Photo

South Bay Speedway/Speedway 117, Otay Mesa (San Diego), CA

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 TheStranger

TheStranger

• 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:36

I was looking through the origins of sprint car racing thread and noticed that one of the earliest World of Outlaws venues was at Speedway 117 (so named for then-highway 117, now future Interstate 905) near the Mexican Border in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego.

The track was apparently built in the mid-70s, and closed some time in the mid-80s. Anyone have more info on it other than the rudimentary stuff that exists via Google? From Historicaerials.com, here's what the track looked like from above in 1981, at the intersection of Airway Road and Piper Ranch Road:
http://www.historica...s.com/?poi=2528
http://www.historica...e.aspx?poi=2528

By 1989, the track was closed, though an outline remained:
http://www.historica...s.com/?poi=2529
http://www.historica...e.aspx?poi=2529

Now, there's a warehouse on the site:
http://maps.google.c...013733&t=h&z=16

Advertisement

#2 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 17:52

Originally posted by TheStranger
I was looking through the origins of sprint car racing thread and noticed that one of the earliest World of Outlaws venues was at Speedway 117 (so named for then-highway 117, now future Interstate 905) near the Mexican Border in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego.

The track was apparently built in the mid-70s, and closed some time in the mid-80s. Anyone have more info on it other than the rudimentary stuff that exists via Google?

Growing up in San Diego, I'm pleased to see this thread...and, yes I have more info on it. What sort of info are you looking for?

I could write a good historical overview on the track.

Don Basile operated and promoted the track, which ran from 1971 through 1983 (it opened earlier as a motorcycle track). It was listed as a "1/2 mile", but was actually a 9/16 mile. In addition to the oval track racing, a lot of motocross, motorcycle racing and ATV racing there as well. A D-shaped 1/4 mile was added in '72 or '73. Name changed from South Bay Speedway to Speedway 117 in 1978.

Some interesting machinations in the how and wherefore of the track, not to mention the unique setting and location.

I attended 7 races there, though only one open wheel - a USAC Midget race. If I hadn't moved, there's a good possibility I would have been there weekly as a guy I knew from high school got a Super Stock and raced there the next season : So, I have a some memories from there as well.

Thanks for the aerial photos :up:

#3 TheStranger

TheStranger

• 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 17:56

Track history, how many USAC/Outlaws events showed up, reason for the shutdown, all that is great. And photos! There's just so little on this track at all to begin with.

#4 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 18:34

Originally posted by TheStranger
Track history, how many USAC/Outlaws events showed up, reason for the shutdown, all that is great. And photos! There's just so little on this track at all to begin with.

This has inspired me to write-up a piece, but...unfortunately, I've had jury duty this week, and will again all afternoon :mad:

...so, it will have to wait a couple of days until I have time to do a bit of research.

There won't be anything in the way of photos though. First, the copyright issue...and second, it dawned on me that I never took a photo at South Bay, not even at the couple of daytime events I went to. The regional racing papers didn't even have that many photos from the track, and those were very dark. The lighting wasn't great there.

#5 TheStranger

TheStranger

• 185 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 18:51

Originally posted by Jim Thurman

This has inspired me to write-up a piece, but...unfortunately, I've had jury duty this week, and will again all afternoon :mad:

...so, it will have to wait a couple of days until I have time to do a bit of research.

There won't be anything in the way of photos though. First, the copyright issue...and second, it dawned on me that I never took a photo at South Bay, not even at the couple of daytime events I went to. The regional racing papers didn't even have that many photos from the track, and those were very dark. The lighting wasn't great there.

No rush, I'll eagerly wait for it when you have the time :)

Are there ANY photos of South Bay Speedway on the internet at the present time? Given that WoO was there in the early years, I'm surprised I haven't found much yet.

#6 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 22:05

This is the only representation I have of the program, which is in "file" somewhere.
Posted Image

My daughter and I went to just one race at South Bay Speedway, and it must have been during this (late 70s) era. I thought of it as "South Bay Speedway" but don't remember if it was called otherwise by the time we got there.

It was for the sprinters, and we went on purpose to see them before she got too old to enjoy an evening out with old Dad, and before the track was closed down. I knew it would be, although it happened a little later than I expected.

That area is now the stuff of nightmares: mixed modern industrial and hang-on family detritus-flotsam-jetsam businesses, some hanging-on residential areas, modern strip malls and hotels, modern condo and apartment complexes, and all the 18-wheel transborder traffic mixed in with prison, jail, and ordinary border traffic.

The toll road that links almost-905 to CA94 and 125 and I-8 at El Cajon may have taken some of the load off the almost-905 four- and six-lane traffic-lighted monster, but not enough that I could notice it in the few recent episodes when I could not avoid using it.

There was a time when I used almost-905 twice or three times a week, and it was not that unpleasant a drive. Much of the land out there was tied up in suits between an owner and the County, so not much grew during that couple of years (early 1990s). It wasn't that much of a bonus when in 1996 or so our bunch managed Teleconferencing so I could do my interviews from a National City office. I think if I had to make that commute two or three times a week these days, I'd retire. Wait. I am retired.

