Photo

Silverstone Classic 2009; venue for celebrating a decade of TNF?

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 20:03

Just received news of one of the races to be included at this year's Silverstone Classic, for pre-1963 GT cars. Potential here for a re-run of the 1962 TT!

The Silverstone Classic organisers have announced a one-hour pre-1963 GT race at this year’s event. Brainchild of racer Ben Cussons, who owns a Ferrari Short Wheel Base and an AC Ace, the race will echo the era when GT cars were designed to be enjoyed on the road and raced on the track. Open by invitation to GT cars built and homologated before January 1st 1963, the grid will comprise an eclectic mix, from Ferrari 250GTO and Aston Martin Zagato, to Lotus Elite and Elva Courier. Ben believes that many cars that no longer come out to race can be enticed to do so if he ensures a level playing field, with adherence to the period homologation papers rigidly enforced, particularly with regard to tyre and wheel dimensions and ride height.
This race will give a different take on the usual historic GT races run to the FIA homologation period of pre-1966, and it will make a refreshing change to see some other cars and drivers at the front of the pack and on the podium. “We would very much like to welcome a truly international grid, and will invite our continental friends to come to Silverstone this summer,” said Cussons. “It is also going to be a good looking grid”, said Carol Spagg, who is involved with the grid selection, “Think about the SWBs, the Porsche Abarths, the SZ Alfas, the Lotus Elites, and the AC Aces. These are some of the best looking cars ever made”.
Ken Prichard-Jones of Silverstone Classic is giving this race his full support. “We would like to differentiate the
Silverstone Classic by presenting genuine cars and grids. Going forward it is our aim to attract the most original cars of all the historic race meetings.”
Harking back to the legendary GT races of the early 1960s, this grid promises to produce superb racing. Cussons has published an initial list of eligible cars, though there are others, all of which must be presented in pre-1963 specification:
Jaguar E-type, Aston Martin DB4GT & Zagato, Ferrari 250GT SWB
Ferrari 250GTO, Porsche Abarth Porsche 356, Chevrolet Corvette
TVR Grantura, Sunbeam Alpine, Sunbeam Harrington
AC Ace Bristol, MGA (inc Twin cam), Triumph TR3A
Lotus Elite, Alfa Romeo SZ, Elva Courier, Austin Healey Sprite, Morgan +4

The Silverstone Classic event promises to be one of the most important motoring events of 2009. It takes place on 4-26 July.

Edit: 24-26 July

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 20:07

that's a big event -- three weeks !!

#3 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 21:19

My son and I were 2 of the 6 out of 53,000 who were there last year. Golf in Donegal this year. But again I hope it works out for all concerned and we may be back.
SS

#4 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:26

Would be nice if they notified any potential Vendors for the trade villiage IF they were having one .

#5 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:04

Sounds good but why a 1hr race. I'd rather see 2x 30min races during the day.

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:08

Originally posted by Mark A
Sounds good but why a 1hr race. I'd rather see 2x 30min races during the day.

A 1 Hour race will take up less time than two 30 minute races overall; the timing of the whole package is what is important. Also the drivers of these cars will probably enjoy a one hour thrash more than two 'sprints'.

:wave:

#7 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:19

Two 25 min races are so much better for all concerned Pre War ,50's and this proposed race.Cars easier to look after and far more interest for spectator.Probably easier for organiser to stick to one hour but if the races were 40 min can see no problem.The last 20 min takes its toll.
I have always wondered how many TNF poster members go to the main stream Historic Races other than Monaco, where I noted a few, and Revival.The Le Mans Classic was not discussed on here at any length and does/will Silverstone suffer same fate?

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 16:30

Originally posted by john ruston
I have always wondered how many TNF poster members go to the main stream Historic Two 25 min races are so much better for all concerned Pre War ,50's and this proposed race.Cars easier to look after and far more interest for Races other than Monaco, where I noted a few, and Revival.The Le Mans Classic was not discussed on here at any length and does/will Silverstone suffer same fate?

Well at the moment I am planning to go to at least two of the days this year, maybe even all three!

#9 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 18:51

Barring some unforeseen event, I should be in attendance at the Silverstone Classic this July.

This will be my first visit to Silverstone in a very long while (don't ask how long....) and I am looking forward to seeing it again after all these years.

