Photo

Where would you sit at Silverstone?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,673 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 14:49

I've been the last three years and sat in Copse E and the Pit Straight stands. Both are nice but I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

Advertisement

#2 RedBullLee

RedBullLee

• 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 16:35

I've been the last three years and sat in Copse E and the Pit Straight stands. Both are nice but I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

For Raceday, I've always had seats at either Stowe or Club. Of the two, Club is the better since they changed Stowe a few years back. I've tried other points for Qualifying and Practice, and to be honest the only other place I would consider is Vale, which gave a good view of both Stowe and Club.

That said, with the circuit changes this year, some of the new stands might prove good too.

#3 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,673 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 16:52

Thanks!

#4 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 17:53

For Raceday, I've always had seats at either Stowe or Club. Of the two, Club is the better since they changed Stowe a few years back. I've tried other points for Qualifying and Practice, and to be honest the only other place I would consider is Vale, which gave a good view of both Stowe and Club.

That said, with the circuit changes this year, some of the new stands might prove good too.

Completely agree. Stowe or Club for me too. Abbey's not so bad either.

Anything but Copse! Two years ago I had already bought tickets for Farm, but then won a competition to win seats for Copse B. Wish I hadn't sold my tickets to a mate, because it was a rubbish viewpoint and only a brief glimpse of any action.

#5 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 16:10

Becketts now seems to be the best location.

#6 jonfev

jonfev

• 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 22:10

I've only got general admission tickets and I've just received them. The latest map included with them shows that about a third of such viewing areas have gone, compared with previous years. I am really concerned that there are going to be an awful lot of people who won't see very much. The main loss is the banking between club and abbey. This has been bulldozed so the run off area can be increased and presumably to create a flat pad to build stands on when the new pits complex is built. The area at Stowe has been reprofiled and made a bit bigger but as it's new this will be a sea of mud if it rains. If you are hoping to view from the 'exciting' new arena loop.....fat chance. There are just two grandstands and that's your lot. So a huge new piece of track that you can only see on TV, what a lost opportunity. No Red Arrows on Sunday either. Despite all this I will enjoy myself, just not as much as in previous years.

Edited by jonfev, 17 June 2010 - 22:11.

#7 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:28

They still mention the Red Arrows on the Silverstone web site... the timetables with the tickets often miss things out in my experience.

I've just realised that our seats are going to be overlooking an expanse of run-off at Luffield. Had better make sure we take binoculars! I will be using this year to check out as many of the stands as possible, ready for future visits.

#8 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 16:30

They still mention the Red Arrows on the Silverstone web site...

Friday

#9 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 18:01

I've only got general admission tickets and I've just received them. The latest map included with them shows that about a third of such viewing areas have gone, compared with previous years. I am really concerned that there are going to be an awful lot of people who won't see very much. The main loss is the banking between club and abbey. This has been bulldozed so the run off area can be increased and presumably to create a flat pad to build stands on when the new pits complex is built. The area at Stowe has been reprofiled and made a bit bigger but as it's new this will be a sea of mud if it rains. If you are hoping to view from the 'exciting' new arena loop.....fat chance. There are just two grandstands and that's your lot. So a huge new piece of track that you can only see on TV, what a lost opportunity. No Red Arrows on Sunday either. Despite all this I will enjoy myself, just not as much as in previous years.

Was at Silverstone today for the MotoGP. They've resurrected some of the embankment between Club and Abbey (more towards Abbey though), but what they have gone and done is made a massive area available between Stowe and Club, which also had a large TV screen opposite the track.

Right what you say though, if it rains it'll be an absolute mudfest.

The grandstand at Becketts now seems the best place to sit.

#10 jonfev

jonfev

• 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 17:34

They still mention the Red Arrows on the Silverstone web site... the timetables with the tickets often miss things out in my experience.

I've just realised that our seats are going to be overlooking an expanse of run-off at Luffield. Had better make sure we take binoculars! I will be using this year to check out as many of the stands as possible, ready for future visits.

