Photo

Formula One Team Paint Details

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 17:09

This is a strange thread, but I was was wondering if anyone had a list of the names of the colours each team uses for their paint scheme and the type of paint that they use for all 10 teams.

McLaren
Ferrari
BMW Sauber
Renault
Toyota
Toro Rosso
Red Bull
Williams
Force India
Brawn GP

Advertisement

#2 RockOn

RockOn

• 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 17:18

McLaren >> Chrome and Fluorescent Red
Ferrari >> RED
BMW Sauber >> White and Blue
Renault >> Yellow, White and red
Toyota >> White and Red
Toro Rosso >> Dark Blue and dark Red
Red Bull >> Dark Blue with white and red lines
Williams >> Dark Blue and White
Force India >> Safron, White and Green
Brawn GP>> Dirty White and Fluorescent Yellow

Edited by RockOn, 11 October 2009 - 17:19.

#3 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:08

Not sure weither you want "colours" or "colour codes".

I don't think it's possible to find any PMS, or CMYK about paint liveries for F1 teams (except in the logo's from internet, but those are in HTML/RGB.

Spraying the paint on the cars is done in several layers, so there isn't a real code afaik.
For instance, Mclaren has an innovative surface coating, which achieves a high level of reflectivity. It's not possible to link a PMS, RGB or any colourcode to this. Dutch company AkzoNobel makes this paint specially for Mclaren.

Ferrari paints their F1 cars in non-metallic paint, red is called "Rosso Corsa" and the yellow of the logo is "Fly Yellow", that's all I know.

About the poster above me, it gives an idea but the red of Ferrari is a world apart from the red of Renault. Even the white of Toyata is a different colour then the white of Williams.

#4 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:43

I take it they don't send the cars down the street to the local paint and panel shop for a coat of PPG?;)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 12 October 2009 - 01:43.

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:51

I take it they don't send the cars down the street to the local paint and panel shop for a coat of PPG?;)

No. Almost all of the teams - McLaren and Ferrari being the only excpetion, I think - send their cars to an old kilmworks, a place where they used to make bricks. There's a company there that do it; they paint the cars in a special negatively-pressured environment, and they take great care to make sure there's no dirt or dust on them before painting because if there is, it can cost cars as much as half a second a lap. They cars only really have a basic paint job done before they're return to the teams. For details like the alternating red, orange and yellow on the Renault, they actually use decals to create the lines they want to create. Then all of the sponsor decals are added; they can cost up to $700 each and weigh up to six kilograms.

#6 Owen

Owen

• 13,183 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:55

McLaren use these guys.

Edited by Owen, 12 October 2009 - 12:56.

#7 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:57

and weigh up to six kilograms.

Lol, F1 stickers that way upto 6kg. So... roughtly 10% of a F1 cars weight is STICKER?
So... got any reference?

#8 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:01

Lol, F1 stickers that way upto 6kg. So... roughtly 10% of a F1 cars weight is STICKER?
So... got any reference?

Cars weigh 60kg or do you suck at maths? ;)

#9 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:05

No. Almost all of the teams - McLaren and Ferrari being the only excpetion, I think - send their cars to an old kilmworks, a place where they used to make bricks. There's a company there that do it; they paint the cars in a special negatively-pressured environment, and they take great care to make sure there's no dirt or dust on them before painting because if there is, it can cost cars as much as half a second a lap. They cars only really have a basic paint job done before they're return to the teams. For details like the alternating red, orange and yellow on the Renault, they actually use decals to create the lines they want to create. Then all of the sponsor decals are added; they can cost up to $700 each and weigh up to six kilograms.

Interestingly Toro Rosso switched from stickers to paint a while back I seem to remember it was for aerodynamic reasons.
Here's an article about it.

#10 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:14

This is a strange thread, but I was was wondering if anyone had a list of the names of the colours each team uses for their paint scheme and the type of paint that they use for all 10 teams.

Ferrari
McLaren
BMW Sauber
Renault
Toyota
Toro Rosso
Red Bull
Williams
Force India
Brawn GP

Fixed

#11 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:18

Cars weigh 60kg or do you suck at maths?;)

Lol, that's very emberrasing. I don't suck at maths I guess I typed that without to much thinking :rolleyes:

Anyway. 1% of a F1 car just for stickers is HUGE, and that was my point ;p

#12 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 14:05

Interestingly Toro Rosso switched from stickers to paint a while back I seem to remember it was for aerodynamic reasons.
Here's an article about it.

I heard a story about how much speed was found with Indy car replacing stickers on rear wing with paintjob. I don't remember it exactly but IMHO it was something like 3 mph in top speed.
Is here anybody who remember Jaguar F1-debut when they claimed green paint was two heavy?

Edited by alfista, 12 October 2009 - 14:06.

#13 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:05

Do stickers really way 6kg? Why so heavy?

Does vinyl weigh 80 to 220 grams per square metre? So there are 30 sq metres of stickers on the cars, surely that is impossible? :confused:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 13 October 2009 - 01:05.

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:19

Do stickers really way 6kg? Why so heavy?

Like I said: we're not just talking about sponsor decals here. Decals are used in areas of detail, like on the nose of the Renault R29, where you've got the yellow, red, white and orange all in roughly the same area. The actualy painted parts of the livery are a very basic coat because teams can't accord to have the paint in different sections overlap.

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:22

Ferrari, presumably, would be Rosso Corsa?

All I know for sure is the yellow on the Red Bull/Toro Rosso cars isn't yellow, it's amber.

#16 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:42

:p I'm surprised you are not fighting to decide if Ferrari is painted Blood Red or Marlboro Dark Orange.

But I also have a doubt if the paint is water based or petrol solvent based.
I heard carbon fiber doesn't accept regular automotive paint.

#17 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:57

I'm guessing 6kg is the weight of the vinyl + backing material.

Obviously you're throwing away the backing - 2kg of vinyl seems a more likely figure.

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:55

Ferrari, presumably, would be Rosso Corsa?

They do. I'm already certain they're the only ones who paint in-house, because the exact make-up of Rosso Corsa is as closely-guarded a secret as the identity of Deepthroat.

#19 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:59

No. Almost all of the teams - McLaren and Ferrari being the only excpetion, I think - send their cars to an old kilmworks, a place where they used to make bricks.

Brawn has a paint shop. They do it in house. It's an amazing facility - I saw it at the Honda charity open day. Room for a full chassis in there if they needed to - but obviously they paint them bit by bit.

They also had samples of the decals used for the silly old Earth dream scheme - they were HUGE.

Doug

Edited by djellison, 13 October 2009 - 09:59.

Advertisement

#20 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:14

They do. I'm already certain they're the only ones who paint in-house, because the exact make-up of Rosso Corsa is as closely-guarded a secret as the identity of Deepthroat.

The identity of deep throat is as well know as the make up of Rosso Corsa