Photo

Prolific 65 North Street Clapham SW4

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:00

Alot has come out of one particular London address over the years: Palliser cars, Albert Betts, Roulin Racing, Gropa Cars, Davrian Cars. Anymore to add?

Advertisement

#2 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:27

Alot has come out of one particular London address over the years: Palliser cars, Albert Betts, Roulin Racing, Gropa Cars, Davrian Cars. Anymore to add?

September 73, new FF constructor- parts manufacturer Konig Heath Engineering of that hive of motor sport, 65 North Street Clapham. Car no 6 left the works bound for the USA. The car is a development of the Palliser.

Edited by richie, 04 August 2012 - 21:28.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:44

I think Gerry Birrell's F3 effort was also based there.

#4 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 20:39

Were the Nomads not run from there? I know Mark Konig had a 1964 BRM there from which he took the engine for an early Nomad.

#5 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 21:09

Palliser Cars built Daren Mk 3 G6's at 65 North Street in 1970.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:46

Palliser Cars built Daren Mk 3 G6's at 65 North Street in 1970.

So they did, I'd forgotten that.

#7 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:03

So they did, I'd forgotten that.

I contacted Hugh Dibley & Mark K asking for stories about North Street. From Mark Konig "Adrian Evans, who built the Davrian, was the Leaseholder of the whole yard. I first went there in early '67 reroofed and refloored my 'shed' I have at least one photo of the Yard and an A4 sheet .....sort of cartoon of the inhabitants which must have been after the Spring of 1971 as Konig Heath are portrayed as makers of mag wheels and the Nomad is not mentioned. From the first race of Nomad 1 which was May 31 '67, through Nomad 2 and 3 they were all always race prepared at 65 North St and Nomad 1 was even driven to its first race at Crystal Palace on the streets !.....Adrian went to Wales sometime after '72.

Konig Heath moved to a railway arch in Chiswick and ceased trading in the late seventies. If you worked all night on your racer which was not uncommon you could have breakfast across the road at The Ritz Cafe a real Greasy Spoon or next street up you could go to The Timbobin pub. Willie Tuckett had a Gropa there..never heard of Roulin Racing. In the 19th century the yard was home to carriage builders and parts of it were still cobbled. I wonder if the Howmet ever got to 65 North St ? Robs Lamplough drove Nomad 2 at Crystal Palace.

Please dont bother going there its now a housing estate.....nothing left.......all gone..with the wind ?"

#8 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:17

There is a wee bit about the address in the Davrian book (Davrian to Darrian) which tells a similar version of the story. Seems that the other companies all came and went to help Davrian pay the rent.

#9 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:05

MN did a feature on 65 in around 1970 , listing the tennants and thier projects I would have it filed away .,though it is not readily accessible .

#10 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:36

I contacted Hugh Dibley & Mark K asking for stories about North Street. From Mark Konig "Adrian Evans, who built the Davrian, was the Leaseholder of the whole yard. I first went there in early '67 reroofed and refloored my 'shed' I have at least one photo of the Yard and an A4 sheet .....sort of cartoon of the inhabitants which must have been after the Spring of 1971 as Konig Heath are portrayed as makers of mag wheels and the Nomad is not mentioned. From the first race of Nomad 1 which was May 31 '67, through Nomad 2 and 3 they were all always race prepared at 65 North St and Nomad 1 was even driven to its first race at Crystal Palace on the streets !.....Adrian went to Wales sometime after '72.

Konig Heath moved to a railway arch in Chiswick and ceased trading in the late seventies. If you worked all night on your racer which was not uncommon you could have breakfast across the road at The Ritz Cafe a real Greasy Spoon or next street up you could go to The Timbobin pub. Willie Tuckett had a Gropa there..never heard of Roulin Racing. In the 19th century the yard was home to carriage builders and parts of it were still cobbled. I wonder if the Howmet ever got to 65 North St ? Robs Lamplough drove Nomad 2 at Crystal Palace.

Please dont bother going there its now a housing estate.....nothing left.......all gone..with the wind ?"

Nomad Mk1 was built by Bob Curl in a shed near Rye, a shed which was liable to ingress by seawater; on one such occession Bob watched as mag wheels, supported by fizzing foam, floated out of the door.

#11 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 126 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:15

I seem to remember that there was still Davrian activity there in 1974. A friend of mine called Johnny Wallace (who had earlier engineered for Ulf Norinder in F5000) worked for Davrian in North Street that year while recuperating from an injury.

Christopher Wigdor