Photo

Lotus 23/Mercury GT History with Jack Paterson

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 22:24

I have a Lotus 23 which has a history that can be followed pretty reliabily back to the late '60 (67-68) when it was purchased from a Mr. Jack Paterson and first imported into the USA by a Mr. Mike Gue in Atlanta. (I have talked to Mr. Gue and many other of the owners along it's path and am confident it is a real car) At the time the car was purchased it had been converted to a Mercury GT with a BDA 1300 cc motor and FT200 gearbox. It was supposedly raced by or for a Mr. Jack Paterson and possibly a Dutch gentleman in the Motoring News Championships in '66 or '67. (Probably '67 in the Mercury GT configuration) The car presently carries the frame number of AM78 although I cannot find any confirmation of this on the frame and has a chassis plate with the number 23S103. This number did not come up in the history until the car was sold by SASCO in the early '90s. and there are two other cars with that number that are in the Lotus 23 registry. So, I am trying to find my way back from Mr. Paterson to the factory and the proper serial number if possible. Any help with this matter would be very much appreciated.

For the record, I have owned the car for 5 years and have attended the Monterey Historics a number of times as well as the Wine Country Classic and the race at Coronado in San Diego. You can see some of these races from onboard the car if you go to Youtube and search for Don Stark. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:13

Was not the Mercury GT produced by D&A Shells at the eastern end of the Bow flyover in east London, Abbey Lane - Livingstone Road area IIRC; more info here:

http://www.race-cars...gt/mercgtss.htm

#3 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:53

It is my understanding that the Mercury GT was a body kit that turned the Lotus 23 into a GT car that was capable of running as a GT during 1967 and later when the 23 was getting uncompetitive in the sports racing group. It was made in England and a number of 23s were converted. My 23 would probably have been run as a Mercury GT after 1966. I am looking for a connection with Jack Paterson/the MercuryGT and the Motoring news Championships. One of the fellows who drove a Mercury GT at the RAC Sports Car Championship was a Mr. Alan Fowler. I think he was also involved in the production of the bodies and the conversion of 23s. Mercury GTs were also run by Bob Miller, and George Silverwood. I find no reference to Jack Paterson though. I would appreciate anyone you might know who knows about the Mercury GT and possibly how many were converted and for whom.

Don Stark

#4 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:23

Jack Paterson started racing a Lotus 23 in 1966, having previously raced a Lola Mk1. According to Robert Barker's "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" this was chassis 23/S/106.

Looking through my programmes, he raced at Brands Hatch 8 Oct 67 in the Guards Championship sports racing event (ie not GT) with a 1149cc Lotus 23, winning the class. At the final round of the Guards Championship he is listed in the points table with 4 points, which is what you got for a win, which seems to mean that 8 Oct was his only success to date in this series. He doesn't seem to have raced at any meeting I went to in 1968, so I'm afraid this probably is of little help to you.

On 8 Oct 67 there was also a Motoring News round. The Lotus 23-type cars entered were
J Nicholson Mercury 1098 - non started
J Corfield Mercury 997
T Twaites Mercury 1098 - non started

Out of interest at Crystal Palace 3 Aug 68 the "Lotus 23 type" cars in the MN 1600cc race were
Bob Miller Lotus 23GT Ford 1600
John Nicholson Mercury Ford 1600
Martin Warren Lotus 23SP Ford 1149

RAP

#5 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 13:12

Jack Paterson was entered at Castle Combe on 20 May 1967 in an 1149cc Lotus 23B (red/gold) in the sports-racing car race.

Then on 4 October 1969 in a 1598cc Saturn GT (red/white) in the GT race.
&
on 9 May 1970 in a 1594cc Saturn GT-Lotus twin-cam; this in the SKF GT Championship race.
He also appears in a 1970 Motoring News GT championship points list (Saturn-Ford).

In 1969 his home town was listed as Seer Green, which is near Beaconsfield,

#6 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 16:13

Thank you both, RAP and Pete for your information on Jack Paterson. This is a large step ahead to at least know he did own and race a 23 and a Mercury. Also, Pete mentioned a Saturn Ford. In my history it says the car had a Saturn Aero body but Mike Gue remembered it as a Mercury. Do you have any more information on the Saturn? Thanks for your help.

Don Stark

#7 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 16:29

Also, RAP Thank you for your reference to serial number 23/s/106. Hopefully this is the only 23 that Jack owned and if it is, this might be the missing serial number.

