Sad news, but probably inevitable: :well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ristol-12641665

Advertisement

#2 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:11

ach, that really is a shame.

I'd have thought that Bristol would almost be small enough to survive - thay can't have massive overheads?

Hope an enthusiast can step up and save them and save at least some of the jobs.

#3 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:19

How do Morgan manage to continue to defy gravity, logic, economics - and the late Sir John Harvey-Jones?

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:28

How do Morgan manage to continue to defy gravity, logic, economics - and the late Sir John Harvey-Jones?

Possibly by building cars which are marginally more affordable than Bristols?

#5 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:59

:mad: JUST when it was confirmed to me by Tim Murray that Bristol Aircraft were manufactured in Bristol ..England..We read that Bristol Cars are in financial trouble...Perhaps Tim Murray...Hon.Secretary of the Bristol Pegasus Motor Club can tell us something about that ..Very Sad..News..

#6 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 649 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 20:42

It must be a strange feeling for Tony Crook, having been sole shareholder for 62 years - he was ousted a couple of years ago, and that's how long it went without him.

#7 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 20:44

Very sad, I've always fancied a 410. Currently reading the excellent Christopher Balfour book, a cracking read with some lovely photos.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:49

Perhaps Tim Murray...Hon.Secretary of the Bristol Pegasus Motor Club can tell us something about that.

Sorry Ron, but I know no more than you do, and this news is a shock. As a Bristol enthusiast and former owner, I'm very sad to hear this news. Let's hope they can be saved somehow.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 22:55

): What a shame! I'll have to change my dream of how to spend my lottery win.

#10 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:11

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've always admired the way Bristol Cars, my local vehicle manufacturer, has ploughed it's own way almost regardless of what the rest of the motor industry does, this is sad news indeed especially for all those who have dedicated their working lives to the company and now find themselves without a place to work.

Lets hope this is only a temporary set back and that the only company to make a vehicle that can challenge Bugatti for the title fastest car on the road can find someone to take on the privilege of putting Bristol back on its financial feet.

Edited by arttidesco, 03 March 2011 - 23:52.

#11 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:13

Perhaps BMW will take it on - now wouldn't that be ironic?

And what about Inspector Lynley?

#12 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:14

What a shame! I'll have to change my dream of how to spend my lottery win.

My sentiments too. Something I always wanted.
Perhaps they should have persevered with this for longer
Posted Image
seen at last year's Revival. Click on image for larger view. It has good Bristol credentials.
Roger Lund

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:35

Nice Pontiac 28DA De Luxe Roger :up:

Not sure about the Bristol credentials ?

#14 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 00:07

"We would urge any interested parties to make contact with us as quickly as possible and are confident that we can secure the future of this iconic British brand." says the man from the administrator.

It seems particularly sad that this fine marque should be downgraded to the status of brand.

Out of step I might be but I still see the word brand as describing the likes of Heinz, Tesco, Foster's, Ray-Ban, Nike and so on. :|

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 00:14

I thought it was a Packard Eight from the late 30s or just post war. The boot/trunk badge cited Packard Eight.
[imhttp://s3.postimage.org/1i8zwnxdw/P1070842.jpg[/img]

Posted Image
The car belonged to Sir George White and had been used for body styling exercises and tech developments for some time. When he sold his share in 1973 the car went into storage until quite recently when it was restored. I am surprised no other TNFers saw it there.
Click on the link for another pic, and on the image for a larger view of the 2nd shot.
Photos copyright Roger Lund
Roger Lund

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 00:47

I thought it was a Packard Eight from the late 30s or just post war. The boot/trunk badge cited Packard Eight.
[imhttp://s3.postimage.org/1i8zwnxdw/P1070842.jpg[/img]

Posted Image
The car belonged to Sir George White and had been used for body styling exercises and tech developments for some time. When he sold his share in 1973 the car went into storage until quite recently when it was restored. I am surprised no other TNFers saw it there.
Click on the link for another pic, and on the image for a larger view of the 2nd shot.
Photos copyright Roger Lund
Roger Lund

I have no recollection of any mention of a Packard Eight or Pontiac 28DA De Luxe being used by Sir George White or anybody else at Bristol as a test bed, certainly no mention or pics of it in Bristol Cars, A very British Story by Christopher Balfour which I have nearly finished reading ?