Back on the Subject ... Sprinters on a half-plus-mile dirt track are very close to my favorite motor racing entertainment: midgets on any size dirt. Well, anything up to a half-mile. I saw the midgets at Pomona, on the mile horse track. Not bad, but harder to appreciate than at Carrell Speedway.

#7 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 21:24

Hello. I just found this very interesting forum after doing a google search for Speedway 117. It shot me here! Anyhow, I can give you quite a bit of info about Speedway 117. I raced a street stock and modifed there in the late 70s to early 80s. I've got all kinds of photos that I'll go through and, if anyone is interested, put them up on the forum.

Speedway 117 had a bunch of names; Speedway 117, Southbay Speedway 117, and South Bay Park Speedway 117 are probably the most common. The place was not the best motorsports facility I've ever been to, but we had a whale of a good time there. I raced in an an organization originally called SRA (Sedan Racing Association) and later changed to SBRA (South Bay Racing Assocation). SBRA was for the guys who loved the dirt and those of us who didn't have the finances to race on El Cajon Speedway's asphalt. In the mid-seventies, the cars were crude, totally unlike what they run today. Gas pipe roll cages on 55-57 Chev or Ford frames (some shortened to 109 inch WB), and steel bodies. Essentially a regular old car with a few mods made. Modifieds could fool with the engines and suspension, but the streeters had to be totally out-of-box stock. It didn't take a newbie long to learn how to cheat and just about everybody did!

The promoter/owner was a colorful guy; Don Basile. Don's racing history went back to the 40s and 50s. He raced a bit, but got connected with J.C. Agajanian of Ascot fame. The two of them promoted races all up and down the West Coast, the most notable being San Jose, Oakland, and the horse track outside of San Diego. Aggie and Don promoted open wheel races and stock car races. Don was Aggies PR man when Troy Ruttman, driving Aggies number 98, won the 1950 (I believe) Indy 500. He could tell some stories, and as I became a bit closer to him, did. He passed in the late 80s or early 90s of cancer, but I think if the cancer hadn't invaded him, he'd still be around promoting something with wheels on it today. He was a friend.

I can provide more if you want. Let me know.

John Ackerman

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 22:14

Don Basile, there's a name! Usually regarded as Aggie sidekick, but he did his own thing later on. Just a few minutes ago I came about his name, mentioned in a preview for a USAC Sprint Car show at Clovis Speedway in 1960. I'm not sure if he was the promoter in his own right, or did the hard work for Aggie in this case? A bit like Nunis or Breitenstein working for Hankinson.

Btw, welcome John!

#9 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 23:41

Great timing. I hadn't forgotten about the written history. Being busy and computer problems kept me from posting it (mainly the latter), but I think I've pretty much finished the first half...

So, is anyone interested in a rather lengthy history of South Bay Speedway?

Welcome John.

#10 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:42

Thanks you all. Good to be here. I'll try to contribute as much as my now-feeble memory allows. I've got the scrapbook out and am filtering the photos that show parts of the track. Should be able to get some photos posted shortly.

I'm not sure when Don and Aggie parted company, but I would bet that he was working with Aggie in 60 when he promoted the USAC show. He was an amazing man that alot of folks who ran at SB didn't trust. I got to know him fairly well. I can remember more than once offering to drive up to Ascot for the Saturday night show, whatever it may have been. Don and I would sign into the pits and my wife, when she went, would sit in Aggies private "box" next to the scorekeepers. When the CRA was running, Don was really at home with those guys. He knew them all and their wives, mothers, girlfriends, etc. , and they all respected him immensley.

Don was inducted into the Sprint Car Hall of Fame in Knoxville, IA a few years ago. That was a good thing to find out. I've heard that his son Bob continued some of the later shows, mainly demolition derbies, that Don promoted in SoCal. Wonder if anyone knows about that.

I will be more than happy to contribute to the history from the viewpoint of a stock car racer and also as a member of Don's operating crew for the shows he ran in the early eighties until the track got sold.

John

#11 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 16:05

Originally posted by j.ackerman
When the CRA was running, Don was really at home with those guys. He knew them all and their wives, mothers, girlfriends, etc. ,

... and, I bet, the wife and the girlfriend at the same time, too! :lol:

#12 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 19:53

Well, after much research, computer problems, etc., here it is...

