595 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 13:21

News from Goodwood about the aviation interest at this years Revival

GOODWOOD WELCOMES BUZZ ALDRIN TO REVIVAL

There will be a 'Buzz in the Air' at Goodwood Revival
With just two weeks to go until the 2009 Goodwood Revival meeting (18-20 September), the nostalgic appeal of the world’s most authentic historic motor race meeting is set to continue with a huge variety of rare aircraft to complement the racing and period fashions on terra firma.

• Lunar landing astronaut Buzz Aldrin to fly into Goodwood as one of the star Freddie March Spirit of Aviation judges.
• The Freddie March Spirit of Aviation concours d’elegance for pre-1966 aircraft to include the final public appearance of the Vickers Vimy in flight, plus one of only two remaining Nimrods.
• Goodwood Revival air displays expected to include the Vulcan bomber.

With just two weeks to go until the 2009 Goodwood Revival meeting (18-20 September), the nostalgic appeal of the world’s most authentic historic motor race meeting is set to continue with a huge variety of rare aircraft to complement the racing and period fashions on terra firma.

The origins of the Goodwood Motor Circuit are based around the perimeter road of former RAF Westhampnett, a key Battle of Britain airfield and the location of Sir Douglas Bader’s final sortie. Throughout the Revival weekend a series of legendary aircraft – long associated with Goodwood – will be flying over the famous motor circuit.

In addition to air displays featuring the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight with Spitfires and the Avro Lancaster PA474 in action, the 1919-type Vickers Vimy will be making its last ever flight in public. Revival spectators should be in for a real ground shaking treat too as they will have the rare opportunity to see and hear a pre-1966 jet-powered aircraft perform over Goodwood, as the stunning Vulcan bomber is expected during the Revival weekend.

Down on the ground, the prestigious ‘Freddie March Spirit of Aviation’ – an aeronautical ‘concours d’elegance’ that recalls the style and excitement of flying as it used to be – will be held again this year following its successful debut at the Goodwood Revival two years ago. Freddie March, the present Earl of March’s grandfather, was a keen aviation engineer, as well as an accomplished racing driver and vehicle coachwork designer.

This attraction for historic aircraft built up to 1966 – the same cut-off year as all motor vehicles permitted on site during the Revival meeting – is in memory of the great man who had such an influence on Goodwood. A select panel of judges, including Sir Terence Conran, James May and NASA astronaut Buzz Aldrin – the second man to set foot on the Moon 40 years ago – will be selecting the winner of the coveted Freddie March prize from around 30 pre-1966 aircraft, set to include a 1934 Hawker Nimrod, a 1942 Douglas C-47A Dakota and a 1965 Bolkow Bo 207.

Good to see that those attending can hope to see a fly-past by the Vulcan. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Alan Cox, 05 September 2009 - 13:23.

Advertisement

#2 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 17:12

News from Goodwood about the aviation interest at this years Revival

Good to see that those attending can hope to see a fly-past by the Vulcan. Fingers crossed.

The Vulcan passed overhead here (Broadway, Worcs) at about 16.00hrs this afternoon

#3 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 15:05

Are we still doing the traditional 1pm meet on Friday at Ted's stand ?

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 22:22

Allowing for the event timetable, I was assuming that there will be a meet there at some convenient time every day - after all some people do only attend for one of the days.

#5 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:18

Allowing for the event timetable, I was assuming that there will be a meet there at some convenient time every day - after all some people do only attend for one of the days.

I am planning to be there on Saturday: and has been said before, thanks to Ted for allowing his stand - which is there, presumably, so that he can sell photographs - to be used as the TNF rendezvous.

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:30

'The Vulcan passed overhead here (Broadway, Worcs) at about 16.00hrs this afternoon'
Good, so you watched my £600 fly past then.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:11

You could have done a Formula Ford event with that money!

#8 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 14:35

Does anyone have an event timetable? I'm struggling to plan my Saturday visit, and I haven't found anything useful on the website.

