Photo

'The Chain' returns to the BBC!

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:41

In a shock announcement on BBC radio 5 news this morning it appears the ITV broadcasting contract for Formula One Grand Prix racing which had the balance of a 5 year term to run will now come to an end this year and from 2009 F1 racing coverage will return to BBC2, the first time since 1996. They have signed a 5 year contract.

Personally I think this is really great news, I would be even happier if they choose to start with a clean sheet and ditch the entire presentation team currently in place.

I suppose one must ask why has this suddenly happened ? Ratings ? Dissatisfaction with the present programmes by viewers ? The enormous amounts of action that is lost to the viewer in advertising breaks, something like 20 minutes of a 2 hr programme which also works against the companies who advertise on the side of the cars ? Hard to understand just how BBC can afford this unless the price being asked has been greatly reduced in return for a higher class presentation and image in UK for the GP racing.

Michael Grade who has been in charge at ITV now for just 12 months , when he started did make it clear budget savings and a change in the type of programming would be a priority.

A BBC spokesman said this morning that funding would come entirely from the current sports broadcasting budget and would not mean changes to any other output.

BBC Sport director Dominic Coles said they were approaced by BCE to do the deal

Anyway I greatly look forward to hearing those nostalgic tones of Fleetwood Mac in 12 months time. Good news I think.

Would be a rather nice touch if they could get Murray Walker who had a 40 + year history commentating for BBC to introduce the first programme of the new era.

A glimpse of the past in that eventful '94 season with the full original version of the tune playing.

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:55

That's quite a surprise...

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/7306123.stm

..... but a very welcome one.

#3 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:36

They must keep Martin Brundle, in a perfect world team him with the brilliant Ben Edwards.

#4 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:42

Originally posted by RTH

Personally I think this is really great news, I would be even happier if they choose to start with a clean sheet and ditch the entire presentation team currently in place.

Brilliant news! If they keep the man from Kings Lynn it will be just dandy! I wonder who will front the programme.....MB?

#5 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:44

I'd heard some rumours of this from media and marketing colleagues but I was doubtful of their veracity, until hearing this on the radio this morning; it just didn't sound likely.
I don't know what the ratings are, but have they dropped and made it more affordable? Or are the BBC thinking they really did drop the ball in the past? I'd have thought that the price of securing the rights to broadcast such a sport would have been a stumbling block, as the off-track posturing and ludicrous financial excess steadily makes the sport look crazier than football; not to mention any socially- or enviromentally-based hostility... I would imagine there'll be a degree of controversy over this!

#6 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:51

I think the beeb have been smart enough to see that Lewis is here to stay (he's only 23) and he can potentially be at the very top for many years, at least the 5 years of their new contract. F1 is 'cool' again thanks to Lewis, even people down the pub are talking about it rather than an odd mention in recent years when 'boring' was the key word. Banning TC and the introduction of these terrific young drivers on the scene are making it watchable again.

#7 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:52

Terrific news!

For years the swear box in our house has reached overflowing at each ad break, and I have done my best to boycott any manufacturer paying for advertising space during a Grand Prix, but now I wonder.....how will I go for a pee?

#8 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:53

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
They must keep Martin Brundle, in a perfect world team him with the brilliant Ben Edwards.

:up: Excellent choice :up:

#9 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:16

In Holland we had a similar case with Football (soccer) TV rights. After 3 years with a commercial broadcasting company, they returned to the 'old' NOS (dutch BBC). This is not fully comparable as all football clubs had to vote, still money talks, especially in these big buck deals. Still apparent is that the commercial broadcasting companies do have to take a step down due to decreasing advertising income. Talpa paid 35M for one season in 2005, now NOS pays 'only' 16M.

Great for the BBC and hopefully without adds. Still it will not bring back the great days ....

#10 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:23

fantastic... now I can record the 4am races as ITV is not a Sky+ channel :yawn:

yes I am a wuss

#11 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:46

The previous BBC2 highlights introduction

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...E1Mo849ugE&NR=1

#12 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,357 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:48

I bet money that it's all brought about by a young McLaren driver. :up: :up: :up: Love" The Chain".

#13 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:55

Ah, but are the BBC producing the programme in house, or are North One still going to be involved?

#14 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:00

Let us hope they will take everything in house Steve and bring us back the great days of BBC motor racing coverage.

In the words of the song ' you don't know what you've got 'till it gone ' and that has certainly been the case for 12 long years.

#15 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:37

Lots of questions to be answered here, but surely ITV had several years left on their contract? For some reason, they must have wanted an excuse to drop F1 coverage, looks to me as if ITV have handed the contract to BBC themselves with Bernie acting as middleman. I suspect they may have done some kind of swap deal with the BBC's football coverage.