Just checked the index of Balfours book no mention of Packard or Pontiac.

HPI checked the registration and it came up Pontiac 28DA De Luxe 4112 cc manufactured in 1938.

Can anyone else shed any light on this story ?

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 00:51

"We would urge any interested parties to make contact with us as quickly as possible and are confident that we can secure the future of this iconic British brand." says the man from the administrator.

It seems particularly sad that this fine marque should be downgraded to the status of brand.

Out of step I might be but I still see the word brand as describing the likes of Heinz, Tesco, Foster's, Ray-Ban, Nike and so on. :|

:up:

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:19

HPI checked the registration and it came up Pontiac 28DA De Luxe 4112 cc manufactured in 1938.

Can anyone else shed any light on this story ?

There's another photo of the car on this page of 1938 Pontiacs in the UK (scroll down a bit):

http://www.pontiacuk.com/id31.html

but unfortunately there's no info about it.

#19 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:32

how do you find this stuff Tim ? :up:

So by all accounts HXF 817 is a Pontiac who do we find out if Sir George White ever owned it ?

Edited by arttidesco, 04 March 2011 - 01:32.

Advertisement

#20 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:23

So by all accounts HXF 817 is a Pontiac who do we find out if Sir George White ever owned ?

All I can do is repeat what the script on the badge says and the seemimgly very knowledgeable driver told me, unprompted, as if he had been asked before. It may all be a pack of nonsense. Perhaps a written enquiry to the DVLA might detailing the historical research nature of your enquiry might bring some replies, or a copy of the old log book. They are reputed to sell info to other parties quite readily.
Perhaps Tony Crook can throw light on it.
P1070764.jpg
Photo copyright Roger Lund
I often think that there must be an awful lot of stuff many TNFers do not see at some of these events, or perhaps I just like something different, and am too broad-church for some tastes
Roger Lund

#21 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 13:04

So by all accounts HXF 817 is a Pontiac who do we find out if Sir George White ever owned ? /quote]

All I can do is repeat what the script on the badge says and the seemimgly very knowledgeable driver told me, unprompted, as if he had been asked before. It may all be a pack of nonsense. Perhaps a written enquiry to the DVLA might detailing the historical research nature of your enquiry might bring some replies, or a copy of the old log book. They are reputed to sell info to other parties quite readily.
Perhaps Tony Crook can throw light on it.
Posted Image
Photo copyright Roger Lund
I often think that there must be an awful lot of stuff many TNFers do not see at some of these events, or perhaps I just like something different, and am too broad-church for some tastes
Roger Lund

I too am broad church Roger, love the unusual in the car park every time :up:

The boot / trunk badge of HXF 817 certainly confirms 'Pontiac Eight' :wave:

#22 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 13:43

Thinking back to what the driver told me, the name Masefield comes to mind. Any bells?
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 04 March 2011 - 16:55.

#23 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:22

The adminstrators quoted "a number of immediate redundancies" yesterday. Turns out that number is 22. Out of a total staff of 27.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ristol-12645501

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:51

Thinking back to what the driver told me, the name Masefield comes to mind. Any belles?
RL

Yes, I think we've cracked it. Here's what Roger posted last year in the Bristols at Filton thread:

Meanwhile, down at the Revival we had what was described to me as the ex Sir Peter Masefield, sp?, former Chairman of BAC, 1938 Pontiac 8 on show. It had been his at Filton for years where it was remodelled to his own particular taste, prior to beingleft in storage for some 40years. Most people probably missed it
Roger Lund

Sir Peter Masefield was managing director at the Bristol Aeroplane Company between 1956 and 1960.

#25 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:45

Coincidences coincide - This morning, I pulled into the newly rebuilt service station at the Stirling's Corner roundabout near the bottom of the A1, right behind a Bristol which was being filled with LPG. He hadn't heard the sad news, but seemed unconcerned, but particularly pleased that the paintwork was "unscratchable" - how very English.

#26 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:03

Yes, I think we've cracked it. Here's what Roger posted last year in the Bristols at Filton thread:

Sir Peter Masefield was managing director at the Bristol Aeroplane Company between 1956 and 1960.

