsors, that's news to me, can you provide the insigths where Magnussen and Verstappen paid to get forward (paydrivers)?

Can we please acknowledge that GP2 this year is.not that strong.

To compare, Rossi equals Stevens, who was nowhere when teamed up with Magnussen.

Edited by Mian30, 23 September 2015 - 19:55.

#3006 Montie

Montie

• 1,840 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 19:50

Just to make it clear Jan Magnussen has neither nursed or paid for Kevin's racing. Kevin has done it on his own as well.

#3007 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 19:58

A rookie paired up with Alonso at McLaren with Ron Dennis in charge. What could possibly go wrong?

#3008 Boutsen

Boutsen

• 102 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 20:00

Rich daddy/sponsors, that's news to me, can you provide the insigths where Magnussen and Verstappen paid to get forward (paydrivers)?

To compare, Rossi equals Stevens, who was nowhere when teamed up with Magnussen.

I did not claim that Verstappen or Magnussen were paydrivers !

I was comparing Vandoorne's situation with drivers who have tons of money through sponsorship or rich families (e.g. De Jong whose father owns the racing team he is active at, Ericsson being backed by some local wealthy Swedes, Cecotto (until recently) or Maldonado with PDVSA, Palmer and his dad, Haryanto and his Indonesian backers) AND drivers who are the 'son of'.  Magnussen and Verstappen are part of the latter. All I was trying to say is that these two for example have a certain advantage over ANY other young drivers. If your dad is a professional racing driver who has actually driven in F1, rather then an interior architect who is oblivious to racing, I'd say the guy with the racing dad has the advantage, regardless of the actual talent one may have. And let there be no mistake, both Magnussen and Verstappen are obviously talented lads. I was just trying to put things in perspective... All I was trying to say is that Vandoorne did not have the 'advantage' to have access to big piles of money nor did he have a mentor/dad with racing experience and who happens to know his way into the snake pit that is F1 racing. Think of it as having a facilitator.

As for the GP2 field not being this strong this year or not, difficult to assess. None of the previous years have been really remarkable with only experienced drivers winning the championship. Fact is that since the introduction of the Pirelli tires and the F1-like regulations, Vandoorne is the first one to dominate the series like in the 'old days', possibly even more. Is it because he is so good or are the others really that crap or is it something somewhere in between? Honestly don't know, but the guy must be doing something right, right? Or are the likes of Lynn, Gasly, Rossi, Evans really that sh*te?

About the Stevens thing ... nothing to add to that  ;)

Edited by Boutsen, 23 September 2015 - 20:02.

#3009 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 20:12

When was the last time we had a GP2 field this good? Just because vandoorne is dominating does not mean it is not a good field. Why does rossi equal stevens? Rossi has had 1 race in f1, and he beat stevens.

#3010 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 21:16

We are delighted to confirm that @SChecoPerez will remain with the Team for the 2016 season! #FeelTheForce pic.twitter.com/SIJXJeJnlk

#3011 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 21:27

How does Rossi= Stevens? Stevens basically came from off the radar as a upper midfield FR driver Rossi had a first year in GP2 that compares with anybody bar Vandoorne and has been talked about for a while as a potential f1 driver. In regards to the strength of GP2 I'd rank it as the strongest field for years.

#3012 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 21:55

That was weird

Fernley says its gonna be confirmed on the Mexican GP... and in the same day he says that Sergio is confirmed

Oh wel

#3013 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 22:01

We are delighted to confirm that @SChecoPerez will remain with the Team for the 2016 season! #FeelTheForce

Good #news for both of them. Pérez no doubt had quite the moment of self-doubt when he was 'let go' from McLaren, but he has more than held his own against Hülkenberg.

Force India is not going to be chasing wins, unfortunately for them, but they're a solid team that has actually done quite well this year considering the rough winter they had.

Let's hope they can do better next year and hit the ground running.

#3014 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 23:47

Italian sources saying Ferrari possibly trying to get Ric for 2017 as part of the PU negotiations: http://www.guiamotor...?noticiaId=9871

#3015 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 23:55

Italian sources saying Ferrari possibly trying to get Ric for 2017 as part of the PU negotiations: http://www.guiamotor...?noticiaId=9871

Wonder how Vettel might feel about that?

:p

#3016 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 00:17

...it makes sense.

It would have been either Ricciardo or Verstappen, or an option on either one of the drivers (silently I'm not too tearful about it being Ricciardo, a top notch Ferrari engine in a Red Bull with Max would be awesome).