Don Stark

#8 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:15

There were a lot of Lotus 23 conversions to GT at this time, of which the Mercury was the most common. Some of the others were purely one-off.

Jim Morley raced a Saturn GT Ford Twin cam at Brands 28 Sept 69 and again 26 oct, 9 nov.

However, interestingly 2 Aug 70 Jack Paterson ran a Saturn with a 2.0 Martin V8 engine, then 27 Sept Jim Morley raced a Saturn Martin V8. Given that the Martin V8 was a rare beast (I seem to recall we have had a thred on this) then I'd say its very like Paterson & Morley's car was the same one and maybe a unique one-off. It seems from what you were told that this may be the Lotus 23 and the recollection of "Mercury" is simply remembering all Lotus 23 convertions as "Mercury" ?
RAP

#9 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 16:00

RAP,

Thanks again for your information on the Saturn. I will have to look further into this.

Interestingly, I looked up the history of 23S106 in Graham Capel's book "The History of the Lotus 23" and it says that the car was sold to John Willment Racing and was actively raced by Paul Hawkins until mid 1965 when it was put up for sale. Then this serial number shows up as entered by Jack Paterson and eventually Jack enters a Saturn conversion of the 23 which corresponds to the information I have of the car that was purchased by Mike Gue. With the exception that he remembers it as a Mercury. And as you say, he may be just lumping the Mercury and Saturn together from his memory of 23 GT conversions.
Thank you again for your help. I am very excited about all this. If you have any information that might lead me to Mr. Paterson, or the Saturn conversion, please let me know. I will search for the tread on that motor to see what it says.

Don Stark

#10 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:08

I have been looking through the British International Race results and have come up with some interesting information. It seems that Jack Paterson was involved with another fellow named Jim Morley. They both were running Lola Mk1s in 1963 and then in 1966, they were running Lotus 23s. (possibly the same one as they were not at the same races together) Later in 1969, Jim Morley entered a Saturn GT in the Guards Trophy Race and then at the Daily Express race at Silverstone on April 25, 1970, Jim Morley is listed as the entrant for Jack Paterson as the driver of a Saturn Ford. They raced again at the Martini Trophy Silverstone on June, 6, 1970, again with Jim Morley as entrant and Jack Paterson as driver. Later at the RAC Brands Hatch race, Jim Morley was the entrant and driver of a Saturn - Martin. Does anyone know of Jim Morley and how I might get in touch with him?

Thanks, Don Stark

#11 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:49

It seems Jim Morley's most active period must have been 1966: In a small ad of early 1967 he claims "10 wins in 14 starts last season" (i.e. 1966).

At the time his 23 had been offered as having "latest chassis mods" ; spec sheet seemed to include F2 wheels, an 1100 cc Cosworth Mk. XI "yellow head" engine with Nimonic valves and a Hewland Mk. IV gearbox.

His address was at Chalfont St.Giles. Don, I sent you a PM on this.

#12 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 23:36

R.Atlos,

So you are saying that Jim Morley placed an ad for the sale of a Lotus 23 in early 1967 and claimed many wins for the car. If he did sell the car then it could not have been this car that was eventually turned into a Saturn GT. That would mean that it was Jack Paterson's car that was converted to a Saturn and that would be the history of my car. Adding Jim Morely and an additional Lotus 23 in here is making this very confusing but the information about Jim selling the car helps a lot. My records show that both Jim Morley and Jack Paterson had Lola Mk1s in 1964 but both had Lotus 23s in 1966 and Jack's car was 23S106.

Thanks again for your help on this matter.

You said you sent me a PM (I assume this means personal message) but I don't know how to retrieve the PM. Any hints on what to do?

Don Stark

#13 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:51

Originally posted by starkteam

You said you sent me a PM (I assume this means personal message) but I don't know how to retrieve the PM. Any hints on what to do?

Don Stark

Select 'Home' from the 'Forum Jump' menu on the bottom right of the page. Once you are on the forum home page, you'll see the Private Message options. Alternatively, you can select Forums from the tabs at the top of this page, and it will bring you to the same forum home page.

#14 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:38

Don
Just to be quite clear, Morley & Patterson did not share either a Lola Mk1 or a Lotus 23.

Patterson's Lola was BR-32 and Morley's BY-3. Both raced their 23s at Goodwood 30 May 66. Patterson was entered by Willment with colour in programme Red/white (The usual Team Willment colours). Morley's car is listed as blue.

