Photo

OT: Imbeciles

• Please log in to reply
524 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:33

A colleague of mine is in talks to become a FEM engineer in a quite large company.

He is now performing his "interview".

Did they check if he was any good as a FEM operator?

No.

Any good as an engineer?

No.

So what are they checking?

His calligraphy.

They asked him for an handwritten letter to have it examined by a graphologist.

And by a sorcerer too, I guess.

I've been through a number of interviews and NOBODY ever made me a technical question of sorts.
I used to bring around a laptop with software I had written and no "scrutineer" was ever interested even in looking at what it was.

I was, and still am, convinced that they decide if hire or not people based on

A) age
B) requested salary
3) huge amounts of peyote and tea leaves reading

All things that do not require the physical presence of the candidate, and that could be performed by any half trained monkey

Probably the interview is just to make sure the perspective employee has a pulse.

There is a Jeans Company that has officially stated they scrutineer personnel through their Zodiac sign.
I admire them, honest. They have at least made of this farce the farce that it is.

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:43

The interview process is amazing.

I got my first job because my dad had bought the same lathe as my interviewer was thinking about buying.

Reputedly I got my job at Lotus because my expenses were so much bigger than they were expecting (return rail fare plus one night in a hotel).

Ford Oz recruited me the first time because I had a pulse.

They recruited me the second time despite the absolute opposition of the chief engineer.

I did, once, get a job on some sort of technical merit. They needed someone to design hydrophone systems, and I demonstrated my interest in, um, solar cars.

#3 Bill Sherwood

Bill Sherwood

• 444 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:00

Originally posted by Greg Locock
... I demonstrated my interest in, um, solar cars.

So that was your day job eh?
:)

#4 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,973 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:01

I was hired as a trainee accountant on my brothers reference.

He had a job at a printing office. When he left he asked to get a written reference. Which he did. I got the job after him and when it was my turn to leave, I asked for a reference too. The Boss said he couldn't be arsed to think one up, so he just copy pasted my brothers and put my name in at the top.

I went to the interview with my company and brought my exam papers, the reference and a happy-go-lucky attitude. Miraculously I got the job and thought nothing of it. A year or so after this, I had lunch with some colleagues among whom was my group leader. I told them the story about the printing office boss and the reference. The group leader almost fell down her chair laughing. She told me that the überboss that had been in on the interview had overruled her when they employed me by insisting they take me on account of my glowing reference. The group leader had preferred someone else. She had the decency to tell me though that she hadn't regretted taking me on though. And I am still with the same company 23 years later.

#5 scooperman

scooperman

• 84 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 13:01

I worked for Huge Aerospace companies from 78 to 92. Crazy hiring practices.
They would bid to get a government-funded contract, and part of the bidding required that the company named the key people who would staff the contract work. Then when they got the contract, none of those people worked on it, they went out and hired any warm body with a degree, just to staff the contract. Hurry up, get some people, get to work. The "Personnel" department would dump a pile of resumes on my desk and tell me these people were coming in tomorrow for job interviews and two of them would be in my department. I can remember after the interviews, I would meet with the members of my staff who interviewed them, we would compare our notes from the interviews and do our yay/nay voting, and send the paperwork back to personnel. Then a week later, somebody that we all agreed was useless (DO NOT hire this person!) comes walking into my office with a badge on. They hired him, and now he is my responsibility, I am supposed to train this lazy idiot and turn him into a hard working success story. This happened a bunch of times and us technical people couldn't figure out why on earth anybody would authorize the hiring of these dummies over our objections. Eventually we learned that the fat cats up on Oak Desk Row were getting referral bonuses for every warm body that got hired.

#6 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 16:07

I don't know if Dr Peter is alive and well, but his principal is and probably always will be.

#7 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 17:16

Originally posted by scooperman
I worked for Huge Aerospace companies from 78 to 92. Crazy hiring practices.
They would bid to get a government-funded contract, and part of the bidding required that the company named the key people who would staff the contract work. Then when they got the contract, none of those people worked on it, they went out and hired any warm body with a degree, just to staff the contract. Hurry up, get some people, get to work. The "Personnel" department would dump a pile of resumes on my desk and tell me these people were coming in tomorrow for job interviews and two of them would be in my department. I can remember after the interviews, I would meet with the members of my staff who interviewed them, we would compare our notes from the interviews and do our yay/nay voting, and send the paperwork back to personnel. Then a week later, somebody that we all agreed was useless (DO NOT hire this person!) comes walking into my office with a badge on. They hired him, and now he is my responsibility, I am supposed to train this lazy idiot and turn him into a hard working success story. This happened a bunch of times and us technical people couldn't figure out why on earth anybody would authorize the hiring of these dummies over our objections. Eventually we learned that the fat cats up on Oak Desk Row were getting referral bonuses for every warm body that got hired.

