Photo

What´s wrong with Tabloid Press and their reporting of F1?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:38

OK, this topic is getting mentioned in the Vettel flaggate topic, and sometimes it´s going well OT, so let´s discuss it here:

Let´s speak openly about this: everyone makes mistakes. When I saw the video with the Kobayashi-Vettel incident, I thought there would be something happening about it. I didn´t know that given how similar the slippery ground flag and yellow flag look on these LED pannels, yellow blinked and red/yellow didn´t. I got fooled, but learned something new. Then the HRT incident was crystal clear for me as a fan: yellow flag zone was not reached, and you are not supposed to stop on the track to avoid passing someone yielding like that even if you´re under yellows. Again, when the TR incident was aired, I got fooled again: who would have seen the flag on that onboard?

But 3 days since the GP is over now, and there´s plenty of graphic evidence around clearing any doubt. If a regular fan with some interest can access to all that evidence, surely press covering the sport should have cleared their mind by now too, be it reading the forumers clearing it up, or by themselves. But it isn´t the case. I understand that in their try to report quickly they were fooled too, but backing out after it´s all cleared is the classy thing to do.

Yet, you can still read today this rubbish in Spanish sport press:

http://www.as.com/mo...laceComentarios
"Alonso should have won the title"

http://www.marca.com...1354040626.html
"Vettel, outside the rules" "the images are crystal clear: he passed under yellows, and should have taken a drive throught"

http://www.mundodepo...4356731350.html
Similar rubbish

Every single sports website reports in that fashion: considering the ilegal overtake obvious and blatant. Now comes the worst part: Spanish websites only about motorsport, and with F1 as main (and even only one) focus, fail too!!

http://www.caranddri...n-cambiar-manos

Now I won´t even bother mentioning the general press, you can imagine. The sport sections of our newscast give the issue similar approach than the sport newspaper.

I´m seriously struggling to see why is this happening still. What´s the probelm, are they clueless or malicious?? I thought it was the former, but there are reports written in a way that points out the other way: most of the news have down there a piece explaining that, despite the ilegal pass is evident, Ferrari has no hope because FIA has shown pro RB bias this year, after things like, hold your pants, "Vettel not taking a DT penalty after reckless driving behind the SC during the Singapore GP". Surely no one is that clueless. I see all this as a malicious campaign aimed to convince average Joe that this year´s title was lost AGAIN because the full sport conspirated against Ferrari/Alonso. Again we´ll have to listen on the street about this for years, like I still hear that Lewis Hamilton lost the 2007 title because he pressed the pitlane limiter button. Question is: Do we fans deserve this?

I´m sick of these guys, it´s outrageous that they have a dream job, following the sport around the world and getting well paid, and still fail badly in their job. There is thousands of fans in our country that would do their job better, and for half the money? WHY are they kept?

Advertisement

#2 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:49

Well in the German media today I saw an article with the heading "Alonso Once Again a Sore Loser", and the "evidence" for this was a quote in which he said, "we didn't win the title, but we won the respect of everyone in the paddock this year and they saw we were the best." The same German media who applauded Schumacher's pathetic and unsporting pulling over to let Vettel by but then scream about unfairness any time Massa has helped Alonso out.
It's just dumb nationalistic journalism and every country has it.

#3 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:49

They write what they expect the Spanish reader wants to read. The Contador saga was quite similar in this regard. In this sense the bar for quality is not set all too high.

Note that not even El Pais is doing a half-decent job.

In the end that happens if you let you bias disturb your judgement.

#4 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:53

Well in the German media today I saw an article with the heading "Alonso Once Again a Sore Loser", and the "evidence" for this was a quote in which he said, "we didn't win the title, but we won the respect of everyone in the paddock this year and they saw we were the best." The same German media who applauded Schumacher's pathetic and unsporting pulling over to let Vettel by but then scream about unfairness any time Massa has helped Alonso out.

Bingo. The way Kulta writes you would think he is doing PR for KR. So every country has their Stooges.

#5 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:55

This is more a problem with so called sports "journalism" rather than the country of origin of the media.

I guarantee you they are just repeating what they saw on forums.

#6 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:56

Spot on. It is not as if the SkyF1 lead commentator was the most objective, unbiased subject around...