Not the first time this phrase has appeared here, but 'A smart move by Bernie'. Now the only way that companies can get their names across to F1 viewers is through sponsorship or trackside advertising, no doing it on the cheap through advertising in the ITV ad breaks.

And Martin Brundle has the job for as long as he wants it, he's that good, but I can't see a single one of the other ITV crowd being taken on by the BBC, especially James Allen.

#16 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:38

Me: Great news. F1 is back on the BBC. No more ad breaks.

The wife: Good, it'll be over quicker :

#17 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:43

Originally posted by SWB
Terrific news!

For years the swear box in our house has reached overflowing at each ad break, and I have done my best to boycott any manufacturer paying for advertising space during a Grand Prix, but now I wonder.....how will I go for a pee?

Can I offer my sincere thanks to the BBC, while making a few constructive suggestions? Starting with one for SWB: I respectfully suggest an empty hot water bottle, along with a very understanding wife/partner.

BBC please get Martin Brundle.
BBC please DON'T get James Allen, Louise Goodman, Mark Blundell, Ted Kravitz and Steve Ryder....and definitely NOT Murray Walker.

Please keep and extend the grid walkabout, but cut-out all the other pointless interviews, 'feature 'insights' and interminable infills of pure waffle and concentrate on the action.

They don't even need 'the Chain' - just maybe a recording of a Ferrari engine on a quick practise lap.

And if they ceased their coverage of horse racing, golf, darts, snooker and athletics it may even result in a drop in the cost of a TV license.

#18 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:54

Great, a change is as good as a rest. How about Martin Brundle and Damon Hill on the commentry and Mark Blundell with say Jackie Stewart doing the chit chat. :up:

#19 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:57

Er, I quite liked the ITV coverage. You have to agree that there was a lot of it. I doubt the BBC will be able to offer an hour of build up before every race, and will they devote as much time to qualifying? The BBC sport website coverage of F1 news is a joke, whilst ITV's website is very informative with pre-season testing times and videos. I hope we're not going to be told to "press the red button now" and they put most of it onto the BBC interactive channel, as I don't have digital, and have no intention of getting it.

And the BBC iplayer doesn't work for Apple users.

-------------------------

Welsh Motor Sport History

Advertisement

#20 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:01

Originally posted by johnwilliamdavies
I hope we're not going to be told to "press the red button now" and they put most of it onto the BBC interactive channel, as I don't have digital, and have no intention of getting it.

Aren't they switching the analogue signal off this year?

#21 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:02

I can hand my sky plus back now, I only had it to skip the adds on ITV.

#22 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:03

Great news and they must keep Brundle. I wonder if Damon would be interested in joining him; could be like the old BBC Sportsperson of the year chats!!

I wonder if they'll use Charlie Cox, Steve Parish and Suzie Perry? I think they're great on Moto GP but not sure if so good for F1.

P.S. Please keep using "The Chain" BBC!!

#23 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:05

You can watch on an Apple but not download.

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:08

The gift of prophecy? :wave: :wave: ;)

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:18

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Sign here, guv .... ;)

#26 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:09

Er, I quite liked the ITV coverage. You have to agree that there was a lot of it. I doubt the BBC will be able to offer an hour of build up before every race, and will they devote as much time to qualifying? The BBC sport website coverage of F1 news is a joke, whilst ITV's website is very informative with pre-season testing times and videos. I hope we're not going to be told to "press the red button now" and they put most of it onto the BBC interactive channel, as I don't have digital, and have no intention of getting it.

-------------------------

Welsh Motor Sport History

I for one will be glad to see the back of half the pointless one hour build up which had little to do with the race & more to do with ITV getting paid to publicise products.

For the enthusiasts who will have taken the trouble to watch practice then a quarter hour pre-amble followed by Brundle's grid walk-about is more than enough.

I agree that James Allen MUST go, as should Louise Goodman, 'Lenny' Kravitz, Mark Blundell and Steve Ryder. As to who should be on the team how about Ben Edwards & Martin Brundle in the commentary box with Suzi Perry doing the link work and interviews.

I am sure the BBC will do a better job than ITV, I just hope they have the bottle to get rid of the afore-mentioned wastes of space.

As for the Red Button, it might be very nice to be able to watch the whole GP from an in-car camera!

:cool:

#27 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 13:24

Shame we don't still have Raymond Baxter available to commentate.

#28 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 13:44

And Mr Hunt too.

I was watching an old film of my late Dad the other night and Dickie Davis was doing the commentary and I thought he was very good, wonder if he's free!!

#29 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:41

Charlie Cox would be great and, after all, he was a car racer before he turned to two wheels. I am sure he would inject exactly the kind of latter day 'Walkerisms' that the BBC need. Not one to be impressed by the F1 egos is Charlie. But would he fit into the F1 Paddock after years with the freedom of the bikers domain ?

