Photo

Racing Comments Confession Box..

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:06

Just one of those for fun threads to kill time before the seasons starts. Basically, if you've got some vaguely unpopular or controversial opinion, or something you feel like getting off your chest, post in here, and let's try to get some good banter going. It can be about anything as long as it's vaguely related to any kind of motorsport (not just F1) - teams and drivers, liveries and technical info, tracks and championships, racing in the past and the future, journalists and commentators, etc.

A few of mine so everyone gets the idea -

- I've been following F1 for 15 years and seriously for about five, and I find Silverstone to be a horrendously boring circuit for all types of racing. I suspect that if it wasn't British, or was built in the last few years instead of being as old as it is, few people would like it as much as they do.

- The 'John Player Special' livery is the most overrated livery in all of motorsport history. Trounced royally by green and yellow, Camel yellow and blue, and the Gold Leaf colors.

- The 107% rule is a bullshit way for the powers that be to cover their asses for letting 'unworthy' teams onto the grid in the first place. Every car to roll out of the pit lane for qualifying should be allowed on the grid.

Those are kind of lame but that's the general idea, so post a few of your own, quote someone else's, let's get a decent discussion going. Banter = good, slagging off = bad.

Advertisement

#2 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:31

- The 'John Player Special' livery is the most overrated livery in all of motorsport history. Trounced royally by green and yellow, Camel yellow and blue, and the Gold Leaf colors.

You're not alone! I like the green and yellow Lotus, from what I've seen of it, and I just don't see what's so amazing about the JPS. Not saying it's bad, but hey I've seen better.

The new section at Silverstone has immensely improved the track, I have always liked the circuit but I believe it was never really good until now.

Ok for me what's so great about Ovals? You might as well have train racing, going round in one big circle all day is my idea of utter boredom.

I'm sure I'll think of more later :)

#3 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:35

MS is making a fool of himself.

Barcelona and Hungaroring are boring as hell.

I'd live without Monza as well.

#4 MurrayMint

MurrayMint

• 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:39

This, just this really. I mean, it just looks dated and hideous. Nearly as bad as the Honda Earth livery.

I think James Allen was actually an alright commentator for F1... make of that what you will.

#5 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,209 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:43

Damon Hill was a clumsy and error-ridden driver all through his career, and I suspect I could have won world titles in the 1996/7 Williams.

#6 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 20:44

The best days for Williams F1 are behind them.

#7 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:03

I've been following F1 for 15 years and seriously for about five, and I find Silverstone to be a horrendously boring circuit for all types of racing. I suspect that if it wasn't British, or was built in the last few years instead of being as old as it is, few people would like it as much as they do.

Agreed. That Silverstone is the"...Home of British Motorsport...", really doesn't say anything good about British motorsport.

- I find Ferrari's (both F1 and road going ones) to be tacky and vulgar.

- Every driver I root for (Alesi, Hill, Herbert, Justin Wilson, Verstappen, Ruebens) ends up being a bit crap.

- I miss Paul Stoddart and Eddie Jordan as team owners.

- Ron Dennis does this smug face (I think it's his version of a smile) that makes me want to punch kittens.

#8 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:06

MS is making a fool of himself.

Barcelona and Hungaroring are boring as hell.

I'd live without Monza as well.

I don't think many people will argue with that!

Monza has an electric atmosphere but the on track action isn't very good.

#9 schtix

schtix

• 79 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:12

Formula One drivers are not racing drivers. They only spend ~2 hours on 20 days (less than 40 hours) a year actually racing. I wish Formula One drivers raced every weekend in all kinds of diciplines and categories, like Jimmy Clark used to.

#10 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,611 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:16

I think Tilke doesn't deserve a third of the stick thrown his way.

#11 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:30

F1 has gotten v v boring - for the time being 4 wheels good 2 wheels (much) better roll on wsbk, supersports and Moto 2

#12 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:36

My confession: I have a feeling this forum is ultimately pointless. But that wont' stop me. :D

#13 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:37

In the last 20 years, Mclaren have been the biggest underachievers in the sport. (I am a fan so go easy!)

The WRC is dying a slow death.

As are all touring car series (v8's perhaps excepted)

Also!

The FIA track design regulators should be shot. In the liver.
Herman Tilke should be crucified, next to Jonathan legard.

Edited by Andy865, 19 January 2011 - 21:39.

