Photo

Juan Pablo Montoya's future in NASCAR

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:23

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, however, I watch the odd race and usually check the results after each race to see how JPM did.

I'd really like to see him win a few races, but so far this season he appears to be having mediocre results.

I think it could also be argued that so far his NASCAR career has been somewhat mediocre.

What's your opinion? Do you feel great results lie ahead for him in NASCAR?

Advertisement

#2 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:40

He's lead a fair few laps this year if I'm not mistaken....

I did expect a bit more of him at this point though. I'm sure someone with far better knowledge of NASCAR will explain his situation in greater detail.

#3 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:50

I would love to see him back in F1, but I think he's already said that he has been offered a drive a few times and turned down the opportunity.

#4 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:56

It wasn't until last year that he really overcame the open wheel to stock car learning curve. He's gotten loads better. I know a lot of his F1 fans always expect him to win and run up front from the get go but it doesn't work like that. This year he's ran well but he's had a string of bad luck with crashes, part failures, and just crummy luck. I think its getting to him now because he's been getting real violent towards his crew over the radio. It's just one of those unlucky seasons though.

#5 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:20

You don't have to win anything to retain a driving seat in NASCAR. His NASCAR career is definitely worse than his time in F1, but as long as sponsors and NASCAR are happy to have him around as a token driver, he'll continue to make a living.

I do not expect him to win the championship or more than the odd race, ever.

Edited by primer, 16 June 2010 - 05:24.

#6 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:12

I thnk perhaps put him in a Hendricks car and see how he goes

#7 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:19

Beat me to it... :)

#8 Vids21

Vids21

• 84 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:37

First of all you shouldn't judge on just results you read in some articles.

Montoya's season has actually been quite a roller-coaster. He looks to be better then last season. Only he has a huge string of bad luck this season. I more than half of the races he has been in he has crashed our had some other mechanical failure which wasn't his fault. Just look at the results he has had this season so far:

10, 37, 37, 3, 26, 36, 5, 34, 3, 6, 5, 35, 38, 8, 13

In the races he did finish without bad luck he almost always (except for last race) got a top 10 (even 4 top 5's compared to last season 6 in the whole season) finish. Just look at the amount of 30+ finishes, that's what killing his season so far. And the sad thing is that most of the crashes he has been involved in wasn't even his fault.

Luckily Montoya got a very loyal team boss who can look trough those results and sees that he just needs some more luck to turn this season. Don't know if he will be able to get into the chase again after some very bad finishes in the beginning of the season. But I think he might be able to fight for at least some wins this season.

#9 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:00

It's a shame, he could have been great (maybe even an all time great) in Formula One - the world's most prestigious and richest sport - if he kept his head and temper in check.

Instead he's an also ran in a sport than nobody outside of America really cares about.

A real shame and a massive waste of talent. The sport needs and needed more maverick characters like him.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 16 June 2010 - 09:01.

#10 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:43

It's a shame, he could have been great (maybe even an all time great) in Formula One - the world's most prestigious and richest sport - if he kept his head and temper in check.

Instead he's an also ran in a sport than nobody outside of America really cares about.

A real shame and a massive waste of talent. The sport needs and needed more maverick characters like him.

Could be wrong, but I had the impression Montoya wasn't all that impressed with that (bolded).

He was a couple of eras too late. Would have been fun to see him mixing it up with likes of James Hunt, Jody Scheckter, Niki Lauda in the '70s.

#11 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,741 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:15

There is a silly attitude that if a driver doesn't race in F1 that they are either stupid or lack talent. There is also some people who seem to get ******** that anyone would leave the series they love. Well, it isn't about you, only your mother thinks it's all about you. He didn't leave F1 because he couldn't find a ride, he left because he hated it. He came to work everyday wishing he was somewhere else. Luckily for him he had what you call 'F*&% You' money. Now he gets to race in a series he enjoys and he seems happy.

