Photo

Getting to Monza from Milan

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:03

What is the best way and how long should we allow for the trip? Luckily we are staying very near the Stazione Centrale. Are there 3 day passes for the train?

Advertisement

#2 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 17:44

What is the best way and how long should we allow for the trip? Luckily we are staying very near the Stazione Centrale. Are there 3 day passes for the train?

I'd say allow around 1 hour 30 minutes. The train will drop you off at Monza station where you'll catch a (free) shuttle bus to Monza park. Once off the bus there's a bit of a walk through the park to the circuit itself.

Just turn up at Stazione Centrale and buy your tickets from the ticket machines. Shouldn't cost more than 2 euros one way. Finding the right train isn't difficult, just follow everyone wearing F1 gear :) On the way back you can buy your train tickets from Monza station.

On Sunday the train is free and goes all the way to the Lesmo corner train station. So no need to bother with the bus. After the GP race have a leisurely walk back round the track to the Lesmo corners, collecting some souvenir tyre rubber on the way, and hop on the train back to Milan :)

Train times are here...

http://www.monzanet....o... - EN#treno

Edited by nugat, 26 August 2010 - 17:50.

#3 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 20:47

Thanks for the info nugat. I assume the signage is in Italian. How hard is it to find your Grandstand and seat?

#4 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 23:30

Thanks for the info nugat. I assume the signage is in Italian. How hard is it to find your Grandstand and seat?

The signs around the circuit are good, you wont have any trouble finding your way around. My Italian is not good and I never had a problem finding my way, I'm sure you wont either.

Where are you sitting? If you get the shuttle bus from Monza station on the Friday & Saturday you'll end up walking into the circuit next to the pit straight. On Friday it's free roaming so take advantage and have a look round some other grandstands. You'll be sat in your booked seat on Saturday and Sunday.

Last couple of times I've done first practice on the main straight and then second practice at the second chicane. I want to get to the variante ascari this time though as I've never watched from there.

Have a look on google maps, the circuit is on there in pretty good detail, you can see all the pathways through the forest to give you an idea.

Edited by nugat, 26 August 2010 - 23:30.

#5 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 16:57

Our tickets are in 6B which is inside the first chicane. Thanks for all the tips...we will definitely want to check out other parts of the track on Friday. If the main entrance is near the pit straight, we shouldn't be too far to left...correct?

#6 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:38

Our tickets are in 6B which is inside the first chicane. Thanks for all the tips...we will definitely want to check out other parts of the track on Friday. If the main entrance is near the pit straight, we shouldn't be too far to left...correct?

Yeah, at 6B you'll be on the inside of the circuit overlooking the first corner/end of pitlane. From the pit straight grandstands carry on down towards the first corner, not far down you'll turn right and take a tunnel underneath the circuit. It's all sign posted from there.

From there you can also walk round to Curva Grande, Variante della Roggia and the Lesmos. I've not been further than that but I presume you can easily get to the Ascari chicane from there also.

As you're in 6B, as soon as the race has finished, go underneath the grandstand, up the old banking that's infront of it and out onto the circuit. If you run quick enough you can get to the podium for the ceremony. Either way it's worth going for a wander on the track, and the quickest way to get back to the train station at the Lesmo corners :)

#7 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 16:43

... and the quickest way to get back to the train station at the Lesmo corners :)

We've used the free train on race day to get from Centrale to Lesmo but going back we've only ever got either the free bus to Monza station or waited for a service bus on the main road. If we walk on the track can you confirm that we can get out of the circuit at Lesmo?

Thanks nugat

Edited by F1Annie, 31 August 2010 - 16:45.

#8 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:40

I think we all can get out of the Circuit the same way we got in, if we want to, or we can pick a different gate to our way out. Regarding the train/buses routes, as far as I understand there is a train from Centrale direct to Lesmo. On the way back the same train goes from Lesmo [therfore the gate is open], then stops at Monza railway station and then reaches Milan. Also there are two bus routes, the Monza - Vedano [(Bus 204 from Monza Corso Milano (near Monza Railway Station) to Vedano al Lambro (Vedano gate to Monza circuit)] and the Monza - Biassono [(Bus 221 (Sesto - Carate bus line) from Corso Milano (near Monza railway Station) to Biassono (S. Maria delle Selve gate to Monza circuit)]. Details here at the updated site.