Of course, what I am really looking forward to is meeting more of you from TNF.

Perhaps we can make this an event in the "Celebrating 10 seasons of TNF" series.

Should there be any interest, I am prepared to deliver a learned discourse of some topic dear to my heart to an assembly of the learned listeners of TNF should we be able to find a cubby hole somewhere.

Your humble & obedient servant,

H. Donald Capps

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 20:00

Sounds like a good idea :up:

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:12

It would be great to meet the founder of TNF. :up:

#12 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:50

I was a maybe for that event but I think that now I am a pretty certain.

#13 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:58

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I was a maybe for that event but I think that now I am a pretty certain.

Yep, I agree.

I was just writing to a few people to say that, after looking through this year's calendar, that I was looking at this event & the Goodwood Revival as my "Big two" this year that I will definitely do.

If it were mathematically possible, I'm now 110% guaranteed of being there at Silverstone that weekend.

Only living a short distance away from Silverstone too, I know there are some lovely spots for a "cubby hole" nearby. :up:

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:55

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Barring some unforeseen event, I should be in attendance at the Silverstone Classic this July.

This will be my first visit to Silverstone in a very long while (don't ask how long....) and I am looking forward to seeing it again after all these years.

Of course, what I am really looking forward to is meeting more of you from TNF.

Perhaps we can make this an event in the "Celebrating 10 seasons of TNF" series.

Should there be any interest, I am prepared to deliver a learned discourse of some topic dear to my heart to an assembly of the learned listeners of TNF should we be able to find a cubby hole somewhere.

Your humble & obedient servant,

H. Donald Capps

A clarion call if ever I heard one................. :up:

#15 Peter Horsman

Peter Horsman

• 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:01

I will be there with a couple of cars, and I would be very keen, and honoured, to meet some of you guys whose interest and knowledge seems to know no bounds.

#16 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:46

This appears to be gathering pace. I'll make some enquiries about a meeting room.

#17 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 14:10

Originally posted by Stephen W
This appears to be gathering pace. I'll make some enquiries about a meeting room.

Don't want to intrude on anyone else's idea but have just spoken with the secretary of the Silverstone Racing Club who have their clubhouse on the outside of Woodcote and they would be pleased to welcome the TNF meeting on the Friday evening of the Classic if that helps.

There is a pay bar and snacks and they would be pleased to have a guest speaker (no pressure Mr Capps ) and may also provide one of their own. Their members would be present too and if this doesn't already include some TNFers already then shame on you as it's fabulous value with a grandstand adjoining, which has the best view at Silverstone !

They cannot do the Saturday so if that is important it's a non starter.

Post your thoughts please. :cool:

#18 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:15

Originally posted by David Force

Don't want to intrude on anyone else's idea but have just spoken with the secretary of the Silverstone Racing Club who have their clubhouse on the outside of Woodcote and they would be pleased to welcome the TNF meeting on the Friday evening of the Classic if that helps.

There is a pay bar and snacks and they would be pleased to have a guest speaker (no pressure Mr Capps ) and may also provide one of their own. Their members would be present too and if this doesn't already include some TNFers already then shame on you as it's fabulous value with a grandstand adjoining, which has the best view at Silverstone !

They cannot do the Saturday so if that is important it's a non starter.

Post your thoughts please. :cool:

That's saved me a lot of ringing round, thanks.

I think a Friday evening get together would be ideal count me in!

:up:

#19 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:36

Cor! It's not what you know........ :)

Advertisement

#20 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:00

Cor! It's not what you know........ :)

Just to be clear to everyone it's the Silverstone Racing Club on the OUTSIDE of Woodcote, not that lot at the BRDC on the inside with the rubbish view of the circuit !

A great lot of true enthusiasts amongst whom TNF will be very much at home.

So if we can get sufficient interest to do it then back to Stephen W to organise it please as we get nearer, I will help where I can.

:cool:

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:20

This would be an opportunity far too good to miss count me in.

#22 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 23:32

The Frogeye and I will be there but probaly only on the Sunday (and saturday at a push) depending on time off for good behaviour. I have only (to my knowlege) met two TFN members, Ted Walker and Aurora Phil, last Sunday.