#14 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:39

My confession: I have a feeling this forum is ultimately pointless. But that wont' stop me. :D

:D.

Well, that's all internet forums are, really. A vast collection of things that didn't need to be said.

#15 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:40

:D.

Well, that's all internet forums are, really. A vast collection of things that didn't need to be said.

yep. hey ho. :lol:

#16 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:44

-Sakhir is a great circuit for racing and slipstreaming, unfortunately slipstream effect since 2009 is a joke

-I don't care about number of spectators during weekend, I would choose empty Istanbul Park or Shanghai over Hungaboring with 200 000 fans any second

-Catalunya, Hungaboring and Valencia should be dropped from calendar ASAP or reprofiled to create any overtaking opportunity other than being 3 seconds or 20 kph faster

-person who approved changing layout of Catalunya is a moron

-sectors 2 and 3 of Korean circuit are absolutely fantastic, on par with Spa

-Felipe didn't have as bad 2010 season as people think, he was at/slightly lower than Jenson's level, compared to Fred/Lewis

-Fernando is a great driver, but as a human he's *******, the sooner he'll leave Ferrari, the better

-Red Bulls were in class of their own only in qualis and few races, like Spain, Great Britain and Hungary, in other 16 races they were either slower or next best car was some 5 seconds behind at the finish, it's nowhere near what we saw in 2004, when Ferraris could easily be 30 seconds ahead

-asphalt run-offs are joke and only create controversies (Belgium 08, Belgium 09, Great Britain 10 etc.) in places where it makes absolutely no sense to have them (La Source, Bus Stop, etc.)

Formula One drivers are not racing drivers. They only spend ~2 hours on 20 days (less than 40 hours) a year actually racing. I wish Formula One drivers raced every weekend in all kinds of diciplines and categories, like Jimmy Clark used to.

This.

#17 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:53

Well some people seem to think we're to blame for the demise of Jonathan Legard :blush:

or to thank for it, depending on your point of view :clap: .

#18 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 995 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:56

Just general opinions - nothing controversial.

James Allen was overly and unfairly criticised.

Jonathan Legard was never criticised enough.

Max Mosley should have been dressed up as an SS General and parachuted into Tel Aviv. Without a ripcord.

Kimi Raikkonen's WDC was won by an illegal flexing floor.

The sun shines out of Alonso's ass.

Pat Fry was dismissed by McLaren over a mobile phone gaffe ( just a suspicion, no proof, my opinion only)

Button was destroyed by Lewis this year and the points table flatters him.

Button will destroy Lewis next year.

I won't be revisiting this topic.....

:wave: :wave: :wave:

#19 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 21:58

Motor racing would be better off without the tifosi.

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:05

I think Tilke doesn't deserve a third of the stick thrown his way.

Oh definitely, he has done a fairly good job on the small pieces of flat featureless land he gets given. And Turkey, for instance, is a fantastic circuit.

The WRC is dying a slow death.

As are all touring car series (v8's perhaps excepted)

The BTCC is doing well and it is still a great series to watch.

Rallying really needs to recognise it's no longer a big deal. The WRC can't be at F1 level of money and support, those days are long gone. It may be fun to watch cars wreck the countryside about, but most people want an easy to watch series.

#21 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:06

It sickens me how expensive it can be to a grand prix weekend when thay are trying to attract people to the sport. That and the lack of online options from Bernie. My main gripe. Nothing else really bothers me.

#22 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:10

- I could care less about HD TV.

- I used to think Kimi was the fastest, coolest driver around....now he just seems like a over-rated self centered jerk.

- I couldn't wait for Schumacher to retire....now I hope he wins at least one more race.

- I think people get way to excited by who is announcing the race.....I don't really listen to the commentary anyway.

- When the cars were more unreliable, F1 had a lot more drama.

- I guess I am the only person who likes F1 but also likes Bernie.

- I have never drank a Red Bull.

#23 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:14

Just to clarify...is this a 'confessions' box or a 'Vent' thread?

My confession.... I have shamefully broken speed limits on more than one occasion.

my vent....

People need to stop judging other people and their character/credibility based purely on their comments, until they have met the person in reality.

#24 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:15

Bernie has done more good than harm to the sport

2013 engine regs will be a good thing

Kubica is nothing special

Kimi was a quick but inexperienced driver who lucked a WDC but didn't have the ability/temperament to make if of his own doing

Tony Fernandes is a good guy who has been shafted by Group Lotus

#25 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:17

- I think people get way to excited by who is announcing the race.....I don't really listen to the commentary anyway.

