783 replies to this topic

#1 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:00

I don't know if there was such a thread here, but I recently read:

http://www.autoevolu...rick-23429.html

whas is your opinion about this?
Do we will have a women driver in F1 in the not-so-far future? And is that a good idea?

On one side, I clearly don't see any women driver that have the results to get into F1, but on the other hand, we have now in F1 a couple of drivers that I wouldn't be so sure if they are better than f.e. Danica Patrick. Moreover results are not the only thing thanks to which you get a seat (yes, it was a truism), and maybe the results-sponsoring-marketing value combo of some women drivers can be enough to get sooner or later a F1 seat?

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:07

we have now in F1 a couple of drivers that I wouldn't be so sure if they are better than f.e. Danica Patrick.

Everybody in F1 is several notches above Danica Patrick.

Whats a shame is that Danica STILL gets massive amounts of exposure for no damn reason. This is why unsuspecting people somehow get the idea that she's any good. I mean, Autosport had a report specifically to talk about how Danica finished 27th in a Nationwide race. Whoopty-doo!

We'll have women in F1 when there's one thats good enough. But since most women dont tend to get into motorsports in the first place, chances are we'll be waiting a while til we find a competitive one.

Edited by Seanspeed, 15 August 2010 - 14:08.

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:11

It's not a question if it's a good idea, the question is whether there's any female driver out there that's good enough.

Perhaps they should try GP2 first. Then we could talk about F1.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:26

There just aren't enough female racing drivers for the odds to give us an F1-capable driver. Yet. Bear in mind 99% of male drivers aren't good enough for F1...

But physically, it's not a problem. Maybe a woman will have to work harder in the gym to have the same level of fitness of a male the same height as her, but as physical as racing is your strength doesn't really win you the events. And we have drivers of all heights, so I don't see why a female can't keep up physically.

#5 sir jackie walker

sir jackie walker

• 622 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:57

Physically, no problem. As for the skills, no problem in general - except the small amount of girls racing in the first place. But for Danica, yes.

#6 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:00

Ideally I'd only want drivers in F1 because of their talents, and not because of the publicity that follows them. I don't care whether they are Asian, black or female, I think they should all be treated equally and not be gifted because of their race or sex. I'm Asian, and I'd hate to be given preferential treatment over a white person for no reason other than the colour of my skin. (This also reminds me to give a :up: to Force India for employing the most talented drivers available to them rather than rushing in an Indian driver for marketing).

I don't follow American racing but Patrick has usually been beaten by her team-mates right? I don't think she deserves a seat in F1. Maybe one day we will see a female driver who can be competitive in F1, and maybe we may get a female WDC one day, but at the moment the sport doesn't need a below average driver taking a seat away from someone who is capable.

#7 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:05

I don't follow American racing but Patrick has usually been beaten by her team-mates right? I don't think she deserves a seat in F1. Maybe one day we will see a female driver who can be competitive in F1, and maybe we may get a female WDC one day, but at the moment the sport doesn't need a below average driver taking a seat away from someone who is capable.

In 2008/9 Patrick finished ahead of both her team-mates in the championship - The have more podiums/wins, but she has been more consistent, but she's still not F1 material; but then, as Ross pointed out, neither are most men on the planet.

#8 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:12

Ah I apologise then, I spoke too soon without knowing the facts. If testing were not so restricted then I think she could have an F1 test to see how she can really perform but unfortunately there are no such luxuries nowadays.

#9 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:16

http://www.autoevolu...rick-23429.html

whas is your opinion about this?
Do we will have a women driver in F1 in the not-so-far future? And is that a good idea?

On one side, I clearly don't see any women driver that have the results to get into F1, but on the other hand, we have now in F1 a couple of drivers that I wouldn't be so sure if they are better than f.e. Danica Patrick. Moreover results are not the only thing thanks to which you get a seat (yes, it was a truism), and maybe the results-sponsoring-marketing value combo of some women drivers can be enough to get sooner or later a F1 seat?

Danica and Simona, I reckon. Bernie will try to have a go with both of them.

#10 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:17

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:19

Whats a shame is that Danica STILL gets massive amounts of exposure for no damn reason.

I can think of two reasons:

Posted Image

Edited by johnmhinds, 15 August 2010 - 15:19.

#12 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:30

I can't see any reason why a woman would not be able to perform at F1 level. Obviously she would have to train harder. Women aren't naturally as strong as men. I always find it really frightening how physically strong men are.

I cant see why a woman would stuggle mentally either.

The only struggle I can see is at grass roots level. It isn't something that is actively promoted to young girls. They are fed with dolls, dressing up and make-up. Not toy cars or racing games. It is society itself which causes the issue, not the fact that they are girls. There are probably some girls that are out there karting that are better than boys (at grass roots level) but they are taken less seriously than boys.