Thanks Roger & Tim for filling in another piece of the Bristol jigsaw :up:

#27 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:05

Coincidences coincide - This morning, I pulled into the newly rebuilt service station at the Stirling's Corner roundabout near the bottom of the A1, right behind a Bristol which was being filled with LPG. He hadn't heard the sad news, but seemed unconcerned, but particularly pleased that the paintwork was "unscratchable" - how very English.

They do say termites not withstanding a Bristol should last a life time :up:

#28 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:58

Thanks, Tim.
RL

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:37

Bristol Cars has been bought by a company called Kamkorp Autokraft. There's more than a little historical irony in that Kamkorp Autokraft is described as "part of the Frazer-Nash group." Quite who Kamkorp Autokraft are and what they do seems a little obscure though. There seems to be some sort of Swiss connection and a couple of addresses in Bracknell and Camberley, but other than that :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ristol-13156326

BBC West's lunchtime news report doesn't say anything more than the above link. In fact less :rolleyes:

A little more hunting reveals that they're part of Frazer Nash Research Group, which is involved in powertrain and alternative automotive technology development:

http://www.frazer-nash.com/

(I also discovered that Tina Turner is or was a Bristol owner. I wonder if she had two?;) )

Edited by Vitesse2, 21 April 2011 - 12:51.

#30 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 13:14

Bristol Cars has been bought by a company called Kamkorp Autokraft. There's more than a little historical irony in that Kamkorp Autokraft is described as "part of the Frazer-Nash group." Quite who Kamkorp Autokraft are and what they do seems a little obscure though. There seems to be some sort of Swiss connection and a couple of addresses in Bracknell and Camberley, but other than that :confused:

(I also discovered that Tina Turner is or was a Bristol owner. I wonder if she had two?;) )

Perhaps, like the late LJK Setright, she believes that Bristols are Simply the Best

#31 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 13:33

Interesting or ironic that Tony Crook raced Frazer Nash products, perhaps not as they were Bristol powered.

#32 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 15:09

As I believe is (or at least was) that professional thug, Liam Gallagher.

Perhaps the change to having clients like would have made even Mr Crook look breifly on the bright side of his 'retiral'?

#33 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 16:38

This is great news Bristol :up:

It will be fascinating to see what plans Kampkorp Autokraft has in mind, seems like as sympathetic an owner as Bristol could of wished for, mindful of the Bristol heritage and with both feet planted firmly in the future :clap:

#34 venator

venator

• 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 19:48

Considering that both the post-war Bristol and Frazer Nash were based on pre-war BMW technology, this seems like a good fit, they have common heritage. I hope they can make a go of it.

#35 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:51

This is great news Bristol :up:

It will be fascinating to see what plans Kampkorp Autokraft has in mind, seems like as sympathetic an owner as Bristol could of wished for, mindful of the Bristol heritage and with both feet planted firmly in the future :clap:

Just a thought - I wonder if that Malaysian Lotus fellow knew Bristol were available when he grabbed Caterham.
Instant respectability; even moreso.

#36 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:59

Just a thought - I wonder if that Malaysian Lotus fellow knew Bristol were available when he grabbed Caterham.
Instant respectability; even moreso.

I imagine that chap from Virgin kept it quite after loosing his bet with the that Malaysian Lotus fellow  ;)

#37 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 14:54

Perhaps they should have persevered with this for longer
Posted Image
seen at last year's Revival. Click on image for larger view. It has good Bristol credentials.
Roger Lund

A full multi-page article on this car and its history appears in this month's C&SC
Roger Lund

#38 thatguy0101

thatguy0101

• 99 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 17:00

The new Motor Sport (Le Mans cover) has an interview with A Crook.

#39 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 19:42

Perhaps BMW will take it on - now wouldn't that be ironic?

And what about Inspector Lynley?

For some reason I got into my head that Lynley handled a French Facel-Vega of about 1957 vintage - only to find out that it was rather more a 1967 Bristol!

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 20 May 2011 - 19:43.

Advertisement

#40 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:59

Good news if you have a Bristol "gentleman's conveyance" in need of some TLC:

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

#41 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 16:46

I was wondering who the very smart Gentlemans conveyance belonged to just down the road from me :up:

#42 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 18:18

Interesting, but I had a chat with Toby Silverton, boss of Bristol Cars at the NEC last Friday, and he told me that they are still rebuilding old models, that production is about to restart, and that with funding from Frazer Nash there will be exciting new models in the future.
Chris