According to the timetable sent with the tickets the red arrows are there on Friday. On the important day we've just got a parachute display, I'll try to contain my excitement!
I remember Brands Hatch when we had a harrier, concorde and my favourite, a tornado that scared the hell out of me when it appeared out of nowhere going very fast and very low!

Edited by jonfev, 20 June 2010 - 20:15.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 15:44

Completely agree. Stowe or Club for me too. Abbey's not so bad either.

Anything but Copse! Two years ago I had already bought tickets for Farm, but then won a competition to win seats for Copse B. Wish I hadn't sold my tickets to a mate, because it was a rubbish viewpoint and only a brief glimpse of any action.

Considering how poor the view is from Copse they charge a hell of a lot to sit there.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 15:44

Becketts now seems to be the best location.

I think they have raised the price this year to reflect it.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 15:47

According to the timetable sent with the tickets the red arrows are there on Friday. On the important day we've just got a parachute display, I'll try to contain my excitement!
I remember Brands Hatch when we had a harrier, concorde and my favourite, a tornado that scared the hell out of me when it appeared out of nowhere going very fast and very low!

Fingers crossed that that is wrong. The Para display is usually on the friday and not exactly exciting, especially if your on the far side of the circuit from the landing zone..

#14 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 20:43

Considering how poor the view is from Copse they charge a hell of a lot to sit there.

It's because people have high expectations of what they'll see. Much like same people who fork out a shed load for seats opposite the pit lane, and for what? A glimpse of the podium? Cor!

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 21:02

It's because people have high expectations of what they'll see. Much like same people who fork out a shed load for seats opposite the pit lane, and for what? A glimpse of the podium? Cor!

My missus got me tickets as a present many years ago on the pit straight. No way could I tell her what crap place it was to watch the race. Have been in either Club or Stowe ever since. Will be interesting to see the differences this year.

#16 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 21:09

My missus got me tickets as a present many years ago on the pit straight. No way could I tell her what crap place it was to watch the race. Have been in either Club or Stowe ever since. Will be interesting to see the differences this year.

Things you do for love, eh?

My new favourite area is the infield opposite Vale. That's if it's open to us plebs when the F1 comes to town.

Was brilliant watching the MotoGP from there, without some over-sized fencing in the way, and it offered ample viewing time as well. Would happily trade in my grandstand ticket for a place there (though don't hold me to that!).

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 22:06

Things you do for love, eh?

My new favourite area is the infield opposite Vale. That's if it's open to us plebs when the F1 comes to town.

Was brilliant watching the MotoGP from there, without some over-sized fencing in the way, and it offered ample viewing time as well. Would happily trade in my grandstand ticket for a place there (though don't hold me to that!).

I want to take a look at the infield, but suspect it will be ticket holders only for the GP. Also want to check out Becketts and Luffield.

#18 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:36

The old covered part of the pitlane stand was a great place to sit for the race build-up. Watching the cars assemble on the grid and seeing which uninterested celebrity tart has been invited along to which team to watch from a position that most members here would sell their grandmother for was at least a guarantee of something to look at. Even at the far end where the old bridge blocked the view of anything actually in the pitlane, you were at least treated to the last efforts of all the drivers to warm up their tyres before the start, which is an awesome display - but the prices should have reflected the complete lack of anything to see for the remainder of the weekend there!

I think the stands at Becketts look like they have a lot of potential this year and will be keen to see if the Arena stands are any good. With the new pit complex presumably ready for next year, they could offer some good views. I am a but concerned that access to the new section of track is going to be really tight, keeping all of the delays of that pedestrian tunnel at Bridge while adding a further few thousands of people wanting to take a look at it.

#19 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:43

http://www.raf.mod.u...isplaydates.cfm

That site seems to be at odds with the calendar sent with the tickets. I'd actually prefer it to be the Friday for a change, as we're taking our little boy on the Friday and he'd be far more interested to see the planes than trying to spot a few blokes with parachutes!