Edited by Aviator, 01 September 2010 - 07:51.

#9 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:25

We've used the free train on race day to get from Centrale to Lesmo but going back we've only ever got either the free bus to Monza station or waited for a service bus on the main road. If we walk on the track can you confirm that we can get out of the circuit at Lesmo?

Yes definitely, you can walk either way round the circuit. In 2006 & 2007 I walked down to the Parabolica, round past Ascari and onto the back straight. When you get to the Lesmos just look for a conveient point to hop off and wander down to the train station.

At the same time (in 2007) my friends walked the other way round through Curva Grande etc.

In the past it has been be a bit of a scrum for the train back, they keep people queueing outside the train station only letting enough people to fill the train onto the platform. So probably best not to assume you'll get the first train that turns up. Allow yourself at least one train spare incase you have to queue to get onto the platform, i.e don't turn up 5 minutes before the last train leaves and expect to get on it. That doesn't mean you have to rush back though :)

#10 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 19:03

Yes definitely, you can walk either way round the circuit. In 2006 & 2007 I walked down to the Parabolica, round past Ascari and onto the back straight. When you get to the Lesmos just look for a convenient point to hop off and wander down to the train station.

At the same time (in 2007) my friends walked the other way round through Curva Grande etc.

Thanks. We're sitting opposite the podium & know where to get onto the track from our seats & possible catch a few drops of Mumm! We plan to walk to Lesmos from pit straight via Prima Variante etc.

In the past it has been be a bit of a scrum for the train back, they keep people queueing outside the train station only letting enough people to fill the train onto the platform. So probably best not to assume you'll get the first train that turns up. Allow yourself at least one train spare incase you have to queue to get onto the platform, i.e don't turn up 5 minutes before the last train leaves and expect to get on it. That doesn't mean you have to rush back though :)

That's very useful to know thank you. Sounds a bit like what they do at Montmelo - they limit the number of people on the platform but you could easily get pushed onto the railway track. At least there aren't fast trains whizzing through Lesmos.

#11 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:08

I went to Monza last year and took the free train on the Sunday. We didn't have any real issues getting onto the train going to the track, or coming back either. We got to Milan Central Station around 10.30am and just missed a train that was leaving. Thankfully the queue wasn't too bad at that time so we were able to get onto the next train at 11am and get a seat with ease but it soon filled up. We got to the Lesmo station about 11.30am and ended up walking for about 1hr 45 minutes to get to our seats! We were sitting at the first corner, Prima Variante Alta 8A or something like that it's called. It was the first corner at the grandstand on the left if you were walking the same direction as the cars were going.

Anyway we made it to our seats about 1.10pm and the race started at 2pm. So make sure you give yourself enough time to find your seats. I thought we could simply walk down the outside of the track from the Lesmo's to our seats but that didn't seem to be possible. When you walk in from the Lesmo's you head into a tunnel which takes you under the track and onto the inside of the circuit. The signs were quite bad and it took a long, long time before we found signs pointing to the grandstand we were in. We had to walk down the middle of the circuit, behind the pits, back under the track, up to where the main grandstand was and back down to where we were sitting.

It was just as well that we got that 11am train as the next one wasn't until 11.30am and with the amount of walking we ended up doing, we'd only have made it with 15 minutes to go.

You can walk the track after the race and it's much quicker to get back to the Lesmo's that way. We took our time walking back, getting photo's and we were able to get onto the first train that showed up after we arrived. There was a big crowd but it was orderly. The train was quite full and roasting hot and then it stopped at Monza station to pick up more people. It was sweltering. But we made it back into Milan Central Station about 5pm.

I'm going to Monza again next week however I'm doing things differently this time. I'm staying in Bergamo and taking the train to Monza and back each day and then taking the free shuttle bus to the track. My seat is for the main grandstand across from the pits and from my experience last year, it was about a 30 minute walk from the bus drop-off point and that Grandstand was the area you kind of end up walking to.

I just need to figure out which trains stop at Bergamo and Monza!