Edit : after a lot of you "race" fans are being so negative towards Ferrari supplying an A-grade engine to Red Bull, if this would be part of the deal and Ferrari is able to improve themselves some more...imagine the positive aspect which could come out of it in `17...

...Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen all chasing after the `17 WDC title at the same time...that could end up to be one big slugfest.

Edited by CurbPainter, 24 September 2015 - 00:36.

#3017 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 00:42

Wonder how Vettel might feel about that?

:p

tumblr_nam9i7z9oq1sgyhqdo1_400.gif

#3018 tifosii

tifosii

• 475 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:06

oh,would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari

#3019 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:43

Some Belgian specutaltions by f1journal.be 

Stoffel Vandoorne on the road to the 'new' Renault F1 team ?

SEPTEMBER 24, 2015 - Does Renault in Formula 1? We still have no definitive answer about but Renault was our compatriot already on the shortlist as a possible rider for 2016.

Where Stoffel Vandoorne driving in 2016? It's a question we ask ourselves more emphatically than when Vandoorne actually GP2 champion will be.

This makes sense because Vandoorne dominates this year's GP2 season as never seen before. Earlier this year it was the explicit demand of McLaren, which had Vandoorne finishing second season in GP2. The expectation was that McLaren Vandoorne would not only win the GP2 title, but also emphasize once again in the spotlight would drive.

And whether Vandoorne did. 108 points ahead of Alexander Rossi Vandoorne, indeed, the American who must finish five races this season for Manor F1 team. During the next GP2 race in Sochi can Vandoorne put the GP2 title to his name, and which deal with a further two race weekends. Vandoorne drove emphatically in the spotlight and not only at McLaren, where he is part of the McLaren Young Driver program, but also our compatriot is driven into the spotlight with the other F1 teams.

However, the problem remains that McLaren with a luxury problem is. Alonso and Button as a current driver line and reserve driver Kevin Magnussen on the bench was the end of last year already clear when McLaren after months of procrastination finally cut the knot and Magnussen after only one F1 season on the side pushed for Alonso and Button retained as second driver.

But what seems to be moving in the F1 world. Jenson Button announced in Japan probably his retirement from Formula 1, with which a race seat would be released at McLaren. Moreover, it would also Fernando Alonso's poor results of McLaren-Honda are tired. The Spaniard would have come to the realization that he at McLaren-Honda next year not for the world will be able to compete.

Alonso was in Singapore spotted in the mobile home of Red Bull, which obviously does fuel the speculation about a possible move to Red Bull. Theoretically, that is possible because in the contract the Spaniard a clause that he can get on smoothly with disappointing results at McLaren. That would mean that McLaren suddenly must complete two race seats, though it seems to us unlikely that this will happen.

More remarkable, however, is that Vandoorne his name at Renault would be emphatically in the picture. The French car manufacturer is still to decide whether to continue in F1. If that is the case then it will probably happen through an acquisition of the Lotus F1 team, where Pastor Maldonado has already been confirmed. Romain Grosjean should give way to another driver and rider could well Stoffel Vandoorne may be, however.

Vandoorne which not only McLaren could ride for another team? It definitely belongs to the possibilities. Monza showed McLaren team boss Eric Boullier indeed still understood that the squad would do everything to Vandoorne next year to get a race seat in Formula 1, if need be with another team.

"Another team" that would according to sources of 'Het Laatste Nieuws' so Renault can be. "We plan the young drivers that give us grew up with an important role in our project" Let someone know of Renault against the same newspaper.

And then of course it is not surprising that there is to Stoffel Vandoorne imagined. Our compatriot, after all, fits perfectly into this picture because Vandoorne took part in the Formula Renault 2.0 (champion) and Formula Renault 3.5 (runner-up).

Moreover, 'Het Laatste Nieuws' that Renault lot of staff work that "bridge the gap between the French team and Vandoorne." Starting McLaren boss Eric Boullier, who spent years working for Renault and Lotus F1 team. Boullier still has a good relationship with Gerard Lopez, the current Lotus owner who is also a takeover by Renault portion would remain part of the squad.

There is also Cédric Vasseur, the team boss of Stoffel Vandoorne in GP2. Vasseur could potentially play an important role at Renault. Of course there is also Nicolas Todt, son of FIA boss Jean Todt, and also the manager of Pastor Maldonado. Todt would be only too happy to be the manager of Vandoorne, who is considered one of the greatest talents.

'Het Laatste Nieuws' saw Sergio Perez called a potential hijacker on the coast. After all, they have a big bag sponsorship with the Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim. But the hijacker was dropped last night because Perez was confirmed for next season with the Force India team.