My mum used to buy me dolls and my brother matchbox cars. She wasted her money on the dolls.

#13 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:31

Me neither! After all, bearing children is no easy feat!

#14 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 15:38

I think that if Danica were to come to F1, she would be worse than her fans predict but better than her critics predict. Danica is better on ovals, but she was consistently strong in Atlantics - where it's all road/street courses - so with the proper training I think she'd be capable. She wouldn't storm the place, but if given the chance and the time, I think she could get to the point where she'd earn her seat through driving ability alone. Whether she deserves the opportunity is a different matter.

This year has been strange for Danica. She's shown herself to be reasonably strong on street courses - at Sao Paulo I believe she was in the top 10 (4th springs to mind, but if somebody could correct me I'd appreciate it) when a poor choice of staying out in the rain caught her out, she finished 7th at St Petersburg and 6th at Toronto. The road courses - which seem to have suddenly become incredibly prominent this year - just haven't worked out for her though. I wish Honda hadn't pulled out of F1 when it did - it would have been awesome to see how Danica did in the test she was due to drive in.

#15 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:12

if there was any good enough, they would/should be given a chance. I just can't think of any that are good enough.

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:20

Posted Image

Ignore her embonpoint, and look at her neck, that is the result of shifting some heavy weights!

#17 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:28

I can't see any reason why a woman would not be able to perform at F1 level. Obviously she would have to train harder. Women aren't naturally as strong as men. I always find it really frightening how physically strong men are.

The only struggle I can see is at grass roots level. It isn't something that is actively promoted to young girls. They are fed with dolls, dressing up and make-up. Not toy cars or racing games. It is society itself which causes the issue, not the fact that they are girls. There are probably some girls that are out there karting that are better than boys (at grass roots level) but they are taken less seriously than boys.

My mum used to buy me dolls and my brother matchbox cars. She wasted her money on the dolls.

Agreed.

I don't know what the figures are for the amount of kids who kart who will eventually get into F1, but I'm guessing its one in thousands. Considering that its likely at least 90% boys (probably more) who are karting as kids, then the chances of a girl ever making it to F1 are statistically tiny.

I'm fine waiting for one who is good enough personally. F1 doesn't need a female driver, it needs the best drivers regardless of gender, and if one day one of them is a girl, then great. But what worries me is if someone like Danica Patrick (doubt she'll ever do it though) comes along, gets a seat purely based on gender and ends up sucking, then it sets the issue even further back.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think Danica is competent at the level she races, I'm not one of those people who are claiming that she is totally talentless. I just don't think she is good enough for F1.

Edited by KateLM, 15 August 2010 - 19:17.

#18 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:29

The problem is Danica got bucket loads of publicity even before she did the glamor stuff, though I don't doubt that helped. It's the novelty factor.

If we do get a woman in F1 she'll have to be pretty darn mentally tough as she'll have to put up with no end of crap - look at any thread on Danica to see what I mean (and I'd agree, she's perfectly competent without being F1-worthy).

#19 man

man

• 1,527 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:30

Get a token woman driver in. Has my vote.

I would also like to see a token dwarf get a drive.

No gingers though.

Advertisement

#20 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:30

If you try a search you will find several ,one with 600+ posts I seem to remember :wave: Nothing new here I think?

#21 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 16:58

I think that's probably true. She's definitely not fit enough to take the loads on her neck and whatnot.

I try to think--Yamamoto?

#22 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:05

if there was any good enough, they would/should be given a chance. I just can't think of any that are good enough.

For the record, I agree that there is no woman racer that I know of that for sure has the talent to make it in F1. HOWEVER, there are loads of men who are good enough but never get the chance. The ones who are in F1 have a combination of the talent, determination, financial luck, regular luck, and personality to make it.

We all know talent alone doesn't bring someone to F1, so talent and gender alone ain't gonna cut it, either.

However if anything, once the requisite level of talent has been determined, I bet that being a woman is actually more likely to get the ride than a man, due to the novelty factor.

#23 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:20

Get a token woman driver in. Has my vote.

I would also like to see a token dwarf get a drive.

No gingers though.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I dont know a lot about racing in the u.s but hasnt dannica patrick always been in a top team and only won 1 race or something while her teammates have piked up hatfuls.

#24 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:27

I think that's probably true. She's definitely not fit enough to take the loads on her neck and whatnot.

I dunno, that's a pretty thick neck if you look at it closely - it's the one thing I did take out of the glamor shots.

And, no, I'm not gay :p

#25 IFRLIceman

IFRLIceman

• 268 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:40

Simona de Silvestro is probably the best shot at making F1, only problem is that she has no money, so no F1 team will want her.

Edited by IFRLIceman, 15 August 2010 - 17:40.

