Photo

Where should Hamilton go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2212 replies to this topic

#1 De Jokke

De Jokke

• 818 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:03

With mcl producing another bad/mediocre car, I'm afraid lewis will leave mcl anytime soon.

Will he go to ferrari or rbr?

'cause merc is worse than mcl at the moment.

Ferrari is unlikely considering nando drives there and will be protesting for nr1 status.

RBR, if webbo gets the boot??

I do hope he stays at mcl but mcl should really give him a wdc-capable car.

Edited by De Jokke, 03 March 2011 - 11:03.

Advertisement

#2 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:08

With mcl producing another bad/mediocre car, I'm afraid lewis will leave mcl anytime soon.

Ferrari is unlikely considering nando drives there and will be protesting for nr1 status.

IMo Lewis would rather leave F1, than to change to another team if Macca produces not good enough cars the next 2 years
I could him see to make a "Kimi"

Edited by Bonaventura, 03 March 2011 - 11:09.

#3 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:13

IMo Lewis would rather leave F1, than to change to another team if Macca produces not good enough cars the next 2 years

In F1 there isn't much loyalty. Mclaren would gladly drop Lewis if he under-performs during the next two years. Thus Lewis should not have any loyalty to Mclaren if they provide him with a lacklustre car for the next two seasons. Both parties know this. Ferrari would welcome Lewis with open arms and Red Bull will be an option for him his they continue to impress.

#4 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:21

In F1 there isn't much loyalty. Mclaren would gladly drop Lewis if he under-performs during the next two years. Thus Lewis should not have any loyalty to Mclaren if they provide him with a lacklustre car for the next two seasons. Both parties know this. Ferrari would welcome Lewis with open arms and Red Bull will be an option for him his they continue to impress.

It's not about loyality,as long as Alonso at Ferrari, Lewis won't be welcome there, the same with Vettel and RBR
And F1 get's more and more to a carnival show, with faked rain races(if they come) adjustsable wings,
bad tyres etc.

#5 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:13

Hendrick Motorsports

#6 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:20

Amazing!! The season hasn't even begun & people have already written McLaren off. :stoned:

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:21

McLaren had a worse car in 2009 and managed to turn it around. I see no reason why they cannot get the MP4-26 up to speed.

#8 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:21

If he goes to Red Bull, I could see Webber at McLaren with Button in 2012.

#9 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:31

NASCAR or Le Mans

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:33

are ferrari really much better than mcl? more of a sideways step imo

#11 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:39

Yeah I bet Lewis is sick of having a car capable of a title in only 75% of his career so far. Geez, what's even worse is that he's had a winning car for 100% of his f1 career.

He really does need to think about jumping ship to another team, there are so many with a better record, even in recent times that can provide a better service. Mclaren are a dead-end team for Lewis with no hope.

... oh wait a sec.

#12 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:42

Boo hoo, he's never even driven a car that wasn't capable of a win.

Hamilton's worst car is still better then Rosberg's or Kubica's best car.

The sense of entitlement is pretty funny. Maybe you should make a 220 page topic about it.. oh wait...

The season hasn't even started yet.

#13 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:43

I don't think Hamilton would replace Webber at Red Bull. If Webber leaves, my money is on Kobayashi. Especially if he shows the same promise he did last year. The trick will be to beat the Toro Rosso drivers on a regular basis, because the STR6 is looking uncharacteristically strong.

#14 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:45

are ferrari really much better than mcl? more of a sideways step imo

they are certainly the two teams drivers dream of driving for. Lewis isn't done with McLaren just yet, so lets wait for the season to start before we start hunting for glory and writing everything off.

#15 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:46

for the love of all that is good the season hasn't even started yet. 2 years ago at around this point everybody and their aunt was certain Brawn would be just another midfield also-run. You guys should just chill

#16 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:47

McLaren had a worse car in 2009 and managed to turn it around. I see no reason why they cannot get the MP4-26 up to speed.

Sure, they can spend another year polishing their turd for the benefit of some respectable result in the last third of the season, thereby again binding time and resources that will hamper their efforts on the 2012 challenger.

#17 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:47

Where should Hamilton go?