#12 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:10

I'll discount the ignorant F-1 uber alles comments and stick to the original posters question.

I too expected much this year, I wouldn't stick him in the also ran column quite yet as a NASCAR driver.
There is no doubt in my mind, and also no doubt in the Paddock, that he has the talent to run in the top five in every race, however
luck and his team have just not been kind to him this year.
Put him in one of the top echelon teams in NASCAR and he would definitely have a shot at a championship.
A serious look at the past history of Ganassi's NASCAR operation will show that they are the perennial also rans.
Juan shows a great degree of loyalty to Ganassi, and has provided Ganassi with the best results he's ever had in NASCAR, and will continue
to do so, to his detriment. Not being a fan boy here, just sayin' if JPM ever jumps (jumped) ship to a Hendrick or Gibbs operation,
you would be seeing a whole different stat sheet than he's been putting up this year.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 16 June 2010 - 13:10.

#13 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:44

This is Montoyas best season ever in NASCAR. Together with the whole team, they have managed to move the previous midfield Ganassi team into proper regular top-5 contenders this season. They've turned up and been fast at every track this year. Results doesn't show this though, because there's been some hard luck this season but speed wise and on consistency it's much better than last year and then they made the chase ...

I'd say Montoya has established himself well in NASCAR and is up there able to bring the game to the top contenders and teams. There's still much to do and much to learn but I think he's made a great adjustement to NASCAR and as things are going, is well placed to be both a multiple race winner and championship contender.

Montoya has worked great with Ganassi and they have gone from also-rans in NASCAR midfield to a serious established team knocking on the door, or biting at the heels, of teams like Joe Gibbs, Rousch, Hendrics and RCR since he joined the team. And there I forgot Stewart-Haas who through Hendrick should probably be included there.

As far as Montoya on his own goes I think much indicates that would he leave Ganassi he would have no problems getting a ride in one of the top teams. I would suspect a team-up with Tony Stewart would be both attractive and fiery. But he seems to be so loyal to Ganassi that it's hard to imagine him leaving the team unless their budget falls to the point of not being able to field a car.

Montoyas transistion to NASCAR has been a very succesful one I think, and very impressive considering his background and previous experience. To go from single-seaters and road courses to NASCAR and oval and getting a grip on it so fast is quite an achievement.

#14 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 14:50

The best is still to come from JPM, question has to be can he get lined up with top equipment and a top team to make a championship challenge ?

I think he can and will, but I am completely unsure of the details :-)

#15 Race Aficionado

Race Aficionado

• 58 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 15:40

I'm a big JPM fan and have followed his transition to NASCAR from F1.

It is frustrating to see how he can't make it because of the equipment or bad luck.
He has been close a couple of times though which means that his equipment is getting better but it is still not up to par with the "big guys".
He has also learned the tricks of the trade in NASCAR and continues to show why he is one of the best overall racers in the planet.

As for F1 - if it's true that he did get offers from Red Bull a while back? - can you imagine what he would be doing now in those cars???

Just wondering . . . . . .

and as a fan, I see Juan and his wife very happy with their new lifestyle and that's the bottom line.

Go Juan!!!!!

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,023 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:31

Personally I've been much more impressed with Montoya's NASCAR career than the stock car careers of Kevin Schwantz and Ricky Carmichael. Joe Weatherly they weren't. :lol:

Still feels weird to see Montoya in NASCAR, but he's having a decent shot, and not just as a road course ringer, either.

#17 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:38

his talent is completely wasted in Nascar imho

#18 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:42

Never liked Montoya and quite frankly i hope he stays in NASCAR as an average driver, that's where he belongs and that's the role he is supposed to play :p

#19 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:47

i can't see him in f1 again :well: he'd never fit in the cars for a start!

Advertisement

#20 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:06

What's your opinion? Do you feel great results lie ahead for him in NASCAR?

No. This is essentially a retirement job for him. IMO, from listening to his radio every single week, he lacks the killer instinct and drive needed to win a championship.