Which grandstand are you in F1Annie? I'm in grandstand 26A.

#12 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 17:03

I'm going to Monza again next week however I'm doing things differently this time. I'm staying in Bergamo and taking the train to Monza and back each day and then taking the free shuttle bus to the track.... I just need to figure out which trains stop at Bergamo and Monza!

I've just had a look on Trenitalia & it looks like there are direct trains from Bergamo to Monza

Which grandstand are you in F1Annie? I'm in grandstand 26A.

We're in 26C

#13 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:07

I've just had a look on Trenitalia & it looks like there are direct trains from Bergamo to Monza

We're in 26C

Cheers, yeah I know there's trains to Monza it's just figuring out which ones stop there.

Sure you never know, I might bump into you there :)

#14 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:37

Cheers, yeah I know there's trains to Monza it's just figuring out which ones stop there.

Oh right. Sorry misunderstood. :|

Sure you never know, I might bump into you there :)

Might be difficult to spot - will be wearing red. :lol: However I will have my yellow cavallino flag.

Posted Image

#15 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:27

What about getting to the track on Thursday? I know the shuttle buses only run Friday through Sunday. How can we know which bus stops at the entrance to the track, or the park actually.

#16 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 13:18

What about getting to the track on Thursday? I know the shuttle buses only run Friday through Sunday. How can we know which bus stops at the entrance to the track, or the park actually.

Here you go, these are public buses so you'll have to pay for them. I was going to head to the track on the Thursday too but I think I'm going to skip it now and go from the Friday instead.

MONZA - VEDANO (near Autodromo entrance)

Bus 204 from Monza Corso Milano (near Monza Railway Station) to Vedano al Lambro (Vedano gate to Monza circuit)

MONZA - BIASSONO

Bus 221 (Sesto - Carate bus line) from Corso Milano (near Monza railway Station) to Biassono (S. Maria delle Selve gate to Monza circuit)

MONZA RAILWAY STATION - AUTODROMO

On Friday 10th, saturday 11th and Sunday 12th September 2010
BLACK LINE BUS SHUTTLE: free bus shuttle from Monza railway Station (Porta Castello exit) towards the circuit (Vedano gate).

#17 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 14:43

Here you go, these are public buses so you'll have to pay for them. I was going to head to the track on the Thursday too but I think I'm going to skip it now and go from the Friday instead.

MONZA - VEDANO (near Autodromo entrance)

Bus 204 from Monza Corso Milano (near Monza Railway Station) to Vedano al Lambro (Vedano gate to Monza circuit)

MONZA - BIASSONO

Bus 221 (Sesto - Carate bus line) from Corso Milano (near Monza railway Station) to Biassono (S. Maria delle Selve gate to Monza circuit)

MONZA RAILWAY STATION - AUTODROMO

On Friday 10th, saturday 11th and Sunday 12th September 2010
BLACK LINE BUS SHUTTLE: free bus shuttle from Monza railway Station (Porta Castello exit) towards the circuit (Vedano gate).

All good info

Alternatively just follow the Ferrari hats

#18 Sith

Sith

• 1,308 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:34

Sounds like a a few people from Atlas are going next week.. I'll be there as well.. Maybe we could organise a "meet and greet"???

#19 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:29

I need someone to clarify this:

The shortest way to go at the 26ABC stands is through the Vedano gate, which is closer to the grandstands. To get at the Vedano gate you need to take the free bus from Monza railway station. To get to Monza railway station you need to take the train from the Porta Garibaldi Station and not from Centrale. Am I right? Can someone verify this?

Advertisement

#20 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:55

The shortest way to go at the 26ABC stands is through the Vedano gate, which is closer to the grandstands. To get at the Vedano gate you need to take the free bus from Monza railway station. To get to Monza railway station you need to take the train from the Porta Garibaldi Station and not from Centrale. Am I right? Can someone verify this?

If you're getting the train from Milan I don't think there's any quicker way than getting the bus from Monza station to the Vedano entrance.

I don't know about Porta Garibaldi station as I've never been from there, but trains definitely run to/from Stazione Centrale. In fact if you want the free train to the Lesmo corners on Sunday you have to go from Stazione Centrale.