RAP

#15 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 16:54

RAP,

Thanks again for your input. I think I was aware that Jim and Jack had separate Lola Mk1s as they both entered a race in 1964 at Brands Hatch with their cars. However, I had no information that they also entered 23s in the same race so your information is helpfull. I do have information that they worked together on the Saturn car (a GT version of the Lotus 23) as they entered two races in 1970 with the car with Jack Paterson as driver and Jim Morley as entrant. Also, the next to last race I have shows Jim Morley as driver and entrant of a Saturn Martin at the RAC at Brands Hatch and the last race shows Jack Paterson as both driver and entrant of the same car at an Intersirie Race at Thruxton. I assume that the Saturn was a conversion of Jack Paterson's car as Jim Morley was advertising his for sale in early 1967.

What I find very interesting is your comment that Jack Paterson was entered by Willment racing at a race at Goodwood. This means that John Willment and Jack Paterson worked together and Jack could have purchased the Willment car. Although, I understood that Willment had the car up for sale in mid 1965. Maybe Willment was the entrant but at this time Jack Paterson actually owned the car.

Also, is the book "A record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" by Barker the same as "Motor Racing at Goodwood, an Illustrated History" by Barker? I assume that they are different books as I just purchased the second one and can find no reference to Jack Paterson

Thanks again.

Don Stark

#16 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 19:52

Rap,

I answered my own question. "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" is available at Motor Chaters for 200 Pounds Sterling. If you have this book would it be possible to scan the page with the information on Jack Paterson and send it to me by e-mail? I would really appreciate that.

Don Stark

#17 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 16:09

Don
I'm concerned about copyright if I photocopy the book, however I can copy the programme if you send me a PM with an email address.
RAP

#18 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:01

RAP,

Does that wonderful book you have also tell you what the serial number of Jim Morley's Lotus 23 is? That is another candidate for conversion to the Saturn. His car was offered for sale in March 1966 and then again as late as March '67. The Ex Willment/Paterson Lightweight 23 (23S106) is offered for sale without engine in March of 1968 by Motor Racing Enterprises Ltd. I would think that one of these two 23s didn't sell or was sold to Jack Paterson and was made into a Saturn. But it could have been a completely different car. I need to make this connection of a 23 serial number with the Saturn! I keep coming up with possibilities but nothing for sure.

Another idea is that the 23S106 is listed in "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" connected to Jack Paterson but what if he didn't own it but just drove it for Willment, And then when it came up for sale in 1968, he finally did purchase it so that he and Morley could drive it in the GT class. It was offered at a pretty cheap price of 625 pounds. What do you think?

Thanks for all your help.

Don Stark

#19 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:45

Robert Barker's book has no chassis number for Morley's car. By 1968 sport-racing was pretty much dead in th UK so a Lotus 23 would be worth little, which is why many were converted in to "GT" cars, taking advantage of the lax rules for GTs.

RAP

Advertisement

#20 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 23:20

All,

I guess I should update this thread. My first post was generally correct with the following updates: The car purchased by Mike Gue was not a Mercury as I thought but a Saturn GT conversion of a Lotus 23 frame. The Saturn was not a coupe like the Mercury but an open topped spider. The car was raced successfully (claimed 11 wins) by Jack Paterson and Jim Morley in 1970. The car was run at first with a Ford engine and later with a Martin V8. It was purchased from Jack Paterson in 1978 not '67 or '68. I have confirmed with Mike Gue that the car he purchased was a Saturn aero (wedge) body that was made of aluminum alloy and that the car he purchased had a FT200 gearbox. This matches the description of the Saturn GT that was for sale by Jack Paterson in an Autosport ad in 1971.

At this point, I am pretty positive that the Saturn GT raced by Morley and Paterson is the one purchased by Gue and that eventually became my Lotus 23. What I don't know for sure is what 23 chassis was used in the construction of the Saturn. Both Morley and Paterson drove 23s in the 1966 timeframe but Morley put his up for sale in 1967. The Ex Willment/Paterson 23 (23S106) was for sale less engine in 1968. I assume this car was used for the conversion buy can't be positive.

I need to contact, Jim Morley, Jack Paterson, or anyone who was part of the Saturn GT or Martin engine design/construction that might shed light on this question.

Thanks again to all those who have gotten me this far. Anyone else who might know something about the above please contact me.