"A History of South Bay Speedway/Speedway 117 - part 1 (1971-73)"

Once the only show in town, the open wheeled Modified Sportsman of the San Diego Racing Association drew large crowds to Balboa Stadium during the late 1950’s. But, racing at the historic romanesque stadium located less than a mile East of downtown San Diego ended July 4, 1961 to make room for the Chargers football team. The SDRA quickly found a new place to race, near El Cajon, where motorcycle races were being held on a ¼ mile dirt oval around a field used for high school football games. Just 11 days after their finale at Balboa Stadium, the SDRA was racing at Cajon Speedway. In 1964, the track was lengthened to a 3/8 mile, but the big change came two years later when the track was paved. Shortly into the 1966 season, the growing popularity of the Super Stocks of the El Cajon Stock Car Racing Association led promoter Earle Brucker to switch the racing nights. The SDRA was moved from Saturday nights to Friday nights to make way for the stockers. Not happy with the move, the discontent only grew. A dispute over the purse percentage in the late 60’s led to the SDRA briefly not racing at Cajon. The open wheel cars, now overwhelmingly caged Sprint Cars, would soon return to Cajon, but only for a couple of seasons. Worsening relations led to the SDRA leaving Cajon Speedway after just 4 races in 1971. Again, the SDRA would be looking for a new home. Veteran driver and former SDRA president Harris Mills and then president and long time car owner John Driver found it in the most remote part of San Diego – Otay Mesa. A motorcycle track featuring a large oval and TT/steeplechase course had been built in the late 60’s. The mesa, along the Mexican border and home to the Brown Field airport and rows of field crops, was reachable only via two rough two lane roads that wound their way up. On his first visit, racing columnist David Vodden described the location: “as close to no man’s land as you can get in Southern California.”

The sparse facilities were improved and an announcement was made that racing would begin at the South Bay Speedway on August 21, 1971. Boasting of a “computerized lighting system”, plans were announced that included hopes of hosting races for USAC and NASCAR’s Grand National West division. Delays postponed the opener until Labor Day night with Don Hamilton taking the inaugural race for four wheelers. In contention for the CRA Sprint Car championship, conflicts forced Hamilton to miss the next six SDRA races as Dick Fries won three of the remaining 7 races to earn his third SDRA title. Midgets debuted on September 24, 1971 with Southern California’s USRC sanctioning. The feature saw a surprise winner, as Billy Cruce took the checkered flag a car length ahead of a charging Lowell Sachs, preventing a sweep by the veteran of the Midgets heyday at Balboa Stadium.

In 1972, a dispute with the county over lease terms idled Cajon Speedway. The ECSCRA had to find a new home and moved their racing to South Bay. The SDRA, meanwhile, had a Super Sprint division and a Super Modified division, the latter hoping to attract cars parked since the class had died out in Southern California in 1968. While some cars dating to the early 60’s did return to the track, and perhaps even more surprisingly, one new Super Modified was built, car counts were low, the revival stalled and the cars wound up running in the same races with the Sprints (even though a Super Modified rookie of the year was named). Also new for ’72, and giving SBS another racing program were Jalopy and Mini Stock classes, which raced on a new, small "1/4 mile" oval, and Sprint Buggies, which raced on the TT course.

Despite all the changes, one thing didn’t, as Fries again dominated the SDRA action at the wheel of the Dean Meltzer Chevy. Fries’ most memorable win came on May 28 when he lost his right front wheel entering turn 3 on the last lap of the 50 lapper. Somehow Fries managed to keep going and cross the finish line on three wheels to take yet another win. A bounty was put up for any driver that could beat Fries at South Bay. On July 14th, after a heat race tangle sidelined the Meltzer Chevy, Fries jumped into Driver’s car for the main only to retire after another tangle and the streak was over at 7. Up and coming CRA driver Ron Rea made his South Bay debut and was leading when he ran out of fuel on what proved to be an extra lap, handing the win to Lee Robison. Needless to say, with his 9 wins in 16 races, Fries claimed his 4th SDRA championship. Robison scored 3 feature wins and Jim Wood 2.

On the Stock Car side, Pat McIntyre won the ’72 ECSCRA championship, the first of his record five titles. Midgets returned, with two USRC events. Sadly, barely a month after finishing 5th in the first Midget race of the season at SBS, Lowell Sachs passed away from leukemia. On August 25th, the Lowell Sachs Memorial Race was held with Jerry Weeks winning. USAC’s Midgets made their first visit on October 13th with a hard fought race that had five different leaders. Starting 14th after earning the last transfer from the Semi, Larry Rice went side by side with Bill Englehart for a lap before taking the lead on the 48th of the 50 laps and going on to take the checkered flag by two lengths.

Matters were resolved with San Diego County and Cajon Speedway re-opened, leaving SBS to the open wheelers, track Stock Car classes and motorcyclists. On May 12th, the CRA Sprint Cars made their first visit to South Bay and young Danny McKnight surprised by becoming the first rookie to win a CRA main event in nearly five seasons. While the first year of SDRA events had seen good car counts, in the high 20’s, fields waned and no record can be found of the SDRA racing after the Summer of 1973, though young Billy Allen was crowned the final SDRA champion. CRA returned on July 21 with second generation driver Clark Templeman scoring his first career win. Bigger things were on the horizon...

#13 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 23:58

I hesitate to interrupt, but this is a 1973-ish note: the final SDRA champion is featured in this post:
Upside-down and backwards

#14 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 16:11

Nice work Jim. Your story hit my memory banks and got it fired up! Can't wait for the second half. Not to use a cliche here, but your second half is where I came in. It will be interesting to see how the history speaks to our organizaiton (SRA/SBRA) and how it came to be. I was involved in that to some degree, having served on the SBRA board as secretary and later on two terms as its president. Stock car racers and Robers Rules of Order are very similar to water and oil.