[edit]

I just found one on the Goodwood website, published in April. Doesn't seem to have been an update since then. Here it is:

OUTLINE TIMETABLE

FRIDAY 18 SEPTEMBER: official practice – an action-packed day of qualifying for the weekend’s racing, with all the cars and motorcycles taking to the track. Throughout the day, there will be a number of air displays and also track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations, plus the Bonhams sale of fine cars and automobilia.

07:30hrs - Gates open

08:45hrs - Air Display

09:00hrs - Free Practice – Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy

09:35hrs - Official Practice begins (in race order)

TBC Parade: Mini Variants

14:10hrs - Air Display

TBC Parade: Stirling Moss 80th birthday celebration

16:10hrs - Air Display

17:30hrs - Bonhams Sale

18:45hrs - Official Practice ends and Track closes

SATURDAY 19 SEPTEMBER: first day of racing – throughout the day, there will also be a number of air displays and also track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations.

08:50hrs - Air Display

09:30hrs - Track opens

10:00hrs - Racing begins

Race 1 Goodwood Trophy

Race 2 Madgwick Cup

11:10hrs - Parade: Mini Variants

11:40hrs - Air Display

Race 3 Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy (part 1)

Race 4 St Mary’s Trophy (part 1)

TBC Air Display

TBC Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration – 2nd Official Practice

Race 5 Lavant Cup

Race 6 Glover Trophy

Race 7 Fordwater Trophy

17:30hrs - Air Display

17:30hrs - Racing ends and Track closes

SUNDAY 20 SEPTEMBER: second day of racing – as before, there will also be a number of air displays and track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations.

Race 8 Brooklands Trophy

Race 9 Richmond Trophy

TBC Air Display

Race 10 Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy (part 2)

Race 11 St. Mary's Trophy (part 2)

13:54hrs - Air Display

Race 12 Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration

16:05hrs - Air Display

Race 14 Freddie March Memorial Trophy

Race 15 Chichester Cup

Race 16 Whitsun Trophy

18:10hrs - Racing ends and Track closes

18:15hrs - Prize Giving

All timings are subject to change. Goodwood Road Racing Company Ltd reserves the right to amend or cancel the programme of track and other events, or any part, without prior notice or refund.

Edited by rwhitworth, 15 September 2009 - 14:44.

#9 mgtd

mgtd

• 143 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 14:44

Does anyone have an event timetable? I'm struggling to plan my Saturday visit, and I haven't found anything useful on the website.

I seem to recall a rough timetable in the latest Motorsport (S.Moss,temp.ed.)...I have the same problem,only able to go on Sunday this year,so trying to cram as much in as possible,not an easy job!

Stephen

#10 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 16:38

All TNFers are also welcome at the large Tourist Trophy Garage set just across the area from where Ted's stand is located - lots of Mike-related cars and people there and we even have the means of making (free) cups of garage tea for visitors! There are nine cars on display, both of Mike's racing Rileys inside the garage and another seven cars parked outside.

Edited by tonyb, 15 September 2009 - 16:38.

#11 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 18:22

[edit]

I just found one on the Goodwood website, published in April. Doesn't seem to have been an update since then. Here it is:

OUTLINE TIMETABLE

FRIDAY 18 SEPTEMBER: official practice – an action-packed day of qualifying for the weekend’s racing, with all the cars and motorcycles taking to the track. Throughout the day, there will be a number of air displays and also track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations, plus the Bonhams sale of fine cars and automobilia.

08:45hrs - Air Display

09:00hrs - Free Practice – Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy

09:35hrs - Official Practice begins (in race order)

14:10hrs - Air Display

16:10hrs - Air Display

17:30hrs - Bonhams Sale

18:45hrs - Official Practice ends and Track closes

SATURDAY 19 SEPTEMBER: first day of racing – throughout the day, there will also be a number of air displays and also track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations.