Do you work in the military industry? Because that's how the US has been sustaining employment and production for decades.

Great article on the subject;
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174884

#8 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 18:20

My advice is to learn calligraphy. You have identified a possible hiring trend and now you have a competitive advantage on the rest of the field.

The truth is that from the company's POV, there are no HR methods for hiring that are especially effective. As we all know, resumes are complete and utter bullshit. Read 50 resumes and one would think we have 50 Nobel Prize winners. What are the odds of that. (Next time you write a resume, put yourself in the shoes of the resume reader and give him or her a break.) At the end of the day hiring people is a crap shoot. Qualifications are just that, qualifications. They are not actual attributes.

Zora Arkus-Duntov was a poor engineer and not really a stellar human being either. But he was in the right place in the right time, he had a superb line of bullshit and he had some good ideas (stolen from the best). He became one of GM's most powerful product executives and the Corvette would never have survived without him. No resume could have ever identified him.

#9 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:27

Originally posted by Paolo

There is a Jeans Company that has officially stated they scrutineer personnel through their Zodiac sign.
I admire them, honest. They have at least made of this farce the farce that it is.

I may very well have worked for an heir to that company in racing. If so, they were completely serious. While she didn't hire me, I was OK'd because I had a nice aura. Not my attitude or personal presentation, mind you. The metaphysical light that surrounds me at all times was pleasing. Yup, I can't make this up. Please pass the bong.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

#10 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:30

Originally posted by Fat Boy

Not my attitude or personal presentation, mind you. .

Yes, we know ;)

I get jobs easy because I have snakes, serious. As McGuire says, all resumes are bullshit and the HR go through them all and see what stands out - owning snakes stands out and taking the snakes to the yearly company Xmas party and letting the bosses kids hold them guarantee's employment for another year because the bosses remember you "the Guy with the snakes" ;)

#11 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:32

Originally posted by cheapracer

Yes, we know ;)

Wow, that hurts. Now I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.

#12 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:37

Says it all.

Originally posted by imaginesix
Believe in yourselves; vote Obama.

#13 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:04

Can’t imagine myself ever asking someone for a job or handing them a resume’. Never have, never will. How undignified.
If anybody asks me for a job, I’ll have immediate disdain for the individual and will give them a swift boot up the ass as they exit. You had better know everything about my company, it's competitors, what it does, it's market, what its growth potential is. You had better have a plan to help me achieve it even if the proposal takes it in a different direction to what I envisaged.. In other words, you must offer your services to me on your own terms and negotiate your fee as would any man who knows his worth. This is for people who are fresh out of school also. If they have used the information they have obtained from their respective learning institution in such a manor as to separate themselves from the others , I would be interested in talking to them. They must bring something to the table, even if they botch the presentation. I’ll exploit you if you beg.

#14 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:19

Timely topic. I've been interviewing machinists for the past few weeks (says a lot right there) and I am amazed at the **** that comes out of some people. I'm not talking self-promotion kinda statements either. I had one candidate tell me "if I'm unhappy, I don't waste time, I vote with my feet", and my favourite, "if I feel I'm underpaid, I under-perform" :clap:. Needless to say he didn't make the 2nd call list.

#15 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:00

Originally posted by phantom II
Says it all.

And you'd vote for a pensioner in ailing health with a demonstrable corrupt VP candidate with no experience? Says it all really... :rolleyes:

Ben

#16 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:22

Does your boss know that you are a 'Usefull Idiot'?

Posted Image

Originally posted by Ben

And you'd vote for a pensioner in ailing health with a demonstrable corrupt VP candidate with no experience? Says it all really... :rolleyes:

Ben

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:26

He gunna steal your babies too. For sure.

#18 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by Ben

Ben

This PII quote may or may not have been pointed at me. I don't know, because I've had him on 'ignore' for a couple months now. I highly recommend it. It makes the board an order of magnitude nicer to read.

It is funny every once in a while to read the incredulous responses without being able to see the post that spawned it. I'm sure I've missed some doozies, but I'm fine with that.