Don Stark

#21 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 13:51

You would not believe what I just found on my hard disc by accident - sorted under "oddities", not under "Lotus":

Posted Image
Source: Autosport 07/Nov/1974

Fits perfectly with Don's description. As things go, the seller did not have any luck with this advert. By 24/April/1975 he sounded already quite desperate: "... first reasonable offer accepted" was his last line ...

#22 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 18:23

According to my Crystal Palace programme 'Motoring News' GT Race 2/8/69 Jack Patterson's new mount was a Challenge GT Ford. A squiggle beside his name by me seems to indicate he was a non starter but I'm not sure.

In an A/sports mag I recently read, Peter Long drove a Mercury GT- I'll have to delve again to find the mag in question.

#23 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 20:07

Originally posted by richie
According to my Crystal Palace programme 'Motoring News' GT Race 2/8/69 Jack Patterson's new mount was a Challenge GT Ford. A squiggle beside his name by me seems to indicate he was a non starter but I'm not sure.

He was 6th on grid and finished 13th having pitted.
"A Record of Motor Racing at CRystal Palace"
RAP

#24 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 15:46

Lutz,

You've come up with a jewel here. For sure, this is my car as purchased by Mike Gue back in 1976. And, it has a picture of the car! This is all wonderful proof that my car did exist back in the day and that the dates the car was available are correct. It just adds more credibility to my history. Thanks for all the good work.

Also, your information on Willment running a car for Jack Paterson seems to indicate that Jack did not own the car at this time so it puts a cloud over if 23S106 was used as a basis for the Saturn. Or, could it be possible that Willment entered a car owned by their driver? Did this sort of thing happen back then? It would still be nice to find someone who was familiar with the Saturn to find out what they know. I wonder if anyone from Willment is still around to ask questions about 23S106?

Also, this news from Richie and RAP about Paterson entering a Challenge GT in 1969, brings up the question of whether the Challenge GT was a different car than the Saturn or an early name they used and is the same car they called the Saturn in 1970 and later. It does seem that Mr. Paterson was very busy racing cars during this period.

Don Stark

#25 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 16:14

Jack Paterson entered an updated F100 Royale RP4 in the first S2000 season here in 1977. Not sure how often he turned up though, he always seemed to non-start at MP anyway.

#26 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 19:33

Dan,

Where is here exactly? You say Jack Paterson was running in S2000. That sounds like an SCCA class that I am familiar with. Was this not in England where he had been racing?

Don Stark

#27 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:56

Dan,

Where is here exactly? You say Jack Paterson was running in S2000. That sounds like an SCCA class that I am familiar with. Was this not in England where he had been racing?

Don Stark

Yes Don, the first season of British Sports 2000, 1977.

#28 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 17:52

Guys,

I have some good news. I have contacted Mr. Jim Morley in England and he has given me a lot of new information.

First, Jack Paterson had purchased the car as a GT conversion by the time Jim came along in Late '68 or early '69. It was a roller at the time. Jim said that Jack was running the car with someone else as the owner and they parted ways and I guess Jack bought the car. Jim & Jack had known each other since the were both running Lola Mk1s in about 1964. I have a picture of the car with a closed top GT body and would love to show it to you on this site if I could figure out how. Jim said that they had a new spider body made by a company called William & Ppritchard in the south of England which Jim installed on the chassis they had. Jim also modified the frame to take the FT200 gearbox and installed a 1600 Lotus twin cam motor. Later he installed the Martin V8. He said they were quite successful with the Martin V8 as it gave 200 hp as opposed to the twincams 150 hp.

It would be nice to know if there were any racing starts for Jack Paterson in a GT in the '67-'68 time period. Someone mentioned a Challenger that was entered for him around this time and could be the same car. It would be interesting to know who the entrant was for these races. Jim said that Jack sold his 23 before buying the car that became the Saturn so we are seemingly farther away from a serial number unless we can find out who made the Challenger or whatever it was called and what 23 chassis they used to do this.

Don Stark

#29 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:43

Crystal Palace programme 2/8/69: Entrant and driver Jack Paterson - Challenge GT Ford - Red/White

#30 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 23:02

Ritchie & RAP,

Did you guys see an entrant for the Challenge GT that was entered for Jack Paterson? I'd sure like to know who owned this car as it might have been the one that was converted into the Saturn.

Don Stark

#31 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:56

Ritchie & RAP,

Did you guys see an entrant for the Challenge GT that was entered for Jack Paterson? I'd sure like to know who owned this car as it might have been the one that was converted into the Saturn.