Mark Blundell has been consistently excellent, he is knowledgeable, well balanced and tells it like it is. He would be a great asset.

Martin, no question.

Guest appearances from Murray, of course !

The Chain, essential.

Most of all they need to remember F1 should still primarily be a a great sporting occasion so let them get rid of all the endlessly boring bits about 'my tyres grained during the nineteenth stint' etc and focus on the characters and the racing. :cool:

#30 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:50

I do hope they will bring back the 45 minute potted version on BBC2 on Sunday evening so we can watch when we come back from an event.

Yes, Martin and Damon would be good. I don't actually see that Mark B is all that bad but what about having someone like Eddie Irvine to fill the "James Hunt" slot with a bit of edge!

I've watched a few GPs while on holiday abroad and all the presentations are exactly the same except for the people doing them! Commentator plus ex driver do the commentary and presenter and ex driver do the bits in between. The last one I saw used Lauda and Surer I think.

The programme should start 15 minutes before the start.

#31 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:57

Originally posted by Derwent Motorsport
The programme should start 15 minutes before the start.

That would make it a bit difficult to squeeze in the essential interviews with well known F1 personalities like Danni Minogue and Kelly Osborne.

#32 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:34

Originally posted by kayemod

That would make it a bit difficult to squeeze in the essential interviews with well known F1 personalities like Danni Minogue and Kelly Osborne.

Arf.

The daft thing is that it's very easy to do a decent build-up. When RTE had F1 coverage we got some great stuff. While ITV were up the front end of the grid getting a bunch of "No comments" from the drivers, RTE were at the back talking race strategy with the midfielders and minnows.

#33 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:41

Danni Minogue actually came out with a relatively well informed comment about Honda..... she has been an F1 groupie for many years to be fair to her

#34 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 17:03

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Force

Mark Blundell has been consistently excellent, he is knowledgeable, well balanced and tells it like it is. He would be a great asset.
[/quote]

Not a natural broadcaster though...

Martin, no question.

Absolutely. ITV seem to have stopped using him for anything other than F1 so he presumably becomes free at the end of the year.

Guest appearances from Murray, of course !

Maybe. But he's getting a bit.... unfocussed.... Best to remember him in his prime?

The Chain, essential.

Absolutely. And dot-matrix Longines timing screens. And the commentator's voice down a crackly phone line. All adds to the atmosphere.

Most of all they need to remember F1 should still primarily be a a great sporting occasion so let them get rid of all the endlessly boring bits about 'my tyres grained during the nineteenth stint' etc and focus on the characters and the racing. :cool:
[/QUOTE]

NO LIFESTYLE STUFF. THIS IS NON-NEGOTIABLE. Racing is about racing, and most modern drivers lack sufficient personality to be worth interviewing before/between races.

#35 p261brm

p261brm

• 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 17:17

Could not be better news, Martin definitely, not so sure about the others, Murray? I think he has got used to his Sunday off! but sure as hell fire needs some one close. Can not wait; no more buy one get one free sofa adverts, plus er indoors gets to make the T.

#36 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 17:34

Originally posted by simon drabble
Danni Minogue..........she has been an F1 groupie for many years to be fair to her

Jacques Villeneuve would confirm that last bit.

#37 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 18:18

I heard somewhere that the BBC have signed up Quentin Willson & James Allen. Music will be by Jacques Villeneuve and sung by Dennis Waterman. I do hope all of that was a joke!!

#38 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:00

Originally posted by Gary C
I heard somewhere that the BBC have signed up Quentin Willson & James Allen. Music will be by Jacques Villeneuve and sung by Dennis Waterman. I do hope all of that was a joke!!

I would have thought that DW would want to write the music & Lyrics as well as starring in it!

Quentin Willson might not be too bad as the smoothie intro man but not that blithering numbskull James Allen! I have seen slugs with more charisma and talent! :rolleyes:

#39 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:10

Denis Waterman has said that working for Bernie took him right back to when he was Arthur Daley's sidekick...

I do hope the Beeb ditches the 'Hello magazine' aspect that's been so prevalent in ITV's broadcasting and gets back to the serious business.

The best policy for commentators would be to have Brundle on permanent duties, with different guests - not just drivers, but designers / managers etc - every GP. Damon Hill is pretty good. It would really be something to have the likes of Moss / Surtees / Gurney et al put in guest appearances behind the microphone...I can dream I guess...

Justin

Advertisement

#40 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:32

Great news - at last the promise of coverage once more uninterrupted by those cretinous adverts - and presumably this could guarantee at least a first year of retirement work for David Coulthard before lack of broadcasting talent is proven? Or otherwise?

As far as I am concerned the Beeb should forget about the awful hour of wasted electrons leading up to each race - just a soccer-match time-slot for a soccer-match-length Petit Prix and then we can carry on watching a proper sport like cricket or rugby union, or in extremis unzip ourselves from the telly and get on with real life...