#7 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:56

Sure there´s clueless/malicious people everywhere. The Sun, Bild, Fox... there´s crap or biased newspapers/media everywhere. But what the hell, EVERY single Spanish media got it wrong!! Including motorsport and F1 specialized media!! It´s unforgivable.

And no, they don´t write what the Spanish reader wants to read: I want to read what actually happened. They´re wasting the chance to raise a proper F1 fanbase for the future, and treating us like fools. And they it must work for them, because these guys keep their jobs, even more, they get invited and get screen time in the actual F1 forecast. It´s just outrageous.

#8 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:00

They actually ARE doing their job, just not the way you'd expect them to. Today's mass media generally has two objectives. To make money or to push whatever agenda it's ownership wants it to. In this case it's simply a business decision. They know a lot more passionate Alonso fans are going to buy their paper if they make it sound like he was robbed, as it springs their curiosity. People love controversy and drama. There's no point in getting worked up about journalistic integrity here, they don't care about being right or wrong, it's simply infotainment.

#9 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:00

I think you are touching on a very important subject. The way media wants to cater to its audience and the local community feeling. I don't think this is restricted to just Spanish media. I think it is there in every country, but may be less in some and more in some others. It is sad.

There are so many mistakes in this that there is no excuse. Mistakes at many layers. If you are a reporter, first make sure you have evidence for what you are claiming. If not, follow the topic well enough so that you at least gather info from other people who prove it wrong. Then, retract the statements with an apology. But most of them don't do any of these.

Edited by SpaMaster, 28 November 2012 - 18:00.

#10 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:02

Whats wrong with Spanish tabloid media?

I suspect most tabloid media in any country suffers from sensationalism at various times.

#11 Collective

Collective

• 1,525 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:03

They are still in the denial stage of grief.

http://en.wikipedia....bler-Ross_model

#12 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:04

That´s the best piece of info you´ll find about the incident in Spain actually. It bothers explaining the three incidents separatedly, and it mentions all the facts you need to know. Sure the title should be more clear, but the text clears it up well enough if you ask me. It´s a general newspapers, and it´s better than any F1/motorport media I´ve read.

#13 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:04

Sure there´s clueless/malicious people everywhere. The Sun, Bild, Fox... there´s crap or biased newspapers/media everywhere. But what the hell, EVERY single Spanish media got it wrong!! Including motorsport and F1 specialized media!! It´s unforgivable.

And no, they don´t write what the Spanish reader wants to read: I want to read what actually happened. They´re wasting the chance to raise a proper F1 fanbase for the future, and treating us like fools. And they it must work for them, because these guys keep their jobs, even more, they get invited and get screen time in the actual F1 forecast. It´s just outrageous.

I think you are spot on. In every country you have the gutter press but not quite the party line which emerges from Spain. I browsed through quite some and I have not found a critical article about it. I hope there is one, maybe another person can find.

#14 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:05

They write what they expect the Spanish reader wants to read. The Contador saga was quite similar in this regard. In this sense the bar for quality is not set all too high.

In the end that happens if you let you bias disturb your judgement.

"Even" El País? Why the "even"? If you tell me about dumb journalism in Spain that newspaper comes to my mind as one of the dumbest. The general information AND the sports section.

Edited by MrMontecarlo, 28 November 2012 - 18:07.

#15 medb

medb

• 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:05

They are still in the denial stage of grief.

http://en.wikipedia....bler-Ross_model

:up:

#16 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:07

Lol.

You should have read some of that stuff that was spouted towards Hamilton in 2007 by Carlos Miguel et al........ And even by the likes of that tosser Kevin Eason in the UK press.......

This is barely a little hissy-fit :smoking:

#17 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:07

That´s the best piece of info you´ll find about the incident in Spain actually. It bothers explaining the three incidents separatedly, and it mentions all the facts you need to know. Sure the title should be more clear, but the text clears it up well enough if you ask me. It´s a general newspapers, and it´s better than any F1/motorport media I´ve read.

For a decent job I would have expected better then that. It about proving that it is illegal not proving it is legal.

Las imágenes se centran en tres adelantamientos supuestamente ilegales del piloto de Heppenheim a Jean-Éric Vergne, Kamui Kobayahsi y Pedro de la Rosa, aunque su visionado y análisis no despejan las dudas, más bien todo lo contrario.

