Photo

Goodwood Revival 2013

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:49

I have just had an email about the Goodwood Revival 2013. It will be the turn of the Ford GT40 to have a one-make race in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its "genesis". I know a number of TNF folk are not so keen on this trend. They will be contesting the Whitsun Trophy. Any thoughts? Personally I'd rather see a batch of Ford GTs up against other cars of its period.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:43

Does anyone know what is happening? The website under "Races" appears to list the 2012 races, including the Cobra Cup one make race for Cobras but in the headlines says the Whitsun Trophy will be GT40s only in 2013.

Incidentally, to avoid confusion please note there is a separate thread for the 2013 Festival

#3 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 23:50

Oh no! one make series are the curse of interesting racing, and not What Goodwood should be / was about.

The Whitsun Trophy is a highlight of the weekend. This plan will ruin it.

:confused:

#4 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:43

Could there be an early 911 only race next year for 901's and stuff?

#5 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06

I think the press release mentions its a race for proper GT40s in which case it will be a small grid !!!!!!!!!

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 16:34

Good news if you are fans of the 250LM

MORE MID-ENGINED MOTOR RACING MAGIC AT THE 2013 GOODWOOD REVIVAL

Further to the recent announcement that Goodwood will be staging a unique all-Ford GT40 race at this yearā€™s Goodwood Revival (13-15 September) to mark 50 years since development of this exceptional mid-engined Anglo-American racer began, another legendary mid-mounted endurance racer will now also be competing at this Septemberā€™s event.

Like the Ford, the revered Ferrari 250 LM celebrates its half century this year, having premiered at the Paris salon late in 1963. Also like the Ford, the 250 LM went on to win the Le Mans 24 Hours race, with the North American Racing Team-entered car ā€“ driven by Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory ā€“ taking the chequered flag in the 1965 event. This remains the last time Ferrari took overall victory in the French endurance classic.

The 250 LM raced in the Tourist Trophy at Goodwood in 1964, where it finished fourth, and last competed in this race in the modern era at the Revival in 2000. An example of the Ferrari has also run in the Whitsun Trophy race at the Revival in various years.

For the 2013 Revival, a number of 250 LMs will be returning to the prestigious Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration race for the first time in 13 years, campaigning against fierce competition from Ferrari 250 GTOs, AC Cobras, lightweight Jaguar E-types, Maserati 151s, Aston Martin DB4s, and many other rare and mouth watering machines to create the most valuable historic motor race in the world.

#7 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 16:52

Good news if you are fans of the 250LM

The Ferarri 250/275 LM remains one of my favourite cars. However, I'm not sure that the GTO, Cobra, E-type and Aston contingent will welcome them in with open arms. A well prepared and well-driven LM should be more than a match for any front-engined car. Still, we shall see and I look forward to their presence. I still have my old Corgi Toy model of the car!

#8 plyspeed

plyspeed

• 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:53

WasnĀ“t it 1964, when the GT40 had its first race at the 1000km at Nurburgring. so why 2013 the 50th anniversary. ...??? 1963 was the year of the Lola mk6, the forerunner of the GT 40. This should be mentioned.
One make races are absolutly unhistoric, boring, and not the right way to get attractions to this event.

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:10

The Ferarri 250/275 LM .... A well prepared and well-driven LM should be more than a match for any front-engined car. Still, we shall see and I look forward to their presence. ...

OT a bit, perhaps, but Surtees in Piper's 250LM in practice at the 1999 or 2000 Revival demonstrated what a maestro in a car was all about, age notwithstanding. Please see post 12 below.
http://forums.autosp...;hl=masterclass
I can still feel the sensation of watching JS from Woodcote stand, on a near empty track. Sublime.
Hope it's not too fluffy....
Roger Lund

#10 David Wright

David Wright

• 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:51

Since both GT40 and LM250 share a 50th birthday and both ran in FIA Group 4 it seems a shame they are not racing each other. While its true the LM ran in the TT they were not really racing against the GTs which they will be in the Revival. Enzo would be very happy though!

#11 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10

Since both GT40 and LM250 share a 50th birthday and both ran in FIA Group 4 it seems a shame they are not racing each other. While its true the LM ran in the TT they were not really racing against the GTs which they will be in the Revival. Enzo would be very happy though!

I do loathe these one-make races.

But I like mixing the protos and GTs in the Tourist Trophy. Why only the Ferraris I wonder?