His chances for Vandoorne increased at an F1 race seat in 2016? That we may well ask, if you are not certain of a race seat in Formula 1 when you signed your contract. Though even that is no certainty yet that if the Dutchman Giedo van der Garde early this year encounter with the Sauber F1 team.

Nevertheless, we estimate the probability of an F1 race seat for Vandoorne today much higher than a few weeks ago, as there have arisen additional opportunities through the events of the past days.

It will be interesting times for the Belgian F1 fans ...

:lol: This hilarious.. " Alonso was in Singapore spotted in the mobile home of Red Bull, which obviously does fuel the speculation about a possible move to Red Bull."   :lol:  ...perhaps he´s going to buy himself a F1 team.  :lol:  :p

Advertisement

#3020 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:52

So...

Mercedes: Hamilton/Rosberg
Ferrari: Vettel/Räikkönen
Williams: Bottas/Massa
Red Bull: Ricciardo/Kvyat(?)
Force India: Hulkenberg/Perez
Lotus: Maldonado/Vergne(?)
Toro Rosso: Verstappen/Sainz(?)
Sauber: Ericsson/Nasr
McLaren: Alonso/Vandoorne(?)
Manor: Wehrlein(?)/Rossi(?)
Haas: Grosjean(?)/Gutierrez(?)

#3021 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:56

Some Belgian specutaltions by f1journal.be 

:lol: This hilarious.. " Alonso was in Singapore spotted in the mobile home of Red Bull, which obviously does fuel the speculation about a possible move to Red Bull."   :lol:  ...perhaps he´s going to buy himself a F1 team.  :lol:  :p

LOL. Cedric Vasseur is an former bicyclist, the guys name is Frédéric Vasseur...

#3022 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:14

Isn't that a Spanish website though?

Italian Gazetta reported earlier Verstappen would possibly be included in the deal. Perhaps its going to be Ricciardo but i wouldn't start celebrating just yet   ;)

#3023 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:52

...Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen all chasing after the `17 WDC title at the same time...that could end up to be one big slugfest.

I can't see how you can bracket Verstappen with the others at this point. Sure he us a promising youngster with a stellar pre F1 career but dozens of drivers have never fulfilled similar potential

#3024 shmoo

shmoo

• 162 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:09

oh,would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari

Ferrari dont need him they have Vettel. 

#3025 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:25

Maybe Ferrari don't need but we need Daniel Ricciardo alongside Sebastian Vettel  :D

#3026 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 14:29

RBR thought that too... but then 2014... :p

#3027 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 16:02

I can't see how you can bracket Verstappen with the others at this point. Sure he us a promising youngster with a stellar pre F1 career but dozens of drivers have never fulfilled similar potential

You're just not seeing things right! Verstappen has already proved he is a future multiple world champion somehow and if you think otherwise you're obviously a hater!!!!!!!!!11

Etc, etc.  ;)

To avoid any confusion, I agree with you. Just mocking some of the rhetoric on here when it comes to Verstappen.

#3028 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 16:40

You're just not seeing things right! Verstappen has already proved he is a future multiple world champion somehow and if you think otherwise you're obviously a hater!!!!!!!!!11
Etc, etc.  ;)

To avoid any confusion, I agree with you. Just mocking some of the rhetoric on here when it comes to Verstappen.

You forgot to mention that Vettel on the other side stil needs to prove that he is an multiple WDC :lol:

#3029 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,952 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 21:03

Haas is going to announce its drivers on tuesday evening, 18.00 british time.

#3030 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 21:23

Haas is going to announce its drivers on tuesday evening, 18.00 british time.

Ive read 17 CET, that must be 16 BST

#3031 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 21:35

Would that announcement include a goofy Frenchman and a Mexican that looks a bit like a hobbit?

#3032 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 22:23

Would that announcement include a goofy Frenchman and a Mexican that looks a bit like a hobbit?

I'd be down with that.

#3033 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:24

Dutch press suggesting Kyvat might have to leave RB after this season.

#3034 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:27

Would make absolutely no sense.

#3035 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:30

According to Olav Mol, Dutch tv presenter who does have some inside contacts, Red Bull has an option on Kyvat for '16, but didnt use it yet. Kyvat now apparently is talking to Renault (?).

Agreed with you Marklar: sounds like a very big and unlikely rumour.

#3036 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,909 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:32

They would say that, cause it might mean Verstappen is in at the mother team.

#3037 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:33

Good job Sherlock ;-)

#3038 Auzz

Auzz

• 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:45

Agreed. How much I'd like to see Max in a more competitive car, it would be bonkers to let Daniil go. After Monaco I've found him rather solid.