In any case I have to defend the rest of the recent F1 coverage of El Pais. They have done a pretty good job and are my favorite Spanish newspaper for other reasons as well.

I remember all too well the way Lewis was treated by some of the very same newspapers. Nationalistic c*** at it's finest. It is not black and white but the Spanish newspapers seems to gravitate more towards the black then let us say the German one, which has also it's Bild but a broader quality press.

Edited by H2H, 28 November 2012 - 18:13.

#18 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:11

For a decent job I would have expected better then that. It about proving that it is illegal not proving it is legal.

Well, yes, I agree they should have been braver about that, and calling it what it is: bollocks. You´re right.

But hey, if you read the part where the three incidents are explained, it passes the fairness text. They mention the Sauber pass being done under red/yellow flags and not yellows, they mention the HRT was passed before yellow zone, and they mention the steward with the green flag in the TR incident. It´s all there, and it´s the only piece of info I read that can say that.

#19 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:12

Plenty.

Any journalism running this story would have first checked to see if there is any evidence for a rule breach. But no, they are too busy being fanboys and saying that everything is clear. And it isn't.

Advertisement

#20 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,962 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:17

Only for (color)blind people, it is not clear that Vettel did an overtake under yellows. :drunk:

#21 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:18

Well, yes, I agree they should have been braver about that, and calling it what it is: bollocks. You´re right.

But hey, if you read the part where the three incidents are explained, it passes the fairness text. They mention the Sauber pass being done under red/yellow flags and not yellows, they mention the HRT was passed before yellow zone, and they mention the steward with the green flag in the TR incident. It´s all there, and it´s the only piece of info I read that can say that.

You are right in that part they explained at least the issue, as it should normally be the case in a decent article :up:

Edited by H2H, 28 November 2012 - 18:18.

#22 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:20

"Aunque, según parece, un comisario equipado con una de estas banderas verdes, colocado en el margen derecho de la pista le ofrece paso y le legitima a hacerlo. Este marshall solo se puede identificar en las imágenes en alta definición."

They got it it right. El Pais is no tabloid newspaper. I am surprised I still can understand spanish a bit :)

#23 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:22

"Aunque, según parece, un comisario equipado con una de estas banderas verdes, colocado en el margen derecho de la pista le ofrece paso y le legitima a hacerlo. Este marshall solo se puede identificar en las imágenes en alta definición."

They got it it right. El Pais is no tabloid newspaper. I am surprised I still can understand spanish a bit :)

What surprises me is how much noise are they making of a non-story...

I am sure all the media outlets in Spain have read the El Pais report by now.

I would be surprised if most of them have not verified their claims regarding the marshall and the green flag.

Yet, for business purposes, it is better to let the waters raise...

#24 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:25

So, the usual Alonso haters concerned by the F1 treatment on Spanish media, heart touching :( Maybe German media is more to your liking, they sing the same song you do, Alonso is the devil and all of that.

I think you missed the point of this thread, entirely.

#25 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:27

They do.

There's a bit of a difference between posting extreme opinions, and outright lies, though - don't you think?

I mean, I could be called a completely biased idiot if I wrote a story saying that Hamilton was an unpleasant character (I don't think he is - this is hypothetical). But if I claimed Alonso jumped the start at Austin and that there's a an FIA cover up to keep the championship close, that's a bit of a step further, isn't it? That's more than just having a silly opinion, that's downright lying.

#26 Apex

Apex

• 2,419 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:29

Whats wrong with Spanish tabloid media?

I suspect most tabloid media in any country suffers from sensationalism at various times.

Apparently it's not just the tabloids though.

#27 superuser

superuser

• 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:32

They do.

There's a bit of a difference between posting extreme opinions, and outright lies, though - don't you think?

I mean, I could be called a completely biased idiot if I wrote a story saying that Hamilton was an unpleasant character (I don't think he is - this is hypothetical). But if (again, for example) I claimed Alonso jumped the start and that there's a an FIA cover up, that's a bit of a step further, isn't it?

I'm not sure most people make any difference. The journalism is not about the truth any longer. It's about the juicy story, event if it's demonstrably false. Any serious media shoudl fire or at least force to publicly apologize the editor, which runs a story without fact checking. But not anymore. Now everyone runs opinion and mask them as facts. It's one thing to do this in a forum, and other in official publication.