- When the cars were more unreliable, F1 had a lot more drama.

- I guess I am the only person who likes F1 but also likes Bernie.

- I have never drank a Red Bull.

Agree

#26 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:18

I hate tarmac runoff
James Allen was alright as a commentator
My respect for Brundle has gone down the last two years
I like the Bahrain track
I think Laguna Seca is over-rated
I've begun to prefer Le mans racing over f1
I like to watch F1 whilst wearing......actually never mind about that one.

#27 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:20

I will always root for an australian driver/rider. (But there's not a single driver I dislike on the grid in the slightest)

#28 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:21

- I've been following F1 for 15 years and seriously for about five, and I find Silverstone to be a horrendously boring circuit for all types of racing. I suspect that if it wasn't British, or was built in the last few years instead of being as old as it is, few people would like it as much as they do.

Agreed. That Silverstone is the"...Home of British Motorsport...", really doesn't say anything good about British motorsport.

Nnnoooooo!!!! Posted Image

#29 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:21

I hate tarmac runoff
James Allen was alright as a commentator
My respect for Brundle has gone down the last two years
I like the Bahrain track
I think Laguna Seca is over-rated
I've begun to prefer Le mans racing over f1
I like to watch F1 whilst wearing......actually never mind about that one.

You always write something that lightens the mood. I really enjoy your posts. :wave:

#30 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:22

This thread is both a confession box and vent thread. Obviously it's a bit tongue in cheek, admitting you've never been to a GP or you liked Jonathan Legard is hardly something that weighs on your conscience every day, but that's the general idea.

And I agree that unreliability is good for the entertainment value of the sport - a race series where engines (occasionally, not often) explode into clouds of smoke and flame is generally preferable to a race series where the odds of more than one mechanical DNF per GP is 50/1.

#31 gd2

gd2

• 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:22

- Every driver I root for (Alesi, Hill, Herbert, Justin Wilson, Verstappen, Ruebens) ends up being a bit crap.

Only one driver in that group fits the crap bit but the cars they had definately do!

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:24

I used to hate Schumacher, because he is the luckiest F1 driver to have lived but now that he's making a fool of himself most of the time, I now don't really mind him actually doing well. :lol:

I actually like Alonso because without the pantomime villain, F1 is boring and we have to thank him eternally for bringing Schumachers reign of terror to an end.

I used to be a die-hard McLaren fan until their soul-crushing 2007 shambles of a season. :(

I did not bother watching the 2002 season, and only started watching again after I'd read the results of the 2003 opener.

The angriest I've ever been at F1 was when I heard the news that Hamilton had been penalised at Spa 2008 and the less power the stewards have the better.

I am totally unsupportive of Group Lotus' unsustainable ventures in motorsport, including their F1 sponsorship and bankruptcy looks inevitable.

Edited by Disgrace, 19 January 2011 - 22:39.

#33 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:25

Motor racing would be better off without the tifosi.

:up: this.

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:27

Murray Walker was such a terrible commentator, I literally have NO IDEA how he ever got the job in the first place, let alone keep it for more than a couple races. The guy had no clue what was going on. Ever.

#35 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:30

You always write something that lightens the mood. I really enjoy your posts. :wave:

Awwww. I've gone all red :blush:

#36 D-man

D-man

• 265 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:30

In 2010 I supported Mark Webber for the championship because I am Australian. Deep down I knew he did not quite deserve to win.

#37 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:41

I love F1 and love going to races but I've not been to one for the last two years because I can think of better things to do with the stupid amounts of money it costs. Even now two weeks on a shitty all-inclusive beach resort looks better than a weekend in Monza. I love Monza.

It's impossible to reasonably compare drivers of different years, let alone era's, because things change so much. Any attempt to do so is ultimately futile.

The very best Formula 1 driver ever ever ever to walk the planet sadly chose not to pursue a motor sports career and is/was flipping burgers or collecting supermarket shopping trolleys in a car park somewhere.

#38 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:42

I think Kubica is a great driver but I'm pretty sure he will never win WDC, never drive for Ferrari, RBR or McLaren. I wouldn't be surprised if he would not win another race. Which is a shame ...