#19 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 18:47

If anybody asks me for a job, I’ll have immediate disdain for the individual and will give them a swift boot up the ass as they exit. You had better know everything about my company, it's competitors, what it does, it's market, what its growth potential is. You had better have a plan to help me achieve it even if the proposal takes it in a different direction to what I envisaged.. In other words, you must offer your services to me on your own terms and negotiate your fee as would any man who knows his worth. This is for people who are fresh out of school also. If they have used the information they have obtained from their respective learning institution in such a manor as to separate themselves from the others , I would be interested in talking to them. They must bring something to the table, even if they botch the presentation. I’ll exploit you if you beg.

Ok FB, I know he's on your ignore list and maybe others but I think for this thread this is a reasonable and literate post.

No need to thank me.

Advertisement

#20 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 21:13

Can’t imagine myself ever asking someone for a job or handing them a resume’. Never have, never will. How undignified.

So how many employees do you have?

#21 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 22:48

If you believe FB has me on his **** list, I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arkansas. If you read a book called, ‘Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun’, you will recognize the likes of FB. They must be purged from your company in short order. They seek the sympathies of like minded disgruntled employees and cause immense destruction of morale. He is really a tragic figure who’s dubious race car credentials should be overlooked in view of his obvious physiological shortcomings.

Originally posted by cheapracer

Ok FB, I know he's on your ignore list and maybe others but I think for this thread this is a reasonable and literate post.

No need to thank me.

#22 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 23:04

I’m unemployed since 03. Thought I’d ask Cheapracer for a job in his rice patty if Comrade Obama is elected. I’ve never written a resume’ before. Lets see….Date of Birth….High school....

Originally posted by DOHC

#23 NRoshier

NRoshier

• 506 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 23:59

If you believe FB has me on his **** list, I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arkansas. If you read a book called, ‘Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun’, you will recognize the likes of FB. They must be purged from your company in short order. They seek the sympathies of like minded disgruntled employees and cause immense destruction of morale. He is really a tragic figure who’s dubious race car credentials should be overlooked in view of his obvious physiological shortcomings.

Hmmm... is this really necessary?

#24 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 00:42

Originally posted by Canuck
"if I feel I'm underpaid, I under-perform"

:rotfl: Such honesty!

#25 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:07

Originally posted by NRoshier

No but it gives this place some character that I need some days. Maybe you don't need it but I have a twisted sense of humour and find myself out of breathe laughing with some of the responses around here :p

#26 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:32

NRoshier

quote:Originally posted by phantom II

phantom II This person is on your Ignore List.
phantom II This person is on your Ignore List.
DOHC

quote:Originally posted by phantom II

#27 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:33

He wants me to fight. The humorous part is that I've already won.

#28 PirateTaco

PirateTaco

• 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:47

If anybody asks me for a job, I’ll have immediate disdain for the individual and will give them a swift boot up the ass as they exit.

So how have you ever been hired by anyone?
I doubt the USAF would come knocking on your door when you left high school asking for the legendary phantom pilot that you are.

#29 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:24

I worked for a global strategy firm, who recruited me at a very high level on account of the fact that I showed up in my own car for the interview. Then I got my current job coz the best performer in the company had failed the interview at the strategy firm I was working- so they figured I'd be hot stuff

#30 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:47

Does your boss know that you are a 'Usefull Idiot'?

Posted Image

You actually believe he's a commie? You're madder than you often sound.

FB - I put him on my ignore list as well, but the tantalising glimpses I got from quotes just made me have to take him of again - too much entertainment.

Ben

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:13

I haven't been back to America since July 2004 and when I see things like that I scratch my head and wonder if it can possibly be serious. But then I close my eyes and remember, yes it really is that mental and most of the time too.

#32 NRoshier

NRoshier

• 506 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:40

I took a 30% cut in pay to get my current job...yes I did want to. Previously I had short term contracts and a perm full time job when I had a pregnant wife and new mortgage seemed like a good idea.
Ross I think every country has its loony fringe...some parts of the US seem to have a thinker fringe than the rest of the world though. I have to say that I found Oregon and Washington really nice, whereas the quote I remember was 'if you turn America on it's side and shake it a bit every thing with loose screws will fall to california'.

#33 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:02

Originally posted by NRoshier
I took a 30% cut in pay to get my current job...yes I did want to. Previously I had short term contracts and a perm full time job when I had a pregnant wife and new mortgage seemed like a good idea.
Ross I think every country has its loony fringe...some parts of the US seem to have a thinker fringe than the rest of the world though. I have to say that I found Oregon and Washington really nice, whereas the quote I remember was 'if you turn America on it's side and shake it a bit every thing with loose screws will fall to california'.