I know where he won't go. Croydon.

#18 nickponty

nickponty

• 158 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:56

I'd love to see Hamilton in a Red Bull. Not sure what I'm basing this on but it feels like the best car/drive combo available. I'd love to see what Hamilton could do in the RB...

#19 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:59

I'd love to see Hamilton in a Red Bull. Not sure what I'm basing this on but it feels like the best car/drive combo available. I'd love to see what Hamilton could do in the RB...

Weve seen what Hammy can do in the best car/drive combo in 2007: he dropped it.

Advertisement

#20 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:02

This team and Ron Dennis in special put their money on Lewis when he was very young, he own them a little more loyality, maybe 2 more years.

#21 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:02

This team and Ron Dennis in special put their money on Lewis when he was very young, he own them a little more loyality, maybe 2 more years.

Agreed!

#22 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:03

Staying at Mclaren is his best choice for the moment IMO

However, I would like to see him go to another team.

Edited by AlanWake, 03 March 2011 - 14:03.

#23 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:04

Even if McLaren is another dog in 2009. league, still - Lewis had a WDC capable car 3/5 seasons in F1. I think staying at McLaren is quite a good bet for Lewis.

#24 beckenlima

beckenlima

• 235 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:05

Wherever I GO there are you trying to bash Hamilton or McLaren. Get a life, mate!

#25 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:07

For goodness sake he's evolved a little more since his first season, or were you joking?

#26 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:08

McLaren (Whitmarsh/Dennis) have said their investment in Lewis has paid off very well
and compared to other investments, the money they payed for Lewis training/sponsoring was "peanuts"
(this are not the exact words , but it was like this)

Edited by Bonaventura, 03 March 2011 - 14:09.

#27 metz

metz

• 15,873 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:09

Boo hoo, he's never even driven a car that wasn't capable of a win.
Hamilton's worst car is still better then Rosberg's or Kubica's best car.
The sense of entitlement is pretty funny.

I agree.
Maybe he should try a "not quite there" car by partnering with Heidfeld at Renault.
We know what Alonso and Kubica did with that team. Be interesting to see if Hamilton can do better.

Bottom line, he's not going anywhere. He's Ron's boy. Ron's new Finn.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:09

You never know how people's 2012 cars are going to turn out, so it's a gamble to switch teams on the same level. If you're in a Sauber sure you want to go to McLaren. But if you're already at McLaren you're better of staying there than trying to guess whether Red Bull or Ferrari will be better than you next year.

And remember kids, Red Bull have only been winners for the last two years. Would you have signed for Honda/Brawn or Red Bull at the end of the 2008 season?

#29 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:10

For goodness sake he's evolved a little more since his first season, or were you joking?

Ahh, the 'hes matured' routine.

Like the man said, hes groomed for 8 years at Mclaren, let him show some loyalty.

#30 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:11

Hysteria Lane once again... He is fine where he is.

#31 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:13

To top gear as the stig

#32 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:14

I know where he won't go. Croydon.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#33 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:15

He's a troll. Ignore.

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:15

Ahh, the 'hes matured' routine.

I trust you are resigned to the fact Vettel also hasn't got any chance of maturing seeing as he himself could have handed the WDC to anyone from Lewis to Fernando last season?

Oh wait but the RB6 was unreliable and he was unlucky with penalties. Yeah the circumstances can only suit the apple of one's eye, eh?

Give it a rest, all the top drivers in the sport are capable of winning the championship given the right car, including Hamilton. If you are of the thinking that a driver can't get any better than his first season, then you watch a very different sport to me. :rolleyes:

#35 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:18

Don't agree at all, he doesn't owe macca anything and they don't owe him anything.

Which is not to say he should move on but he should base his decision on what's best for his career.

Edited by robefc, 03 March 2011 - 14:18.

#36 Nom

Nom

• 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:21

LMAO - Last time McLaren produced a dog of a car he was making all sorts of noises about changing teams if he didn't get the equipment he needed - notthing will have changed

#37 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:24

Go home. Or go west.

#38 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:26

Hysteria Lane once again...

Pretty much.