I personally would remove all CanAms from the Whitsun Trophy and try to fill it with Porsche, Ferrari, GT40, etc. Or at least vary it year-to-year, as with other races at the Revival.

#12 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:59

The Trust celebrating 50 years of McLaren at the Revival....

Posted Image

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 18:36

Latest Revival news
http://www.goodwood....=rev-gen-18ap13

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24

Saturday is already sold out, scuppering my plans for a three day visit to the Revival almost two months ahead of the event. ):

#15 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:21

Saturday is already sold out, scuppering my plans for a three day visit to the Revival almost two months ahead of the event. ):

Afaik, week-end tickets are still available, covering Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Ordered mine last week, and just had confirmation that they are en route for Norway.

#16 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 15:10

Despite the fact that we will be on THAT side of the Atlantic on that particular weekend we have decided to give Goodwood a miss and go to Angeloume instead-less expensive and far less crowded.

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 21:10

Despite the fact that we will be on THAT side of the Atlantic on that particular weekend we have decided to give Goodwood a miss and go to Angeloume instead-less expensive and far less crowded.

For the first time in ages, they are actually on different weekends this year, David

#18 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:45

Bu**er!!

#19 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:10

Afaik, week-end tickets are still available, covering Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Ordered mine last week, and just had confirmation that they are en route for Norway.

That was last week......... :well:

Advertisement

#20 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:22

Have you already got a list of drivers "Who is driving what" this year, please?

#21 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 18:30

There's nothing on the Goodwood website yet. They have last years which I expect will be fairly similar

But I see you can now buy infield parking tickets, arrival by helicopter, corporate hospitality packages and other goodies. Have they got their priorities wrong?

#22 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 18:52

There's nothing on the Goodwood website yet. They have last years which I expect will be fairly similar

But I see you can now buy infield parking tickets, arrival by helicopter, corporate hospitality packages and other goodies. Have they got their priorities wrong?

While "they" subsidise the cost of me watching great cars and drivers racing, I can live with it ...

#23 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46

Maserati 151 pre-Revival testing earlier this week

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by bill p, 11 August 2013 - 09:47.

#24 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 18:02

With only a month left to go there does seem to be a lack of information about this year's races, cars and competitors. I may be imagining it, but in the past it seemed that once the Festival of Speed was over Revival news would start to filter out. It may be the case that those who just go for the "Goodwood Experience" may not be too concerned, but for the enthusiast a bit more information would be welcome to help whet the appetite. As you suggest, the format will no doubt be similar, but the organsiers do seem to be keeping their cards very close to their collective chests.

#25 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 22:20

I think I read somewhere that all normal tickets had been sold, in which case publicity is not needed any more.

Or perhaps the publicity is being done in the manner and media of the 1950s

#26 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:26

In previous years a local newspaper group in Hampshire and West Sussex has offered a deal of a free Friday ticket with any Saturday or Sunday ticket bought through them; for last year's Revival and this year's Festival there seem to have been far fewer tickets allocated to the papers than in previous years.

There does not appear to be such a deal in place for the forthcoming Revival; perhaps Goodwood have decided that they have a strong-enough product not to need any incentives, and that their business model will be stronger for it. 

Paul M

#27 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:08

I'm sure everybody is looking forward to the daily parade of bicycles.

#28 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:33

Don't say 'bicycle' as it upsets Bauble!

At least it gives you time to visit Pooks or Chaters and not miss anything - but considering budget constraints, is that a good thing?  :confused:

Alternatively, if they were to publish a timetable [imagine a flying pig smiley here], we could even plan the TNF get together to coincide with one of the parades.

#29 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:39

Don't say 'bicycle' as it upsets Bauble!

At least it gives you time to visit Pooks or Chaters and not miss anything - but considering budget constraints, is that a good thing?  :confused:

Alternatively, if they were to publish a timetable [imagine a flying pig smiley here], we could even plan the TNF get together to coincide with one of the parades.

I dont think that the old boy follows this forum any more, but I think it was the term 'Push Bike' that he rightly objected to. As I am sure he would have reminded me, I rode his 'Frejus' bike in the 1957 Festival Of Bognor Regis Grand Prix at Goodwood after my own maching failed scrutineering!. :cool:

#30 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:51

So the first Festival of Speed at Goodwood wasn't 1993 :lol:

#31 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 20:05

More like the Festival of Not-Much-Speed....