Whatever you do buy your tickets from the ticket machines at the station, the first time I went I bought them from a member of staff and got charged quadruple.

#21 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:41

Whatever you do buy your tickets from the ticket machines at the station, the first time I went I bought them from a member of staff and got charged quadruple.

And don't forget to 'validate' your ticket at the yellow box on the platform before you travel otherwise you may be fined.

#22 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:23

You can get to Monza from Centrale. I don't know about Porta Garibaldi Station, I've no idea where it is. Last year I stayed in Milan and took the paid train to Monza from Centrale on the Friday. We didn't go on the Saturday and we took the free train on the Sunday from Centrale.

I don't know if it will be the same this year, but last year we got to Centrale and they had a sign in English on the information box on the main platforms that said something like "For Monza, take trains to X, or Y". I can't remember the destination but it saved us having to ask which trains to take.

There are machines where you can buy tickets in Centrale and they have an English option. You can also buy your tickets online however I think you have to pick the time you want to take the train at and have to go no later than 3 hours after that train and not any earlier. You can also buy train tickets in newsagents and stuff. At Monza station there's a ticket counter, and 1 ticket machine. However there can be quite a few people queuing so to save time, you can go into the shop in the station and ask for a train ticket and they will sell you one also.

#23 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 13:21

Thank you all for the answers!

#24 vanfriends

vanfriends

• 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:03

Leaving towards Milan on Thursday, the second Grand Prix for me, previously I've only gone to Monaco in 2006. So excited.

I've been wondering about the return from Monza on the race day, we have a flight to catch at 19.00 at Malpensa, do you guys have an idea what would be the smartest way to get to the airport, or are we doomed? I quess we have to get the train from Monza to Centrale and then a bus from there to Malpensa and hope we have enough time. Would love to get to the podium instead of rushing through to the airport.

Thanks for all the info you've shared on the thread!

Edited by vanfriends, 07 September 2010 - 09:04.

#25 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:54

Leaving towards Milan on Thursday, the second Grand Prix for me, previously I've only gone to Monaco in 2006. So excited.

I've been wondering about the return from Monza on the race day, we have a flight to catch at 19.00 at Malpensa, do you guys have an idea what would be the smartest way to get to the airport, or are we doomed? I quess we have to get the train from Monza to Centrale and then a bus from there to Malpensa and hope we have enough time. Would love to get to the podium instead of rushing through to the airport.

Thanks for all the info you've shared on the thread!

Ahh you are in the same situation with hundreds other people! and I suspect getting to Malpensa at that time is going to be an unforgetable experience...
Seriously, I think what you describe is the common way, but check Trenitalia timetables because probably there is a train(s) going from Monza RS to Malpensa.

#26 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 19:20

Not sure if all your questions have been answered but anyway 'yes' to the first two & you get the train from Stazione Centrale to Monza not Porta Garibaldi.

#27 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 19:23

I'm going to Monza again next week however I'm doing things differently this time. I'm staying in Bergamo and taking the train to Monza and back each day and then taking the free shuttle bus to the track. My seat is for the main grandstand across from the pits and from my experience last year, it was about a 30 minute walk from the bus drop-off point and that Grandstand was the area you kind of end up walking to.

I just need to figure out which trains stop at Bergamo and Monza!

We took the train to Bergamo today. It's a lovely town & the views from Citta Alta would have been wonderful if it hadn't been pouring with rain! Never mind I visited the Donizetti Museum which was fascinating. (Opera being my other passion)

#28 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:11

Thank you F1Annie

By the way, the weather in Lombardia seems to be improving in the next days so let's hope we will have a sunny weekend. Thanks again.

#29 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:49

We took the train to Bergamo today. It's a lovely town & the views from Citta Alta would have been wonderful if it hadn't been pouring with rain! Never mind I visited the Donizetti Museum which was fascinating. (Opera being my other passion)

Cool. I'm staying in Bergamo and flying out there this evening.

#30 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 18:07

On the off chance anyone is going tomorrow and reads this, the majority of the trains to Monza are now running to/from Porta Garibaldi station. We missed first practice today as we turned up at Central station as usual and had to wait until 10.20am to get a train to Monza.