#28 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:32

I think you missed the point of this thread, entirely.

Not really, ask yourself why this is questioned today when the level of Spanish (so called) sport newspapers has been discussed to death and are known by everyone to be of no use, specially regarding F1 matters. Of course they're are s***t, that's why I never waste my time reading those websites.

#29 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:33

I'm not sure most people make any difference. The journalism is not about the truth any longer. It's about the juicy story, event if it's demonstrably false. Any serious media shoudl fire or at least force to publicly apologize the editor, which runs a story without fact checking. But not anymore. Now everyone runs opinion and mask them as facts. It's one thing to do this in a forum, and other in official publication.

Too true, and sadly a problem the world over.

#30 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:37

Any serious media shoudl fire or at least force to publicly apologize the editor, which runs a story without fact checking. But not anymore. Now everyone runs opinion and mask them as facts. It's one thing to do this in a forum, and other in official publication.

:up:

As I said, I got fooled initially too. But if my job was to report about it in a newspaper, I should keep my cool and check by myself if it was right. And after that, if I still make a mistake -let´s say I fail to see the green flag exiting T3, which would be reasonable-, taking the article down and apologize is the less you can do.

#31 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:39

Not really, ask yourself why this is questioned today when the level of Spanish (so called) sport newspapers has been discussed to death and are known by everyone to be of no use, specially regarding F1 matters. Of course they're are s***t, that's why I never waste my time reading those websites.

This thread is fully justified. They have hit a new low. And this time they have made really hard for themselves to fall deeper on the ****. If it makes you itchy, don´t read.

#32 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:46

Biased local media? Never in my lifetime. :drunk:

#33 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:50

This thread is fully justified. They have hit a new low. And this time they have made really hard for themselves to fall deeper on the shit. If it makes you itchy, don´t read.

In all honesty, I think that the ones who have hit a new low are the ones who are making a big issue out of these comments. You make it sound as if they made it to the headlines of every single Spanish paper, when in fact I have had to search for the articles mentioning such a thing. Plus, I haven't yet been seen any of that evidence you claim has been provided to show that Vettel's overtake of Vergne was not under yellows, other than a pic of a green flag being shown in a different lap to the one in which the overtaking took place.

I don't think that it is worth it to review the results because of this incident; but to negate the incident is absurd, and some of the attacks I have read here towards those who think yellow flags prevailed are simply unacceptable.

As for those stating that tabloids are over the top everywhere, you are spot on - thank you for bringing some common sense into this thread.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 28 November 2012 - 18:51.

#34 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:53

I think this thread should focus on the media, especially the Spanish papers with Alonsos behaviour not being part of it.

Let us take a look at the Gazzetta, which is obviously pro-Ferrari.

I soliti sospetti. Ancora non si erano placate le discussioni sulla flessibilità del muso della Red Bull riscontrata nel GP di Abu Dhabi (quello dell'impatto di Vettel contro un tabellone di polistirolo), che un altro caso getta un'ombra sul titolo conquistato dal tedesco, con un sorpasso in regime di bandiere gialle che, se sanzionato, avrebbe invertito l'esito del mondiale. Nel caotico GP di San Paolo, infatti, Vettel chiamato alla rimonta iridata dall'ultima posizione per effetto del tamponamento in avvio di Senna, avrebbe compiuto dei sorpassi non regolari. Sotto accusa, stavolta, non è quello a Kobayashi effettuato in regime, non di bandiera gialla, ma giallorossa (pista scivolosa), quindi regolare, ma quello avvenuto nelle prime fasi di gara ai danni di una Toro Rosso, in regime di panelli gialli accesi.

Note that i talks about 'a shadow on the WDC'. Still it does a pretty good at informing the reader especially in this part:

la manovra incriminata — Da alcuni video ripresi dalla camera car dello stesso Vettel, apparsi sul web e rilanciati in maniera ormai virale ogni ora che passa - soprattutto dai siti spagnoli, molto attenti e 'caldi' sulla vicenda - si vede il pilota tedesco che affronta la "S" di Senna con le luci gialle accese - quindi divieto di sorpasso - esce dalla curva sempre in regime di 'giallo' (pannello visibile sulla destra del video), affronta il rettilineo con un Toro Rosso davanti, che viene superata con una manovra che inizia quando già si vede in lontananza il pannello acceso del verde davanti a sé, ma prima di passargli davanti. Il tutto, con le spie gialle ancora illuminate sul cruscotto, che aiutano il pilota a ricordare che si è in zona di bandiera gialla - e quindi di sorpasso vietato -, e che si spengono solo in corrispondenza del pannello illuminato verde. L'episodio dovrebbe risalire al 4° giro, quando Vettel era 18° e stava rimontando e l'interpretazione sulla sua correttezza o meno è sottilissima. Nei fatti, il sorpasso inizia e si conclude in regime di bandiere gialle, perché si completa appena prima del passaggio davanti al pannello verde, visibile però - almeno pare - al pilota, seppur a distanza, quando Seb ha avviato la manovra.

It talks about the Spanish sites being 'hot' about the issue and makes a decent description of the event, if lacking in the arguments against the suppossed illegality. It explains that in any case that the interpretation of the correctness of supposed infringment is a very fine one.

Despite being far from perfect it is head and shoulder above some of the stupidity coming from many Spanish sites.

Edited by H2H, 28 November 2012 - 18:53.

#35 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:53

In all honesty, I think that the ones who have hit a new low are the ones who are making a big issue out of these comments. You make it sound as if they made it to the headlines of every single Spanish paper, when in fact I have had to search for the articles mentioning such a thing. Plus, I haven't yet been seen any of that evidence you claim has been provided to show that Vettel's overtake of Vergne was not under yellows, other than a pic of a green flag being shown in a different lap to the one in which the overtaking took place.

I don't think that it is worth it to review the results because of this incident; but to negate the incident is absurd, and some of the attacks I have read here towards those who think yellow flags prevailed are simply unacceptable.

As for those stating that tabloids are over the top everywhere, you are spot on - thank you for bringing some common sense into this thread.

To negate what incident? That Vettel overtook under green flag, which can be seen from the video they are using as evidence?

*sigh*

#36 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:59

It is too much to ask them to write "Alonso had a terrific season in which he took the Ferrari as far as possible but it wasn't enough for the title".

#37 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,569 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:01

I've no idea what percentage of the Spanish press is trash, but I'm surprised they're still at it. Most of the British tabloids would of been back to football by now.

#38 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:04

It will all blow over in a bit; it will begin trickling out slowly, and come to a finale when the newspapers cannot generate the same excitement on the topic.

It is a shame that they have evidence to refute the claims they are making and they make them anyway. We don't have that in F1 reporting in the USA. I have not even seen the topic raised at all. We just have the final race recap and championship results.

I don't mean to make it sound like we are not beseiged with the same problems - it is just that all the drama queen sensationalism is largely reserved for basketball, football and baseball - and to a lesser degree, hockey. The rest of the sports get a fairly straight forward accounting. Even when there is the occassional bias, generally, it is because of copy and paste reporting as opposed to actual writer opinion.

Edited by bourbon, 28 November 2012 - 19:08.

#39 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:04

The thread is purely for discussion of the media's treatment of the "overtaking under yellow flags" claims.

It is not for discussion of the drivers involved, or any of their post-season comments.

Advertisement

#40 prty

prty

• 8,460 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:06

In any case I have to defend the rest of the recent F1 coverage of El Pais. They have done a pretty good job and are my favorite Spanish newspaper for other reasons as well.

How coincidental is to like that newspaper and dislike Alonso ;)

Biased local media? Never in my lifetime. :drunk:

Exactly, being subtle and poisoned like British press, or openly desperate like Spanish press, the phenomenon is everywhere.

A few days ago German's Bild told Vettel to be careful with the "Spanish junk HRT", because they would want to crash into Vettel, I wonder where the press police of this thread was then.

Edited by prty, 28 November 2012 - 19:09.

#41 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:09

Plus, I haven't yet been seen any of that evidence you claim has been provided to show that Vettel's overtake of Vergne was not under yellows, other than a pic of a green flag being shown in a different lap to the one in which the overtaking took place.

Of for God´s sake, go have a look, there´s video evidence around here of the same steward weaving the same flag in the same spot a lap later.

And yes, this info is in the first page of general newspapers like El Mundo, and was mentioned in the hightlights of newscast of main TV channels like Antena 3. What else you want?? Isn´t that enough?

