Photo

Sebastian Vettel (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9757 replies to this topic

#1 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 23:21

There are threads on just about any subject in here. We have one for team-mates, the team, but this hopeful perhaps should have his own thread as well. Lets follow him in focus during this season. In couple of hours Melb. FP1 will begin on his way of redemption.

My prediction for Oz: Race final, P2

Advertisement

#2 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,318 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 23:27

P2 for me as well, only caveat is he gets out qualified by MW, if not P1

#3 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 23:50

I'm not even going to try to predict - but he will be right up there.

#4 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 23:59

Reliability is the issue.
If Red Bull have it sorted, P1 Melbourne and 2010 WDC :cool:

#5 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 23:59

I think he will win the race :up:

#6 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 00:09

If we're really lucky, this time we might get to see the fight that could have been in Bahrain between him and Alonso, if not for his engine mishap.

#7 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 00:13

Yeah, reliability allowing, it's his race.

#8 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 00:35

Vettel kicks ass! :love: ...Hamster is way better though! :p

#9 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 00:49

I am banking on him winning - he's a little whip. He's in a good place for me because he is young and I have no expectations beyond seeing him continue to improve and one day be WDC - likely in the next few seasons if not this one. I have no idea why people bank on Alonso - Ferarri cannot prove their reliability in 1 race - 07/08 showed otherwise after a decent start. 09 came on very late and they gave up on it, so they are 'wait and see' for me. Other constructors have issues too, so I don't have any expectation about who Vettel will be fighting - assuming the RB is more or less reliable. In any case Vettel's got my vote - honest speed captivates me - now lets just hope the rules allow us to enjoy a bit of it.

Edited by bourbon, 26 March 2010 - 00:51.

#10 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:11

Seb usually doesn't make any noises during FPs. He drives one home in Quali. We have to wait.

Edited by MiPe, 26 March 2010 - 03:11.

#11 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:41

Big fan here. :wave: I think the kid has a great attitude and remarkable maturity for his age (ron dennis comments notwithstanding), I find it very easy to cheer to for sebastian. He's like the anti-schumacher. :up:

#12 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:41

He's impressed ever since he filled in for Robert K after his monster prang in 2007 and was sublime in the STR in 2008, becoming the youngest pole sitter and grand prix winner ever. Had it not been for poor reliability and some errors due to inexperience, he'd have been a lot closer to Button in 2009 and unless the gremlins get him, I don't see why he shouldn't become the youngest WDC too. Good to see he's not afraid to express his annoyance at certain members of the F1 community who see fit to cast doubt on his team's integrity. One to watch. One to cheer for.

#13 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:32

Seb is laying low as usual. He has to have his guys watched for dry tarmack. This quali under under unequal conditions drives me nuts. (Main reason why I still prefer the old system in which driver could get on the track any time he wanted during span of an hour on an empty tank, drill one home! Wheather conditions were offset by broader timing choices).

Edited by MiPe, 26 March 2010 - 12:33.

#14 jez33

jez33

• 1,138 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:08

Seb's developed into a very fast racer and a sublime qualifer, but his debut in the BMW in 2007 was spectacularly ordinary and a massive let down compared to his low fuel, fresh tyre, fresh engine practice sessions of that season.

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:21

Seb is also clearly "new" generation of young men growing up. His characterisation of RD, regardless if justified or not, is unheard off in my time, so I better get used to it.

I am not sure anymore what I saw in his driving three years ago which cought my attention, but I was thus far lucky. He is really polishing his craft to perfection; it's pleasure to watch it.

He slid of the tarmack in FP2, and I am hoping he will remember it in a wet race, so we don't get another Maly. :)

#16 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:33

He slid of the tarmack in FP2, and I am hoping he will remember it in a wet race, so we don't get another Maly. :)

I think he was taken by surprise when Alonso slowed in front of him.

#17 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:34

He won his first ever GP in the wet, I imagine he knows what he's about - he just has to keep focused. But that goes for every driver on the track, so it is not a special burden for him.

#18 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:00

Yes, in "poor sister" car, and that possibly put him on a racing map and radar of some better off teams.