Edit:
However. If it's true, perhaps it's part of the exit deal. Silly season right :-p

Edited by Auzz, 25 September 2015 - 06:53.

#3039 shmoo

shmoo

• 162 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:51

Or Alonso's chat with RB in Singapore has come into play.   ;)

Advertisement

#3040 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:06

Agreed. How much I'd like to see Max in a more competitive car, it would be bonkers to let Daniil go. After Monaco I've found him rather solid.

Edit:
However. If it's true, perhaps it's part of the exit deal. Silly season right :-p

Kvyat to Renault to exit the engine deal; Verstappen to Ferrari to initiate the new one.  :drunk:

#3041 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:13

According to Olav Mol, Dutch tv presenter who does have some inside contacts, Red Bull has an option on Kyvat for '16, but didnt use it yet. Kyvat now apparently is talking to Renault (?).

Agreed with you Marklar: sounds like a very big and unlikely rumour.

It's Olav Mol...Can't remember the last time that man said something relevant or something that made sense.

But lets think about this rumour potentially being true for a second. I think Kvyat is doing a good job and deservers his drive at Red Bull but it would be exciting to see Verstappen(In that case it's going to be him, is it?) alongside Ricciardo though

#3042 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:20

I think Kyvat still suffers from his racepace syndrome.

If you compare his laptimes in free air, he's just a lot slower than Ric. I saw Kyvat doing 51's and 52's in Singapore while Ric was doing 50's. Same in Hungary, Belgium etc. he's had some races fall his way which made him look better. But obviously the team has all data and can make perfect comparisons.

#3043 Sarkis

Sarkis

• 279 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:59

Another rational explanation might be that Red Bull have yet to exercise the option on Kvyat because with some uncertainty surrounding the team, they do not want to be on the hook for the contract should they end up exiting F1. 

That said, there is some logic if Kvyat feels he runs the risk of losing the Red Bull seat in one of the upcoming two seasons, that he'd jump to a Renault factory effort that could eventually become quite competitive, even if the start could be painful. (Renault's previous factory team didn't exactly get off to a flying start either) So much uncertainty, at least for outside observers though, that it's likely just speculation.

In a way Ferrari trying to extract a young promising driver as part of an engine deal makes some sense. They know that Red Bull is in a bit of a tricky spot if they want to continue with their F1 effort (and if not, their driver contracts will be pretty useless anyways), whereas Ferrari will likely have an open seat in 2017. Given the apparent difficulties they had getting drivers from other teams if speculation is to be believed (Bottas mainly), and their junior team not exactly being stocked with talent (None of Fuoco, Marciello and Stroll for example look like clear F1 material, let alone high end F1 material, at the moment), getting a driver out of the Red Bull stable could make sense. 

#3044 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:31

My thoughts:

ALO wants to go to Red Bull

Kvy not needed anymore then

Renault would take him

McLaren now wants to convince BUT to stay because McLaren without a big name is not enough

$$$ saved because of ALO gone to RB will probably convince BUT to stay at Mclaren

Ferrari might delaying th engine deal because they want certainty about "Schumacher Who?" they are supllying...

Don't think Ferrari would be happy to give ALO a WDC winning engine for 2016.

call me crazy, but I thinnk this is going on right now...

#3045 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:48

May I ask where the Alonso Red Bull rumours are coming from? The man has just signed a big contract for multiple years at McLaren. If Ferrari had to pay Bottas 15m to break with Williams, how much do you think it would cost Red Bull. Apart from that, why would Red Bull ditch Kvyat. The problem at the moment is that the car/engine isn't good enough. Next year with a better engine, they might be at the front again. Then you have an experienced Ricciardo who leads the team, and Kvyat to challenge him (make or break for him.) Verstappen and Sainz need to get more experience, which they can get at Toro Rosso. In 2017 the better of the two will move to Red Bull.

Renault is going to have a French driver. Or one that has good links with Renault like Buemi? Or Magnussen even, he was there 2013 champion after all.

#3046 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:56

McLaren is currenttly hemorrhaging money so selling Alonsos seriously expensive contract to Red Bull in exchange for the very promising Kvyatt makes sense. They do probably need a number two driver who can bring some much needed sponsors as well.

#3047 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:58

Silly season has turned...well...silly....

#3048 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:20

GRO Haas confirmed

#3049 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:23

Quite exciting to see what Grosjean could do in a new team.  

#3050 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:34

http://m.autosport.c...t.php/id/120977

Not confirmed, but Autosport thinks so.