#23 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:37

David welll done. now your next task is to find out about the trade area.......or lack of it !!!!!!!!

#24 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:33

Well, it seems the "Decade of TNF" celebrations are finally getting into gear! :up: Sadly, it's probably too late already for me to rearrange my holidays, although I'll certainly give it a try. Else, Friday is going to be very difficult for me to make. :(

#25 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 13:57

Count me in as well.

Geoff

#26 Brynmor

Brynmor

• 101 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 21:18

I should be there on the Saturday, taking my father for his first return since 1962.... :eek:

#27 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 21:28

Originally posted by Brynmor
I should be there on the Saturday, taking my father for his first return since 1962.... :eek:

Blimey, he'll wonder where on earth he is !!!

I really like the sound of the Friday evening Get Together too.

#28 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 21:34

Hello

Just checked the web site. There are tickets now available although it looks like there will be a concert on the Friday and also on the Saturday (Carlos Santana).

Meeting is entitled Rocking and Racing.

Geoff

#29 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:08

Oh dear . I also hear they maybe a "well known night club" being set up for the weekend as well.

#30 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:30

Originally posted by Ted Walker
Oh dear . I also hear they maybe a "well known night club" being set up for the weekend as well.

It will NOT be in the Silverstone Racing Club clubhouse !

Oh Dear indeed Ted.

It reminds me of the tale sometime in the distant future when the population reaches 8 billion and a guy living in a New York apartment with plenty of space invites a friend to share, in time the friend invites his friend, who in turn... you get the picture. Finally the original guy is living in a closet.

A rock concert, great idea, is added to a Historic Race Meeting, and then a second, and then a night club, and then etc. you get the picture. Finally the organisers feel the HRM is getting in the way of their profitable rockabilly venture...

It was a really good event last year with still loads of potential, lets support it and hope it continues to improve as a race meeting

:cool:

#31 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:04

Originally posted by Ted Walker

Maybe it'll be Thurdays and we can all dance around a RAM BT44!

:eek:

#32 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 13:13

'Maybe it'll be Thurdays and we can all dance around a RAM BT44!'
So, so good!

#33 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 13:50

Posted Image

:D

#34 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 15:23

Any reason for a pic of Mr Murray's Beautiful BT44 works for me... :cool:

#35 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:16

Congratulations TW, that's one of the best pics I've EVER seen on TNF :up: :up: :up:
Rob

#36 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:17

On the positive side :) You can buy race meet only tickets so you're not forced to listen to the music :)
I'll be attending the racing.

#37 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:20

But who is the dancer???? For one 'orrible moment One thought it was One!

#38 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:24

I see the resemblance :lol:

#39 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:26

Who else could it be!

You had to undergo a horizontal flip I'm afraid - artistic licence and all that!

:D

Advertisement

#40 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:27

Originally posted by condor
I see the resemblance :lol:

Well, apart from the facial differences...

#41 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:28

Oh dear!

What on earth persuaded you to inflict that upon the members, Twinny? :lol:

#42 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:42

Oh dear!

What on earth persuaded you to inflict that upon the members, Twinny? :lol:

I thought it was Anto du Becke!

:drunk:

#43 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 20:14

I hope it is. It just looked a bit like One.

#44 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 20:28

It can't possibly be you, Barry - I see no TNF badge.

#45 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 20:38

Definitely you Barry. Perhaps a year or two ago though judging by the barnet ;)

Rob :wave:
PS How did you squeeze into those trousers??? :eek: :eek:

#46 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 20:54

Originally posted by Tim Murray

It can't possibly be you, Barry - I see no TNF badge.

Posted Image

;)

#47 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 21:08

:lol: :lol:
Definitely BB. :up:

As proof here is a pic wot I took last year with a few of his TNF Mafia chums...

Posted Image
Rob :wave:

#48 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 13:24

http://www.newspress...00309silvcl.htm

PAR

#49 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 15:47

the more I read about the Classic the more likely I am to go..... I approve that it is forging its own brand image rather than becoming a pastiche of Goodwood (much as I love Goodwood), the pre 63 GT race sounds superb and you know I am even mellowing on the 90's super tourers...

#50 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 17:19

Sadly that Friday is the birthday of the present Mrs Macca.............so it's not looking good, much as I'd like to see you all there.

Paul M