#34 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:16

Facetiousness is hidden hostility, usually caused by envy. Anyway, I will consider it a call for help and therefore, I will oblige. The USAF certainly did come knocking on my door requesting my service. You employed the correct terminology with the use the word 'hired'. Even if you are on the parole of any company, your mind set should be that of someone who has hired your services to the said company on agreed terms. This is a very necessary attitude if you wish to be financially independent. My 3 kids have never depended on anyone for their income as did my father's kids. Their allowance had to be paid back with interest.
The attitudes of some of the members on this board is foreign to me. Paola's observations starting this thread opens the door to a broader discussion. There are those on this BB who benefit from the information in my posts. It is my way of being grateful for the generosity of the members.
After I left the service, which in itself can be a rewarding experience, an ex Army Air force and a Battle of Britain pilot convinced me to sell life insurance as an agent in his thriving company. . Repeat: You can't be an entrepreneur if you can't sell.
The skills I learned selling intangible financial products precluded me from ever seeking employment to this day. I attended many 'Motivational' seminars and have read many motivational books and have met the most highly motivated people with whom I perpetually surround myself. I became interested in money and business and became a stock broker. l have always been self employed since. I have employed thousands of people in many different enterprises. The business aspect is always the same.
I watched my dear friend, Ben, spending months and months looking for a job after graduation. Unwittingly, he works against the people who have hired him by voting for people who make it extremely difficult for them to function. There is hope for him yet. He has become a NASCAR fan and it won’t be long before his logical brain will conclude that socialism is foreign to prosperity and the general well being of his fellow men.
Ben will always be dependent if he continues his present course. He won’t be able to create his own products in his own business because of the laws that he has helped foster. He won’t know the joys of creating wealth and providing employment. The people that regulate are the people who can’t create.

Originally posted by PirateTaco

So how have you ever been hired by anyone?
I doubt the USAF would come knocking on your door when you left high school asking for the legendary phantom pilot that you are.

#35 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:47

I know it, Ben. Since Roosevelt, little by little, socialism has eroded our nation as it spreads like cancer. Since you are a socialist and will never know the joys of self employment, it will be hard for you to grasp the basic tenants of our founders.
Conservative economic policies are founded on the ideals of liberty and freedom advocated in the historic writings of Adam Smith, Jean-Baptiste Say and John Stuart Mill, and further refined by such economists as Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich Hayek, and most recently, the late Milton Friedman. Economic liberty is embodied in the practice of free-enterprise capitalism, which functions best if largely unconstrained by government taxation and regulation.
These are the economic principles advocated by our founders:

As James Madison described it in his era: “If industry and labor are left to take their own course, they will generally be directed to those objects which are the most productive, and this in a more certain and direct manner than the wisdom of the most enlightened legislature could point out.”
Soviet dictator Nikita Khrushchev said of Roosevelt’s “New Deal” paradigm shift, “We can’t expect the American people to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism.”
Perennial Socialist Party presidential candidate Norman Thomas (the grandfather, incidentally, of Newsweek Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas), echoed that sentiment: “The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’ they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.”
Obamanomics is nothing more than a Marxist echo, and Obama himself a “useful idiot,” a Western apologist for socialist political and economic agendas advocating Marxist-Leninist-Maoist collectivism.
Liberals, as the root word implies, aspire to liberate the nation from its founding tenets by promoting a living constitution, bilingualism, multi-culturalism as a primary tools for constricting individual liberty, expanding the power of government, regulating all manner of enterprise, gutting national defense and advocating relativism.

“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents...” —James Madison

Obama’s economic plan is nothing more than a remake of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s class-warfare proclamation: “Here is my principle: Taxes shall be levied according to ability to pay. That is the only American principle.”

Obama insists we have “an economy that is out of balance, tax policies have been badly skewed, and wages and incomes have flatlined.” To resolve this he says we need a “tax policy making sure that everybody benefits, fair distribution, a restoration of balance in our tax code, money allocated fairly—we’re going to capture some of the nation’s economic growth... and reinvest it.”
Obama says that free enterprise is nothing more than “Social Darwinism, every man or woman for him or herself... tempting idea, because it doesn’t require much thought or ingenuity.”

“Obama is being hailed as the newest and freshest face on the American political scene. But he is advocating some of the oldest fallacies, just as if it was the 1960s again, or as if he has learned nothing and forgotten nothing since then... But politics is not about facts. It is about what politicians can get people to believe.” —Thomas Sowell

Originally posted by Ben

You actually believe he's a commie? You're madder than you often sound.