Thanks for a very accurate history.

John

#15 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:16

This is another one of those amazing threads that develop here at TNF.

I often wonder how much motorsports "stuff" will be lost and never documented.

Henry

#16 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 22:55

Frank S
That South Bay Program cover looks very much like some old Ascot programs from 1977 that I have stored away some place with just some word changes, eg South Bay instead of Ascot. The car Oskie is in is perhaps Jack Kindoll's Maxwell that he was running in 1977 when we were in the US?
Peter
New Zealand

#17 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 18:27

Originally posted by Frank S
I hesitate to interrupt, but this is a 1973-ish note: the final SDRA champion is featured in this post:
Upside-down and backwards

No interruption at all Frank, thanks for the link. Yes, Billy Allen could be - umm, how should I put this? - a tad overenthusiastic?. While compiling the info for part 1 of the South Bay history, I ran across his first CRA Sprint Car win (at Speedway 605, Irwindale). He was nearly black flagged for not slowing under a yellow and fined afterwards. A year later he was blamed for causing a crash during a CRA race in which another promising young driver wound up losing a hand. That led to a suspension for "rough driving". Yet, at his best he could be stunning...I watched him in a CRA feature at Cajon Speedway over the July 4, 1976 holiday and he drove inches from the wall, a full lane above the outermost groove. Somehow, he made it work...and won the race.

And I should mention here that his father was a car dealer in San Diego, operating the Datsun dealership (my brother bought his first car there). Billy's brother Walt also did some racing and I found mention of him being the first Sprint Car driver to fly over the wall at South Bay.

#18 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 18:34

Nice work Jim. Your story hit my memory banks and got it fired up! Can't wait for the second half. Not to use a cliche here, but your second half is where I came in. It will be interesting to see how the history speaks to our organizaiton (SRA/SBRA) and how it came to be. I was involved in that to some degree, having served on the SBRA board as secretary and later on two terms as its president. Stock car racers and Robers Rules of Order are very similar to water and oil.

Thanks for a very accurate history.

Thanks John. Unfortunately you will disappointed with the following chapters as I could not find much in the way of info for the local Stock Cars other than some results (and even those were hit and miss). Sorry.

For your service on a Stock Car board, you have my admiration, sincere thanks and perhaps above all, sympathy :D

In general, it seems to me that while Stock Car organizations seem filled with their share of bickering, usually the result is the driver(s) or official(s) leaving, whereas in open wheel racing a rival association is formed.

#19 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 18:38

Originally posted by HistoricMustang
This is another one of those amazing threads that develop here at TNF.

I often wonder how much motorsports "stuff" will be lost and never documented.

Thank you Henry. Sadly, the answer to how much will be lost is: the overwhelming majority of it, especially without some organized effort to preserve the many regional racing newspapers.

For those wondering, part 2 (of 3) of "The South Bay Story" is coming...I need to do a bit more research and then some writing :)

Advertisement

#20 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 21:55

Thanks John. Unfortunately you will disappointed with the following chapters as I could not find much in the way of info for the local Stock Cars other than some results (and even those were hit and miss). Sorry.

For your service on a Stock Car board, you have my admiration, sincere thanks and perhaps above all, sympathy

In general, it seems to me that while Stock Car organizations seem filled with their share of bickering, usually the result is the driver(s) or official(s) leaving, whereas in open wheel racing a rival association is formed.

No, I won't Jim. The history is more than welcomed at this end. I can fill in some "holes" regarding the stock cars if anybody cares to read about them. Don's passion was open wheeled cars and he tried hard to get them to SB.

You are correct about the stock car organizations, at least the ones I was associated with. The job was tough, but most of the members realized that something was needed to establish some sort of standard for the events. We tried to run SBRA in a way that the little guy could go racing. We succeeded in part, but in the long run, the aluminum blocks, high dollar chassis, and running gear prevailed and it caused our demise. But it was fun while it lasted!

Now let's see part II!

John

#21 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 00:51

I went back and cleaned up Part 1. Apologies for such terrible proofreading on that one. Now, on to part 2 (the third and final installment will come when I have time)...

Part 2, 1974-1977 – Enter Don Basile
SDRA drivers Fries and Bill Bullock operated the track in ’73, but when they fell behind on rent payments, the property owners signed a deal with Don Basile. Described as J.C. Agajanian’s “right hand man”, the deal made Basile track operator, general manager and 40% owner. Basile immediately embarked on the most ambitious season in track history with races for USAC Midgets, NASCAR Western Grand National, CRA Sprints, CRA’s new Midget division and NASCAR Modifieds. Additionally, the Mesa Racing Association started a Street Stock class to race on Friday nights.

Highlights from a busy 1974…
March 23: the Cal Rayborn Memorial motorcycle race was held to benefit the family of the San Diego motorcycle ace fatally injured three months earlier in New Zealand. $15,000 was raised for Rayborn’s family with Rick Hocking winning the race over a field that featured Mert Lawwill, Gene Romero and Kenny Roberts in front of one of the largest crowds in track history.

