Photo

Pink Japanese sponsor

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:04

Anyone knows what the (Japanese) company is called that sponsored Noritake Takahara's car in the 1977 Japanese GP (and then later appeared on 935 and 962 Porsches at Le Mans and also in F3000 plus the Brabham F1 team)? They advertised their logo (written in Japanese) on a pink background

Advertisement

#2 km1164

km1164

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:43

Garage Italyia

#3 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:14

The company was called 'Itariya Goji', or in full 'La Moda Itariya Goji' - written in Kanji characters as 'Itariya' on the cars, and most often romanised as 'Italya' on entry forms etc.

They were ( still are, although not in the hands of the original and very individual owner ) a Japanese ladies apparel company, based in Daikanyama, Tokyo. The pink colour was part of their corporate identity.

Here's the current company's website: http://www.italiya.ne.jp/

More specifically, Takahara's rides in '77 were sponsored by an offshoot - 'Garage Italya', which I believe the boss of Itariya Goji set up to import supercars from Italy. They still exist, and you can see the Kanji 'Itariya' used in their corporate logo.

Here is their website: http://www.garage-italya.co.jp/

#4 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:02

Thanks!

#5 jadb1

jadb1

• 404 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48

Posted Image

#6 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:19

Nice Mooncraft 'Shiden' 77 model, jadb1.

Something a little larger ( 1:1 scale! ), parked in my friend's warehouse in Japan:

Posted Image

#7 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,965 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 16:52

I'd always wondered who they were! :lol:

#8 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 18:52

Originally posted by PS30-SB
Something a little larger ( 1:1 scale! ), parked in my friend's warehouse in Japan:

Just wondering if you or your friend knows the paint colour code for the pink. I am trying to build a model of the 1989 Fuji Joest 962.
Thanks Mike

#9 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 19:03

Originally posted by mfd

Just wondering if you or your friend knows the paint colour code for the pink. I am trying to build a model of the 1989 Fuji Joest 962.
Thanks Mike

Mike,
Hopefully should be able to get a colour reference for you. Let me look into it for you - but give me a little time, OK?

I won't forget.

#10 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 19:59

Mike, hopefully should be able to get a colour reference for you. Let me look into it for you - but give me a little time, OK? I won't forget.

Thanks a lot - check your e-mails :up:

#11 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 20:53

Nice Mooncraft 'Shiden' 77 model, jadb1.

Posted Image

Didn't most of the Mooncraft bodies conceal older single seaters, mainly F2s, that were no longer competitive in that series?
Any idea what's under that rather attractive bodywork?

Chris

#12 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 21:30

Originally posted by Chris Townsend

Didn't most of the Mooncraft bodies conceal older single seaters, mainly F2s, that were no longer competitive in that series?

Chris

Mooncraft also used to "restyle" old Gp.6 chassis, the car pictured is very close to a rebodied GRD 73S, raced by Tetsu Ikuzawa...I think that checking Mooncraft website could definitely help...

http://www.mooncraft.jp/eng/index.html

#13 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 00:13

Originally posted by Chris Townsend

Sorry Chris ( and fausto ) - I should have mentioned that this car is just a bit of fun. Not the original Mooncraft 'Shiden', but a replica ( or more accurately, a lookalike ) made as something of a tribute to the long-departed original. Was made with the original Mooncraft body moulds though, I am told.

Please don't laugh at the running gear.........

Edit:
Bah! Imageshack is not playing ball tonight. I'll have to post pics of drivetrain and chassis tomorrow.

#14 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:46

Trying again with ImageShack...... ( clickable thumbnails ).

Posted Image

Posted Image

The replica is built around a Japanese Formula Junior chassis, and uses a Subaru FJ1600 engine. The body panels were taken from the original Mooncraft moulds, which still exist.

The original Mooncraft 'Shiden' was built around a modified March F2 chassis, and used a BMW M12 engine. They later used a Mazda rotary in it.

#15 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 21:21

Sorry Chris ( and fausto ) - I should have mentioned that this car is just a bit of fun. Not the original Mooncraft 'Shiden', but a replica ( or more accurately, a lookalike ) made as something of a tribute to the long-departed original. Was made with the original Mooncraft body moulds though, I am told.

Please don't laugh at the running gear.........

Edit:
Bah! Imageshack is not playing ball tonight. I'll have to post pics of drivetrain and chassis tomorrow.

What happened to the original if I may ask? A thing of beauty this replica is!

#16 LOLE

LOLE

• 313 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 21:39

Goodwood 2004, driven by Bruno Giacomelli...

Posted Image

#17 PS30-SB

PS30-SB

• 219 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:41

Originally posted by ghinzani

What happened to the original if I may ask? A thing of beauty this replica is!

The original got a new body ( known as the 'Shiden Kai' - 'kai' meaning 'modified' ) and that got modified itself too - ending up with an open top like all the other Grand Champion series cars.

It finally met it's end in a crash that resulted in a fire ( driver OK though ) and was so badly damaged that it was relieved of still useful parts and the remains scrapped.

I'm very pleased to see that you like the looks of replica, as I think one of the goals of making it was to demonstrate just how interesting the original was. It certainly has an impact when you see it in the flesh, so to speak. Trouble is, there's not a lot that it can actually participate in meaningfully........

I think the 'Shiden' was a great effort for 1977, and Mooncraft are often overlooked or ignored just because of their location and language.

#18 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 13:25

Originally posted by LOLE
Goodwood 2004, driven by Bruno Giacomelli...

Posted Image

Nice to see one "worn at the edges" from the Mason collection, I believe.

#19 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,547 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 22:48

Italya Trading I believe was Yoshiyuki Hayashi's company - Hayashi having become one of the world's most prominent historic car collectors, at one stage owning no fewer than four Alfa Romeo Tipo B Monoposti plus dozens of other fine cars including the Lotus 49 now in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, the ex-Colin Crabbe/Neil Corner Mercedes W125 and many more.

DCN