Tomorrow we're going to get the underground (metro) from Central Station to Porta Garibaldi and then from there to Monza.

The free trains on the Sunday are still running straight from Central Station.

#31 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 18:48

On the off chance anyone is going tomorrow and reads this, the majority of the trains to Monza are now running to/from Porta Garibaldi station. We missed first practice today as we turned up at Central station as usual and had to wait until 10.20am to get a train to Monza.

Tomorrow we're going to get the underground (metro) from Central Station to Porta Garibaldi and then from there to Monza.

The free trains on the Sunday are still running straight from Central Station.

Yes, I only realised that today.

Apologies to everyone for misleading them. We're planning on getting the 08.20 from Centrale but will come back to Garibaldi if necessary. We picked a hotel right by Centrale because it was easy to get to Monza. Maybe choose a different hotel another time.

#32 Clarkus79

Clarkus79

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 22:09

Yes, I only realised that today.

Apologies to everyone for misleading them. We're planning on getting the 08.20 from Centrale but will come back to Garibaldi if necessary. We picked a hotel right by Centrale because it was easy to get to Monza. Maybe choose a different hotel another time.

I have just checked the www.trenitalia.it site. Unless it has changed still loads of trains on raceday from Milan Centrale on raceday from the early hours.
Not sure about qualifying tomorrow though, best worth checking! I will be going to Centrale on Sat night to double check as I want that 06:20 train to Monza!

#33 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:41

For future travelers to the Monza Grand Prix

1. Hotels near Centrale RS are good choice because they offer :
- Quick access to Centrale RS of course, since this is the major starting point in Milan for numerous destinations in and out of Italy
- 5'-10 ' walking to Malpensa/Linatte Express buses
- 5'-10 ' to Porta Garibaldi RS (using the Metro Green Line M2 from Centrale...)

2. The days before Saturday & Sunday, pick the train from Centrale RS and go to Monza RS. Then take the ordinary bus nr. 221 and get off at the Vedano bus station in order to walk to the Vedano Gate. Or get off a few stops later to go to the Santa Maria alle Selve Gate. To return to your hotel, do the same thing the other way around.

3. On Saturday, if you like you can follow the same route but the officials have arranged for you to take the Black Line buses, right outside the Monza RS, which will drop you inside the Monza Park and then walk to the Vedano Gate

4. On Sunday the train schedules are different than those of the previous days. Please read:

On Sunday - To go to the track
A. If you want to go to Monza RS and then continue to the track with other means, then you must pick the train from the Porta Garibaldi RS at Milan
B. If you want to go to Lesmo corners and then walk to your seat, then you must pick the train from the Centrale RS at Milan

In case of A:
The train goes to Monza RS in 30'. From there you have the following options:
- Walk to the Vedano Gate (bad choice - It is a long distance and it will take you more than 60' of quick walking.) or
- Take the free bus (Black Line) which drops you inside the Monza park and then walk to the Vedano Gate (good choice - 20' quick walking) or
- Take the ordinary bus (line 221/free) and either get off at Vedano bus station and then walk to the Vedano Gate (not bad, takes approx. 25'-35' quick walking), or get off a few stops later and go to the Santa Maria alle Selve Gate (good choice for those who have seats close to that gate)

In case of B:
The train goes to Biassono/Lesmo station in 25'. Note, that it passes through Monza RS but doesn' stop there. At Biassono you will need 2' walking to the Lesmo Gate. Notes:
- If it is your first time to Lesmo gate, then you will find it difficult to reach your seats because there are not signs or info to guide you. My seat was at Tribuna Laterale Destra (the Grandstand) and I asked the officers many times to direct me to the right path, because the Monza park is huge and there are many paths. But...! the other way around is very easy because there are numerous signs which point you the Uscita Lesmo (Lesmo exit) so there is no way to miss the exit and return to Biassono train station.
- In this forum I read that someone needed 90' to walk from the Lesmo gate to the Grandstand. I found this info totally misleading since although I stopped 4 times to task for directions and some other times to take photographs, it took me 25' quick walking to reach my seat. I weigh 75kg.

