Photo

'Grand Prix Legends' - the pc game/sim

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 06:04

Has anyone tried the game? Probably the wrong forum to ask, as I imagine most here won't bother with computer games.

However, as its a few years old already and on the cheap side now maybe its worth ago?

http://www.sierraspo...orts/grandprix/

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 07:46

Have a search among threads we were on two or three weeks ago, there was much discussion. Go to 'search' and use 'legends' as a key word, going back 14 days... you'll find a lot of comment there.

#3 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 08:58

Ran the search. I assume it the one in the racing sims forum?

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 10:57

No, in this forum.. there's definitely stuff there. Barry posted about it, I did, Keir, I think, and ZippyD were among them... just check this forum... probably about some remotely distant thread... now I remember, the 'how many corners at the Nurburgring' thread... that's it, still going strong.

#5 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 11:57

GPL, Best racing sim ever!!!!

#6 Wes

Wes

• 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2000 - 18:20

This game is so good, you'll feel guilty at not spending $100 for it. Try http://www.gplea.org for more info.

#7 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 21:00

1967 is another season I have a weakness for and will probably do a series on if possible. Indeed, I am thinking of doing 1966 and 1967 back-to-back. At least the GPL fanatics would take the time to read RVM even if most apparently don't bother.

#8 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 21:26

Don--

Those may be my favorite years. I'd love to see you cover both seasons!

Mobile Chicane--

If you Do get GPL, e-mail me. We'd love to have you join the Atlas Grand Prix Legends League.

#9 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 23:36

Originally posted by Don Capps
1967 is another season I have a weakness for and will probably do a series on if possible. Indeed, I am thinking of doing 1966 and 1967 back-to-back. At least the GPL fanatics would take the time to read RVM even if most apparently don't bother.

Great idea Don. I think that would also steer more posters into the direction of the Nostalgia Forum. By looking at the site that Wes included in his post, it looks like 1968 cars are available now so that would be the next F1 season I would recommend you work on for RVM.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 23:54

Easy pickings, 1968... there was so much about it in that thread we had about who was first to use wings... remember that?
And Joe, how's your resume getting along for Masten Gregory?
email me if you wish. And ask old Art, he might have seen him race or met him too...

#11 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 00:15

GPL nuts,
I've done a re-do on the Heartland Park circuit to make it look like the Nassau Speed Weeks. Thanks in part to the guys at Turn 1 for their Jamaica version of Heartland, I just took it up another notch. New program covers, track graphics, the lot.
In fact I've done a redesign of almost every program cover
including the Osterreichring, Riverside, Sears Point and Snetterton. Also in the works, Goodwood and Aintree.

#12 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 01:04

Ray, I have had absolutely no luck getting my article on Masten published here so far in the Kansas City. However, my article will appear in Rear View Mirror soon. I think either next Wednesday or the Wednesday after. Don? I will e-mail you here shortly to tell you about the run around I have gotten here locally.

#13 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 02:47

Keir - Where can I find your works? I'd love to see what you've done! Since I don't have a 3d card, I can't run Brands, Osterreichring or Snetterton :( So I can only run converted tracks, like Heartland Park :) And what do you mean Goodwood and Aintree are "in the works"?

#14 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 05:38

Fast one,

I'll get it sooner or later. My computer will run it pretty easy. Also just good to put it into the collection with Gp2.

However, what controls are best? I'm thinking that perhaps I should invest in the whole steering wheel and pedals to get the most fun out of sims.

They say the controls are quite hard in GPL. So I'm quessing the keyboard will not be too responsive> Gp2 still worked good with keyboard, but not too good trying gear changes. Virtually impossible for me.

Also I can't wait for GP3, but for that I'll need to upgrade my comp too. Still only an old PII 233mmx with voodoo 1.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 08:34

Having tried it with the pedals and wheel, and no other way, I don't think I would want it any other way. It must make a heap of difference, it was in a sim-frame setup, and there were speakers behind each ear (for the cars coming up behind on the left and right!), and a vibrator under the seat was in the works, if I recall.
This is just so realistic, this sim, I can't believe it. And I can't wait to see what kind of job they do on the Tasman tracks. Looking back at that other thread, you'll find Warwick Farm's due before December and Warwick Farm's 40th anniversary party. Remember, "Cocktails at the Causeway").
You blokes who have time to play these are really fortunate.

#16 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 12:31

MC--

You'll definitely want a wheel and pedals. Act Labs has a terrific force feedback wheel that even has an optional gate shifter! I use a Logitech Wingman Formula Force. It has force feedback, which you'll want, and a GREAT wheel. The pedals are not the best, but you get used to them. The cars are so sensitive, since no wings are holding them down, that it takes quite alot of practice just to keep them on the track. I sure hope you join us. It is the most incredible sim on earth. We race the Glen this morning; next week the Ring.