March 29: Bill Englehart won a 40 lap USAC Midget main that had to be restarted after rookie Sleepy Tripp flipped wildly down the frontstretch infield after sliding off into mud left from heavy rains. Despite a partially collapsed cage, Tripp emerged shaken but otherwise unhurt.

April 13: South Bay’s streak of first time CRA Sprint Car winners continued as Bob East came home with his first win.

May 3: Figure 8 racing was introduced with a small field of Ascot Park regulars led home, as they had been so many times at Ascot, by Ed Ferro.

May 24: The NASCAR West Grand National series made their debut on a muddy track that caused problems all night. Fast qualifier Sonny Easley was dominating, leading by a half lap when a lapped car that had just re-entered the track from the pits lost power on the frontstraight. Easley was unable to avoid and plowed into the back of the nearly stopped car. Steam spewing and water pouring from his Ford, Easley’s night was done. Jim Insolo took the lead, but was forced to pit to have mud cleaned off his windshield and would not be a factor afterwards. Rookie Jim Boyd led briefly before 4-time series champion Ray Elder took over. Elder’s Dodge began overheating and Boyd was out front again. From there, the rookie – a 54 year old rookie – went on to take the win in Elder’s old Dodge. Jim “Pappy” Boyd was a “rookie” in WGN as he was making just his 4th series start, but was a veteran of many years on Sacramento Valley dirt tracks.

May 27: Tom Hunt won the CRA Sprint Car feature, stretching the streak of first career CRA winners at SBS to a remarkable four straight.

October 19: South Bay was part of a four race open competition Super Stock series. Cajon regular Gary Crossland, seriously injured in a 1972 South Bay crash that kept him out of racing for more than a year, made his return to the track a winning one. 2 time Indy 500 winner Rodger Ward qualified 17th and finished 8th in a much heavier NASCAR legal car.

Also in 1974, Ken Gidney, Bobby Olivero and Ron Rea won CRA Midget features in what proved to be the only season for the division.

On March 28, 1975, Larry Rice repeated his 1972 triumph, winning the third and what proved to be final USAC Midget race at the track. Also, for 1975, ECSCRA/NASCAR “showdowns” were held with ECSCRA drivers dominating the races where their Super Stocks (minus front fenders) raced the NASCAR Modified division.

The streak of first time CRA Sprint Car winners finally came to an end on June 15, 1975 when Clark Templeman became a repeat winner at the track. Bob East repeated in the other CRA event, held on November 8. The next afternoon, the postponed 100 lap Super Stock open was held, the race having been fogged out the previous Saturday night. Being the first high point East of San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean, it was not uncommon for the mesa to be blanketed by fog. Indy 500 vet Bill Cheesbourg brought his potent Mustang over from Tucson and outdueled a persistent Chuck Becker Jr. to win. 65 cars were on hand.

Open wheel racing over the next two seasons was limited to USRC Midgets as the CRA only held a lone race in ’76 (won by Jimmy Oskie), doing their area racing on Cajon’s pavement.

After a five month break, Stock Cars returned in November 1976 with SRA sanctioned races held Sunday afternoons on a newly enlarged smaller oval (described as “now a full ¼ mile”). The loose, almost “run what ya brung” events had Super Stocks from Cajon and South Bay mingling with Street and Mini Stocks. It was an odd sight seeing a Volvo or Ford Cortina leading a 1966 Dodge street stock.

In early December, Basile placed a for sale ad in the regional racing newspaper noting he would lease or consider an investor.

In 1977, Basile shocked the area racing community by announcing the Super Stocks would race Saturday nights – head to head with Cajon Speedway. Many scoffed and considered the idea foolish, but South Bay built a group of regulars headed by former Cajon regulars John Cartwright and Ken Snelling. Now known as the SBRA – the South Bay Racing Association - sanctioned Super Stock and Street Stock racing weekly on the ¼ mile.

After missing the first four races, Snelling went on to dominate the season with 14 wins. Snelling’s 14 wins came in 18 starts, including 7 straight at one point. One of his wins came in a borrowed car after the engine blew in his Chevrolet Nova. But, consistency earned Cartwright the points title.

In a repeat of 1975, an open competition Super Stock program in October had to be postponed after a lap 1 pile-up, caused in part by fog. The 100 lap main was run the following afternoon on a dusty, rough ½ mile with Bob Forster winning the 1 hour, 45 minute grind. Seventeen caution flags (with yellow laps not counting), led to cars running out of fuel. Forster himself ran out before making it to the pits after the checkered fell.

The November open for Super Stocks was captured by another member of the Becker clan, Rick, driving owner Floyd Johnson’s new Camaro.

#22 martyk

martyk

• 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 16:28

Good stuff, Jim.

I can think of a lot of tracks in California I'd like to have similar histories of.