#19 stonebutter

stonebutter

• 697 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:03

He won his first ever GP in the wet, I imagine he knows what he's about - he just has to keep focused. But that goes for every driver on the track, so it is not a special burden for him.

It appears that it is given his track record of choking when the pressure is on.

Advertisement

#20 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 18:16

The pressure was on last year, big time, he did pretty good in my estimation. 2nd WDC is nothing to scoff at.

Meanwhile, Christian Horner backs up Sebastian's response to Ron:

"I guess the problem with age is that your hearing tends to fail you a little bit and perhaps Ron didn't hear the misfire that was there and probably didn't see the fact that the other car also finished the race without any issues at all," he said. "It wasn't anything to do with the size of the fuel tank. As I say it was a spark plug issue and that was it."

He added that balancing power against fuel consumption was a difficult task, but insisted it was not one his team had concerns over..."
http://en.espnf1.com...tory/12504.html

Edited by bourbon, 26 March 2010 - 18:18.

#21 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 18:31

It appears that it is given his track record of choking when the pressure is on.

Suzuka 2009 when he had to win to keep mathematical chance alive for WDC crown is a unique example that under certain conditions he is very resilient to external pressures. That was not just my observation, but quite broad consensus among fans and men on the inside as well.

Edited by MiPe, 26 March 2010 - 20:02.

#22 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 18:40

Suzuka 2009 when he had to win to keep mathematical chance alive for WDC crown is a unique example that under certain conditions he is very resilient ot external pressures. That was not just my observation, but quite broad consensus among fans and men on the inside as well.

I also noticed. What struck me about last season was that as the season progressed, he got better under pressure. He is definitely more resilient now than he was 12 months ago.

#23 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:06

I was amazed yesterday in the thread about Vettel vs Ron where a lot of people wrote he shouldn't say anything because didn't have any achievments.
To start with he's only 22. He has won 5 times already including 1 win with a Toro Rosso (!) and was runner upp last year. He is really special and I hope he can fight it out this season without too much reliability issues. Can be a great show.

Among the records he has is the youngest to score pole position and youngest grand prix winner by nearly a year.

#24 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:13

I was amazed yesterday in the thread about Vettel vs Ron where a lot of people wrote he shouldn't say anything because didn't have any achievments.
To start with he's only 22. He has won 5 times already including 1 win with a Toro Rosso (!) and was runner upp last year. He is really special and I hope he can fight it out this season without too much reliability issues. Can be a great show.

Among the records he has is the youngest to score pole position and youngest grand prix winner by nearly a year.

Youngest WDC runner up. He's only got one to get now. Youngest WDC.

#25 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:26

Yes and he has a real chance :up:

#26 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:57

http://www.oddscheck...rs-championship

Seb is creeping up on Alonso with the British bookies.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:08

Albert Park - FP3 - Sebi was not too comfy, but I think that's his style. In couple of hours from now he needs to drill one home. But, all in all not bad. His mentor is messing up his stuff too. :D

Edited by MiPe, 27 March 2010 - 04:08.

#28 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:13

Don't write him off yet, he's one of the best at whipping a lap out when it counts.

#29 magisenna

magisenna

• 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:45

Don't write him off yet, he's one of the best at whipping a lap out when it counts.

He kept finding traffic too and looked very agitated in the cockpit. The laptime is there.

#30 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:31

Congratulation to Seb; best position to be in these days. Now the race.

#31 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,820 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:56

Dear MiPe,

I remember few years ago, I had debates with you when you were putting statements that Vettel is a star talent. The other one we debated about was Rosberg.

Already last year was enough to see that Vettel has all what is needed to be the star driver. This year so far prooves that. Also Rosberg shows that he can take all what car offers in difficult position of being teammate to living F1 legend.

Basic civil courage requires that I admit you were right and I was wrong. For sure on Vettel. Very most likely on Rosberg too (but it's not Nico's thread :-) )

Credit to you. You foreseen great things from Vettel when many people were laughing at him early in 2008.

#32 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 13:16

Dear MiPe,

I remember few years ago, I had debates with you when you were putting statements that Vettel is a star talent. The other one we debated about was Rosberg.