FB - I put him on my ignore list as well, but the tantalising glimpses I got from quotes just made me have to take him of again - too much entertainment.

Ben

#36 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:41

This thread is so full of hot air, I think it's warmer than the CoT cockpit!

#37 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:02

I know it, Ben. Since Roosevelt, little by little, socialism has eroded our nation as it spreads like cancer. Since you are a socialist and will never know the joys of self employment, it will be hard for you to grasp the basic tenants of our founders.
Conservative economic policies are founded on the ideals of liberty and freedom advocated in the historic writings of Adam Smith, Jean-Baptiste Say and John Stuart Mill, and further refined by such economists as Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich Hayek, and most recently, the late Milton Friedman. Economic liberty is embodied in the practice of free-enterprise capitalism, which functions best if largely unconstrained by government taxation and regulation.
These are the economic principles advocated by our founders:

As James Madison described it in his era: “If industry and labor are left to take their own course, they will generally be directed to those objects which are the most productive, and this in a more certain and direct manner than the wisdom of the most enlightened legislature could point out.”
Soviet dictator Nikita Khrushchev said of Roosevelt’s “New Deal” paradigm shift, “We can’t expect the American people to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism.”
Perennial Socialist Party presidential candidate Norman Thomas (the grandfather, incidentally, of Newsweek Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas), echoed that sentiment: “The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’ they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.”
Obamanomics is nothing more than a Marxist echo, and Obama himself a “useful idiot,” a Western apologist for socialist political and economic agendas advocating Marxist-Leninist-Maoist collectivism.
Liberals, as the root word implies, aspire to liberate the nation from its founding tenets by promoting a living constitution, bilingualism, multi-culturalism as a primary tools for constricting individual liberty, expanding the power of government, regulating all manner of enterprise, gutting national defense and advocating relativism.

“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents...” —James Madison

Obama’s economic plan is nothing more than a remake of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s class-warfare proclamation: “Here is my principle: Taxes shall be levied according to ability to pay. That is the only American principle.”

Obama insists we have “an economy that is out of balance, tax policies have been badly skewed, and wages and incomes have flatlined.” To resolve this he says we need a “tax policy making sure that everybody benefits, fair distribution, a restoration of balance in our tax code, money allocated fairly—we’re going to capture some of the nation’s economic growth... and reinvest it.”
Obama says that free enterprise is nothing more than “Social Darwinism, every man or woman for him or herself... tempting idea, because it doesn’t require much thought or ingenuity.”

“Obama is being hailed as the newest and freshest face on the American political scene. But he is advocating some of the oldest fallacies, just as if it was the 1960s again, or as if he has learned nothing and forgotten nothing since then... But politics is not about facts. It is about what politicians can get people to believe.” —Thomas Sowell

Two points:

1 - I had a job pre-graduation and moved to a better (from my perspective) job in the motorsport industry within 6 months.
2 - I work for a private multi-national company
3 - You were a USAF pilot, surely that made you a government employee flying a government funded aircraft.

Who's the liberal (whatever that means) and who's relying on state funding for his lot in life... discuss.

As Galbraith pointed out there is really no such thing as public and private it all comes out of the same pot. I firmly believe in and accept a mixed capitalist economy as the only real solution,.

Ben

#38 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:02

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker
This thread is so full of hot air, I think it's warmer than the CoT cockpit!

This is light relief from the real world... :lol:

Ben

#39 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,537 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 18:22

Soldiers and military contractors are just socialist parasites suckling off the hard earned wealth of the private sector. Say no to socialism, say no to the gigantic commie welfare project known as the military.

;)

Advertisement

#40 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,752 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 19:22

My interview went along the lines of a simple telephone interview, then a face to face interview where we bullshitted about hockey and other inconsequential subjects for a few hours. If I were to hazard a guess the in person interview was just a freak check.

No real careful examination of my education, experience, or abilities. I guess they were trying to figure out how I would fit in a close-knit design group and whether I was easy to get along with. I was honest about what I could and could not do and they were more impressed that I was aware of my limitations than anything else.

Looking back on subsequent people that have come and gone it wasn't so much their abilities/experience that made them succeed or fail, but their ability to integrate with the team. Some seemed quite capable but knew it and were difficult to get along with. They didn't last long...

As bizarre as it seems, I preferred this hiring method to the HR inspired nightmares that some companies employ.