09:30hrs - Track opens

Race 1 Goodwood Trophy

Race 2 Madgwick Cup

11:10hrs - Parade: Mini Variants

11:40hrs - Air Display

Race 3 Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy (part 1)

Race 4 St Mary’s Trophy (part 1)

TBC Air Display

TBC Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration – 2nd Official Practice

Race 5 Lavant Cup

Race 6 Glover Trophy

Race 7 Fordwater Trophy

17:30hrs - Air Display

17:30hrs - Racing ends and Track closes

SUNDAY 20 SEPTEMBER: second day of racing – as before, there will also be a number of air displays and track parades of those vehicles taking part in the special demonstrations.

Race 8 Brooklands Trophy

Race 9 Richmond Trophy

TBC Air Display

Race 10 Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy (part 2)

Race 11 St. Mary's Trophy (part 2)

13:54hrs - Air Display

Race 12 Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration

16:05hrs - Air Display

Race 14 Freddie March Memorial Trophy

Race 15 Chichester Cup

Race 16 Whitsun Trophy

18:10hrs - Racing ends and Track closes

18:15hrs - Prize Giving

All timings are subject to change. Goodwood Road Racing Company Ltd reserves the right to amend or cancel the programme of track and other events, or any part, without prior notice or refund.

Excellent thanks, was looking for this this morning but struck out..... I'm there on sunday only this year, taking "mini me" for the first time and need the schedule to plan things to max his first Goodwood. Should be good experience for when he does his "anorak" badge with the scouts... :p

#12 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:56

To anyone of the TNF posters who will be at Goodwood but do not posess an official TNF badge - I will be bringing a few with me.

Posted Image

So if you are interested, I'll be at Ted's stand at the appointed time each day.

#13 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:38

To anyone of the TNF posters who will be at Goodwood but do not posess an official TNF badge - I will be bringing a few with me.

Posted Image

So if you are interested, I'll be at Ted's stand at the appointed time each day.

Barry,
Only two posts so far .... do I qualify for a junior mixed-infants TNF badge ? I will be at Ted's stand on Friday.

I am bringing my 1938 Lancia Aprilia to the pre-66 car-park .... first time on the road for 40 years.
Thanks,
Nick

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:52

One post makes you entitled, Nick. See you there.

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:30

Watch out for a particularly stunning, unusual and rare Italian V6 in the paddock...painted an unusual colour...

DCN

#16 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:02

anyone know the field for the TT?

#17 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 145 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:01

I'm almost embarrassed to ask... but what and where is "Ted's stand"?

Perhaps if you have to ask then you don't qualify?

#18 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:06

Ferret Fotographic - in amongst the other trade stands.

#19 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:08

Ted Walker's stand in the Revival market area behind the chicane grandstands. Ferret Fotographic is the official title!
Ted always gives a warm welcome despite us blocking the entrance as his punters try to get in to buy photographs!

Edited by Andrew Kitson, 16 September 2009 - 11:09.

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:10

Watch out for a particularly stunning, unusual and rare Italian V6 in the paddock...painted an unusual colour...

DCN

The yellow one Doug? I also hear Lotus 25 R4 had it's engine put in yesterday, after the no show at Oulton.

#21 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:25

Ted Walker's stand in the Revival market area behind the chicane grandstands. Ferret Fotographic is the official title!
Ted always gives a warm welcome despite us blocking the entrance as his punters try to get in to buy photographs!

And I'm not sure if anyone has said the "usual time" is 1 o'clock.
I'm giving the Revival a miss this year as I did the Festival, all I can enviously say is "All enjoy yourselves!"

Edited by D-Type, 16 September 2009 - 16:22.

#22 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:04

DCN

That's the one pictures of which briefly appeared in Cirrus' post on the 'TNF Dinner at Goodwood' thread...............and then mysteriously disappeared.

Hopefully testing last Friday went OK; when I saw it in sunny Waterlooville it looked superb, with all the numbers and 'stencils' hand-painted irregularly, exactly as the original.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 16 September 2009 - 12:05.

#23 delta

delta

• 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 14:52

That's the one pictures of which briefly appeared in Cirrus' post on the 'TNF Dinner at Goodwood' thread...............and then mysteriously disappeared.