On Sunday - To leave the track
A. Exit from Vedano Gate, walk back to the Black Line bus point (25' quick walking), take the bus and get to the Monza RS. From Monza RS pick your train to Milan - either to Porta Gribaldi or Centrale
B. Exit from Lesmo Gate and take the train to Milano Centrale (Via Monza RS)

In case A:
1. You must count the traffic jam in Monza streets, where on Sunday afternoon after the race is a nightmare.
2. After you get to the Monza RS you have two options:
- Take the train to Porta Garibaldi RS (good option) or
- Take the train to Centrale (bad option since this is the train which comes from Lesmo, with hundreds of people already on-board and can only take a few additional more. If you are "lucky" enough and want to feel like a sardine then this is your train)

In case B:
Since my return flight was on Sunday at 20:00 from Malpensa and I was in a hurry, I took option B because:
1. I spent only 25' quick walking from the Grandstand to the Lesmo exit.
2. It only took me one train to get to Milano Centrale, 25' no buses, no traffic jams, no extra trains.
3. The trains from Lesmo to Milan leave every 15' and the officials count the number of people who can get on-board.

The Malpensa Express buses took 50' to reach Malpensa airport (T2-->T1) and my Grandstand-to-Malpensa "journey" lasted approx. 2 hrs.

That was my first time to Monza GP and I hope my info will be helpful to others.
Forgive me for the long post and for my English!

Edited by Aviator, 14 September 2010 - 09:45.

#34 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 19:24

Excellent & informative, good post aviator

I got under the podium :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:00

Good weekend at Monza.

The highlight for me was getting on a Paddock and Pit tour with McLaren on the Friday. I got to see their pit garage, got into their Brand centre and got to walk around the paddock and seen a ton of drivers and some team personnel too and even Bernie.

Downsides, the mosquito/insect bites that I got and wasting all of Monday sitting at Bergamo airport waiting for my 8.20pm flight home and knowing that I could have easily made the Sunday night flight at 10pm after all had I booked it instead.

#36 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:00

It was a lovely weekend indeed, the weather was excellent, the atmosphere was great, so many events to see. We went at the walkabout and the autograph session on Thursday afternoon [next time I will wear my armor there...]. It was amazing to see the crowds running towards the podium to celebrate together with the winners and we enjoyed the sight of that big Ferrari flag held by some Τifossi. Monza's race felt so unique. However the visitor not only enjoys the race itself but the whole package as well - the places like Lake Como, Bergamo, Verona, Venice which are close, the food & wine. So I must ask the experienced members of this forum; what is your favorite GP? A similar "package" like the one Monza offers to the visitor?

#37 Clarkus79

Clarkus79

• 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:54

Aviator, there were plenty of trains from Milan central to Monza on the Sunday.....I checked beforehand..got the first one at 06:30. The trains were running all day from Centrale.

#38 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 19:08

It was a lovely weekend indeed, the weather was excellent, the atmosphere was great, so many events to see. We went at the walkabout and the autograph session on Thursday afternoon [next time I will wear my armor there...]. It was amazing to see the crowds running towards the podium to celebrate together with the winners and we enjoyed the sight of that big Ferrari flag held by some Τifossi. Monza's race felt so unique. However the visitor not only enjoys the race itself but the whole package as well - the places like Lake Como, Bergamo, Verona, Venice which are close, the food & wine. So I must ask the experienced members of this forum; what is your favorite GP? A similar "package" like the one Monza offers to the visitor?

Monza is my favourite GP and for all the reasons you mention. I usually stay a week in Milan & do some sightseeing on the first few days. This time I went to Bergamo, Lake Maggiore & Mantua. I can't think of another race where there's the combination of fabulous food & wine, an amazing circuit & interesting places to visit within easy reach.

But I'd love to hear other suggestions.

BTW Did you get a chance to look at the old banking?

#39 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:19

On my way out in I found a path to the banking through a small fence but I was running out of time and didn't stay as long as I wished. This is a piece of motor racing history, it is absolutely fantastic, I just love it. Through GPL simulator I drive there, back in the era when the sport was romantic and the racers were men and not spoiled divas. I promised myself next year I will definitely spend the whole week in Milan and dedicate enough time to explore the old track and the old pits!