#23 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 13:21

It's been awhile since I posted on this site. Haven't forgotten our forum and am still working on photos. I do have some personal pictures on Facebook. Search for John Ackerman if you'd like to see them. Meanwhile, I found a site with some interesting photos from SB on it. Here's the link:

http://www.tracksbackwhen.com/

Cheers,

John

#24 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:13

It's been awhile since I posted on this site. Haven't forgotten our forum and am still working on photos. I do have some personal pictures on Facebook. Search for John Ackerman if you'd like to see them. Meanwhile, I found a site with some interesting photos from SB on it. Here's the link:

http://www.tracksbackwhen.com/

Thanks John :up:

I haven't forgotten either. Unfortunately, other things have kept me from having time to do research for the third and final installment. Thanks for the kind words.

#25 B. Kelley

B. Kelley

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:59

Hello, I found this form after searching for information about South Bay Speedway 117, I raced there in the mid 70's (74-76). I raced in the Street Stock Class. I was still in High School when I started, had to have a permission slip from my parents to race.
I won one race,a B trophy dash. I wasn't one of the top drivers but I was there most nights.It was just a lot of fun. When my car wasn't
able to run I was helping out on Ashmore's Welding truck at the track..I drove a orange 65' Mustang #77. I enjoyed my time racing
there...I got a few pictures of me racing there.I can post them if anybody would like to view them..

#26 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:44

Hello, I found this form after searching for information about South Bay Speedway 117, I raced there in the mid 70's (74-76). I raced in the Street Stock Class. I was still in High School when I started, had to have a permission slip from my parents to race.
I won one race,a B trophy dash. I wasn't one of the top drivers but I was there most nights.It was just a lot of fun. When my car wasn't
able to run I was helping out on Ashmore's Welding truck at the track..I drove a orange 65' Mustang #77. I enjoyed my time racing
there...I got a few pictures of me racing there.I can post them if anybody would like to view them..

Welcome! And yes, please post your pictures.

#27 The Wolfman

The Wolfman

• 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 23:39

John,

You still around??

Greg Attaway

#28 B. Kelley

B. Kelley

• 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:49

Welcome! And yes, please post your pictures.

I finally got my pictures together. I also included a few pictures from a 1976? program, when the CRA Sprint cars ran at
South Bay..

http://s995.photobuc...mview=slideshow

Bruce

#29 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:49

Marvelous, Bruce! Thank you for the opportunity.

#30 whatley2400

whatley2400

• 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 22:45

Iam please to find this thread as I allso used to race in the street class and limited class 1971 thur 1973. Then I moved to florida and finished my racing career there.Ido have say it was one of my best times racing there. Made alot of friends there.I do have some programs, paper clipings, a few pictures. Right now I have to find them out in my shop.
THANK YOU Bill Whatley.

#31 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:49

I still hope to finish part 3, but unfortunately life has intervened!

So, if anyone is still out there. Eventually! :wave:

#32 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 21:23

I still hope to finish part 3, but unfortunately life has intervened!

So, if anyone is still out there. Eventually! :wave:

Yes Jim, we are still here! :up:

Henry :wave:

#33 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 21:57

Quite interesting to find this thread. I actually raced their several times both with CRA and in it's last year when it ran independant winged sprint car events. Hears a couple of pics that I scanned. I do believe I held the 8 lap track record at the time of it's closing, wasn't a very great record but I did own it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:28

Wonderful to see those photos. Don't hesitate to post more!

#35 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 23:10

Wonderful to see those photos. Don't hesitate to post more!

I have some images I scanned out of a couple of programs from out there so I will find them and post, pretty sure I have more of me as well. For us we always called the place Chula Vista. Fun track because as noted it was a long 1/2 mile track.

#36 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 00:48

Here's a couple of pics I scanned from action at Speedway 117 that were taken at the track.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 WildBill57

WildBill57

• 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 16:41

I just joined this forum after finding it again after a couple of years. I appreciate the hard work Jim put in to the South Bay Park-Speedway 117 history. Thankfully some of us that spent time there realized the historical significance of the people and the place. Where else in San Diego could you rub elbows with top tier racers like Dean Thompson, Doug Wolfgang or Bubby Jones one weekend and local heros like Larry Corning, John Cartwright or Pat McIntyre on another. I was born in San Diego, live in Ramona and made a lot of friends through racing at Carlsbad (drags), Cajon Speedway, South Bay Park-Speedway 117 and Barona Speedway. I know who John (Ackerman) is; I work with the wife of Rick Tate, one of his former crew members. Kenny Snelling has been a good friend of mine for many years. I remember when his father Merle was killed at Cajon Speedway in turn 4. Jimmie Wood is a friend and former jalopy pilot, modified driver and sprint car racer with the early days of the CRA at places like Balboa Stadium, Ascot Park, Corona Raceway, Imperial Raceway at El Centro, etc. Growing up knowing local heros like Hank Henry, Don Ray and Jimmie makes me a lucky dude. I will post some photos and programs that I collected over the years from the different tracks when I get some spare time. This is so great!

FYI, although I am still racing some, most of my off-time is spent living vicariously through my good friend; current USAC AmSoil National Sprint Car point leader Damion Gardner.

Bill Groves, Jr. :wave:

#38 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:19

Welcome!

Henry :wave:

#39 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 17:13

I just joined this forum after finding it again after a couple of years. I appreciate the hard work Jim put in to the South Bay Park-Speedway 117 history.