Ray--

I am thrilled about the Tasman tracks! Once I can "drive" a track, I can go back and read old race reports about it with a fresh set of eyes. Driving the old tracks clarifies one thing for sure. It leaves no doubt in a man's mind how utterly lame modern racing courses are.

#17 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 12:40

Fastone,

Racing this morning? So you actually play an 8 player game? I'm not sure what you mean as I don't know the muliplayer options.

What sort of connection speed does it need?

#18 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 13:04

Will Dale jr.
My Parkes Ferrari is on Tim Wheatley's site, but I haven't posted my other work as yet. Goodwood and Aintree are my newest Program covers, I believe GPLEA is doing Goodwood as we speak, so I'm ready with that cover. Aintree just got going as a reference work. You should be able to drive Osterreichring and Brands with the software mode, I don't have a 3D card either and they both work for me. Snetterton
will only work with a 3D card, however.

#19 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 13:18

We can race 20 at a time. In fact we have 19 drivers from seven countries racing this morning. Connection speed isn't as important as frame rate. some of us have to turn down the graphics a bit. Go to http://www.racinglegends-league.co.uk to check us out. Click on the big logo for an extended menu.

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 13:18

From Junior on the Nurburgring thread, first page:

FYI, Al Layton, Greg Longfield and Niven Riches are working on Tasman tracks for GPL. Warkwick Farm is their first, and every once in a while you can "see" them testing it on VROC. It's listed as "warwick".
It's their first track, so the going is a bit slow, but they've promised screenies soon. Check it out here:

http://underworld.fo...manproject.html

So that will bring you up to date and I think also link you to the list of tracks that are done already.

#21 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 02:49

Ray, I just went there, and sadly, it seems as though work on Warwick Farm has ground to a halt, but we should have some shots of Wigram soon.
Keir, check you personal messages.

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 03:55

I had an email last week about it. One of the guys is in England at the moment and his return is awaited... but I was told it will happen by December. The Farm, at least.

#23 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 14:06

Will,
My personal message area was blank.
Maybe it's not working??

#24 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 00:59

Oh well, maybe I did something wrong, but since I don't know what, I'll post it here. What system do you have and what kind of a frame rate do you get?

#25 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 01:22

Will.
Win98, Pent 2, 64mb, an Ati 2meg graphics card.
I never checked the frame rate, but for the most part, the game plays well enough in software mode. I still haven't
got a 3D accelerator. I'm waiting for the prices to go down and to find a 3Dfx system that's remotely trouble free.
I also play the game using a game pad. A Gravis exterminator!!!
On the track side, my Nassau circuit, Shamrock's Quay, is still in the testing phase.

#26 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 13:19

Can anyone help;
GRAND-PRIX LEGENDS (NOT the game)
The Motorsport Resort's club (MRDC) has started a registry
to find all the Formula-1 cars from the; "Return to Power" of 1966>1969 era.3.0 liter (non-winged cars). We ask if anyone knows where ANY of these cars are?; in a restored/un-restored/parts/museum, We are looking to host a series next year to get these cars OUT & ON the track again, but we would like to find out how many?, and who has them? We will send the owner a complete package, with information on their car/photos/registration documents, along with a MRDC chassis I.D. plate... please contact: powertech1@arrakis.es

If anyone needs a list of the cars we are looking for please e-mail us..
Thanks....

#27 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 15:42

http://www.barchetta...rmula.60.69.htm hold some info on Ferraris

#28 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 01:05

I would think the Tom Wheatcroft founder & owner of
The Donington Grand Prix Collection would be a place to start.

Contact
The Donington Grand Prix Collection,
Donington Park,
Castle Donington,
Derbys. DE74 2RP

Tel: 01332 811 027
Fax: 01332 812 829

#29 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 07:40

Thanks Dennis;
Tom Wheatcroft and Rick Hall, are very much aware of the project, between them we have found a good selection of cars (approx 10) we calculate there was around
80>90 cars built of that era. The hard ones are the following; Brabham BT 24
BT 26
BRM's we have a good handle on those...
Coopers T-81 (Maserati) we found 2 of the 6>7 built
Lotus 43 H-16 BRM located 1 (unrestored)
McLarens M2B
M4A
M5A
M7A...have no idea where they are aside from the
McLaren Museum
Matra MS10
MS11 found those
Shannon Climax; Motorsport Resort will enter this car.
Eagle T1G found 1
Honda RA 273
RA 300 (Hondalola) this car is missing
RA 301
RA 302
The Honda factory has the other cars except
the Honda Lola it went to the states and
turned into a F-5000 car.
Ferrari 312 found 3 with the help of this forum....
Thanks...