There are too many German drivers in F1 :rotfl:

I love BBC Formula 1 coverage

I'm not going to miss Hulkenberg

ohhh and I actually would love F1 to become greener and more economical

Edited by stillOrange, 19 January 2011 - 22:55.

#39 Willow Rosenberg

Willow Rosenberg

• 355 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:51

- The 107% rule is a bullshit way for the powers that be to cover their asses for letting 'unworthy' teams onto the grid in the first place. Every car to roll out of the pit lane for qualifying should be allowed on the grid.

Theres a reason its called 'qualifying'.

James Allen was quite good as commentators go (at least better than Murray or Legard), at least until the Lewisbot arrived, but that doesn't seem to be such a shocking opinion in this thread. He mostly seems to get the blame for ITVs editorial policy.

I also quite liked Mark Blundell.

I am a secret Fernando Alonso fan.

People who are disgusted by Max Mosleys private life disgust me.

Sometimes I want to scream at people who go on about Eau Rouge when they mean the Raidillon.

Advertisement

#40 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:55

- there has to be more coverage of Le Mans, WRC and IRC on (free) TV
- WRC could be awesome if there'd be more manufactures involed (Audi!, Opel, Toyota, Lancia)

- Alonso earns his nickname "Teflonso"
- F1 needs less reliable engines
- new Hockenheim is crap compared to the old track
- there might have been a tear or two in my eyes when MSchmacher cried at a PK even though at that time I haven't been a fan him :x
- guess I made a fool of myself when watching the final race of 2008 with some friends when I celebrated Hamilton overtaking Glock :p
- Heidfeld is underrated
- BMW are Sissies, just as Honda and Toyota... Renault are on their way to become one as well
- Mercedes (GP) earns a WDC or WCC asap for not being sissies as those mentioned above
- I want Stoddard back
- Renault's 2010 livery rocked, JP for 2011 is overrated

Edited by r4mses, 19 January 2011 - 22:56.

#41 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:09

Kimi clearly didn't care after he won the title :o(

#42 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:10

James Allen was actually pretty good!

#43 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:11

I want Schumacher to win - for the first time ever!!!! Just because he's the underdog.

#44 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:11

The very best Formula 1 driver ever ever ever to walk the planet sadly chose not to pursue a motor sports career and is/was flipping burgers or collecting supermarket shopping trolleys in a car park somewhere.

Rather, driving a white van, as Schumacher put it :)

#45 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:13

I used to really like Alonso (after kimi) but all the cheating Crash gate - Spy gate - and more recently Evil Beard gate put me right off him.... I still think he's one hell of a driver though and i just wish he was in a team with hamilton (any team) just as it was the best battle for 20 years!

#46 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:15

My confessions:

- I like open wheel cars racing on ovals.
- I liked the Williams walrus tusk car.
- I'm not opposed to customer cars, as long as they can't score constructors points.
- I want HRT to survive, the theory being that as long as they're on the grid at least there's a chance someone will help them become competitive.
- I was a great fan of Kimi and was happy when he won the title, after that it all went away, one of the greatest disappointments in the last decade for F1 and i no longer consider him that great.

Edited by Doughnut King, 19 January 2011 - 23:17.

#47 FSA

FSA

• 613 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:18

I used to hate Schumacher but now find him one of the most likeable drivers in F1, and I'm quite pleased to see him back.

#48 FSA

FSA

• 613 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:22

Why do we have to have an Indian driver just because there's an Indian Grand Prix this year?
And what happens when we get a driver from the Canary Islands?

Edited by FSA, 19 January 2011 - 23:22.

#49 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:28

I wish McLaren had got rid of Hamilton instead of Alonso at the end of 2007. I hate him but hes just brilliant.

I think having two Lotus teams is a joke, one should be told to change. probably Fernandes.

I wish HRT would just curl up and die. Karthikeyan FFS.

I sometimes wonder what I enjoy more in F1, Ferrari failing or McLaren winning.

#50 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,521 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:31

No overtaking + pitstops is not racing.

Formula 1 cars ought to be much more difficult to drive so that we could see who really is on top.

I very much like the new Nurburgring and have always disliked Hockenheim (the trees were nice).

Ayrton Senna was a madman (although I was impressed).

I wish most of the chicanes and artificial bends (as in MUlsanne) were removed.

Bring back Porsches 917 and Ferraris 512, and possibly the Fords Mk II

I could go on...