#42 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:14

Exactly, being subtle and poisoned like British press, or openly desperate like Spanish press, the phenomenon is everywhere.

No, it´s not the same everywhere.

-Spanish tabloids did report this crap story / other country´s tabloids would surely report this story.

-Spanish serious general press and media did report this crap story / other country´s serious general press and medio wouldn´t have reported this crap story.

-Spanish motorsport websites report this story / other country´s motorsport websites DID NOT report this story.

#43 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:00

To negate what incident? That Vettel overtook under green flag, which can be seen from the video they are using as evidence?

*sigh*

Could you please provide that evidence (I have asked in the other thread too), instead of sighing, which is neither useful nor constructive? Thanks.

#44 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:03

No, it´s not the same everywhere.

-Spanish tabloids did report this crap story / other country´s tabloids would surely report this story.

-Spanish serious general press and media did report this crap story / other country´s serious general press and medio wouldn´t have reported this crap story.

-Spanish motorsport websites report this story / other country´s motorsport websites DID NOT report this story.

Nonsense. I recommend that you review the British newspapers in 2007, for example.

#45 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:09

They are right. They smell controversy. And controversy sells!

Edited by Smile17, 28 November 2012 - 20:11.

#46 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:11

I've no idea what percentage of the Spanish press is trash, but I'm surprised they're still at it. Most of the British tabloids would of been back to football by now.

Well, let me give you the hard facts about how much noise the Spanish press is making - that way you can all make up your minds, rather than reading different opinions here, don't you think? :)

El Mundo:
- main page: http://www.elmundo.e...mp;t=1354132921
- sports page: http://www.elmundo.e...orte/index.html
- F1 page: http://www.elmundo.e...porte/formula1/

El Pais:
- main page: http://elpais.com/
- sports page: http://deportes.elpais.com/
- F1 page: http://deportes.elpa...ag/formula_1/a/

And the much maligned sports tabloids:
- Marca: http://www.marca.com/
- As: http://www.as.com/
- Sport: http://www.sport.es/es/
- Mundo Deportivo: http://www.mundodeportivo.com/

Edited by Fontainebleau, 28 November 2012 - 20:13.

#47 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:29

A few days ago German's Bild told Vettel to be careful with the "Spanish junk HRT", because they would want to crash into Vettel, I wonder where the press police of this thread was then.

:rotfl:

#48 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:42

How coincidental is to like that newspaper and dislike Alonso ;)

You connected two articles in your mind. Bild reported about the "Spanish junk HRT" because of the rumors they used unsafe material. Another was about the "his friends" and his
"enemies" on the grid and the possibility that certain drivers would risk a crash in a fight because the do not care about Vettel. Both articles were interlinked with the word "crash danger". Point one : your comment is a completely make up (like Bild use to do). Point two we speak about the german Bild-Zeitung and not the huge amount of papers like in this case of the spanish newspapers. So I don't see your point here

Edited by 1Devil1, 28 November 2012 - 20:43.

#49 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:59

They actually ARE doing their job, just not the way you'd expect them to. Today's mass media generally has two objectives. To make money or to push whatever agenda it's ownership wants it to. In this case it's simply a business decision. They know a lot more passionate Alonso fans are going to buy their paper if they make it sound like he was robbed, as it springs their curiosity. People love controversy and drama. There's no point in getting worked up about journalistic integrity here, they don't care about being right or wrong, it's simply infotainment.

The problem with that approach is that you cannot fool all of your readers all the time. Some people are going to recognize when a newspaper/-portal is twisting stories and telling outright lies in order to attract more readers. The tabloids may not give a flying fart about this but other newspapers that have a reputation to lose will shoot themselves in the foot in the long term.

#50 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:06

Agreed, and you can draw a parallelism with F1 in this case.

The objective of papers is to sell, to make money, no matter how. In this case, they print what most people want to read and will make them buy the papers. Ethics in reporting the truth? Nahh, the important thing is the end result.

F1 is not so different. For example, this year at Austin: Ferrari wanted to win the WDC because it gives money, power, prestige (supposedly). To attain this objective they acted unethically by using something that, although legal, was morally questionable. The important thing was the end result.

I guess the lesson is don't go to certain media if you want the truth and don't go to F1 if you want to see motor racing as a sport.