#26 Willow Rosenberg

Willow Rosenberg

• 355 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:04

I've been following motorsport for about 25 years, right down to grassroots level for most of that time, and I'm fairly sure I could name, off the top of my head, every single female driver who has competed above FFord level during that time. There are probably less than 20.

#27 Berlinette

Berlinette

• 50 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:12

Simona de Silvestro is probably the best shot at making F1, only problem is that she has no money, so no F1 team will want her.

+1, definitely she isn't gonna win races, but she would do a decent work, what I don't think Danica would be able of without ovals...

#28 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:27

Yet if you look at her European record - 3 years of karting (not placed above 13th in any championship) followed by 1 year of Italian F Renault (20th, no podiums, fastest laps or poles) its pretty mediocre. She didn't start winning until she moved to the US, and that kinda makes me question the strength of the US feeders (and OW in general) these days :confused:

Most F1 drivers do show a consistent winning record at the lower levels, even if some (e.g. Webber) don't always get the titles. Occasional pay drivers excepted, of course.

#29 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:29

I try to think--Yamamoto?

Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of g-forces are pulled on high speed ovals like Indy and Texas? Because I reckon they're pretty high - probably not F1 level high, but certainly high enough for her to adapt if she were to make the transition.

#30 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:42

Luizzi's been getting away with it for years, so yeah, bring it on.

#31 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:52

She's definitely not fit enough to take the loads on her neck and whatnot.

Wow!

#32 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 19:05

She didn't start winning until she moved to the US, and that kinda makes me question the strength of the US feeders (and OW in general) these days

True enough, she was winning in what was the weakest, and last, season of Formula Atlantic, and sadly enough, for her first year in big cars is making the danica patrick merchandising corporation look rather pedestrian, particularly in the RC/SC races.

#33 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 19:20

2 to 4 g on the ovals
very intense in the time period tho

#34 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 20:14

2 to 4 g on the ovals
very intense in the time period tho

but as the track (the corners) are inclined, a lot of that force is pushing the driver down instead of laterally, no?

#35 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 20:53

Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of g-forces are pulled on high speed ovals like Indy and Texas? Because I reckon they're pretty high - probably not F1 level high, but certainly high enough for her to adapt if she were to make the transition.

2-4Gs but only in one direction, obviously.

#36 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 21:50

2-4Gs but only in one direction, obviously.

The road courses tend to run clockwise...

#37 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 21:54

Please, God, not another Danica thread.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=134283

Edited by Disgrace, 15 August 2010 - 21:54.

#38 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:14

Jenson Button 2005 (FHM) what he thinks about women in F1

Okay, now the important stuff. Could a woman compete in F1?
There’s a girl out there called Danica Patrick and she’s very quick. She finished fourth in the Indy 500, which is the biggest race in America. But in F1 cars I can’t see it happening because of the G-force in high-speed corners. And one week of the month you wouldn’t want to be on the circuit with them, would you?

Very true. Would their boobs get in the way?
Well, obviously it depends how big they are. But a girl with big boobs would never be comfortable in the car. And the mechanics would have too much fun too, they wouldn’t concentrate on the job. Can you imagine them strapping her in?

http://www.fhm.com/u...r-2005-20051210

Would be interesting if he changed his opinion, some years later, and some years older now

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:25

Indeed, he'd now say he was wrong about Patrick being F1-worthy.

But of course he won't, because he'd be accused of being sexist.

Edited by Disgrace, 15 August 2010 - 22:25.

Advertisement

#40 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:38

Jenson Button 2005 (FHM) what he thinks about women in F1

Okay, now the important stuff. Could a woman compete in F1?
There’s a girl out there called Danica Patrick and she’s very quick. She finished fourth in the Indy 500, which is the biggest race in America. But in F1 cars I can’t see it happening because of the G-force in high-speed corners. And one week of the month you wouldn’t want to be on the circuit with them, would you?

Very true. Would their boobs get in the way?
Well, obviously it depends how big they are. But a girl with big boobs would never be comfortable in the car. And the mechanics would have too much fun too, they wouldn’t concentrate on the job. Can you imagine them strapping her in?

http://www.fhm.com/u...r-2005-20051210

Would be interesting if he changed his opinion, some years later, and some years older now

WOW, those comments are sexist. A team that is trying to maximise their points would not be concerned with what the assets a woman has. I'm sure that the male population can divert their attention of fitting a driver comfortably into the car without thinking about her boobs. :eek:

On top of that with the time of the month thing. Yes you feel a bit moody and get backache and stomach ache. A couple of paracetemol can get rid of that. Adrenelin would counter-act the rest.

As a woman I am completely shocked by those comments. They are so arrogant. He is in no position to comprehend what a woman feels like at the time of the month.

I'm sure men suffer from trapped wind or constipation. It doesn't feel that much different.