He does have the talent, level head, racecraft, and calculation to consistently deliver top results, but once you reach a certain elite level in any sport, it's down to who wants it more and Montoya wouldn't put everything on the line the way guys like Denny Hamlin will.

This is all IMO, I'd love to be proven wrong and I will continue to watch and listen every week in hopes of just that.

#21 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:14

No. This is essentially a retirement job for him. IMO, from listening to his radio every single week, he lacks the killer instinct and drive needed to win a championship.

He does have the talent, level head, racecraft, and calculation to consistently deliver top results, but once you reach a certain elite level in any sport, it's down to who wants it more and Montoya wouldn't put everything on the line the way guys like Denny Hamlin will.

This is all IMO, I'd love to be proven wrong and I will continue to watch and listen every week in hopes of just that.

This is how I pretty much see it too. Juan is happy to be in family friendly NASCAR. He is extremely loyal to Chip and makes good money... probably (w/ endorsements as much or more as he would in F1). If he really wanted a championship he'd already be banging on Hendrick or other top team doors and theres no rumors at all of this. JPM will likely be happy to pick up a few oval wins and retire imo. Hope I'm wrong but I see exactly what OLB mentions about wanting it the most.

#22 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:24

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Montoya in retirement mode is 98% as good as the best of the NASCAR cutthroats is a huge testament to his talent, but like someone else said, he has Eff You money so he can do what he wants, and what he wants is to have fun. Not cut off his right testicle for that extra 2%.

#23 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:25

I agree with the previous few posts about him, however he seems to be on the pace race after race and with Nascar winning does take alota luck because of how close it can be.

Last season he got into the chase and was super quick just made mistakes, him and the team. I think in a similar situation he would be hard to rule out. Her wont be a multiple champion but id be supprised if he was a strong contender over the next few years. The guy is special. Too special for F1 ;-)!

#24 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:34

Well he's only been in the series 3+ years full time, he is incredibly talented (for sure). Juan still makes mistakes and his pit crew hurts him almost every single race. What has impressed me the most from JPM is his patience... I didn't really expect that. I wouldn't bet against him winning one championship before he hangs his boots up...

#25 John B

John B

• 7,964 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 20:11

If we're talking championships as a measuring point then it's a question of whether he finds his way into a Hendrick, Gibbs, or Roush if they ever get it turned around ride. As Whitewater and Luckystrike mention the #42 has been a perenial 15th place in points car, though it had a few moments with Mears, McMurray et al. It has been in the spotlight much more consistently over the last year with JPM, and my guess is we're one pit road penalty at last year's Brickyard from this not being a discussion.

What I'd honestly rate as a surprise is that he hasn't been more of a force in the road course races since winning the Nationwide Mexico and Cup Sonoma (more strategy than speed in the latter). I think to some degree that reflects teams and drivers taking road courses more seriously, especially since they are 2 of the 26 pre-Chase races. Kahne's win last year may have represented this.

It'll be interesting to see if McMurray can keep delivering results for the team or fades after several very good (two of which were admittedly plate tracks) races.

Edited by John B, 16 June 2010 - 20:12.

#26 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 20:37

There is a silly attitude that if a driver doesn't race in F1 that they are either stupid or lack talent. There is also some people who seem to get ******** that anyone would leave the series they love. Well, it isn't about you, only your mother thinks it's all about you. He didn't leave F1 because he couldn't find a ride, he left because he hated it. He came to work everyday wishing he was somewhere else. Luckily for him he had what you call 'F*&% You' money. Now he gets to race in a series he enjoys and he seems happy.

I don't think people (especially the poster you quoted) thinks that F1 is the end all and be all, he, suggests, and I agree, that NASCAR is a waste of time and there's very little relevance outside of America. There are other series, rally for example, that are great but driving in circles might test how a driver can cope with dizziness but not a lot else. All joking aside, Montoya could have been great in F1 but things just didn't happen, his talent is most certainly wasted in NASCAR, a series with mediocre drivers and with little or no relevance outside of the US.