Don Stark

Jim Morley was already appearing in the Saturn GT. Autosport 1 Aug 69 reports Morley as spinning at Snetterton at the previous Sunday's meeting . At Thruxton 20th Sept Patterson is mentioned in the Saturn GT t/c. I wonder if the Chanenge and Saturn are the same car ??

RAP

#32 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 20:28

Hello All,

Time for an update on the latest with Jack, Jim and the Saturn. From what Richie says, Paterson was racing a Challenge GT in early '69. RAP reports later in the year, (Aug. & Sept.) the guys were racing a Saturn. Most probably they were the same car. Jim didn't mention another car that they were involved with during this time period. Also, he said he renamed the car Saturn during this period.

Also, Jim said that the alloy body was by William & Pritchard and I have made contact with Tim Saunders at the William & Pritchard Sebring GT Registry who thinks he will be able to look at the production records of W & P to possibly find out who was involved with this project. I think I was wrong when I reported that Jim Morley installed the body on the 23 frame. Jim says that Jack Paterson bought the car with body as a roller. If I can find out who was involved, maybe I can trace the original frame back to the factory. I can't wait to get that information. Also, Tim was going to put pictures of the car supplied by Jim Morley on his website with a blurb asking for information. Hopefully something good will come of this. If you have time check it out.

I have found that 23S106, the old Ex, Willment/Paterson car seems to be here in California and had been to some races that I have attended. I actually have a picture of it racing with me! It is now owned by Peter Stoneberg from northern California and he got it from an Eduardo Baptista who lived in Mexico City. It would be interesting to see if they have Jack Paterson in their history??

Don Stark

#33 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 23:56

Guys,

I just got some information from Tim at W & P Sebring GT Registry. He says the phone number in the 1974 ad shown on this thread for the Atlas with BDA 1300 is in the north of England. Jack Paterson lived in the South of England. Jim Morley says that Jack sold the Saturn in 1971 as a roller. Jim remembers that Jack sold it someone on the continent which may or may not be accurate. Yet, the car shows up for sale some 3 years later in the north of England. Also, the picture of the car in the ad shows a different nose on the car and Jim says he remembers that the folks that Jack sold the car to were responsible for this new nose. Is it possible that the new nose was also a product of W & P? The other question is who are these people? Mike Gue is sure he bought the car from Jack Paterson in about 1976, but maybe he remembers it as the Paterson car but he actually purchased it from someone else. Also Tim suggested that if the car was in the north, it might have raced at Croft. If anyone has any information about entries in GT races at Croft in the '73,'74, '75 timeframe or anywhere else, I would like to hear from them. It seems there is someone in the story that we don't know about.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Don Stark

#34 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:13

Guys,

I just got some information from Tim at W & P Sebring GT Registry. He says the phone number in the 1974 ad shown on this thread for the Atlas with BDA 1300 is in the north of England. Jack Paterson lived in the South of England. Jim Morley says that Jack sold the Saturn in 1971 as a roller. Jim remembers that Jack sold it someone on the continent which may or may not be accurate. Yet, the car shows up for sale some 3 years later in the north of England. Also, the picture of the car in the ad shows a different nose on the car and Jim says he remembers that the folks that Jack sold the car to were responsible for this new nose. Is it possible that the new nose was also a product of W & P? The other question is who are these people? Mike Gue is sure he bought the car from Jack Paterson in about 1976, but maybe he remembers it as the Paterson car but he actually purchased it from someone else. Also Tim suggested that if the car was in the north, it might have raced at Croft. If anyone has any information about entries in GT races at Croft in the '73,'74, '75 timeframe or anywhere else, I would like to hear from them. It seems there is someone in the story that we don't know about.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Don Stark

Don, is it possible to post an enhanced version of the ad photo?

Steve

#35 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 15:13

Steve,

Tim Saunders will post pictures of the car on his W&P Register website this week. The link to his website is:

http://www.williamsa...register.co.uk/

It should be under "Latest News".

Don Stark

#36 W&P Register

W&P Register

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 22:08

Here is the webpage on the Saturn GT with the pictures from Don / Jim Morley. The Pritchard family have an archive that may help with the mystery but due to Len Pritchard's current poor health it isn't accessible at present, so we'll have to be patient on that front for now:

http://www.williamsa...uk/saturngt.htm

#37 Kale

Kale

• 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 21:52

Any Pics from Mercury GT´s in Spyder or Coupe trim ?
How much are build and who are the cars today ?
Any Mercury who race in historic motorsport ?