Already last year was enough to see that Vettel has all what is needed to be the star driver. This year so far prooves that. Also Rosberg shows that he can take all what car offers in difficult position of being teammate to living F1 legend.

Basic civil courage requires that I admit you were right and I was wrong. For sure on Vettel. Very most likely on Rosberg too (but it's not Nico's thread :-) )

Credit to you. You foreseen great things from Vettel when many people were laughing at him early in 2008.

Yes I remember, Gemini. I do not know of course if you are a star in your own life, but I think behind this screen name you could be actually a great person. Your posts were always acceptable to read, even if we not always agreed on everything, and that's how I prefer it.  ;)

#33 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 13:28

I like SV but he really needs a new celebration when he wins or gets poles(which he's gonna get plenty of this year).The Number 1 finger thing and contorted face makes him look silly IMO.

#34 Raincoat

Raincoat

• 775 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 13:54

I like SV but he really needs a new celebration when he wins or gets poles(which he's gonna get plenty of this year).The Number 1 finger thing and contorted face makes him look silly IMO.

Who says he is really celebrating? He just does not want to stick the middle finger out ;)

#35 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 13:56

He did a fab job today. That quali lap was an absolute stonking lap.

#36 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 14:36

He did again that Q-Seb thing - being fastest when it mattered. :up:

H2H

#37 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 14:49

I don't think he is generally is a popular driver like Hamilton, Schumacher, Alonso, who just happen to wear the pride of the win in the celebrations, and I think the one finger thing is just him trying to be something more then he actualy is for people, he's not that personality. not everyone is as comfortable in the limelight, he's not that's destinctive enough, more of a college boy with lots of books to read who won student of the month award celebration and is smug about it, that's not his fault, not everyone is made to be the star the sport needs. I think if Mark Webber had Vettel's results, you would have a bigger star, as Webber is like a western hero John Wayne f1 type driver, reasonable ideals, trying to save Australia through his laptimes etc. :smoking: :smoking: ):

Edited by SeanValen, 27 March 2010 - 14:54.

#38 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 15:57

Good job by Sebastian. :up:

#39 Redback

Redback

• 1,283 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 00:14

He did a fab job today. That quali lap was an absolute stonking lap.

It was great to watch wasn't it?

More entertainment in that one lap than in the whole Bahrain Grand prix!

Advertisement

#40 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:01

http://www.oddscheck...rs-championship

Seb is creeping up on Alonso with the British bookies.

And to think, I got him at 6/1 :D

#41 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:03

If I were a bookie I'd stop taking bets on Vettel. The championship is his for the taking.

Edited by rhukkas, 28 March 2010 - 01:04.

#42 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:56

Oh my; Sebi has beached. We had advert. when this has occured, thus I have no clue what exactly went down. A day to forget.

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:04

Brake failure he had to stop. Shame. One day his car will make it to the end of the race, I just know it! lol.

#44 merschu

merschu

• 521 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:13

Seb has become the new Kimi with all the bad luck! No matter how well he does his car just gives up!

#45 markshen

markshen

• 305 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:09

The youngest WDC, you may win in next race :rotfl:

#46 rye&ginger

rye&ginger

• 231 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:29

Seb = Kimi pre-Ferrari

Talent out the ass but stuck with a car as reliable as a a Dodge.

#47 Raincoat

Raincoat

• 775 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:37

Seb = Kimi pre-Ferrari

Talent out the ass but stuck with a car as reliable as a a Dodge.

Everyone blames the car but why is Webber not having faults with his car? Kimi...oops Vettel is a car breaker. Newy has his work cut out. :rotfl:

#48 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,318 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:46

SebVet had a very mature response to his car failure considering he should really be 50 points in the WDC, will make it interesting later in the year I think.

Why do some McLaren fans act like children most of the time?

#49 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:47

Why do some McLaren fans act like children most of the time?

Can you please point out the mclaren fans acting up in this thread I can't see them?

#50 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 14:55

It looks like that Seb is not the only one who has to be strong, because his true fans are suffering like hell as well. :)