Every year it seems Goodwood introduce some new gimmick, and then it stays on the programme every subsequent year, like the GAS (show-offs on mountain bikes with deafening commentary) at the Festival, and the pedal-cars at the Revival - only the soapboxes have disappeared, for safety reasons.

And then this year there' a 'celebration' of a cycle race, for heaven's sake - what's that got to do with the price of fish?

All of this 'diversionary' nonsense puts more time pressure on the motor-racing which most go to see, and which the owners pay a lot to take part in (like actors paying to be in a show).

A friend who has been going for years in his classic car decided to skip it this year because it's too expensive for a day's entertainment - he's still being bombarded with sales messages about a 'privilege' carpark for which they'd like him to pay even more. His blood-pressure is getting higher than mine...

Goodwood steadfastly refuse to advertise the raceday timetables, unlike 'normal' race circuits, as they want everyone to buy their expensive souvenir programme to get the racecard; in the past few years I've printed the practise timed sheets on the Friday night to get the race entries and numbers without the superfluous stuff.

For various reasons I'm not going this year, for the first time - the only regret is that I won't see/hear the Ferrari 1512 which apparently is competing in the Glover Trophy.

Rant over, temporarily - have a good time everyone.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 24 August 2013 - 09:57.

#32 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:13

More like the Festival of Not-Much-Speed....

Every year it seems Goodwood introduce some new gimmick, and then it stays on the programme every year, like the GAS show-offs on mountain bikes with deafening commentary at the Festival, and the pedal-cars at the Revival - only the soapboxes have disappeared, for safety reasons.

And then this year there' a 'celebration' of a cycle race, for heaven's sake - what's that got to do with the price of fish?

All of this 'diversionary' nonsense puts more time pressure on the motor-racing which most go to see, and which the owners pay a lot to take part in (like actors paying to be in a show).

A friend who has been going for years in his classic car decided to skip it this year because it's too expensive for a day's entertainment; he's still being bombarded with sales messages about a 'privilege' carpark for which they'd like him to pay even more. His blood-pressure is getting higher than mine...

Goodwood steadfastly refuse to advertise the raceday timetables, unlike 'normal' race circuits, as they want everyone to buy their expensive souvenir programme to get the racecard; in the past few years I've printed the practise timed sheets on the Friday night to get the race entries and numbers without the superfluous stuff.

For various reasons I'm not going this year, for the first time - the only regret is that I won't see/hear the Ferrari 1512 which apparently is competing in the Glover Trophy.

Rant over, temporarily - have a good time everyone.

Paul M

That's sad to read...oftentimes the steady hand on the tiller approach just gets shouted down in so many things these days...and that can be the beginning of the end :well:

#33 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:53

http://www.goodwood....,ARY9XW,6B527,1
I note that there will be "...60 original bicycles and riders..." - Quite an achievement, some of those original riders must be well over 120!

#34 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:05

http://i1137.photobu...zps83236a5d.jpg
http://i1137.photobu...zpseccec7da.jpg
http://i1137.photobu...zps58e1c214.jpg

For those who might want to know what they are getting for their money and when. ;-)

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 27 August 2013 - 19:17.

#35 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 15:38

Thanks Macca :up:

I see there's no on-track action listed till 10am Sat and Sun...presumably this is when the 'Mods and Rockers' go round the circuit as usual. They didn't seem to get a mention. Looking forward to the Friday evening race :)

Edited by condor, 28 August 2013 - 15:39.

#36 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 15:40

http://i1137.photobu...zps83236a5d.jpg
http://i1137.photobu...zpseccec7da.jpg
http://i1137.photobu...zps58e1c214.jpg

For those who might want to know what they are getting for their money and when. ;-)

Paul M

Yes, thanks!

I don't suppose you may have an entry list for the Goodwood Trophy too please :)  ?

#37 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:19

I'm afraid not - you'd have to PM a TNFer who's racing to see whether they have such a thing and whether they dare let you see it, otherwise wait until the Friday night and look on TSL timing's site or spend loads more money on the official programme/racecard.

Tomorrow is officially testing day on the Goodwood circuit calendar, but a few people were there today amid the builders:

DSCF6947a_zpsb145295f.jpg

DSCF6948a_zps339e47dc.jpg

DSCF6945a_zps3509025f.jpg

DSCF6944a_zpsc8486233.jpg

Paul M

#38 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:35

Last weekend was the 50th anniversary of Graham Hill's win in the Tourist Trophy driving the Ferrari 250 GTO.  Is anything planned at the Goodwood Revival to commemorate this?