#27 P123

P123

• 23,977 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 20:44

Given the lack of success of the majority of other single seater converts (just going round in circles, eh?) and the team he is in at present I'd say he is doing very well. When he's not having some terrible luck he's usually a dependable top 10 finisher.

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 21:16

One of my big problems with oval racing is that no amount of driving talent can overcome your car's shortcomings. We've seen that at road courses, good drivers can make a difference, and take an inferior car much higher than it probably should be, but on an oval, its less about driving talent, and more about reading the car, making adjustments and hoping to hell that the cards fall in your favor. I realize there's skill in this, but its not the sort of skill I'm interested in too much. Montoya has an uphill battle if he ever wants to actually make a dent in this series.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 June 2010 - 21:17.

#29 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 21:55

I think if one looks at all the other drivers who tried to go from Open Wheelers to NASCAR, JPM's switch seems to be one of the few succesful stories.

I dont know how often this year JPM had a Top10 car just to have some bad luck, a crash not of his own fault or a mechanical failure drop him out.

If oyu look at all the races that he ran well until bad luck happens... he could very well be among the Top 8 now in the standings.

Results dont show this but the 42# is even better then last year. Although it might be to late to make a difference this year.

Even though JPMs switch to NASCAR made me a NASCAR Fan and follower of every race, and its a good racing series (with some problems) and it has been fun to watch, I think its still a little bit sad that we saw JPM only for this brief time in Formula 1. I t would have been very interesting to see how his career would have gone on in F1, especially when the car he was driving became the best car in the following year.

#30 ausf1webber

ausf1webber

• 178 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 22:06

One of my big problems with oval racing is that no amount of driving talent can overcome your car's shortcomings. We've seen that at road courses, good drivers can make a difference, and take an inferior car much higher than it probably should be, but on an oval, its less about driving talent, and more about reading the car, making adjustments and hoping to hell that the cards fall in your favor. I realize there's skill in this, but its not the sort of skill I'm interested in too much. Montoya has an uphill battle if he ever wants to actually make a dent in this series.

To back up what you have just written Danica and company are very ordinary on circuits. Another point is while Montoya might like to bag F1 he would not have the money or profile without F1 so no NASCAR ride especially a relaxed no pressure ride. Like KR I do not think they like to be pushed (pressure) on a daily basis

#31 P123

P123

• 23,977 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 22:09

Another point is while Montoya might like to bag F1 he would not have the money or profile without F1 so no NASCAR ride

F1 didn't get Montoya a drive in NASCAR, his relationship with Chip Ganassi did.

#32 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 22:22

This is Montoya's best season and worst season at the same time. On pace, more often than not he's a legitimate contender, whereas in the past, he was never really there except for a few races. By results, however, this season has been nothing short of atrocious. He's just had an incredibly bad run of luck, starting with the second half of the Chase last year. There is about a 25% chance for him to convert good performance into a good finish, and I imagine that it has to be incredibly frustrating for everybody involved.

#33 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 16 June 2010 - 22:32

Exactly. His team is a joke. He always falls behind during races, either due to bad pit stops, or because they can't adjust the car to the conditions.

#34 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 00:24

F1 didn't get Montoya a drive in NASCAR, his relationship with Chip Ganassi did.

Well said.

Does anyone think there would come a point where JPM might consider switching teams? Or does he simply feel he owes Chip too much?

#35 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:47

Well said.

Does anyone think there would come a point where JPM might consider switching teams? Or does he simply feel he owes Chip too much?