Hopefully testing last Friday went OK; when I saw it in sunny Waterlooville it looked superb, with all the numbers and 'stencils' hand-painted irregularly, exactly as the original.

Paul M

Testing was fine . Perfect.

#24 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 14:59

Can't make Friday but I shall be there tomorrow working.

#25 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 16:21

anyone know the field for the TT?

Four AC/Shelby Cobras, the Aston Martin Project 212, two Aston Martin DB4GTs, two DB4GT Zagatos, four Ferrari 250GT SWB/Cs, one Ferrari 250GTO/64, two Ferrari 250GTOs, one Ferrari 330LM/B, one Ferrari 330GTO, the Ferrari 250GT ‘Breadvan’, Ferrari 250GT Lusso, four Jaguar E-Types, three Jaguar E ‘Lightweights’, one Jaguar E Low-Drag Coupe, and the spaceframe Lister-Jaguar Coupe…

DCN

#26 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 16:30

Four AC/Shelby Cobras, the Aston Martin Project 212, two Aston Martin DB4GTs, two DB4GT Zagatos, four Ferrari 250GT SWB/Cs, one Ferrari 250GTO/64, two Ferrari 250GTOs, one Ferrari 330LM/B, one Ferrari 330GTO, the Ferrari 250GT ‘Breadvan’, Ferrari 250GT Lusso, four Jaguar E-Types, three Jaguar E ‘Lightweights’, one Jaguar E Low-Drag Coupe, and the spaceframe Lister-Jaguar Coupe…

DCN

Is that all?  ;)

Tom

#27 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 16:48

Is that all?;)

Tom

Hmmmmm............your smiley may need to be :down: ...........in 2006 the entry listed eight Cobras and seven E-Types; and in 2004 eight Cobras (including two Daytonas and the Willment coupe) and nine Ferraris (including two 330 LMBs and four GTOs).

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 16 September 2009 - 16:49.

#28 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 18:46

Don't forget Stirling's 80th birthday tomorrow!!
I will be in the Fordwater Trophy with my Elite which has not been out for 6 years...............

#29 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 19:03

Orange-liveried, I trust?

DCN

#30 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 19:05

Orange-liveried, I trust?

DCN

Haha, no, it's been red for many years and it was BRG when Roger Friend raced it in the UK.
However, it does need a respray.............

#31 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 19:49

Haha, no, it's been red for many years and it was BRG when Roger Friend raced it in the UK.
However, it does need a respray.............

Don't you rock me Dadio...?

Posted Image
Photo by Giraffe (I'm sure he won't mind)

Edited by David Beard, 16 September 2009 - 19:52.

#32 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 19:55

Giraffe doesn't mind at all, because to be honest, I wasn't really photographing the car if the truth be known.... :love:

#33 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 19:56

Hmmmmm............your smiley may need to be :down: ...........in 2006 the entry listed eight Cobras and seven E-Types; and in 2004 eight Cobras (including two Daytonas and the Willment coupe) and nine Ferraris (including two 330 LMBs and four GTOs).

Paul M

Compared to what we see over here at every event save Monterey, and the TT entry list for Goodwood this year is a bonanza of the first order. I should change my tongue in cheek comment from "Is that all?" to "WOW!" :up:

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 16 September 2009 - 19:57.

#34 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 20:06

Posted Image[/url]"]Lotus Elite

The other red Elite....

#35 John Brundage

John Brundage

• 309 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 23:32

I have a vested interest in a white Alfa SZ that will be running. The car will be there, but I will be back in the states. So if anyone could take any pics if they see it, I would appreciate it. :)

#36 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:27

I have a vested interest in a white Alfa SZ that will be running. The car will be there, but I will be back in the states. So if anyone could take any pics if they see it, I would appreciate it. :)

JB,
Can you tell us a little more about that white SZ. I raced mine in the Fordwater Trophy a few years ago - chassis no 00107. Do you have the chassis number of the white car ?
Thanks
Nick

#37 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:41

It has been asked somewhere above (and no answer yet).. but is there a complete entry list available somewhere on the web ?
I have only found the "celebrity" list on the Goodwood page, but nothing else.