I agree that Brundle is excellent, not sure about Blundell - good bloke right enough but his mangling of my language gets right up my nose. Lord knows I'm no purveyor of the Queen's English - with my 'ampshire accent no way - but Mark's "...the car wot won only done so because of the driver's fro'all control..." (as in throttle control) simply drives me to distraction.

The rest of ITV's team are long overdue for the bin. Disappointingly so. I once had high expectations of them. Silly me. Perhaps Mr E. did too...

DCN

PS - Horrible thought. The Beeb's suits might assume that Top Gear people could attract a broader audience to Formula 1? ---- me!!!! :eek:

#41 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:35

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the news this morning on the way to work. Let's hope that the new BBC coverage harks back to the glory days of "Murray and James". I hope that Martin Brundle is involved in some capacity.

#42 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:45

Originally posted by drivers71

BBC please get Martin Brundle.
BBC please DON'T get James Allen, Louise Goodman, Mark Blundell, Ted Kravitz and Steve Ryder....and definitely NOT Murray Walker.

Please keep and extend the grid walkabout, but cut-out all the other pointless interviews, 'feature 'insights' and interminable infills of pure waffle and concentrate on the action.

Mostly agree.
Brundle is a must.

Allen, Goodman & Kravitz MUST return to obscurity. Please, please, please no Richard "utterly without talent or sense" Hammond.

There are far, far more colloquial, in formative & intelligent ex-Grand Prix drivers than Mark Blundell. I know Damon is too busy these days, but maybe Derek Warwick, Tony Brooks, Sir Stirling, Sir Jackie, Perry McCarthy or someone else might be free?

Ryder is okay, better than blooming Rosenthal.

I also fully agree Murray should not be back.

The main thing I ask them - which Walker & Allen wouldn't do is remember... there are 22 drivers on the F1 grid, not 1.

The grid walkabout used to be informative - now it's just a joke with meaningless interviews with meaningless "celebrities". Cut the rest of the fluff. Go to the race 10-15 minutes before & more or less straight in the action. Use some of the current BBC staff & mix them up with some new faces and Brundle & it will be excellent.

However I fear the same will happen to "Grand Prix" on the BBC as has already befelled Ski Sunday. :cry: I expect 10 minutes of live action & then 50 watching a celebrity, maybe say, Ant & Dec drive a Honda or some other **** bucket around Brands Hatch or something. Whoooo indeed. :rolleyes:

#43 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:45

Bring it on BBC :clap:

ITV even managed to make the Goodwood FOS look flat as a kipper all 22 minutes of it!

sack them all except Martin maybe with Suzi Perry as his sidekick (eye candy
) :love:

#44 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 20:35

It's all very well loving the old BBC coverage (I have very fond memories of Murray and James) but I always had an issue with their attitude of 'treat all sports with equality', which meant leaving qualifying at Monaco to watch the 1:30 at Doncaster.

#45 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 22:43

This really is terrific news, if rather perplexing. Why, with Hamilton around to attract the Great British Public, are ITV apparently voluntarily giving up coverage? :confused:

I'd like to see the Radio 5 guys, past and present, involved. Maybe Jonathan Legard doing the commentary with Brundle, and hopefully Maurice Hamilton involved somewhere too.

Brundle's grid-walk has to go (I hit the mute button for its duration). It's just embarrassing.

And the Grand Prix obviously has to be a show in its own right, not just a part of Sunday Grandstand (does that still exist?) like it was in the old days.

And The Chain is of course a must!

John

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 22:58

Originally posted by Doug Nye

PS - Horrible thought. The Beeb's suits might assume that Top Gear people could attract a broader audience to Formula 1? ---- me!!!! :eek:

Just watching News 24 newspaper review: according to the front page of "The Times" The Hamster is front-runner as presenter. Oh dear .....

#47 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 00:49

Presumably Bernie knows that the BBC doesn't carry advertising? I always thought that advertising was part of the overall product he was selling. It doesn’t seem like him to reduce commercial opportunities. I can’t help thinking there’s more to come.

#48 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:30

Originally posted by Roger Clark
Presumably Bernie knows that the BBC doesn't carry advertising? I always thought that advertising was part of the overall product he was selling. It doesn’t seem like him to reduce commercial opportunities. I can’t help thinking there’s more to come.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

#49 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:51

'front page of "The Times" The Hamster is front-runner as presenter'
That's what I've just heard -- oh dear. This doesn't bode well for whoever else they will be getting in.

#50 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:24

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Perhaps this from Timesonline goes to it somewhat: "Ecclestone’s approach came at an opportune time for the BBC. With ITV parking Formula One mid-contract, the sport could not demand a premium for the rights — and only the BBC could deliver the mass audience Ecclestone required. ITV can now argue that its Champions League gamble has paid off."