I am genuinely shocked and angered by those comments. And no I am not due on for another 15 days.

#41 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:44

WOW, those comments are sexist. A team that is trying to maximise their points would not be concerned with what the assets a woman has. I'm sure that the male population can divert their attention of fitting a driver comfortably into the car without thinking about her boobs. :eek:

On top of that with the time of the month thing. Yes you feel a bit moody and get backache and stomach ache. A couple of paracetemol can get rid of that. Adrenelin would counter-act the rest.

As a woman I am completely shocked by those comments. They are so arrogant. He is in no position to comprehend what a woman feels like at the time of the month.

I'm sure men suffer from trapped wind or constipation. It doesn't feel that much different.

I am genuinely shocked and angered by those comments. And no I am not due on for another 15 days.

It's an FHM interview, what did you expect?

#42 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:54

It's an FHM interview, what did you expect?

Some more mature answers from JB

#43 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 23:35

I'm sure men suffer from trapped wind or constipation.

I've read quite a few threads and could only conclude that nobody suffers from too much trapped wind or constipation in here..... :rotfl:

As for the article - it was for FHM - those types of answers were aimed at a male audience, so that we could all have a chauvinistic chortle at "womens issues" together. Jenson would have put together an entirely different set of answers for House and Garden, I'm sure.

As for women in F1 - don't see how it's different to men in F1 - have the required amount of talent and sponsorship (whatever the mix  ;) ) and get a ride. Can't name a woman in that position, currently - not even Danica, so the question really doesn't have an answer. :well:

#44 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 23:54

I've been following motorsport for about 25 years, right down to grassroots level for most of that time, and I'm fairly sure I could name, off the top of my head, every single female driver who has competed above FFord level during that time. There are probably less than 20.

Precisely, when there's some girl in a championship she always gets lots of attention, but besides Simona I can't think of any good racer. Also there were some Czech girls in karts, but they never advanced to formulas...
I don't think it's down to G-force, they're just so few competing in any championship:) If there were more, then may be we could see one, but in Renault, Abarth or BMW the G-force isn't such a problem and I can't remember any girl who has won a race even on the 1st level in cars!
Also it seems that most of them do it for fun, but Simona may really have a crack. She's beating some good drivers in her rookie season.

#45 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 00:10

there was a girl or two in ginettas wasnt there? they won races..

#46 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 00:17

It's not about g-force nor driving skills. It is just about interest. From my experience, most of girls have little interest in motorsports (generalising), it may be because of the education... since babies boys get to play with cars, plastic guns, balls ... while girls get to play with toy kitchens, baby dolls... Also, fathers tend to introduce their sons to racing (karting and so on) and not their daughers...

#47 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 00:45

She's beating some good drivers in her rookie season.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. What has Simona done, other than set her car on fire? Yes, she does show some promise, if you look for it, but it's still just a promise in Indycars. The talent level in American OW racing is shockingly low, however, and having potential to be competent in Indycars doesn't cut it in other top series.

#48 IFRLIceman

IFRLIceman

• 268 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 00:52

Yet if you look at her European record - 3 years of karting (not placed above 13th in any championship) followed by 1 year of Italian F Renault (20th, no podiums, fastest laps or poles) its pretty mediocre. She didn't start winning until she moved to the US, and that kinda makes me question the strength of the US feeders (and OW in general) these days :confused:

Most F1 drivers do show a consistent winning record at the lower levels, even if some (e.g. Webber) don't always get the titles. Occasional pay drivers excepted, of course.

So that means Francesco Dracone, a top five finisher in F3000, or Sato, a F1 podium winner should be winning all the races? :confused: Not following the logic here...In American Football, some players in college suck in the pros and vice-versa. Jerry Rice, who played for a Div. II school, is one of the greatest NFL receivers of all time. I would be willing to bet some drivers perform well in feeder series can't hack it in the pros. (Piquet Jr., Grosjean)...

#49 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:16

Danica is good enough for F1. But the fact everyone is leaving out is that Danica has no desire to race in F1. She has said that she has no desire for international travel and she is happy in the states. She prefers her ovals.

#50 J. Edlund

J. Edlund

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:00

From a physical standpoint I don't think women would have any disadvantage, perhaps even a small advantage as they are generally lighter and shorter which will always be an advantage. If you look at most F1 drivers they are physically fit yes, but not generally that big and strong, and those who are bigger tend to have a disadvantage in car setup. I seem to recall a comment by Vettel of something like "I'm not exactly a bear" when asked about physical strength.

To be in F1 you do however need more than skill. You need an environment where you can evolve as a driver and you need money and connections to do that.

Not all F1 drivers are the best either, there are a number of drivers that have gotten to F1 during the years simply because of the size of their (or their sponsors) wallet.