That's the big question to me.
That's part of the 2% solution, as OLB so ably put it.
He's fat and happy as it is, he can drive at Ganassi for at least 8 years w/ fat checks, maybe even 10.
So he makes 2 million less a year than if he was F-1. In return, the family is welcome, anytime, anywhere. He lives in one place and is home every week, and by all apearances his family comes first, so that's huge. He has all the toys anyone could ever want, and the staff to maintain them, planes, remote and real, boats and decks. A very short haul for him to go hang in Columbia
The best thing of all is, for a racer, and there is no doubt the consensus here so far, is that Juan loves to race and knows how to, Juan gets to race 30+ times a year with some dead serious racers, US based or not.
Juan is a racer, and he gets to race the **** of of some damn good race cars.
It has to be tough to dig out that extra 2% he needs to put out to go after a Hendricks ride, and getting back the ruthlessness that young guns like Hamlin, Keselowski and Logano will be bringing down until they get the comfy seat that JPM has now.
JPM is not the only one that can't dig out that 2%, I give you J Gordon , Earnhardt, and Mark Martin as examples, they also are fat and happy and will never need. There's three drivers who will never win a championship again, and all of them are sitting in rides that JPM, just on talent, would do better with.
Oh, well, I understand it, I just hope when he sees it's notgonnahappen.com, he goes out gracefully.
Hey, Kimi went rallying, JPM went NASCAR, I'm enjoying following both of them post F-1.
It's sad to see Schumacher struggling, and it was sad to see Jacques at the end.
When you walk away from F-1, it's better to mean it. Juan maybe walked too early, in some peoples opinion, but at least when he did walk, he meant it.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 17 June 2010 - 01:51.

#36 loki

loki

• 12,376 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:32

JPM is not the only one that can't dig out that 2%, I give you J Gordon , Earnhardt, and Mark Martin as examples, they also are fat and happy and will never need. There's three drivers who will never win a championship again, and all of them are sitting in rides that JPM, just on talent, would do better with.

You mean 4 time champion Jeff Gordon with 82 career Cup wins? ;) Martin is 50 and lucky to be racing as well as he is and Jr lost the fire long ago. And all three have something Montoya doesn't. Intense sponsor appeal. And multiple circle track wins. They are all better stock car drivers at this point.

#37 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:33

actualy, right now i think joe gibbs is the best place to be. hendrick havent been as strong as they where, mark martin has been real quiet

#38 ausf1webber

ausf1webber

• 178 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:48

And where did this relationship start? Are you suggesting that the sponsors would be happy to have anymate of CG drive the car regardless of ability? Where did he make his initial money that allowed him to take a chance on NASCAR regardless of outcome? NASCAR = taxi cab racing real race cars do not have roofs regardless of the spectator appeal no matter what the US thinks

Edited by ausf1webber, 17 June 2010 - 02:51.

#39 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:05

They are all better stock car drivers at this point.

And all are on the downstroke, while JPM is new to the sport.
And I'm sorry, I never have seen an innate talent for racing from Lil' E that I've seen from Montoya, Gordon or Martin.
Martin is equal to JPM ATM, solely due to his equipment.

Advertisement

#40 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:07

And where did this relationship start?

In CART, when Frank Williams farmed a young talent out to Ganassi for some seasoning.

#41 loki

loki

• 12,376 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:24

And all are on the downstroke, while JPM is new to the sport.
And I'm sorry, I never have seen an innate talent for racing from Lil' E that I've seen from Montoya, Gordon or Martin.
Martin is equal to JPM ATM, solely due to his equipment.

And they all consistently beat him every single season. It's taken him the requisite 3 years to get a handle on the taxis but stats don't lie and in his 5th season he's consistently mid pack though he has had some good finishes this year. All of those guys are still better stock car drivers than Montoya. I think he's as good as he's going to get.

#42 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:00

And they all consistently beat him every single season. It's taken him the requisite 3 years to get a handle on the taxis but stats don't lie and in his 5th season he's consistently mid pack though he has had some good finishes this year. All of those guys are still better stock car drivers than Montoya. I think he's as good as he's going to get.