We also ar looking for a BRM H-16 engine for the restoration on the Lotus 43 (a very important car)as it won the US Grnad-Prix at the Glen with Clark, it's the only time a BRM H-16 engined car won a race.

#30 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 08:24

You looked at http://www.motorbase.com already? Don't know if it's any help, but there's lists per manufacturer per type, showing clubs and addresses.

#31 GT Action Photo

GT Action Photo

• 96 posts

Posted 18 August 2000 - 22:01

Originally posted by MOTORSPORT RESORT

We also are looking for a BRM H-16 engine for the restoration on the Lotus 43 (a very important car)as it won the US Grand-Prix at the Glen with Clark, it's the only time a BRM H-16 engined car won a race..

GT wrote:
Maybe Tony Rudd might know where some BRM H-16 Engines are buried.

Posted Image
(Photo: GT Action Photo)

With kind regards,
Gary Trobaugh

#32 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 21 August 2000 - 18:29

Presumably you know of all the cars the have appeared at the Formula Adelaide meetings of the last two years? Formula Adelaide is a nick that attached itself to a support event on the Adelaide 500 touring car event where the cars are 60's period Formula One's or Tasman cup cars, with a preference for the larger 3.0 litre F1's and 2.5 litre Tasman cars, although none of the 1.5's have been refused entry :p

There appeared this year the following,
Brabham BT7A
Brabham BT11A Climax
Brabham BT22
Brabham BT23A Repco (x2)
Brabham BT24 Repco (x2)
BRM P133 (x2)
BRP BRM 20
Cooper BRM (?)
Ferrari 312 V12 (x2)
Lotus 35 Climax
Lotus 39 Climax
Lotus 49 Cosworth
Lotus 49B Cosworth (x2)

Last year
Brabham BT11A Climax (x2)
Brabham BT23A Repco
Brabham BT31 Repco
BRM H16 (?)
BRM P133 (x2)
Ferrari 312/69
Lotus 32 Climax
Lotus 35 Climax
Lotus 49B Cosworth (x2)
McLaren M5A BRM

The recently departed John Dawson-Damer owned several F1 Loti, including a 49B.

yours
Mark Jones

#33 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 21:31

This is probably a fruitless exercise but I am seeking to buy a copy of the PC game Grand Prix Legends. I finally now have a PC with 3d graphics and I want to play this great game. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere I have looked in the stores. Does anyone here know a shop in Melbourne, Australia that is still selling it?

Cheers
Matt

#34 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 22:19

Not sure about Melbourne stockists (I'm in Sydney) but if you don't mind online shopping you can purchase it from the Pitstop Bookshop in Perth http://www.pitstop.net.au They can have it to you next day delivery (via AAE) and will probably set you back 50 AUD or so including shipping. Just go to the online shop and use the search function for 'Legends' which will pick it up.

You will not regret the purchase let me tell you GPL is something very special it is basically all I use my PC for.

#35 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 22:40

You must also buy a force feedback steering wheel and pedals to truly enjoy the game...and by the way it is bloody difficult to master.

#36 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 22:45

Buy it, buy it now!!!

You won't be sorry.

You won't have any spare time, but you won't be sorry.

You'll chain yourself to your computer, but you won't be sorry.

I'm thinking of starting a support group!!!

#37 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 22:56

LOL! Bloody oath Keir GPL is a masterpiece.

BTW I was stunned by the uncanny realism of GPL last night when I had a race at Monterrey. At the start Hill took Clark out (bet Colin was happy) putting myself in the lead until I was shunted from behind at the corkscrew by an over enthusiastic Surtees. This put Chris Amon in the lead which he held for 13 of the 14 laps setting fastest lap on the way only to be forced to run wide by a backmarker 2 corners from the chequered flag which allowed Hulme to nip through and take the win. Amon foiled within spitting distance of the laurels again :(

#38 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 22:56

Thanks for the info Bernd and MoMurray I will chase that up.

I have a Logitech FF wheel so I will be able to enjoy it fully.

Cheers
Matt

#39 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 23:03

No problems Matt, let us know how you go. And you better not be one of those insanely talented blokes who can turn 3.15's at Spa from get go :)

Advertisement

#40 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 02 November 2000 - 23:12

No Bernd I am one of those mediocre PC racers who will probably take the rest of my life to complete one single GP on GPL.

I can think of worse things to do for the rest of my life.

:) :)

Cheers
Matt

#41 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 07:59

I lay in bed at night DREAMING about doing a 3.15 at Spa...
As well as dreaming about COMPLETING a lap at the Ring faster than a one-legged nun on a bicycle!

#42 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 12:34

I'd be bloody happy just to do one lap of Spa without putting it in the hedge ;)

#43 Peterson

Peterson

• 91 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:44

Hi all!