Vince H.

#39 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:52

Last weekend was the 50th anniversary of Graham Hill's win in the Tourist Trophy driving the Ferrari 250 GTO.  Is anything planned at the Goodwood Revival to commemorate this?

Vince H.

I don't think they are doing anything special.  Perhaps they will have more GTOs in the "TT Celebration" this year

But it's hard to tell as all the races are still described as "In 2012 we did ...." and have not yet been updated to say "In 2013 we will ....".  Apart from the Fordwater Trophy which this year will be for "Production Sports and GT cars from 1955 to 1960".

The publicists seem to be more focussed on "the fluff" rather than the core activity: The Racing.  Presumably the bean counters have said that the hardcore fans (ie us) will come anyway so they need to focus on the more casual fan, dedicated followers of fashion, cyclists, etc

Edited by D-Type, 29 August 2013 - 14:00.

Advertisement

#40 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 15:35

It is actually fully sold-out now, I believe, so they don't need to update the website..........

Paul M

#41 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:05

I'm afraid not - you'd have to PM a TNFer who's racing to see whether they have such a thing and whether they dare let you see it, otherwise wait until the Friday night and look on TSL timing's site or spend loads more money on the official programme/racecard.

No problem :)

I cannot make the Revival this year but was just interested in what pre war cars may be running.

Edited by Steve L, 29 August 2013 - 17:05.

#42 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:13

Hi friends.

Is there still no list of Drivers available for this years Goodwood Revival?

#43 RogerGraham

RogerGraham

• 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:42

I went to the Festival last year with my brother.  We couldn't get tickets for the Friday, so we just went to the entry gate near the large field, and waited.  It only took about 10 minutes before we both had general entry tickets from people who were offering their spares being going in.  It's worth a try!

(We got a single grandstand ticket as well, which got us both into the grandstand when needed - one of us would enter the grandstand, then drop a bag holding the ticket to the other.  We didn't feel too guilty, since the grandstands on Friday were mostly empty for some reason.)

#44 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 13:16

I ordered my Sunday ticket on August 3rd, and it hasn't yet arrived.  Ought I to be concerned? 

While I'm at it, my original travel plans have changed somewhat, I wonder if anybody might be heading down from the Cheshire area on the Saturday and would like to have company and of course my share of the travel expenses?  I don't smell too much but have been known to drop off and snore a little.

Rob :wave:     

#45 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 15:13

I ordered my Sunday ticket on August 3rd, and it hasn't yet arrived.  Ought I to be concerned? 

While I'm at it, my original travel plans have changed somewhat, I wonder if anybody might be heading down from the Cheshire area on the Saturday and would like to have company and of course my share of the travel expenses?  I don't smell too much but have been known to drop off and snore a little.

Best check with the Ticket Office Tel 01243- 755055

Bill

#46 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 15:37

Thanks Bill, have done, I was told it was sent out yesterday.  I was also told they don't send them out immediately in order to discourage trading on eBay and such like. 

Doesn't seem to be 100% fool proof though - I wonder which member of the GRRC is giving up a couple of his free (I understand) paddock passes to make a killing out of someone with more money than sense? 

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cd5303379

Very generous though offering free post and packing.

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 30 August 2013 - 15:39.

#47 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 16:27

Does anyone know anything more about the content of the Jim Clark tribute?   Just wondered what cars are likely to appear.

#48 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 20:18

Thanks Bill, have done, I was told it was sent out yesterday.  I was also told they don't send them out immediately in order to discourage trading on eBay and such like. 

Doesn't seem to be 100% fool proof though - I wonder which member of the GRRC is giving up a couple of his free (I understand) paddock passes to make a killing out of someone with more money than sense? 

Rob

this ebayer is 'kidding'??

....Paddock Passes for Sunday 16th September

or even April 1st??? :clap:

Regards Michael

#49 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:25

The GRRC doesn't like this - the seller is traced and removed from the Club as noted in their latest letter.

Bill 

Edited by bill p, 31 August 2013 - 13:18.

#50 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 91 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:05

Does anyone have informations which drivers will apear at the Goodwood Revival this year? CanĀ“t find the "whos driving what" at the Goodwood homepage!