Since 2005, Earnhardt has a whopping total of 3 wins.
:rolleyes:
Since 2007, when JPM came in, 1 win, and came in 25th last year with arguably the best team in NASCAR. Sorry, can't buy that better than JPM.
Since 2005, Martin has 6 wins, 5 of them last year, again, in the best team.
Since 2005, Gordon has had 13 wins, in the last two years, only 1.
Since 2005 there have been 180 races, and in all of those races, all three drivers have had vastly superior equipment to what JPM has been provided with in his NASCAR career.
damn, I hate sounding like a fanboy, but hey the stats speak for themselves.

#43 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:01

er its his 4th season right now. so about 3.5 seasons ;)
http://en.wikipedia....oya#2006_season

#44 loki

loki

• 12,376 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:57

Montoya's first Cup race was the Ford 400 in 2006. He's been in 5 seasons though only one race of the first season. Those guys have won more, qualify better and generally finish better than Montoya. Right now all of those guys are ahead in the points. And three of them are in the top 12 with on e knocking on the door. He did beat Jr last year but in all the other years all of those drivers finished better. Last year he had a great run but it looks like the wheels have come off this year. They've got Childress engines and DEI chassis which are plenty good enough to win and it's the same stuff they were able to get several top 5s in the Chase last year. His teammate isn't exactly setting the world on fire and is beating him. This isn't F1. It's more about the driver and how the driver can relate the setup of the car. There is no data, on purpose, it's all seat of the pants. He's argumentative, impatient and is easily frustrated. That's not going to win races let alone championships.

#45 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:27

What F1 has become in recent years is what Nascar has been all along. The cars are so close, there are so many of them (who can win or be competitive). You have to get everything right. Pace alone doesn't do it.

F1 a few years ago, people like Alonso, Schumacher, even Massa seemed above the rest. But they were only racing 2 or 3 other cars assuming they had a good start. They could have a drive thru but still finish on the podium.

When the competition is closer, everything needs to be perfect. The margins are so small. So much harder to be dominant. Nascar has 20 or more drivers capable of delivering. It's very tough. The more drivers the tougher it gets. There is 40 or so isn't there?

Montoya took a while to learn the ropes and the switch to Nascar shouldn't be underestimated. Knowing F1 doesn't help you at all, it's a seperate beast. He learned, he improved and last season was quite good.

Unfortunately he has slipped back this season. I don't know why, I don't follow it closely enough. But it's very tough competition. Harder then F1 in many respects.

Alot of people likes to think that if you can win races in F1, you can walk into any other series and win there too. It doesn't work like that, although I do think F1 is the pinnacle. It's just that F1 success isn't automatically transferable to other types of racing. They have their own skillsets and their own tricks of the trade.

ausf1webber - V8 Supercars, DTM, Nascar, FIA GT's, WRC. These are all valid types of racing. :well: The racing is usually better in these series too. In my opinion those are better for racing, while open wheelers are better for watching onboard and appreciating the speed they carry through corners. Of course there are great open wheel races, and boring tintop races but talking on average..

Edited by HoldenRT, 17 June 2010 - 07:29.

#46 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:07

He enjoys the bad luck, inferior equipment and poor results? At least in Formula One he was relevant, capable of winning and had a reputation. Instead, like I said earlier, he's an also ran in a sport nobody cares about.

Goodbye Formula One.

Hello NASCAR and poor results.

If anything, it has damaged the credibility of Formula One. The drivers are supposed to be the best in the world and if the likes of Montoya can't tame a saloon car (I exaggerate a little) going around a circle, what does that say about F1 and its drivers? Overpaid and over-nannied playboys? That's what a casual observer will think....

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 17 June 2010 - 09:10.

#47 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:43

In CART, when Frank Williams farmed a young talent out to Ganassi for some seasoning.

And he sure made a huge impression in CART 1999. That was fun to watch.