Thanks Bill and welcome. Jim Wood and the Ben Sanders Ford :up:

Also, a belated thanks to Mike for posting the pics :up: Very nice. For those not familiar with the area, please note how rural the area was - at least c. 1983. Otay Mesa truly was the last undeveloped area of San Diego.

To everyone waiting for the final chapter, sorry, I still haven't found the free time to do it :well:

Advertisement

#40 MarkStines13309

MarkStines13309

• 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 18:23

Hi Jim, I was introduced to 117, in February of '78. I had just transferred to the 32nd st Navy base and was house hunting. My only stop was at 19th and Coronado, where I met my landlord and now longtime friend, Don (DJ) Jackson, "The Racin Realtor." When we entered his office there was a clock with a picture of a guy in a firesuit and in the background a car on dirt (117). My first question was the location of the track, then do you need a pit crew. We've been friends ever since. During the '78 season I was Don's crew. Our first night out I learned the safe-tech in the pits was my former little league coach(Del Lawles). As driver introductions progressed I heard a few more names familiar from around home. Then in '79 I was fortunate enough to run my own street stock. Don's Otay Mesa Realty was one of my sponsors. I won my first race, the SLOW trophy dash. Marvin Evans (newly returned from three ? years overseas) was a little rusty and wrecked the other two compeitors and as we crossed the finish line, I recieved the checkers and Marv was black-flagged. The irony was the car on the trophy was facing backwards (to the left) and is still the same today. Yeah, I kinda backed into that one. In early 1980 I left the Navy and headed home to Indiana. My wife enlisted in early '81 and we returned to San Diego, but that will be another post.
Am looking forward to your chapter three. Yes, I knew John Ackerman and Greg Attaway and a number of other fine folks that raced there weekly. I have some pictures, a few with Don Basile , and some of Don's (DJ) car or mine circling the track. I still keep in close touch with Phil Dodge #38 ( the car and driver high jump record holder at 117 ) and Steve Stout #35 from nearby Unionville, who raced a street stock in '78 and '79. Us two senior citizens are attempting to get a street stock to run Bloomington Speedway next year. Will attempt to post pictures later and help in any way I can, sure happy to find this thread as 117 was one of the most fun things you could do with your clothes on.

#41 The Wolfman

The Wolfman

• 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:37

Hi Jim, I was introduced to 117, in February of '78. I had just transferred to the 32nd st Navy base and was house hunting. My only stop was at 19th and Coronado, where I met my landlord and now longtime friend, Don (DJ) Jackson, "The Racin Realtor." When we entered his office there was a clock with a picture of a guy in a firesuit and in the background a car on dirt (117). My first question was the location of the track, then do you need a pit crew. We've been friends ever since. During the '78 season I was Don's crew. Our first night out I learned the safe-tech in the pits was my former little league coach(Del Lawles). As driver introductions progressed I heard a few more names familiar from around home. Then in '79 I was fortunate enough to run my own street stock. Don's Otay Mesa Realty was one of my sponsors. I won my first race, the SLOW trophy dash. Marvin Evans (newly returned from three ? years overseas) was a was facing backwards (to the left) and is still the same today. Yeah, I kinda backed into that one. In early 1980 I left the Navy and headed home to Indiana. My wife enlisted in early 'little rusty and wrecked the other two compeitors and as we crossed the finish line, I recieved the checkers and Marv was black-flagged. The irony was the car on the trophy 81 and we returned to San Diego, but that will be another post.
Am looking forward to your chapter three. Yes, I knew John Ackerman and Greg Attaway and a number of other fine folks that raced there weekly. I have some pictures, a few with Don Basile , and some of Don's (DJ) car or mine circling the track. I still keep in close touch with Phil Dodge #38 ( the car and driver high jump record holder at 117 ) and Steve Stout #35 from nearby Unionville, who raced a street stock in '78 and '79. Us two senior citizens are attempting to get a street stock to run Bloomington Speedway next year. Will attempt to post pictures later and help in any way I can, sure happy to find this thread as 117 was one of the most fun things you could do with your clothes on.

If you still have contact with DJ please tell him HI!!!

I will never forget him for allowing me to pass him in a heat race one night ...

We both got in the slow heat becauce of mech problems ... I came up to DJ before the race and asked if he would mine letting me by at the start so I could get some "passing points". He asked you really need them and I said yeah ...

So the race starts and Don moves to the left, I happen to be the last car so I zoom by ... now the weird part ... it was like the field just parted wide open because by the time we hit the back straight i am in first ... lolol ... last to first in 1/3 of a lap ... and I went on to win the heat ...

I owe it all to DON !!!

:clap:

Greg "Wolfman" Attaway

Edited by The Wolfman, 08 August 2010 - 12:40.

#42 The Wolfman

The Wolfman

• 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:49

In case you missed the sad new "Marvelous" Marv Evans #13 passed a few years back ... But doing what he loved ...

It happen at Imperial Fairgrounds in El Centro, CA ... Marv was racin a open wheeled mod when he suffered a massive heart attack and died instantly ...