About (almost exactly..) three years ago Papyrus released what is still regarded as the finest motorsport simulation ever* for the PC, Grand Prix Legends.

"Yeah, yeah, its just one of those stupid computer games kids play these days":rolleyes:, you might think. Yes? No!

No no:1. Its a simulation of the 1967 Grand Prix season. You get to drive the Ferraris, Lotus, Eagle, Brabham and so on. And they are hard to drive, o´boy they are hard to drive, because it´s a simulation. If you manage to get out of the pits the first time you drive it you are either lucky or very skilled. It takes a lot of practise to master these cars. Your competitors are Hill, Clark, Gurney, Bonnier, Bandini and the others.

No no:2. The tracks are the old Spa, Nurburgring, Watkins Glen, Rouen (not a track on the calender 1967, but the Bugatti "Mickey Mouse"-circuit was considered to boring) and so on. 11 Very carefully created tracks with nice graphics that still is among the best on the market.

No no:3. I am 34. Not a kid (except if you ask my mom, and maybe som members of this forum;)). There is quite a big community involved and most are around their thirties. We race online and many people are creating cars, utilities and tracks, yes tracks for use in GPL (as we call it). We can now race on tracks like Avus, old Imola, Milano (Monza with banking), Solitude, and more...

So, this is not kids playing around. Most are also very interested in motorsport history. Wich is why i am here at the TNF.
And my username and avatar should give you some clues to my early preferences in Formula one.

Back to the original question....

I like to know about stories of the real legends (or other race car drivers from that time) who have tried Grand Prix Legends and their thoughts of it and how close to the real thing it actually is.

Regards
Fredrik

*You who dont think its is the best, fine, but don´t tell us in THIS thread...:p

#44 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:59

I have played GPL, I whould rate the game as been very to close to the real thing. :up:

The way the cars responds on the track with respeat to braking, steering and throttle respond is good but sometimes a bit under and over excussive. :rolleyes:

The tracks have the correct layout :) but the graphics in the backround is not great in terms textures and a lack of weather change Eg. Rain and clouds, one whould have thought it whould have been included. :rolleyes:

One thing that Papyrus has done with the way you drive car in the car it has a long picture view like the movie the game was based on. (Grand Prix) :)

One thing that is missing from the is a backround music in the menu's to give the felling of been in 1960's. Many of the videos that speak about racing the 60's have this fun far music in the background.;)

#45 Peterson

Peterson

• 91 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 13:20

They didn´t have the time to include weather.
Luckily for most of us. I cant drive Mosport very good in the dry. It rained heavily in -67... :drunk:

Some cool music from the sixties in the background is a really nice idea. Maybe some third party develeoper could fix that... :D

#46 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 357 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 04:02

i read somewhere that JYS tried GPL a while ago, he seems to think there are too little grip with GPL than the real thing.

#47 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 04:39

I am a self confessed GPL addict:smoking:

Chris

#48 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,427 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 10:22

Philip Lee KK:

Yes, Jaclie Stewart tried it and his opinion was that the 1967 cars were actually easier to drive than those in GPL.

It has to do with the fact that in a simulator on a computer you don't feel the G-forces, you don't get any information whatsoever except that from your eyes and ears (and even that information is much less than in real life).

Since the physics are more or less 100% accurate, one could possibly compare driving GPL with driving the real cars remote controlled, which ofcourse would be pretty tough...

Still, it's a real challange, and even though I'm really far off the pace I still enjoy playing it very much. There were rumours circulating about a year ago that papyrus were doing a sequel based on one of the 1070's seasons, but apparently it came to nothing :cry:

Wouldn't it be something if they made one super-game that had, for instance the 1954, 1967, 1973, 1986, 1993 seasons all included. I know it's not possible at the moment, but boy would I race...

#49 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 11:10

I think there are various threads on the GPLEA forum saying which drivers past & present have had a go on GPL. Certainly Montoya is one of them and also Jack Brabham was involved somewhere along the line. I don't think the search is currently working, so you may have to work your way down the list of threads

http://www.sportplanet.com/gpl/

Chris

#50 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 865 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 12:39

Originally posted by Rediscoveryx
Philip Lee KK:

Yes, Jackie Stewart tried it and his opinion was that the 1967 cars were actually easier to drive than those in GPL.

It has to do with the fact that in a simulator on a computer you don't feel the G-forces, you don't get any information whatsoever except that from your eyes and ears (and even that information is much less than in real life).

I agree with that - because you don't feel any G-forces, it feels like you have no grip and are driving on ice. It's the commonest complaint about GPL when people try it for the first time.

I have got used to this after many, many hours with GPL - but loads of people I know couldn't.

- Michael