Advertisement

#40 Aviator

Aviator

• 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:41

Aviator, there were plenty of trains from Milan central to Monza on the Sunday.....I checked beforehand..got the first one at 06:30. The trains were running all day from Centrale.

You are probably right because by the time we arrived at the station (07:45) we saw that the train to Tirrano (Monza) was departing at 08:20 but there was a crowd queuing up in a "special" train which was heading to Lesmo. When we asked the officials about the train to Monza RS, they said that on Sunday trains to Monza RS leave only from Porta Garibladi but that sounded very strange (why did they change it on Sunday?). So after your confirmation I guess that there was a confusion among the officials. Next year we will know better!

#41 Clarkus79

Clarkus79

• 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:23

You are probably right because by the time we arrived at the station (07:45) we saw that the train to Tirrano (Monza) was departing at 08:20 but there was a crowd queuing up in a "special" train which was heading to Lesmo. When we asked the officials about the train to Monza RS, they said that on Sunday trains to Monza RS leave only from Porta Garibladi but that sounded very strange (why did they change it on Sunday?). So after your confirmation I guess that there was a confusion among the officials. Next year we will know better!

Can't quote for after the train I got, but I did check the Italian Rail website and It stated loads of trains from Milan ---> Monza.
One thing I was worried about, I brought the ticket okat but couldn't validate it in the yellow boxes on the platform! Asked an Asian couple but they did not speak English or any Italian! Luckily the train inspector did not check the ticket or I would have got a fine! Not many F1 fans on the train at that morning...can't understand why anyone would have left it later than than 07:00 to leave Milan!

Anyway hope you all had a great time @ Monza..I know I did, it was incredible! (First time abroad on my todd, and I loved it!)

#42 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 18:23

I plan to attend in 2011. Can everyone recommend their fave grandstand(s)? Thx.

#43 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:41

I plan to attend in 2011. Can everyone recommend their fave grandstand(s)? Thx.

Prima Variante

#44 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:40

Prima Variante

Second that, 6B gives a good compromise between price and view IMO.

I've taken advantage of the free roaming Friday practice to view from grandstands at Variante della Roggia, Variante Ascari and the pit straight.
I still think Prima Variante/Variante del Rettifilo/the 1st corner/whatever you want to call it, is the best :)

Take something soft to sit on though, as the stands are hard on your backside! :)

#45 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:39

Take something soft to sit on though, as the stands are hard on your backside! :)

Second that!

#46 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:17

Thanks everyone. You have helped to make our trip in 2010 even better!

#47 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 23:52

BTW, do you know approx. when tickets go on sale for 2011? I registered on their site so do they send out advance notification? Thx.

#48 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 19:46

BTW, do you know approx. when tickets go on sale for 2011? I registered on their site so do they send out advance notification? Thx.

:lol:

You really did enjoy it! I know how you feel I want to go next year as well. Now they've changed the site I don't know the procedure though. I got my tickets through http://www.formula1....ets_and_travel/

#49 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 14:17

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences this year. Loved the history and the ambiance, but was surprised by the lack of passion...at least where I was sitting in 6B. Sure the Tifosi loved it when Alonso took the lead, but I expected pure frenzy. All I have to compare to is Montreal(well Indy when it had F1, but that didn't feel like a Grand Prix), but the fans seemed more into it in Canada. I loved walking the old banking and the food was much better than Canada.
The real downside was getting there. I will never complain about the crowds in Canada again. My God, can't they find some faster way through Monza...the bus took forever and then we had that long walk to the track. How about making some purely bus lanes during the Grand Prix weekend. Loved all the rest of my trip especially Venice and Cinque Terre. I am glad I did it, but I have to say the Montreal is much more fun.

#50 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 20:06

Well, dick, I won't let my wife see your comparison to Montreal!!! Plus, Formula1.com sells only higher priced seats so I will buy via the event site. This year (2011) will be my 40th Canadian GP so my wonderful spouse is indulging me with Monza as a token of her undying affection!

Edited by Berner, 03 October 2010 - 20:06.