RIP my friend !!!

Edited by The Wolfman, 08 August 2010 - 12:50.

#43 MarkStines13309

MarkStines13309

• 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:31

If you still have contact with DJ please tell him HI!!!

I will never forget him for allowing me to pass him in a heat race one night ...

We both got in the slow heat becauce of mech problems ... I came up to DJ before the race and asked if he would mine letting me by at the start so I could get some "passing points". He asked you really need them and I said yeah ...

So the race starts and Don moves to the left, I happen to be the last car so I zoom by ... now the weird part ... it was like the field just parted wide open because by the time we hit the back straight i am in first ... lolol ... last to first in 1/3 of a lap ... and I went on to win the heat ...

I owe it all to DON !!!

:clap:

Greg "Wolfman" Attaway

Hi, Greg, I do talk with DJ once in a while and still keep in close contact with Phil Dodge. He was still in San Diego when Marv Evans passed away, so I knew that pretty quick. I have contacted John Ackerman thru this site and recieved a reply the next morning. While going thru some racin pictures yestarday with the grandkids I found a picture with you in a #77 car, Del Hoffman in a #47 and me in my 13 car. Has to be in early '79, as that was the only year that I ran that car. Don was good for a lot of us who raced at 117, and helped sponsor us a lot. I kept Otay Mesa Realty on the car every year I raced,at 117, and here in Indiana and down in Florida. Over the years a few military folks have actually rented houses thru him. John has a scrapbook for 117 on his facebook page. I am severly electronically challenged and haven't found it yet. lol Will try again this week, hopefully. Good to hear from you and I'll try to get on here more often. Mark

#44 The Wolfman

The Wolfman

• 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:54

Hi, Greg, I do talk with DJ once in a while and still keep in close contact with Phil Dodge. He was still in San Diego when Marv Evans passed away, so I knew that pretty quick. I have contacted John Ackerman thru this site and recieved a reply the next morning. While going thru some racin pictures yestarday with the grandkids I found a picture with you in a #77 car, Del Hoffman in a #47 and me in my 13 car. Has to be in early '79, as that was the only year that I ran that car. Don was good for a lot of us who raced at 117, and helped sponsor us a lot. I kept Otay Mesa Realty on the car every year I raced,at 117, and here in Indiana and down in Florida. Over the years a few military folks have actually rented houses thru him. John has a scrapbook for 117 on his facebook page. I am severly electronically challenged and haven't found it yet. lol Will try again this week, hopefully. Good to hear from you and I'll try to get on here more often. Mark

I know what you mean about getting here more often ... lol

We live in Hemet now ...

Wish we could have a reunion ... that would be great fun telling lies eeerrrr I men stories ... hahahaa ...

Found John A. here too ...

I will look on facebook too ...

laterssssssssssssss to all,

Greg "Wolfman" Attaway
#96 in your program
#1 in your hearts

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/South...59954353?ref=ts

Edited by The Wolfman, 08 September 2010 - 18:56.

#45 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:39

Sorry I've been remiss in not coming to this site lately. Decided to check it out this morning and found lots of new posts! And, thanks to the site, Greg Attaway and Mark Stines contacted me on email and we brought one another up to date. Talk about voices from the past. It was good hearing from some of the old SB folks.

I have also been in contact with H.D. Jackson who lives in Colorado now. He and I talked about a possible 117 reunion/get together. What does everyone think? Would there be enough interest to pull it off in the San Diego area?

I promise to check in more frequently in the future. Thanks to all for the great information about the track and the days we raced there.

#46 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 13:04

Try this Facebook link for the photos I've posted on FB. If anyone cares to add to the album, please be my guest.

http://www.facebook....p;id=1354909046

#47 1904

• 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:13

Try this Facebook link for the photos I've posted on FB. If anyone cares to add to the album, please be my guest.

http://www.facebook....p;id=1354909046

hi,my name is bob valencia,im so glad i found this site,i hope i got it wright,i also have tons of memorys about so.bay speedway,my father was moyto valencia. does this ring a bell to anyone?

#48 The Wolfman

The Wolfman

• 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:21

reunion!!!

John, your link was bad ...

Greg

PS: if you have my email as hotmail that account got hacked ... just change the hotmail part to roadrunner ...

Edited by The Wolfman, 08 December 2010 - 13:26.

#49 j.ackerman

j.ackerman

• 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:15

reunion!!!

John, your link was bad ...

Greg

PS: if you have my email as hotmail that account got hacked ... just change the hotmail part to roadrunner ...

Greg, it worked for me. 10-4 on the email.

John

#50 cmills

cmills

• 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:59

saw this thread and brought back some old memories my father harris mills spent his dream working on that track and we seemed to be out there all the time as kids we hunted gophers ran the admissions table picked up trash cans ran the water truck and did a little racing the tt track was a fun track and then we built the crash wall just like we did at cajon speedway meet some great people out there that i lost contact with after going into the service in 73 but was really disappointed that there never really was a track out there just for the racers. have been out to barona track and do enjoy the racing.