Ralf

#38 Bill Harding

Bill Harding

• 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:55

Moss's 1961 Monaco / German GP winning Lotus 18 has been refreshed by Rick and Rob Hall in time for Goodwood...saw it testing at Donington this week.
It is back in Monaco trim, less lower body panels and looks stunning.
Many thanks to the Wheatcrofts for their enthusiasm with this project, sadly it will only be in the Moss Parade not racing.

#39 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:35

Some people take testing too seriously........

http://www.flickr.co...57622320247546/

Paul M

Advertisement

#40 Ticker

Ticker

• 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:12

I too, as a lurker of many years standing, but only an occasional poster, would be proud to acquire a badge, Barry. I will be there on the friday, 1.pm per your instructions,

Ticker

Steve Whitlock

#41 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:32

I hope our journey from Cheshire is without serious hold-ups or 1 p.m. might be tight.

#42 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:27

You could leave earlier.................. :rotfl:

The timetable is now on the Goodwood website, only minor changes from the one that's been there since April; but there are parades on Saturday and Sunday to commemorate 75 years of ERA.

It's also 60 years for BRM (I'm wearing my 10-year-old 50th anniversary T-shirt!), but nothing to celebrate it............perhaps we'll have to wait another 15 years ):

Paul M

#43 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:34

I find myself with two spare standard tickets for the Revival due to them not being collected from me - Saturday and Sunday. Bit late I know but if it helps anyone, they are welcome to them.

Getting hands on them may be the problem but I could leave them at the Ticket Office just inside the main gate - I can check if this is possible in the morning, alternative, if nearby, would be to collect from near Hassocks in West Sussex this or tomorrow evening.

First ask, first served, I'll post back here. PM please.

Edit: Sunday ticket has gone. And so has Saturday.

And here is the track looking a bit different to normal earlier today:
Posted Image.
Posted Image.

And how many of you have overtaken a waste truck while going the wrong way heading for Woodcote?
Posted Image.
Posted Image.

Edited by tonyb, 17 September 2009 - 20:09.

#44 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:43

I'm thinking of going tomorrow - first time since 2000. I seem to remember not being allowed to get in the paddocks. Is that still the case? I was hoping to do some sketches and don't really fancy doing them all of back views seen over a fence. Was it only open to people wearing the right clothes?

#45 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:49

I'm thinking of going tomorrow - first time since 2000. I seem to remember not being allowed to get in the paddocks. Is that still the case? I was hoping to do some sketches and don't really fancy doing them all of back views seen over a fence. Was it only open to people wearing the right clothes?

Right clothes and a paddock pass are needed, otherwise you will be the wrong side of the picket fence, however you still get a good look at the cars, and the above only seems to apply to 1/2 the paddock.

Some teams are only given the cheap seats towards the airport, in which case you can get up close and personal.

#46 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 17:12

Great - thanks for the information.

#47 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:55

Have a wonderful time, everyone! I hope to join you again next year.

Jack.

:) :wave:

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:17

I find myself with two spare standard tickets for the Revival due to them not being collected from me - Saturday and Sunday. Bit late I know but if it helps anyone, they are welcome to them.

First ask, first served, I'll post back here. PM please.

Edit: Sunday ticket has gone. And so has Saturday.

So much for the effectiveness of the "For Sale & Want Ads" forum..... :well:

Edited by Giraffe, 18 September 2009 - 08:18.

#49 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:26

[edit]

More details, including lap times etc can be found here

http://www.tsl-timin...p;eventid=93821

Edited by Nordic, 18 September 2009 - 10:27.

#50 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:54

Some people take testing too seriously........

http://www.flickr.co...57622320247546/

Paul M

Any other info avaialble?
Looks like it could be the Robert Waterhouse car - anyone know?