I trust you are resigned to the fact Vettel also hasn't got any chance of maturing seeing as he himself could have handed the WDC to anyone from Lewis to Fernando last season?

Yea, but he didnt. He beat Hamilton and became the youngest world champion ever. And he aint even f1 material, according to Withmarsh.

If Hamilton wants to become a real F1 great, then this is the moment to show it and guide Mclaren to be the team to beat. And were not even sure wether this years mclaren is gonna be a dud or not :)

#39 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:35

How many years did Alonso owe Renault?

Advertisement

#40 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:03

Yea, but he didnt. He beat Hamilton and became the youngest world champion ever. And he aint even f1 material, according to Withmarsh.

Indeed I know that and you know that, but it wasn't so long ago we were debating 2008 and your stance that Lewis was a lucky champion who nearly choked in his instance. To use your term "he didn't" choke and beat his rivals whether fortune took a hand in the final race or not. You see Jack whats good for one driver is often good for another depending on which side of the fence you sit.

I think if you look at all the top drivers of today you can find flaws. Hamilton makes mistakes sometimes under pressure like crashing on the last lap of a race where points are guaranteed.. Vettel makes mistakes sometimes under pressure or in situations where he needs to overtake for the win and where he isn't necessarily on pole. Alonso is a solid driver but he too can make mistakes under pressure like crashing out in tricky conditions also. You see none of our current crop are perfect in their racecraft, but the ones mentioned are all WDC's and perfectly capable of getting the job done. :)

#41 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:13

How many years did Alonso owe Renault?

None, they didn't supported his family when he was a little boy, they didn't supported his karting career, Formula Nissan career and Formula 3000 career, Alonso owe anything to Renault, the "moral debt" was payed a long time ago with 4 titles (WDC x2, WCC x2).

Edited by kosmos, 03 March 2011 - 15:13.

#42 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:21

The cars haven't even turned a wheel in anger and you're acting like McLaren are backmarkers?

Why don't you calm down and give it a few weeks before you write off anyone....

#43 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:30

I hope he goes to RB, but I think Vettel will prevent that if he still drives there. Please Vettel go to Ferrari. :p

Lewis should not go to Ferrari, that is not an improvement as they are doing worse. RB seems to be the team to beat in this decade.

Edited by HAM, 03 March 2011 - 15:31.

#44 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:31

McLaren Inc in terms of resources overall is the best F1 team today and the foreseeable future no doubt I think. .Soo why should Hamster consider changing teams? Sure Red Bull is a temptation.But just like Brawn we looking at a flash in the pan i reckon.

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:32

None, they didn't supported his family when he was a little boy, they didn't supported his karting career, Formula Nissan career and Formula 3000 career, Alonso owe anything to Renault, the "moral debt" was payed a long time ago with 4 titles (WDC x2, WCC x2).

OK fair enough, I had a memory about that but I see it was Adrian Campos.

Anyway Lewis has repaid McLaren many times over for their outlay, it was only $4m or something, less than half a year's wages, or a couple of months at Ferrari.

Not that I agree with the OP at all, and I'm sure Hammy has no intention of leaving at this stage. This time next year, if the ~26 has been poor and maybe if Sebi is still going on about moving to Ferrari, we might have a real basis for speculating about a move when his contract runs out.

#46 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:32

McLaren Inc in terms of resources overall is the best F1 team today and the foreseeable future no doubt I think. .Soo why should Hamster consider changing teams? Sure Red Bull is a temptation.But just like Brawn we looking at a flash in the pan i reckon.

Because McLaren makes a top car in every 7 year and RB seem to have a top car in the last 2 seasons and likely have the best car for 2011 again (3 years a top car in a row).

Edited by HAM, 03 March 2011 - 15:33.

#47 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:34

Amazing!! The season hasn't even begun & people have already written McLaren off. :stoned:

Sad, isn't it?

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:35

McLaren last went without winning a race in what, 2006? And then 1996? So maybe Lewis should worry in 2015, but right now he's probably pretty chilled.

#49 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:35

Why don't you calm down and give it a few weeks before you write off anyone....

Several more weeks. :cool:

#50 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 15:41

why would rbr want to employ a outsider driver, str is there academy..