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 13:34

When I went to the 1000 kms at Silverstone last weekend I rather enjoyed spending the afternoon walking round the circuit and catching a glimpse of the action from a variety of Vantage points with the changes to the track the higher seats at Stow and Club will probably represent amazing value for money with a good mile or two of the new track in view :-)

As everybody else has noted do not bother with seats between Woodcote and Copse, unless you get a kick out of watching paint dry :rotfl:

I guess Clatter now knows why they were giving the Copse tickets away :-)

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 20:27

That site seems to be at odds with the calendar sent with the tickets. I'd actually prefer it to be the Friday for a change, as we're taking our little boy on the Friday and he'd be far more interested to see the planes than trying to spot a few blokes with parachutes!

I would put my faith in the RAF dates rather than the printed timetable. If you happen to be in one of the covered stands you only get to see about the last 20 feet of their jump, and they have been cancelled a few times due to the weather.

#22 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 20:32

When I went to the 1000 kms at Silverstone last weekend I rather enjoyed spending the afternoon walking round the circuit and catching a glimpse of the action from a variety of Vantage points with the changes to the track the higher seats at Stow and Club will probably represent amazing value for money with a good mile or two of the new track in view :-)

As everybody else has noted do not bother with seats between Woodcote and Copse, unless you get a kick out of watching paint dry :rotfl:

I guess Clatter now knows why they were giving the Copse tickets away :-)

Stowe has always been good value, but your right about getting the higher seats. It's annoying that when booking you can only choose the stand and it's pot luck where you will actually sit.

I don't think I would want to sit at Copse for the race even if the tickets were free, rather get in early and get a GA position in a more advantageous spot.

#23 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 14:15

My tickets arrived today :)
For the last few times I've been in Luffield, but this year I've gone back to Stowe.
I was able to choose my seats, high up, but you have to book early.
With the new layout Becketts could be the best place next year, we'll have to wait and see.
I'm really looking forward to this years race it should be a cracker :up:

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 23:02

The timetable is now up on the Silverstone website and shows the Red Arrows on Sunday.
http://silverstone.c...sh-Grand-Prix1/

#25 AlanK

AlanK

• 105 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:19

does anyone know who the band are at the after race party?

#26 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:49

The timetable is now up on the Silverstone website and shows the Red Arrows on Sunday.
http://silverstone.c...sh-Grand-Prix1/

The really big news in that page is the booking at 7:05pm on Saturday at the Copse E-zone. Somehow I think we will have left for the day before the end of the GP2 race!

The times for Saturday look wrong actually, but either way, they can't be as wrong as a performance by Chico.

Doesn't the timetable sent out with the tickets talk about FP1 starting at 9am too? I'd worked out that we were going to need to be on the road at about 5am, allowing thirty minutes for traffic and another thirty minutes to wander around to a satisfactory place to watch.

#27 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:02

The really big news in that page is the booking at 7:05pm on Saturday at the Copse E-zone. Somehow I think we will have left for the day before the end of the GP2 race!

The times for Saturday look wrong actually, but either way, they can't be as wrong as a performance by Chico.

Doesn't the timetable sent out with the tickets talk about FP1 starting at 9am too? I'd worked out that we were going to need to be on the road at about 5am, allowing thirty minutes for traffic and another thirty minutes to wander around to a satisfactory place to watch.

FP1 is between 10:00 and 11:30 on Friday morning.

Can't wait to see Chico...

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:08

Chico and Jamie Archer, E-zone is going to be buzzing. :lol:

#29 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:18

Chico and Jamie Archer, E-zone is going to be buzzing. :lol:

I had to google Archer. I must have been able to hide the remote control for the entire duration of that series of X-factor as I don't think I've ever seen him perform. That claim will also be true on 12 July.

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 18:18

I had to google Archer. I must have been able to hide the remote control for the entire duration of that series of X-factor as I don't think I've ever seen him perform. That claim will also be true on 12 July.

Well I will admit to having seen him and he was pretty good in the auditions. I won't be making a special effort, but if I'm there at the right (or wrong) time and the atmosphere is good I will give it a go regardless of who is on stage.