#41 robroy

robroy

• 200 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 19:37

Amusing thread and timely for me.
I lost my job last week after 8 years service on dubious grounds. Knowing the owner of a rival company races a stock hatch car, I drove straight round in my kit car and asked for a job. On Friday we had a nice chat about track days, Fords and the Nurburgring and I was back in employment. Much easier than I thought it was going to be!

#42 robroy

robroy

• 200 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 19:52

Well your mortgage and banking system seems to have got itself into a bit of pickle on this ideology, hasn't it?
Conservative economic policies are founded on the ideals of privatising profits and nationalising debts.

#43 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 20:11

You seem to be familiar with the WWW. Google the debacle why don't you, starting with comrade Jimmy Carter’s community Investment act, you communist you..

Originally posted by robroy

Well your mortgage and banking system seems to have got itself into a bit of pickle on this ideology, hasn't it?
Conservative economic policies are founded on the ideals of privatising profits and nationalising debts.

#44 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 20:32

Two points? You have 3. I was drafted and was forced at gun point to fly those Grape Squeezers for 6 years.
I mention guys like Adam Smith, Jean-Baptiste Say, John Stuart Mill, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, and Milton Friedman and your response mentions Carl Marx, I mean, JK Galbraith. Say no more-Say no more.
You guys are smoking from the same pot. Nothing happens without someone creating wealth or filling the pot. People like me. History is determined by the people who create wealth and those who protect it. IE: Big business and big military. A lack of understanding of either or both results in the collapse of civilization. You want Nancy Pelosi to run GM and Hank Reed to run Exxon, don't you?
There is a big war looming because people like you ignore history. We are at war with Russia and China. If Obama is elected, Bush will attack Iran. If McCain is elected, he will attack Iran. Iran is Russia’s close ally which also would like to restore it's empire. The Chinese prepare for war and their missiles in Syria point towards us. Google Earth and point to where US troops and battle ships and bases are in those region and the world and do the same with Russia and China and their allies. You can't do it, can you? You and your ilk are making as defenseless and vulnerable.
We are in Iraq to protect oil supplies to you. Bagdad is smack in between Jerusalem and Tehran. In a 1000 mile radius of Bagdad, nearly all the worlds oil exists. Kapish?

Originally posted by Ben

Two points:

1 - I had a job pre-graduation and moved to a better (from my perspective) job in the motorsport industry within 6 months.
2 - I work for a private multi-national company
3 - You were a USAF pilot, surely that made you a government employee flying a government funded aircraft.

Who's the liberal (whatever that means) and who's relying on state funding for his lot in life... discuss.

As Galbraith pointed out there is really no such thing as public and private it all comes out of the same pot. I firmly believe in and accept a mixed capitalist economy as the only real solution,.

Ben

#45 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 20:44

It is immensely corrupt. 'Boyd', by Conram outlines the corrupt methods of arms procurement and the people in the military and government who wish to change it.
Illegal immigrants suck up more of the wealth than the military which is 6% of GDP. $3 trillion for the people that you so gladly allow to invade our land. Welfare takes up nearly 2/3rds of our GDP. Do you know what our GDP is? You communist, you.

Originally posted by desmo
Soldiers and military contractors are just socialist parasites suckling off the hard earned wealth of the private sector. Say no to socialism, say no to the gigantic commie welfare project known as the military.

;)

#46 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 21:15

We are in Iraq to protect oil supplies to you. Bagdad is smack in between Jerusalem and Tehran. In a 1000 mile radius of Bagdad, nearly all the worlds oil exists. Kapish?

You actually get a large amount of credit for this. If only your beloved President was as honest about the "war on terror"

Privatising profits and nationalising debt - Spot on... It ain't Jimmy Carter's fault it's greed pure and simple.

Ben

#47 robroy

robroy

• 200 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 21:39

. Do you know what our GDP is? You communist, you.

About 13 trillion dollars?

Do you know what your national debt is?

#48 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:35

Originally posted by robroy

About 13 trillion dollars?

Do you know what your national debt is?

I'd heard they need to add an extra digit to the national debt clock. If everyone called in the US debt it would collapse...

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers. -- Richard Feynman

Ben

#49 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:19

Posted Image

Your my hero. :wave:

#50 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:25

Originally posted by Ben

I'd heard they need to add an extra digit to the national debt clock. If everyone called in the US debt it would collapse...

Ben

Why do banks employ traders at city desks dealing in commodities and shares?

Because sheep can't type,