#48 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:19

He enjoys the bad luck, inferior equipment and poor results? At least in Formula One he was relevant, capable of winning and had a reputation. Instead, like I said earlier, he's an also ran in a sport nobody cares about.

Goodbye Formula One.

Hello NASCAR and poor results.

If anything, it has damaged the credibility of Formula One. The drivers are supposed to be the best in the world and if the likes of Montoya can't tame a saloon car (I exaggerate a little) going around a circle, what does that say about F1 and its drivers? Overpaid and over-nannied playboys? That's what a casual observer will think....

I think we understand you don't like NASCAR. It is also pretty obvious you have taken it personally that Montoya left the only racing series anyone cares about (translation: The only racing series Ferrari_F1_fan_2001 cares about).

He left F1 because he hated it. He's said he hated it. Now he races in a series he likes for an owner he likes. It is hard for you to understand this why? He is happier, his family is happier, he makes a lot of money, he races in front of a ton of people (more than attend F1 btw).

I also love the provincialism on display! I thought we Americans had that market cornered, good to see that's not true! Ask Clark, Hill, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Piguet, and on and on if they think 'going in a circle' is as easy as you make it out to be. Ask any current F1 driver if they think NASCAR and the drivers are a joke. I bet they aren't as close minded as you seem to be.

Don't you think you're being a bit of a drama queen when you talk about F1 being damaged? I'd worry more about cheaters trying to fix races and dull races where the only passing is done by pit crews than I would about a driver leaving the series to race elsewhere.

Edited by Xpat, 17 June 2010 - 12:20.

#49 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 13:05

I think we understand you don't like NASCAR. It is also pretty obvious you have taken it personally that Montoya left the only racing series anyone cares about (translation: The only racing series Ferrari_F1_fan_2001 cares about).

He left F1 because he hated it. He's said he hated it. Now he races in a series he likes for an owner he likes. It is hard for you to understand this why? He is happier, his family is happier, he makes a lot of money, he races in front of a ton of people (more than attend F1 btw).

I also love the provincialism on display! I thought we Americans had that market cornered, good to see that's not true! Ask Clark, Hill, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Piguet, and on and on if they think 'going in a circle' is as easy as you make it out to be. Ask any current F1 driver if they think NASCAR and the drivers are a joke. I bet they aren't as close minded as you seem to be.

Don't you think you're being a bit of a drama queen when you talk about F1 being damaged? I'd worry more about cheaters trying to fix races and dull races where the only passing is done by pit crews than I would about a driver leaving the series to race elsewhere.

Quote me where Montoya said he hated Formula One please.

As for being happier? Do you honestly believe he is happier being an also ran in NASCAR? I have nothing against NASCAR, each to their own I suppose. I merely consider F1 the pinnacle of motorsports. Is that too hard to understand or does it have to mean that I hate every other form of motorsport (notably NASCAR) because I appreciate F1 more? Great logic there....

He's under less pressure maybe, but he's happier? Happier not winning, scoring consistently, happy not being in a top team? I love the positive spin you put on it. I suppose the grass (artificial it may be) really is greener on the other side of the 'pond'.

As for the drama queen theatrics, my opinion (worthless to you as it may be) has obviously got you worked up to the point where both your posts addressing me have some degree of resentment nuanced within them. If you want to believe Montoya is happy being second rate in NASCAR then fine. You believe it.

#50 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 13:31

F-1 has no difficulty damaging it's credibility all on it' own.
So, let's see, Kimi is doing a rather pedestrian job in rallying.
Shame on him for damaging F-1
Speed, Piquet and Montoya are not impressing you in NASCAR.
Shame on them for damaging F-1
You say that F-1 is the pinnacle, and that it's drivers are supposed to be the best.
But by what criteria?
Blowing cubic dollars?
An occasional pass?
Coolest paddock buses?
Biggest pit crews?
Biggest egos?
Sorry to pop your bubble, but F-1 is just one amongst many race series, the most profligate and ostentatious perhaps, but that is about it.