#38 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:06

Kale,

There are pictures of the Mercury GT on other threads of this sight. In fact, if you look at the first couple of replys I think you will find these threads. As it turns out, my car was a GT conversion of the Lotus 23 chassis but was a one off called the Saturn GT. You can see pictures of that conversion on the Williams & Pritchard site called out above. My body was of aluminum. The Mercury was a fiberglass body that was used on a number of 23 chassis. I don't know the exact number.

Don Stark

#39 starkteam

starkteam

• 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 17:27

I got a nice e-mail today from my friend and fellow Lotus 23 owner Olle in Sweden with the following link for the Saturn:

http://www.racingspo...ake/Saturn.html

This shows some of the races run by the Saturn and the drivers Jack Paterson and James Morley that we already know about. The interesting thing is that it also shows the car being entered in races in Holland and being driven by a Ray Hutchinson. This confirms James Morley's statement that Jack Paterson sold the car to someone on the continent and not directly to Mike Gue in the USA. It also accounts for the fact that Jack, according to James, sold the car in 1971 and Mike Gue bought the car in 1976.

If anyone knows anything about Ray Hutchinson I would like to make contact with him. He is from Holland according to the above website. Any information would be appreciated.

Don Stark

Advertisement

#40 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:49

Hi Don

I'm keen to speak to Jim Morley or Jack Patterson as I believe one of them sold a Cooper T86B/C to Peter Hawtin in 1969, who's the subject of a in depth research project, can you help|? 

#41 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 22:23

Richie,

I interviewed Jim Morley a few yeara ago in his home. Send me a pm and I can help you get in touch. Jack Paterson is no longer with us.

Michael

#42 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 20:39

Richie,

I interviewed Jim Morley a few yeara ago in his home. Send me a pm and I can help you get in touch. Jack Paterson is no longer with us.

Michael

Your mailbox, is full, you cant receive any messages.

#43 Markyb1964

Markyb1964

• 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:57

Hi Michael,

Jim unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. My dad built Jim's cars they were best mates and I spent all my childhood messing around with the cars.

Unfortunately my dad also passed just over 3 years ago.

I am still in touch with Jim's daughters.

His white racing helmet was on top of the coffin at this funeral.

For some reason it is saying that my mailbox is full, will go and investigate.

Mark

#44 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 20:37

Hi Michael,

Jim unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. My dad built Jim's cars they were best mates and I spent all my childhood messing around with the cars.

Mark

Mark can you put me in touch with Jim's daughters or ask them to PM me re selling a Cooper T86 to Peter Hawtin, that's if he kept written records going back to 60's.?  A tall order I know but you dont know unless you ask.

Hi Michael,

Mark

#45 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:50

I'm sure you are aware of this information.

http://www.race-cars...518143435ss.htm

#46 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:38

Mark can you put me in touch with Jim's daughters or ask them to PM me re selling a Cooper T86 to Peter Hawtin, that's if he kept written records going back to 60's.?  A tall order I know but you dont know unless you ask.

#47 Markyb1964

Markyb1964

• 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:16

Richie,

Perhaps if you had started your request with sorry for your loss and sorry to hear that Jim has also passed.........then I would of been more responsive. Obviously old cars mean more to you than old people!!!!

#48 GTMRacer

GTMRacer

• 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:05

Any Pics from Mercury GT´s in Spyder or Coupe trim ?
How much are build and who are the cars today ?
Any Mercury who race in historic motorsport ?

Have you seen this site?

http://clourie.co.uk

I noted a shot featuring a car I was interested in seeing more of (Howard Heerey's racing Cox GTM) so I emailed him and he very kindly sent me the other images he had.

I found this one in 1967...

http://clourie.co.uk...-1018-full.html

Hope it helps

#49 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:40

See also from 1968, UWT 2F:

http://clourie.co.uk...-1015-full.html

Also:

http://clourie.co.uk...-1011-full.html

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 26 July 2019 - 11:43.

#50 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 21:49

Richie,

Perhaps if you had started your request with sorry for your loss and sorry to hear that Jim has also passed.........then I would of been more responsive. Obviously old cars mean more to you than old people!!!!

Apologies Mark, sorry to hear about your loss hearing that Jim has passed. I should have been more respectful.